Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

This thread has reached peak TV IV. Good work all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That already happened during the 5-page "I didn't like the writing therefore the paedophile actually wasn't a paedophile" discussion.

Well, that was peak goon. I guess I don't really know what specifically counts as peak TVIV.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Escobarbarian posted:

That already happened during the 5-page "I didn't like the writing therefore the paedophile actually wasn't a paedophile" discussion.

Well, that was peak goon. I guess I don't really know what specifically counts as peak TVIV.

Peak Goon is insisting on engaging with people who have such ridiculous takes.

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

The jury is still open on whether the kid was a paedophile, I think.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Daius posted:

Actually the term is ephebophile, and

:goonsay:

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Daius posted:

A jury of your peers perhaps.

Congrats on finding 12 people who are as bad at watching tv as you are.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Daius posted:

"How young were they? In the pictures?"

So ambiguous!

Daius
Sep 10, 2010

El Jeffe posted:

"How young were they? In the pictures?"

So ambiguous!

Could easily be talking about goats

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Daius posted:

Could easily be talking about goats

:laffo::laffo:

ya got me

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

El Jeffe posted:

rundown of the episodes

I just finished last night, so I'll just talk about them all in this same format -

Nosedive

I really had a lot of fun watching this. Sinister, but silly. Realistic elements, but also kind of implausible. Basically the best version of 'what if facebook, but too much?'. I loved the acting and casting. Just a lot of fun. I like that there was no real twist, but it also went down a surprising road. Probably fourth or fifth best episode of the entire show for me.

Playtest

Really liked this, up until the second swerve ending, because I never really bought it. Still, a very solid episode. Fun premise, a likable lead.

Shut Up and Dance

After Playtest, I couldn't get the idea out of my mind of looking for a big swerve. When Bronn says something about everyone jerking off, I realized that Kenny wasn't just jerking it regular-style, and that he was looking at something he shouldn't have. That made me immediately call back to smiling at the little girl. Wasn't in love with this one, but I think if I was surprised by the twist like others were, I probably would have liked it more.

San Junipero

Loved it. My personal favorite episodes are A Complete History of You and Be Right Back. I think those episodes do the best job of blending a relationship that felt real into 'what if technology, but too much'. This was a top three episode of the show for me, no doubt.

Men Against Fire

Nah. Wasn't surprised, figured out the twist right away. Literally the plot from that poo poo PS3 game, Haze. Even worse than The Waldo Moment

Hated in the Nation

Awesome premise and I really liked the way that they went with a police procedural style episode. The good guys were just so stupid, and did everything exactly the way that the bad guy wanted them to. Very good, but some flaws.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

81sidewinder posted:

Shut Up and Dance

After Playtest, I couldn't get the idea out of my mind of looking for a big swerve. When Bronn says something about everyone jerking off, I realized that Kenny wasn't just jerking it regular-style, and that he was looking at something he shouldn't have. That made me immediately call back to smiling at the little girl. Wasn't in love with this one, but I think if I was surprised by the twist like others were, I probably would have liked it more.

i saw it coming, it's still the best episode.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

it was also a lame way to go about the internet hate mob thing which is a cool jumping off point.

I actually think "the internet hate mob thing" (different from the troll crew in Shut Up and Dance, and usually referred to as "Outrage Culture" in all of the insufferable thinkpieces written about it) is a terrible jumping off point, and that the episode did a good job of making about more than that.

I agree that the characters are mostly from stock, it just didn't bother me. It's sometimes okay for genre pieces to be use mostly stock characters, and Hated in the Nation is not the only Black Mirror episode that does it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Escobarbarian posted:

given how badly you misunderstood my argument it's not suprising you thought that episode was well written

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

boner confessor posted:

given how badly you misunderstood my argument it's not suprising you thought that episode was well written

"the reveal came out of nowhere" is probably equally bad.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Nov 6, 2016

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

Escobarbarian posted:

Oh that's exactly what I was referring to. That was "I acquit" levels of obtuseness.

So I had never seen this show until a few weeks ago. Watched San Junipero with my roommate and got addicted. I'm not sure why I'd been avoiding it thus far, but goddamn even the weak episodes are better than 95% of television.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MokBa posted:

even the weak episodes are better than 95% of television.

I very definitely agree with this assessment. And hell, this is that awkward adjustment period where the show gets used to the Netflix thing, which always has a few stumbling blocks. Next season could be even better!

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

It even followed the Netflix formula by having the last third of the season be the weakest!

JK Playtest kind of ruins that joke.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Playtest is a long way to go for what is essentially a warning about not violating non-disclosure agreements.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I had seen The National Anthem a while ago and kinda enjoyed it, but I gave myself a break from 15 Million Credits once I realized the whole show was gonna be Pretty Bleak and never quite managed to go back to it. But the rave about the new season brought me back, and oh boy. Haven't quite catched up on all the episodes yet, but I've enjoyed:
1. what if social networks, but too much
2. what if the othering, but too much
3. what if hatemobs, but too much
and my absolute favorite,
4. what if you bawling your loving eyes out like a baby at an otherwise by-the-book romance story, but too much
Jesus that was a quality hour about gay grandmas cybering. The premise wasn't that out there compared to other episodes, and it had the potential go to a lot more, uh, Black Mirrory at the end, but it just goes to show that sometimes a great story is all about the execution.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Gay Grandmas Cybering should be the new title for the thread, really.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'll give my reviews as well since I just watched the latest season last night.

Nosedive

I feel like if you remove the rating system in this one it's just a comedy, very enjoyable. Felt a bit like Bridesmaids. Loved the speech at the end. Though the cell scene at the end, what are we supposed to be getting from that? Is the moral of the story that we need the freedom to just be rude dicks sometimes?

Playtest

Legit scared the crap out of me. Looking forward to getting my own mushroom installed. Someone mentioned there was some ambiguity about whether or not he was "still in it"? Not sure I caught that. I think once the narrative switched from his perspective it's pretty clear that he's brain dead or something, unless I missed something.

Shut Up and Dance

I fell for it, I felt bad for the kid and everything. I kept thinking "why doesn't he just let them expose him, everyone jerks off", they did a good job of revealing what was really going on right at the point where I'm like "no loving way he'd rather fight to the death than be seen jerking off".

Did they explain the cake? I must have missed some dialogue or something because the cake seemed pretty pointless, the rest of the stuff seemed geared at making the victims have an internal struggle about not wanting to reveal their "misdeeds", but the cake... was just a cake, right?

San Junipero

Stylistically this was a great episode, esthetically everything looked and sounded great, I even loved the title cards when they were time traveling. Unfortunately the whole premise was pretty boring to me. All I could think was, they have the power to upload your consciousness and all they do with it is create a "heaven" to just dance and gently caress in? Part two of the white christmas special I felt did a better job of exploring how a mind upload might be used.

Men Against Fire

I thought it was an interesting concept, but I didn't understand the ending. He decided to wipe his memory again? Or was this his punishment? Why isn't he back killing roaches?

Hated in the Nation

Interesting but the way the technology worked was too "magical" to me. The leap from controlling one bee to owning the whole system and then triggering a kill everyone routine by shutting it down seems a little too... well, why not just kill everyone in the first place? I feel like they got too caught up in trying to make a plausible cat and mouse game that they lost sight of the fact that the "hacker" could do anything he wanted at any time with the bees. Not sure how they could've saved this one, the whole premise needs reworking to fit into the crime procedural format.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ElCondemn posted:

Nosedive

I feel like if you remove the rating system in this one it's just a comedy, very enjoyable. Felt a bit like Bridesmaids. Loved the speech at the end. Though the cell scene at the end, what are we supposed to be getting from that? Is the moral of the story that we need the freedom to just be rude dicks sometimes?

It was just showing that they were so happy to finally be able to actually say what they wanted to without fear of being rated.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

Playtest

Legit scared the crap out of me. Looking forward to getting my own mushroom installed. Someone mentioned there was some ambiguity about whether or not he was "still in it"? Not sure I caught that. I think once the narrative switched from his perspective it's pretty clear that he's brain dead or something, unless I missed something.

There isn't actually anything solid to suggest it, but it would kinda fit in with how the mushroom exploits his greatest fears. Childhood bully, spiders, intense pain, losing his mind, losing his mother, and the biggest one that everyone shares: death.

quote:

Did they explain the cake? I must have missed some dialogue or something because the cake seemed pretty pointless, the rest of the stuff seemed geared at making the victims have an internal struggle about not wanting to reveal their "misdeeds", but the cake... was just a cake, right?

Not sure how the cake fit in thematically but I did like how they had to carry this package around thinking it was a bomb or some poo poo, and it turned out to be a cake :v:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

El Jeffe posted:

Not sure how the cake fit in thematically but I did like how they had to carry this package around thinking it was a bomb or some poo poo, and it turned out to be a cake :v:

Well, *I* did like how they had to carry this package around thinking it was a cake or some poo poo, and it turned out to be a gun :colbert:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

precision posted:

It was just showing that they were so happy to finally be able to actually say what they wanted to without fear of being rated.

Yeah, that makes sense, it was a kind of catharsis.

El Jeffe posted:

There isn't actually anything solid to suggest it, but it would kinda fit in with how the mushroom exploits his greatest fears. Childhood bully, spiders, intense pain, losing his mind, losing his mother, and the biggest one that everyone shares: death.

I don't know that this idea really fits, the rules about the survival horror game were part of the malfunction. Everything was his perspective up until we cut back to him in the first room 0.04 seconds after starting. Even the whack a mole scene didn't happen in reality. We as the viewers know what he experienced from his perspective but the people running the test only record that he called out for his mom.

To me it doesn't make sense that they'd change the narrative focus from the perspective of Cooper to the test runners as a way to further his narrative of the hallucination experience. It makes more sense to me that they're just using the old perspective flip trope. The story begins from one perspective and switches to another perspective as a way to change the way we interpret the original perspective. We thought he was experiencing a malfunction with the second survival horror game, but it turns out the malfunction was way earlier than that due to his cell phone being on.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Nov 7, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

I'll give my reviews as well since I just watched the latest season last night.

Hated in the Nation

Interesting but the way the technology worked was too "magical" to me. The leap from controlling one bee to owning the whole system and then triggering a kill everyone routine by shutting it down seems a little too... well, why not just kill everyone in the first place? I feel like they got too caught up in trying to make a plausible cat and mouse game that they lost sight of the fact that the "hacker" could do anything he wanted at any time with the bees. Not sure how they could've saved this one, the whole premise needs reworking to fit into the crime procedural format.

I haven't seen anyone discuss the twist/swerve(even though it's a stretch to call it that even though the episode built up to it) at the end of this episode. I thought it was weak af, probably my least favorite part of the episode. It just added another banal trope to an episode already featuring a lot of them, instead of doing anything to subvert said prior tropes or add anything substantial thematically. I was looking forward to the ending too, thinking the buildup scenes would actually lead to something good or rewarding instead of the dull genericness we got.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

ElCondemn posted:

I don't know that this idea really fits, the rules about the survival horror game were part of the malfunction. Everything was his perspective up until we cut back to him in the first room 0.04 seconds after starting. Even the whack a mole scene didn't happen in reality. We as the viewers know what he experienced from his perspective but the people running the test only record that he called out for his mom.

To me it doesn't make sense that they'd change the narrative focus from the perspective of Cooper to the test runners as a way to further his narrative of the hallucination experience. It makes more sense to me that they're just using the old perspective flip trope. The story begins from one perspective and switches to another perspective as a way to change the way we interpret the original perspective. We thought he was experiencing a malfunction with the second survival horror game, but it turns out the malfunction was way earlier than that due to his cell phone being on.

I think it actually was supposed to be a survival horror game that reads his mind and exploits his fears though, given that the developer was famous for horror games. And though the rules were laid out inside the experience, that's the effect it had on him regardless. Maybe the malfunction just made it kill him.

You're probably right though, I just like to think it could go either way.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/795364476153303040

https://twitter.com/ManuelDantas/status/791366788135194624

Watch out for bee drones everyone.

Skittle Prickle
Oct 28, 2005

The best-tasting pickle I ever heard!
I think in 20 years or so we'll be seeing a lot of "black mirror predicted everything!" articles.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Men Against Fire
I thought it was an interesting concept, but I didn't understand the ending. He decided to wipe his memory again? Or was this his punishment? Why isn't he back killing roaches?

He agreed to have the reality altering thingy reinstalled so as not to have to deal with the stuff he'd done to the "roaches". It wasn't just the anti roach propaganda that was being projected though, it prettified his whole bullshit picket fence apple pie home life from what it really was also.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the more I think about it, especially with how the last 10-15 minutes play out, Men Against Fire is actually the worst episode of the season and probably even the series. I feel like there was a lot more they could have done.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
This probably been discussed before, but I think I have a minority opinion that I think San Junipero would have been vastly better if it had ended right before the credits.

The character who wanted to die should have continued with her plans, and no incredibly happy ending. That's loving life, people are hosed up and selfish, just like her husband had been. And yeah, she took pity on Yorkie when she saw her in person. People just vanish sometimes (literally in this) with unresolved drama. Flings happen, sometimes everything doesn't work out beautifully and you get to spend eternity thinking about the brief happiness you may have had. The character who was deciding to just have fun definitely did it to the other dude already before Yorkie.

The happy ending felt tacked on, and dear lord did the view of the FUTURO-DATA CENTER really distract and show too much. I really hope those little nodes with stupid lights are not a single point of failure!

It felt like Netflix or someone else tacked on the ending. Or maybe Charlie Brooker is just losing his edge in his happy married life.

edit - Clint Mansell definitely has not lost it though. His score during the non-pop music was amazing, especially the riff the starts to play before the last midnight vanish.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 7, 2016

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Zwabu posted:

He agreed to have the reality altering thingy reinstalled so as not to have to deal with the stuff he'd done to the "roaches". It wasn't just the anti roach propaganda that was being projected though, it prettified his whole bullshit picket fence apple pie home life from what it really was also.

Why would they wipe him again and then just drop him off at "home" is what I'm wondering. Is this supposed to be a cut to some time in the future after he's been discharged? Like, he went back to war fighting the roaches and after his time served he's back at "home" now? When I was watching it it just read to me like they put him into some kind of hallucination state and dropped him off in one of the slums they were patrolling.

I think precision is right, they should've just ended the episode a bit earlier. Instead of warning him that they'll just torture him by replaying what he did they should've just done that to him and ended it there. Or if they wanted to make some meta commentary that the whole world is essentially Detroit they could've had a whole denouement scene where they show another kid living in the slums, hearing propaganda and deciding to go through the whole process of signing away his life and mind.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

jeeves posted:

This probably been discussed before, but I think I have a minority opinion that I think San Junipero would have been vastly better if it had ended right before the credits.

The character who wanted to die should have continued with her plans, and no incredibly happy ending. That's loving life, people are hosed up and selfish, just like her husband had been. And yeah, she took pity on Yorkie when she saw her in person. People just vanish sometimes (literally in this) with unresolved drama. Flings happen, sometimes everything doesn't work out beautifully and you get to spend eternity thinking about the brief happiness you may have had. The character who was deciding to just have fun definitely did it to the other dude already before Yorkie.

The happy ending felt tacked on, and dear lord did the view of the FUTURO-DATA CENTER really distract and show too much. I really hope those little nodes with stupid lights are not a single point of failure!

It felt like Netflix or someone else tacked on the ending. Or maybe Charlie Brooker is just losing his edge in his happy married life.

edit - Clint Mansell definitely has not lost it though. His score during the non-pop music was amazing, especially the riff the starts to play before the last midnight vanish.

After the most bleak ending in the history of the planet, I was actually really happy that San Junipero said 'gently caress it, lets give them a nice one'. In the context of the series as a whole it was well earned. It was a really nice breath of fresh air. And even the incredibly happy ending is filled with questions about whether it's really happy at all, but it's kept low key enough that you can totally choose to just enjoy it).

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

jeeves posted:

But "sometimes everything doesn't work out beautifully" implies that sometimes things -do- work out just fine. And we've already had, what, 10 episodes where things work out in the worst possible way? Some of them specifically about relationships working out in the worst possible way? I guess I don't see why a happy ending is inherently inferior to a bleak no-hope ending. I don't see how it's tacked on, either, since the way things play out is in tune with the characters' respective arcs (Yorkie overcomes her shyness but her stunted life experience leaves her blind as to why people would refuse to stay in SJ, Kelly has legitimate reasons for refusing to stay but her terminal illness and her inability to move past the death of her husband make her afraid of commitment). Hell, you could take the whole story as a metaphor for elderly people dating in general! (LGBT elderly people specially!) I mean, in a Black Mirror universe of all places we know that technology is fallible, and there's a hundred reasons why their ending might not be a happily-ever-after-until-the-heat-death-of-the-universe. I for one saw the ending less as "let's be inmmortal digital lesbians forever" and more as "let's stick together for however long San Junipero lasts".

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Skittle Prickle posted:

I think in 20 years or so we'll be seeing a lot of "black mirror predicted everything!" articles.

Hell, compared to the other episodes, the almost universally critically panned and thread least favorite (including me), "The Waldo Moment" is already being written up as prescient.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Bicyclops posted:

Hell, compared to the other episodes, the almost universally critically panned and thread least favorite (including me), "The Waldo Moment" is already being written up as prescient.

An animated character has usurped the world by offering people 20 quid to throw shoes at politicians?

EDIT: I didn't hate the Waldo episode until the very end twist/flash forward. It really does feel like that part the episode relies on every single person on the planet being the most suggestable retarded sheep so that this fad cartoon character manages to become the new augustus. Which isn't really social commentary like the earlier parts of the episode were, that's just what a 13 year old who's just discovered anarchism thinks the world is like.

Rather than say, the ideas behind the Waldo character being used for something evil, it's literally Waldo's face on everything. May as well had a Waldo statue of liberty.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 8, 2016

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
I like that some episodes end happy and others end bleak. They reinforce one another. White seems whiter against black. If they'd end every single episode happy or end every single episode bleak then the effect would not be as great.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

cosmically_cosmic posted:

An animated character has usurped the world by offering people 20 quid to throw shoes at politicians?

Trump totally would've offered 20 bucks to throw shoes at Arabs if any could be found within a dozen miles of a Republican rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
Regarding Shut Up and Dance, I figured when the other guy set off the drone camera thing that it was some kind of sick paedo mortal combat live stream for the 4chan nutjobs to watch. Maybe it was just so they knew who won? It struck me in that moment that the blackmailers had gone to all this trouble just to set up a sick gladiatorial face off for their own amusement? I read too much of the last few pages of circular arguing and now I've lost track of time and space.

Either way, that was my reading at the time because I guess that way they get to have their perverted vigilante justice cake and eat it too (via edgy paedo murder fight video recording/stream). Could just be to provide them evidence though like they did by asking for photos from the victims in the hotel room and on top of the multi-story car park etc.

Also, San Junipero was really good, there's never realistic bi characters in stuff but I identified with that character a lot. Then we find out she's lived with it a long time. Very well acted and written, lots of nice subtleties to the premise. Works on a lot of levels for me :)

Soccus Nephropidae fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 8, 2016