Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Geight posted:

What happens to a big stack of dudes when war is declared?

Just spread them out like if they suprise attack you within your borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

JVNO posted:

Do Saka Horse Archer's not upgrade at all?

Welp... Turns out they do upgrade... directly into field cannons. Holy poo poo, time to drown the world in machine guns.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Yeah it felt weird going from a 4 movement, 1 tile Ranged unit into a 2 movement, 2 tile ranged unit, and then finally into a 2 movement, 1 tile ranged unit. Scythia is weird.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I had a bunch of level 7 unique horse archers... I thought they wouldn't get anymore powerful, so I just decided to build a bunch more to make armies. Then I realized they turned into field cannons, when I'm already way ahead in tech.

:getin:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
So i just did a test run for a Germany ICS strat, and the biggest take away is that you can't build a district from a different city next to a city. However you can settle next to a district that's already been laid. So you have to be aware of how you settle your cities. Given this requirement and the understanding that maps will be laid out less then optimal ways, I think you are better off making "diamonds" of cities. Or perhaps even a smaller ring of say 5 cities with a high yield tile in the middle of them that they can share.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Taear posted:

Five tiles is too close. My cities tend to be really far apart, ten turns walk. It worked fine in every other civ game but it hurts far too much because of production costs in this one.
Which I'm sure is deliberate but it loving sucks. I'm a tall player, I like distant really good cities.

So you go into a new game already sure how you want to play it and get annoyed when it isn't what you expected?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm having a weird bug that I can't find any answers on. If I play in full screen mode, all the civ leaders have white/grey hair (including facial hair). If I play in windowed mode they are all glitchy like this:

I've tried messing around with video settings, verifying game files, and updating video drivers. Everything else in the game looks fine; it's very strange. Has anyone else seen something like this?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I just started a game and right near my spawn point was a barbarian camp with a horseman, a slinger, and and a spearman. I couldn't get to the camp and in 5 turns it spawned two more horse archers and another horseman

motherbox
Jul 19, 2013

It looks like the Mac version is available for 20% off on GMG: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-mac/

Anyone know if activating that key on Steam would give me both versions? My primary machine is a PC, but I have a Mac laptop...wouldn't mind being able to play on both.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Radish posted:

I'm having a weird bug that I can't find any answers on. If I play in full screen mode, all the civ leaders have white/grey hair (including facial hair). If I play in windowed mode they are all glitchy like this:

I've tried messing around with video settings, verifying game files, and updating video drivers. Everything else in the game looks fine; it's very strange. Has anyone else seen something like this?

ẁ̡͕͓̟̼̩̍̉̀̓̎̅̀͑̀é̡̢̝̺̙̲̼̥̞̀͋͐̽͜͠ h̨̥͎͍̝̰̄̃̆̂̒̋͜ͅa̟̗̦̱͚̯̪̪̞̬͋̌̏͑̿͐v̡͚͍̊̂̓͒͌͢͢ȇ̛̮͓̫̖̖͈̫̬̎͌̉̆͊̐͡ s̛̳̹̠͇̯̳̗̉̎̏͑̉͘ṵ̢̨̻̮̘̩͕͉̈́͛̉͌͂͠c̷̜̠͇̬̰͉͉̣͚͆̋̈͊̏̈́̎̄̽͞ḫ̬͖̗͛̃̎̉̾͢͡ s̸͕͖͇̘̰̖͗̏͊̀̿̐̚i̡̪̜̯͇̼̣͓͂̅̆̂͛̆̚ͅg̶̡̡̞̥̤͕͑̐̅̈͗ͅh̷̨̥͖͈̺̼̪̑̄̀͌͗͟͟ͅt̡̛̞͓̺͗̉͒̚̕͢͢s̸͍̜̙͉̟̳̥̥̅̏̿͛̚͘͢ t̠̟̱̞͒̅̓̕͟͡o̷̯̭̮̲͈̮̖̺͒̓̑̈́̓̅̈́͘͢ ṣ̵̫̜͙̺͒̍͊͊̓̋͒͘͝͡ḫ̴̛̖͍̬͚͂͗̏̌̽͠ṍ̴͇̦͓͕̫̺̼̊̑̅̂w̡̧͎̳͇̬̮̭̮͐̔͛̿͢͡ y̹͍̼͎̠͌͗͂̓̏́̃̕o̻͉͙̝͓̤͚͆̒̀̇̆̑u̖̪̩̺͍̥̒́͛̀̂̃

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
This game really makes me wish I had refunded it while I had the chance. It ran great for the first couple days, then it stopped working entirely and I reinstalled it. Now the following bugs occur:

-When I load into a multiplayer game after the setup, I crash to desktop. I have to be reinvited to the game and it works then.
-50% chance I have to reload each turn.
-I CANNOT FOUND A RELIGION. When I get a Prophet and have him found a religion, the Choose Religion button is there but just makes a noise and doesn't work. The Religion menu button and keyboard both produce just noise but no window.

:smith:

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

motherbox posted:

It looks like the Mac version is available for 20% off on GMG: https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/sid-meiers-civilization-vi-mac/

Anyone know if activating that key on Steam would give me both versions? My primary machine is a PC, but I have a Mac laptop...wouldn't mind being able to play on both.
It's the same entry on steam, so yes you'll be able to play on either.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Tenkaris posted:

This game really makes me wish I had refunded it while I had the chance. It ran great for the first couple days, then it stopped working entirely and I reinstalled it. Now the following bugs occur:

-When I load into a multiplayer game after the setup, I crash to desktop. I have to be reinvited to the game and it works then.
-I CANNOT FOUND A RELIGION. When I get a Prophet and have him found a religion, the Choose Religion button is there but just makes a noise and doesn't work. The Religion menu button and keyboard both produce just noise but no window.

Ask anyway. At worst they'll say no.

The steam refund page posted:

There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Ask anyway. At worst they'll say no.

Yeah, I went ahead and submitted a request. If they allow it, I'll buy the game later after patches, maybe on a sale. If they don't, I'll play it once some patches fix this nonsense!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Holy poo poo Scythia is fun early game. Get horses before another Civ gets walls and you get their cities. I stacked their Civ bonus with the +100% ancient/classical cavalry production and the -1 unit cost and cities just melt in front of you.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Powercrazy posted:

Gotcha. I'm going to try a German ICS game tonight. minimum city distance, Hansa and commerical district diamonds and campuses for every city. I imagine after 100 turns I'll be stomping.

With that configuration both Hansa's will be getting a minimum of a +4 bonus before any other considerations. Add some internal trade routes, and I should be able to grab most of the medieval wonders pretty easily.

Everyone playing Germany should use this strat whether tall or wide.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Is there crashing and stability problem reported generally, or is it just a few? I've never heard of anyone experiencing this:

Tenkaris posted:

This is PC gaming. I have no idea what you play on. You might have built it yourself and not have the slightest clue what you're doing. You might have some lovely app in the background or you might have made config changes for something that now effects this. I wouldn't be so quick to blame the software, do you have another computer you can try it on?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Tony Montana posted:

So you go into a new game already sure how you want to play it and get annoyed when it isn't what you expected?

It's a sequel to a series I've played every iteration of (I didn't play 3 much) where tall worked alright. I'm not saying it was optimal but I could definitely do it. I don't particularly feel like expecting it to work is that far fetched.

Like if I picked up Crusader Kings 3 and couldn't play France I'd be pretty miffed.

Starting near an AI even on King is really interesting to watch. By turn 15 on Standard Saladin had improvements on every strategic resource in his land, 4 warriors and a horseman. Stop cheating you horrible green bastard.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I wish the game would actually randomize the starting locations a bit. Everytime I've tried hotseat with a friend as player 1 and player 2 the game has put us right next to each other. This is amateur work! :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Khagan posted:

Everyone playing Germany should use this strat whether tall or wide.

If you're Germany, you don't have to kill all the city-states, do you? It seems awfully mean.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Well, I like the new road system. It seems to make more sense and why should I just do the busy work of hooking up all my cities with roads. If you want to build a road to somewhere other than a city (?) then you have those military engineers.

I also think the worker system is better. A worker has a finite amount of work they'll do, my first one I built I was looking for the 'automate' button. There is none because you should be carefully picking what to spend those resources on, in the same way vet Civ players would always tell you to manually drive the workers.

Runs like a dream, looks absolutely beautiful at 3440x1440, with simple ini tweaks I've resized all the fonts so they're both readable and look normal at that resolution.

I'm waiting for the game to turn into the shocking turd some people claim it to be..

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

prefect posted:

If you're Germany, you don't have to kill all the city-states, do you? It seems awfully mean.

toronto gets to live

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Tony Montana posted:

Well, I like the new road system. It seems to make more sense and why should I just do the busy work of hooking up all my cities with roads. If you want to build a road to somewhere other than a city (?) then you have those military engineers.

I also think the worker system is better. A worker has a finite amount of work they'll do, my first one I built I was looking for the 'automate' button. There is none because you should be carefully picking what to spend those resources on, in the same way vet Civ players would always tell you to manually drive the workers.

Runs like a dream, looks absolutely beautiful at 3440x1440, with simple ini tweaks I've resized all the fonts so they're both readable and look normal at that resolution.

I'm waiting for the game to turn into the shocking turd some people claim it to be..

Play a game to completion and you'll realize how shallow and superficial the win conditions and diplomacy are. You're right that there are some great changes, but overall I lost interest after just 2 games because of how boring the gameplay becomes after the first hundred turns.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I agree you should be manually doing to improvements because that is better. But for accessibility it was nice having the auto mate option. Also once I've built my "core" of cities I don't feel or care about managing workers or improvements while I'm trying to fight a war, especially in multiplayer when people are waiting for me to finish my turn.

E: bring back Public Works

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Prav posted:

toronto gets to live

Because that's where Rush is from. :rock:

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

prefect posted:

Some of them get to live for sure. Otherwise you're wasting Barbarossa's UA, when you could be doing the Civ6 equivalent of stealing a worker in Civ5.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Radish posted:

gilgamesh son of lugulbanda and ninsun demands you kneel

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Holy poo poo Scythia is fun early game. Get horses before another Civ gets walls and you get their cities. I stacked their Civ bonus with the +100% ancient/classical cavalry production and the -1 unit cost and cities just melt in front of you.

I don't think I've ever seen an AI city without walls, maybe some lovely city state on like turn 10.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I never want to hear "from the first stirrings of life beneath water" again. :argh:

Also, I turned on leader animations and boy are they creepy.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

prefect posted:

I never want to hear "from the first stirrings of life beneath water" again. :argh:

Why does it play during loading, it's the worst.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

prefect posted:

They're real good, actually.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

prefect posted:

I like pigs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would like for diplomacy to be extremely quick and not involve the slow fading in of the leader animation and then yet another slow fade of the options. It's even worse when the only button is "Goodbye"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So far there's a lot I like about Civ 6 but the essentially-random AI is sorta killing the fun for me right now. I'm sure that'll be improved eventually, if only because Civ 5's AI seemed to get better with expansions.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would like for diplomacy to be extremely quick and not involve the slow fading in of the leader animation and then yet another slow fade of the options. It's even worse when the only button is "Goodbye"

The multiplayer version of diplomacy is great. You don't get a screen at all, you get a little button you can click on, and if you never click on it, you never see the other leaders at all even when they are mad at you for settling a city, or moving your army around.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I can't believe I'm saying something good about Beyond Earth's interface but the way that they showed other leaders' opinion changes as one-liners on the main screen was much better than the current method. I guess they want to get their money's worth out of those leader animations though

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Not trying to sound contrary but I dont get the hate for the AI. Its still as poor as any AI like every other game has, but I dont have this problem everyone else seems to about keeping them happy and thm instantly wanting to kill you (except you find some AI will always war you fairly early, and almost never succeed anyway).

After you play a few games their primary concern is easy to spot. I would say the penalty should be less harsh earlier in the game than say later eras but thats easy to tweak.

For example. Cleo hates if you have no army, so either build one if shes near you, or wait for her to war you and trash hers (then get a great peace deal because the AI is dumb).

Some are more annoying like Germany hating on your for saying hi to a city state one time, but in principle its good to have computer civs that have an agenda, and much like a person, dont appreciate you messing with it too much. I think it just needs fine tuned is all. The dislike just needs to trickle in over a longer time and it would be much better.

Also if they hate you because you are winning by a mile thats sensible. My humble opinion is move up a difficulty. Even immortal is easy when you get to grips with the game a bit which is a probblem with AI warring ability more than anything.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Anyone could begin playing a Deity game and observe if the AI begins hating you despite being behind in the metrics in order to test this.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Decrepus posted:

Anyone could begin playing a Deity game and observe if the AI begins hating you despite being behind in the metrics in order to test this.

Be the research that you want to see in the world, Gandhi Bapu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Yesterday I fired up a regular small game as Pericles. My immediate neighbour was... Pericles.

I think the dual leader system for Greece means that the game chooses a civilization to fill the random civ spot, but then rolls for a leader (rather than just randomly rolling for a leader) but it doesn't exclude your own.

I went for a cultural win after destroying him and got the selfie achievement so hooray.

Oh and the Acropolis district can only be built on hills. Not that the Civilopedia ever says anything about terrain requirements. God this versions's Civilopedia is bad and horrible with humor and explanations. They need to hire a better writer.