Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
The fact that you thought this was a "GOTCHA" question is even more funny than you actually thinking that it were true.

Ween Snipe:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIE2ZoeFZtA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

cig is further along and has the best chance of any studio to build a game with the scope of star citizen.

one word answer: true or false

Further along at what?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

XK posted:

Further along at what?

They are the industry leader in extracting wealth from gullible space nerds with too much disposable income and are further along in the field than anyone else.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

I disagree. He did it because it's a blatant feature that's one of the check marks in the original pledge. Remember that he had already gone out and said that "it was already in the game". Clearly the uproar over that one, not to mention the media coverage, showed him that he simply couldn't wave that off. Also not to mention that removing a feature - any feature - from the original pledge, is an insta-refund reason.

He could have touted any number of things for 2.6 - or nothing at all - and it won't have made a different if SM was in it or not. But by doing it, he again created a huge liability that he's now facing the backlash from. He could simply have not said anything, left it alone, continued to push SM type updates to the PU in 2.6 and higher, held his position that "it was already in the game" and he would have been able to sidestep that liability entirely. But that would've been too easy because as you know: This is CIG. There's always more; and it's always worse.

MeLKoR posted:

I think it was more a matter of "poo poo, lot's of people got pissed about when I told them it was already in the game, how hard can it be to poo poo something up? I can even tell them it will take longer than that and use SM to gain time to do other poo poo".

I just can't understand why the gently caress he would even mention the drat thing before it was 99% done. I mean, how loving stupid can you be?

'Hmm, it sure was embarrassing back last year when we promised Star Marine for months on end and then didn't deliver it, glad that most people have forgiven/forgotten about that but hey! I've just had a great idea. Let's re-promise it!'

The right way to deal with it, especially if they felt they were obliged to make it, would have been to quietly make the drat thing without saying a word about it. Then without any hype, release it along with a 'Thank you so much for your support and patience' statement.

Can you imagine what a powerful position that would have put CIG in? Suddenly all these 'secret dev build' crazies would have been vindicated and the faith in 'they have stuff they're not showing us' arguments would have carried them through a couple of years at least.

Admittedly, I'm no marketing genius but that's what I'd have done. Obviously Sandi has a different plan.

Edit: Just :laffo: every time I see the COD:IW advert in the middle of the live Premier League match on the TV. Can't wait until it's a Sq42 advert...Oh, wait. No marketing budget.

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 5, 2016

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

cig is further along and has the best chance of any studio to build a game with the scope of star citizen.

False. Announcing one's dreams and desires and acquiring the funding for it does not equate to capability to perform such an action. Although this question is slightly tricky as the "scope" of Star Citizen waxes and wanes as needed for the conversation at hand.

Frankly, the fact that they have no roadmap or design document hinders the project to a point where it will never be completed. I think this is evident from what they have shown compared to what they have spent and done. This has caused them to spend the majority of development time so far on technical development. Technical development allows a game to exist and function, but does nothing to determine whether a game has good gameplay, which is the central focus of a game. From what we have seen the actual gameplay itself is a second thought, which means that the majority of the scope of Star Citizen may eventually functionally exist, but not exist in a capacity that is interesting, engaging, or fun. I would say that if the game manages to include those features, but is not fun, then they have failed.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

False

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

false.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

False

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.twitch.tv/sevadus

:eyepop:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

True, no other studio would be dumb enough to try to build a game with the scope of star citizen.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

Technically, Lazrin is correct. Since the chance of anyone ever finishing a game with the scope of Star Citizen is 0%, CIG is actually tied for first place here.

They're also furthest along in the sense of someone who jumped off a cliff taking a decisive lead in the race to the bottom.

Wiz fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Nov 5, 2016

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

FDev :grin:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Hey Wiz,
Does Paradox have any, uh, "Over the top" fans similar to Clifford? Do you get unsolicited fruit baskets or random gifts sent to the office? At what level would you feel uncomfortable and possibly worried about crazy fans?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hey Wiz,
Does Paradox have any, uh, "Over the top" fans similar to Clifford? Do you get unsolicited fruit baskets or random gifts sent to the office? At what level would you feel uncomfortable and possibly worried about crazy fans?

Crystal Death's Head vodka.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Because I am not him? He's not the best role model anyways.

So saying that he's pulling stuff out of his rear end is fine but calling him an invertebrate is not? Which are the accepted ways to say he's a cowardly weasel full of poo poo?

You shouldn't do it because he doesn't deserve it. You're talking to a guy that's vastly outnumbered in thread, takes poo poo for his opinions all the time and yet still answers questions, you just maybe you have to ask two or three times, but he's actually part of a discussion not a screaming match of insults.

Talking to people who agree with you can be very boring.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hey Wiz,

Yeah, we get gifts sometimes. We just got a bunch of cookies that had designs from our games, and the HOI team got sent a bunch of old uniforms (not Nazi stuff). The difference is that we don't solicit the gifts or give public attention to the people who give them, so it's really just a nice sign of appreciation from our perspective.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Crystal Death's Head vodka.

I forgot about Hearts of Iron and all the Wheraboos..... I think it would be very disconcerting to get sent Nazi poo poo. :ohdear:

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Yeah, unironically this.

No one can develop a game 'with the scope of Star Citizen' because that scope is both undefined and seemingly infinite. But if you wanted a game about spaceships where you can also EVA or run about and shoot mans where appropriate, then E:D is far closer than SC will ever be.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:
i see a lot of falses, as expected...

but do you guys really believe the right thing to do is to not even try to make a game like star citizen? because that's what i'm seeing. your own cynicism for cig and chris roberts has blinded you.

what would you do if a publisher came out of the gate with a feature-for-feature competitor to star citizen. would you support it and get behind it, because it has all those "controls" that you think are missing? or would you continue being a curmudgeon with the 'cant be done' attitude?

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
Basically you will always have some 'special' fans but it's very rarely a big problem unless you start actively enabling them with access and preferential treatment.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Wiz posted:

Yeah, we get gifts sometimes. We just got a bunch of cookies that had designs from our games, and the HOI team got sent a bunch of old uniforms (not Nazi stuff). The difference is that we don't solicit the gifts or give public attention to the people who give them, so it's really just a nice sign of appreciation from our perspective.

Seems like you are missing out on a PR opportunity here! At least according to the world's most successful president of marketing.

I once purchased my favorite YouTuber, Marbozir, a game on Steam. I think he was a little weirded out by it. Jokes on me though, the next day he got a press/pre-release copy :( . Double joke on me, it was Sid Meir's Civilization: Beyond Earth.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

TheLightPurges posted:

Ironically I think the biggest "blocker" to a mass revolt is Us. They desperately want to have the opposite opinion as naysaying goons and DS ilk they'll eat a whole bunch more poo poo than they normally would just to spite us. Because if they didn't then we'd be right.

You can't have a cult without the naysayers.
It's like having evil without a good, or a day without a night.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lazrin posted:

but do you guys really believe the right thing to do is to not even try to make a game like star citizen? because that's what i'm seeing. your own cynicism for cig and chris roberts has blinded you.

what would you do if a publisher came out of the gate with a feature-for-feature competitor to star citizen. would you support it and get behind it, because it has all those "controls" that you think are missing? or would you continue being a curmudgeon with the 'cant be done' attitude?

You are correct, the right thing is to not even try and make a game like Star Citizen. It is the Homer Simpson car of game development and will result in the same end for its manufacturer.

If a publisher announced a feature-for-feature competitor to star citizen I would laugh cynically, as I did when first learning about the scope of Star Citizen, knowing it will either be radically downscaled or canned.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Wrecked Angle posted:

I just can't understand why the gently caress he would even mention the drat thing before it was 99% done. I mean, how loving stupid can you be?

'Hmm, it sure was embarrassing back last year when we promised Star Marine for months on end and then didn't deliver it, glad that most people have forgiven/forgotten about that but hey! I've just had a great idea. Let's re-promise it!'

The right way to deal with it, especially if they felt they were obliged to make it, would have been to quietly make the drat thing without saying a word about it. Then without any hype, release it along with a 'Thank you so much for your support and patience' statement.

Can you imagine what a powerful position that would have put CIG in? Suddenly all these 'secret dev build' crazies would have been vindicated and the faith in 'they have stuff they're not showing us' arguments would have carried them through a couple of years at least.

Admittedly, I'm no marketing genius but that's what I'd have done. Obviously Sandi has a different plan.

Edit: Just :laffo: every time I see the COD:IW advert in the middle of the live Premier League match on the TV. Can't wait until it's a Sq42 advert...Oh, wait. No marketing budget.

Well remember that he's gotten rich off making promises he can't or has yet to keep.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

You shouldn't do it because he doesn't deserve it. You're talking to a guy that's vastly outnumbered in thread, takes poo poo for his opinions all the time and yet still answers questions, you just maybe you have to ask two or three times, but he's actually part of a discussion not a screaming match of insults.

Talking to people who agree with you can be very boring.

:same:

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

Wiz posted:

You are correct, the right thing is to not even try and make a game like Star Citizen. It is the Homer Simpson car of game development and will result in the same end for its manufacturer.

If a publisher announced a feature-for-feature competitor to star citizen I would laugh cynically, as I did when first learning about the scope of Star Citizen, knowing it will either be radically downscaled or canned.

you should put that kind of can't-do thinking on your resume... it's a real asset to an employer.

i mean, what a downer... why not have hope? is your cynicism that deep?

look throughout history at all the people who said things like that, trying to tear down those people who actually set out to do (and did) something impossible.

if it can or it can't, why not try? why not cheer on those that do?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lazrin posted:

I don't think people here hate the idea of SC. Lots of people here backed it. I think at this juncture they have laid a foundation, codebase wise, that can not support their goals. I think mismanagement has crippled their ability to make the game, as pitched. A lot of effort, time, and funding went to MOCAP/making a movie no one wants to see. I would be willing to support a game that was similar to SC but wasn't afraid to "Cheat" or be "Non-Fidelious". Those cheats/shortcuts/smoke-and-mirrors enable the game to run smoothly. I would support a game where they were making good choices in regards to the engine in use. I would support a game with a tighter focus. Making a fun and engaging FPS is not something you can just tack on to a game. There is a lot of careful balance and work to be done to make them fun. Just adding a FPS component to a space game sounds intriguing when we first hear it, but the more I think about it the more I realize that it probably will be really limited fun wise.

SC's best bet would be to immediately limit the scope, and scale back. Figure out what they have that works, and suspend work on the rest, including Star Marine. Or, raze the Earth, start over with two games built in two different engines, or something. What they are doing does not seem to be working.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Lazrin posted:

you should put that kind of can't-do thinking on your resume... it's a real asset to an employer.

look throughout history at all the people who said things like that, trying to tear down those people who actually set out to do (and did) something impossible.

:dreams:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Lazrin posted:

To his credit, Wiz does work on designing games and has to work with the constraints of a Publisher and both a monetary and time budget. He has worked on some of my favorite games of all time actually, and seems to have a good grasp on what is or is not feasible.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

If star citizen happens and is awesome then we can all play it anyway and have lost absolutely nothing.

If (when) it doesn't happen it will just be significantly funnier.

drluv
Feb 25, 2016

Please do not undercut me in front of the child.

Lazrin posted:

Why would I need to get "behind" a game for it to succeed? This is the thing with Star Citizen, people who have backed act like poo poo on the internet for "saving the pc master race". This is no stupid movement or some political party nor a cult: it is a friggin' game which can never be completed, because the guys in charge don't go by a sane attitude like "well, let's just do the basics and add everything later" but they are constantly changing the scope, the features and the whole game. I want the game I have pledged in 2012, not the bastard of every single "groundbreaking"-gaming idea it has become.

Oh, and this is why CiG is the company who can't bring SC to live. Because they're constantly changing the scope.

drluv fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 5, 2016

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I don't think people here hate the idea of SC. Lots of people here backed it. I think at this juncture they have laid a foundation, codebase wise, that can not support their goals. I think mismanagement has crippled their ability to make the game, as pitched. A lot of effort, time, and funding went to MOCAP/making a movie no one wants to see. I would be willing to support a game that was similar to SC but wasn't afraid to "Cheat" or be "Non-Fidelious". Those cheats/shortcuts/smoke-and-mirrors enable the game to run smoothly. I would support a game where they were making good choices in regards to the engine in use. I would support a game with a tighter focus. Making a fun and engaging FPS is not something you can just tack on to a game. There is a lot of careful balance and work to be done to make them fun. Just adding a FPS component to a space game sounds intriguing when we first hear it, but the more I think about it the more I realize that it probably will be really limited fun wise.

SC's best bet would be to immediately limit the scope, and scale back. Figure out what they have that works, and suspend work on the rest, including Star Marine. Or, raze the Earth, start over with two games built in two different engines, or something. What they are doing does not seem to be working.

i don't disagree with almost anything you said... (i don't think they'd need to start over... but a solid 'reset' after a real assessment at where they are and how to move forward realistically would do wonders.)

logistically, it's crazy to me humans can engineer skyscrapers and superhighways in less time and less money than many large game projects... and make it look easier.

i've asked before in this thread... so what do they do? what would *you* (thread) support? would you jump all over them if they did just that -- stopped and reassessed and rescoped? or would you laud their wakeup call?

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

D_Smart posted:

That. Plus the fact that he is well aware by now that i) he's never going to be able to deliver the game promised ii) the money well is drying up iii) he's going to be torn apart - literally - once this shitshow collapses

And when that happens, people aren't going to be referring to the Microsoft fiasco anymore because they now have something much bigger and which eclipses that: The Star Citizen Fiasco

dibs on the rug and ...

oh yea the car please.

The rug will look great in an model mount.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

trucutru posted:

:drat:

Good job son, see you in the 'ectrum.

See you on the 'rectum!

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lazrin posted:

you should put that kind of can't-do thinking on your resume? it's a real asset to an employer.

No, what I put on my resume is Game Director (aka creative lead) of Stellaris, an actually released title that is currently being played by hundreds of thousands of people every month. This in addition to AI Programmer, AI Lead, Project Lead and CEO of my own game company that once tried to make an MMO with a vast scope that wasn't even a fraction of SC's scope and failed for many of the same reasons SC is failing.

I have ten years in the gaming industry, I've walked the very same path that Roberts did, and what I took out from it was that dreams and creativity are great, but without scoping those dreams properly you will never get anywhere. A dream is not a design document. A vision is not a milestone. Without planning and direction you're not going to accomplish jack squat, no matter how great an idea sounds in your head.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

thatguy posted:

The fact that you thought this was a "GOTCHA" question is even more funny than you actually thinking that it were true.

This. Rhetorical questions are hard to screw up, but he really gave it his best and aced that particular challenge.

Lazrin posted:

but do you guys really believe the right thing to do is to not even try to make a game like star citizen?

That is a completely different and wholly unrelated question.
Someone should probably try it. In fact, quite a few are at the moment. CIG's problem is that they're led by a washed up car salesman with no relevant experience whatsoever, so they're among the least suited imaginable for such a task.

quote:

why not cheer on those that do?

People are cheering for those who do. Chris just isn't one of them — he's a con man, and the only ones cheering for those are the marks that haven't realised what they are yet. He has never tried his hand at anything creative, much less set out to do something impossible. He's just fooled people into thinking that he has, because that's the only thing he's good at: inflating his own importance.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 5, 2016

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

IncredibleIgloo posted:

To his credit, Wiz does work on designing games and has to work with the constraints of a Publisher and both a monetary and time budget. He has worked on some of my favorite games of all time actually, and seems to have a good grasp on what is or is not feasible.

you need those type of people for sure. but you also need the people that push them, that challenge them. the ones that make them think its crazy, because if you're not, do yo really want the boring, reasonable, non-creatives delivering your game?

you'd agree that the bar for 'feasible' is constantly being raised, given technology at least, right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lazrin posted:

i don't disagree with almost anything you said... (i don't think they'd need to start over... but a solid 'reset' after a real assessment at where they are and how to move forward realistically would do wonders.)

Well, sure, starting from zero would do wonders for the game. But now that they have proven that they have wasted years and millions, where would they find the money to continue?

As for what would I support. I would support chapter 11 and giving the backers as much money back as the can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

He's completely baffled about absolutely everything.

• Locked thread