Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

yamcha's such a loser i'm fairly certain jaco could kill him with nothing but his right fist

Well yeah, Jaco is a super-elite who proved his worth against the forces of Frieza while Yamcha was told to stay home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I think it was speculated on a bit here, and me and my roommate discussed it pretty heavily at the time--but my favorite theory is that, opposite the blue form, Trunks' new form is pure unbridled rage. Not "you killed my best friend" rage, not "I can't keep up with Kakarot" rage, but "my life has been absolute poo poo for the past decade and I keep losing friends and there's no end in sight and it just keeps getting worse and the self-absorbed rear end in a top hat that vaporized my mother in front of me is TRYING TO TELL ME THAT IT'S ALL MY FAULT SOMEHOW" rage. Like, borderline insanity rage. Anger beyond all anger is a pretty easy hyperbole to make in anime, but holy poo poo if anyone could justify being the maddest it is Trunks after that speech the bad guys gave him.

He bulked up a little when he changed, his eyes blanked out, and people on here joked that the blue aura + yellow aura would make a green aura. I was almost convinced that it was totally heading that direction... that Super was, without necessarily canonizing Broly, retroactively suggest that Broly wasn't the legendary super saiyan... he'd just obtained a form that only 200% rage could reach. Trunks would have earned it by being ritualistically hosed at every angle. Broly reached it by... uh, being mentally impaired.

They didn't end up going there (Trunks didn't bulk any further, nor did his aura turn green), but it sounded really good at the time.

Going off this Broly actually makes sense when you consider Saiyans gain power from anger, and Broly is an insane person that's angry 100% of the time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I like that Jaco's moves are mostly just whipping out a loving piece in XV2.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
the poll was edited to add zamasu, i demand a revote

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neo_Crimson posted:

Going off this Broly actually makes sense when you consider Saiyans gain power from anger, and Broly is an insane person that's angry 100% of the time.

yea it does track. The whole point of the transformation started as 'tap into your people's passion and anger' and all, if that's how it starts then it's fairly logical to say some dude who's just jacked up on rage 24/7 probably could become the strongest psychopath ever.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Does anybody know the name of the episode of the original English DBZ dub where Hercule is travelling through the desert, and he sees the sign that says "Beer", but they shoddily edited the word "Root" over the top of it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The talk of Broly further up reminded me.

Have any of you guys seen how Broly's creator's "review" of Battle of Gods was him talking about how Broly was a better character and totally scarier and stronger than Beerus?

It's hilariously sad.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

TFRazorsaw posted:

The talk of Broly further up reminded me.

Have any of you guys seen how Broly's creator's "review" of Battle of Gods was him talking about how Broly was a better character and totally scarier and stronger than Beerus?

It's hilariously sad.
Eh I think that's a kind of ungenerous way of reading what he said.

From Kanzenshuu:

Koyama posted:

On Sunday the 7th, in the middle of a spring storm, I headed out to Apollo Cinema 8 in Tennoji, Osaka, near my regular lodgings, and watched it surrounded by children. It was a little embarrassing.

It was my first experience watching from the audience a Dragon Ball Z theatrical feature that I hadn’t handled the script for myself. It felt a bit strange.
Next to me, a young couple watched cosily together. I bet they could scarcely imagine that the old fogey with thinning hair sitting next to them was the one who handled the scripts of all 13 Dragon Ball Z theatrical movies.
But that’s not important to me.

And so, the movie began.
I was surprised right from the opening.
Once it started with the familiar “waves crashing into rocks” opening that is a byword for Toei, it then went into the 20th Century Fox opening, and continued with a credit for Toei Animation. Such wonderment. Actually, it’s because 20th Century Fox was involved in the production. I know the situation and some behind-the-scenes stories concerning that, but it’s top-secret information, so I can’t write about it.

And so, as for substance of the issue at hand…….

In handling the scripts for the films, what I always worried about each time was the problem of what to do about the opponent Goku fights against. That’s because, at the very least, they had to be stronger than [the ones from] the previous movie.
After much hard work, I was unable to come up with an opponent stronger than Broli, and fell into a rut where I made him appear three times.
That is to say, there’s the matter of questioning the idea of Broli as the strongest. As you are well aware, vehement opinions on the subject have been flying back and forth on this message board, as well as a variety of [other] websites.

For this time, Goku’s opponent, designed by Toriyama-sensei, was even a God of Destruction.
In the world of Dragon Ball Z, that’s a setting where even Broli, before the God of Destruction, would face a gap like that between a Yokozuna and the very bottom of the sumo ranks. That Broli, reduced to a pushover.

Only, from the impression I got of the character on the screen, Broli was scarier, no contest. Am I the only one who found that Broli looked overwhelmingly frightening? Or am I just biased towards my own creation?

Any more than this would become a spoiler, so I’ll hold off on it, but Noppo would like to hear the impressions of the Broli fans….

By all means, please see this work, which had a turnout of one million people in the first six days it was out.
To me it sounds more like surprise that Toriyama didn't make a traditionally "scary" character in Beerus, as Koyama had tried to do with his the villains in his own movies, and wanting to know what people think as a result. It doesn't quite read like whining to me- he even tells people to go see the movie.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ImpAtom posted:

Hey, I'll gladly listen to you list Yamcha's impressive moments!

1) Routinely hammered his way through tournament prelims.
2) Learned the kamehameha without any instruction. Used it alongside other cool moves he invented.
3) Put literal god (at that point) on his rear end with one of those moves.
4) Climbed the Karin pole, trained with an old cat, a green alien, a blue alien and a black man.
5) Beat a weird alien growth that was as powerful as Raditz (who creamed post-Dragonball Goku and Piccolo at the same time) easily in a fair fight.
6) Long term boyfriend of richest girl in the world.
7) Cheated on her repeatedly and then even when they broke up kept turning up to parties and gatherings like it was no big deal.
8) Survived a lot of x gravity.
9) Released a hit single.
10) Professional baseball player.
11) Beerus is afraid of him.
12) Gohan's hero.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Also Yamcha-Tien is one of the best fights in the series.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

Also Yamcha-Tien is one of the best fights in the series.

It's not even a better fight that Krillin/Goku in the same tournament. Or even Tien/Roshi.

Flippinlikebirds
Feb 2, 2007
I'm an ideas man Michael. I think I proved that with Fuck Mountain.
Wolf fang fist is a dope attack

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I am shocked, SHOCKED there are Yamcha apologists in this thread.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flippinlikebirds posted:

Wolf fang fist is a dope attack

So does Yamcha actually transform into a wolf when he does Wold Fang Fist? Its not entirely clear, and turning into a wolf is not an unreasonable power for kung fu in the dragonball universe.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Last Celebration posted:

It's not even a better fight that Krillin/Goku in the same tournament. Or even Tien/Roshi.

Krillin-Goku is one of the "I was only playing, you never had a chance" boring Goku shitfests, right?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Raxivace posted:

Eh I think that's a kind of ungenerous way of reading what he said.

From Kanzenshuu:
To me it sounds more like surprise that Toriyama didn't make a traditionally "scary" character in Beerus, as Koyama had tried to do with his the villains in his own movies, and wanting to know what people think as a result. It doesn't quite read like whining to me- he even tells people to go see the movie.

I dunno man. The part about how "Broly is reduced to a pushover" makes it all feel like sour grapes.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

sassassin posted:

Krillin-Goku is one of the "I was only playing, you never had a chance" boring Goku shitfests, right?

Only because he didn't know about Goku's tail weakness being fixed. God, that makes Raditz suck even more , doesn't it?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

sassassin posted:

Yamcha never had a realistic shot against Tien either, to be fair.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno man. The part about how "Broly is reduced to a pushover" makes it all feel like sour grapes.

Not really? The guy's saying that's how DBZ works and that a God of Destruction in a world where the average fighter can wipe the surface of the planet clean is going to be a Big loving Deal.

And Beerus is, the joke is just that he's lazy and doesn't look the part. We've seen him stop loving around all of once and there wasn't even a fight, just someone getting erased from time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Which, in turn, makes Whis, Vados, and the High Priest all the more absurd.

There's also Zeno but the guy who can turn off universes isn't really even a fighter anymore.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rodyle posted:

There's also Zeno but the guy who can turn off universes isn't really even a fighter anymore.

You can bet that Goku sees it as a fighting move, and is thinking about ways to beat it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
At the end of the day, sour grapes or no, that dude can eat it because Broly sucked.

In a world of angry muscle mans, what if there was THE ANGRIEST MUSCLE MAN?????? One movie was enough, three was just grating.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It's not even like they came up with something new. He's just Vegeta again with SSJ this time. It's essentially the same line of thinking that gave us Golden Apes and SSJ4.

Zamasu
Nov 4, 2016

I'm just being self-absorbed.
It doesn't matter if no one's listening.

TheKingofSprings posted:

And Beerus is, the joke is just that he's lazy and doesn't look the part. We've seen him stop loving around all of once and there wasn't even a fight, just someone getting erased from time.
After being obliterated by Beerus, I woke up to find myself in Mr. Satan's amusement park. It was a bizarre place, filled with screaming children, bright lights, and sweaty human scum. My ki blade wouldn't work, and my beautiful robes were gone! They replaced my robes with a Mr. Satan-themed barista outfit. So ugly!

Now I frantically serve tea and drinks to impatient and ungrateful humans all day long, and get written up by my manager whenever I use back talk. He told me to forget about my Zero Humans Plan and to get back on register. Is this Hell?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Zamasu posted:

After being obliterated by Beerus, I woke up to find myself in Mr. Satan's amusement park. It was a bizarre place, filled with screaming children, bright lights, and sweaty human scum. My ki blade wouldn't work, and my beautiful robes were gone! They replaced my robes with a Mr. Satan-themed barista outfit. So ugly!

Now I frantically serve tea and drinks to impatient and ungrateful humans all day long, and get written up by my manager whenever I use back talk. He told me to forget about my Zero Humans Plan and to get back on register. Is this Hell?

The gimmick was funny for the first post at least

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Zamasu posted:

No it's HFIL

Zamasu
Nov 4, 2016

TheKingofSprings posted:

drat, a big swing and a miss. Is it too late to break character? I thought the Mr. Satan barista bit was funny, but I'm not trying to annoy you guys. I'll work on writing better material.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
At some point it becomes straight up rp my dude

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You don't need to RP as the character your account is named after

Zamasu
Nov 4, 2016

Raserys posted:

At some point it becomes straight up rp my dude

Augus posted:

Understood! Thanks for the feedback. :)

Rodyle posted:

Which, in turn, makes Whis, Vados, and the High Priest all the more absurd.
Couldn't Whis just abuse his time-reversing ability and rewind things if he made a terrible mistake during a serious fight? Say there's a fully-charged Kamehameha flying right at his face, couldn't he just rewind the attack and evade it completely? That's even more broken than Hit's time skip.

Plus, since he's an angel, Goku's Genki-dama wouldn't work on him, right? On the other hand, I'm assuming the Genki-dama would work on Beerus.

Zamasu fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 5, 2016

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Augus posted:

I'm enjoying it at least :blush:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Zamasu posted:

Couldn't Whis just abuse his time-reversing ability and rewind things if he made a terrible mistake during a serious fight? Say there's a fully-charged Kamehameha flying right at his face, couldn't he just rewind the attack and evade it completely? That's even more broken than Hit's time skip.

True but Whis can only do it like, once a month due to how much power he needs to do that

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I for one find the idea of Zamasu's personal hell being having to constantly serve tea to people to be great.

Goku's personal hell is a math class that he can't punch his way out of.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

TheKingofSprings posted:

Rude

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Zamasu is my friend

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Mikedawson posted:

I for one find the idea of Zamasu's personal hell being having to constantly serve tea to people to be great.

If the teacher fixated on the mathematics of power levels and punch strength, using it to teach Goku would it be heaven or hell?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

tsob posted:

If the teacher fixated on the mathematics of power levels and punch strength, using it to teach Goku would it be heaven or hell?

if understanding it was necessary to become strong it would be pure hell for goku

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mikedawson posted:

Goku's hell would be trapped in a room with an angry Ch-Chi yelling at him for eternity.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

the character gimmick account thing is best just used sparingly when you can make it funny you dont need to do it all the time. you can make regular posts too. its all good though dude

so I saw that Super's subs were starting to get put up on Funimation's site but do we know when to expect the dub to start coming out? I want to watch Super with the voices I'm used to as soon as it's out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a gimmick account

• Locked thread