Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Color Gray
Oct 10, 2005
BARF!

Craptacular! posted:

You're missing my point. I saw the same map on Wikipedia. But why do states like Michigan, New York, Massachusetts, Delaware, New Hampshire, and Rhode Island not have no excuse vote by mail? Democrats have held a majority of the power in these states for some time.

I can understand why Kentucky and Alabama have no vote by mail, they want everyone to have to pass through the armed militia's Voter Integrity Checkpoints etc, but Democrats should pushed for states to enable mail in voting with no excuse when they have the power. I mean Michigan is one of those states with enough racial divisions that mail-in ballots seem like they should be a priority.

Oh yeah, I should've clarified that I agree with you. I was genuinely stunned when I first saw that map for those exact reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Craptacular! posted:

Obama's early wins were the result of an incredible ground game of energized volunteers plus the help of labor unions in the early caucus states.

There's also possibly the theory that people in Iowa, even a sample of all Democrats, really fuckin' hate Hillary Clinton since she placed third behind Obama and Edwards in 08 and virtually tied with Sanders in 16.

Where do you think the ground game coalition came from? Every candidate knows what the plan is and what's exactly going to happen because there's a reason why they're selected to run in primaries to begin with. As the voter, you're given an illusion of choice but it doesn't affect the outcome.

Iowa will always be the first caucus state for many years to come. And no, the Iowa Democrats don't hate Hillary Clinton. They've been doing this caucus thing for a long time, and if Hillary won the Iowa caucus, then that would've meant Bernie would win a few later ones so the Democratic party could identify who the progressives were.

The Democratic party literally had to schedule the Nevada caucus to be on a Saturday or risk the apple cart being overturned.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
+1 for Clinton in Kansas, voted for as many Democrats in local races as I could. Not sure what difference it will make, and I was the only person under 60 at the early voting place by my house

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Man, I remember as a lad that John Edwards was considered a serious candidate in 2008.

The GOP desperately needs a hostile takeover or perhaps a complete teardown

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Carlosologist posted:

The GOP desperately needs a hostile takeover or perhaps a complete teardown

They are already working on this.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Arcanen posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if a big reason that Nate's model doesn't give big margins to the predicted winner is to avoid egg on his face when some of his predictions don't come to pass. His livelihood and his brand are tied up in his predictions and the public's perceptions of his accuracy. He'll get credit for a correct win prediction regardless of how strongly that prediction was stated ("I predicted xyz would win (55% chance) and it happened, aren't I awesome?"), but his ability to deflect incorrect predictions is proportional to how much uncertainty there is in his model. In the above case, he can "well abc had a 45% chance under the model". This is much harder to do with a "model predicts 99% chance of xyz victory" if the outcome is wrong.

In terms of his brand, it makes sense that he'd want a model that never claims to be too certain, and it's easy to rationalize away for other reasons that may or may not be valid ("that's to account for if the polls are drastically completely wrong! Nevermind that the entire thing is pretty much based on polls to begin with..."). It's hard to fault him for this in a way, since the public has a terrible understanding of statistics and probability.

The reason I'm skeptical of Nate's claims about why his model is uncertain is because the individual state predictions and their uncertainty are not consistent with his overall election result certainty. If his model is using a "gently caress what if the polls are really wrong?" factor, that should be incorporated into his state level certainty predictions too, and it's hard to see how those state level uncertainties are compatible with his overall election certainty. That said, he's admittedly got some cover here, since a big part of his model secret sauce is supposedly correlation between states, which could definitely induce this kind of fuckery. But it would have to be an absurdly impactful factor in his model for this to happen, which just seems unreasonable.

In contrast, someone like Princeton Professor Sam Wang PhD (who it must be emphasized has significantly, astronomically greater expertise in statistics, probability and modelling than Nate Silver, BA Economics, will ever have) has a lot less riding on the perceptions of his election predictions. He's less well known in the general public, and the election work is unrelated to his larger academic work in neuroscience. Regardless, his models are open-source (and therefore subject to criticism and feedback), whereas Nate's are not.

Anyone know anything about Harry Enten's background? Some googling doesn't really tell me much. He's also being proclaimed as a wunderkind, does he at least have a stat heavy PhD, or is he another BA who's somehow convinced the pundit world of his brilliance?
In terms of his "brand" I think he runs the risk of missing the mark on some of his state predictions this time around, assuming 538's map doesn't change too much going forward. His big claim to fame at least previously was that in 2008 and 2012 he only missed I think Indiana whereas here there seems to be a decent chance the 538 map will whiff on NV, FL, and NC in 2016.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

I don't really like the way that article is written, since it is way to aggressive, but I sorta agree.

The polls are adjusted based on how far the final polls where away from the result. But by that system, polls like Rasmussen which are consistently way below average, but decide to go back to the mean in the last week look way less skewed, than a poll which was consistently +2 from average through the race.

Also it assumes that the previous polls where skewed intentionally. Imagine what this means for next time. The worthless LA times poll has a 5% Trump lead right now. I don't think they do that intentionally and have just hit a really awful sample with bad weighting. Assuming they get a reasonable sample next election, it would be close to the average. But Nate's model would have to raise their result by ~8% to accommodate for the LA times republican bias.

Unless literally all polls are biased in one direction, I think it might be better, if this adjusting wouldn't happen. Statistically, such a bias evens out.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 5, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have a convincing argument for why it would be in Nate's interest to make the prediction look worse for Clinton, rather than better for her?

Cause I was refreshing his page more rapidly when I could watch The Slaughtress of Benghazi climb to 75, 80, 85, 88% compared to now where Old Tinyhands is rising.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hahaha.

https://twitter.com/NivenJ1/status/794811360936923136

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Cingulate posted:

Does anyone have a convincing argument for why it would be in Nate's interest to make the prediction look worse for Clinton, rather than better for her?

Cause I was refreshing his page more rapidly when I could watch The Slaughtress of Benghazi climb to 75, 80, 85, 88% compared to now where Old Tinyhands is rising.

Click bait.

I'm curious what happens to Silver's reputation if come Election Day he's still predicting Trump to take NC and Florida and Trump doesn't win those states.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cingulate posted:

Attention, and on the off chance Trump wins he can say "yeah I was wrong but all those other guys were even more wrong, give me money".

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Lightning Knight posted:

Click bait.

I'm curious what happens to Silver's reputation if come Election Day he's still predicting Trump to take NC and Florida and Trump doesn't win those states.

People tend to prefer a nice surprise to a nasty shock so being too pessimistic probably wouldn't hurt him too much.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cingulate posted:

I'm not saying he does that. but theoretically it would almost double his pageviews. Republicans aren't going to watch one of several sites, which show an uninteresting loss for their team.

Cingulate posted:

on Nate's much better designed site
This is absolutely true. The design is really great, while PEC looks kind of confusing and unorganized.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 5, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a lot of people who'd eat up "30 reasons why Hillary will reign in 1000 years of liberal darkness" right now. I bet you Nate Silver being so pessimistic on Clinton has funneled a lot of people towards Upshot and PEC who'd be perfectly happy to watch the number "99%" on Nate's much better designed site if he had it there instead of "64%".

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

Attention, and on the off chance Trump wins he can say "yeah I was wrong but all those other guys were even more wrong, give me money".
But think: to make that calculus, he needs a realistic estimate of Trump's win chances. If his secret real model told him Trump has a 0.4% chance, he wouldn't have to gently caress up his entire business to prepare for that eventuality.

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'm not saying he does that. but theoretically it would almost double his pageviews. Republicans aren't going to watch one of several sites, which show an uninteresting loss for their team.
Oh I promise you he does not, but ... sorry, what does the bolded part mean? I don't understand it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the early voting thing, Republicans don't want easy voting because it makes it harder for them to win. (See also: Their ridiculous voter suppression efforts and voter ID laws.) Since most states are Republican-controlled, they do what keeps them in power, i.e. Put up as many barriers as possible to stop people who don't vote for them from voting.

Also, ahahahahahahaha:

https://twitter.com/onlxn/status/795000099973672960

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ReV VAdAUL posted:

People tend to prefer a nice surprise to a nasty shock so being too pessimistic probably wouldn't hurt him too much.

Maybe, but his reputation is built on consistency and accuracy, not telling people what they want to hear.

Cingulate posted:

There's a lot of people who'd eat up "30 reasons why Hillary will reign in 1000 years of liberal darkness" right now. I bet you Nate Silver being so pessimistic on Clinton has funneled a lot of people towards Upshot and PEC who'd be perfectly happy to watch the number "99%" on Nate's much better designed site if he had it there instead of "64%".

Liberals don't send as many death threats when you write pro-Republican articles.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Cingulate posted:

But think: to make that calculus, he needs a realistic estimate of Trump's win chances. If his secret real model told him Trump has a 0.4% chance, he wouldn't have to gently caress up his entire business to prepare for that eventuality.
To be fair to Shook Nate, he's said why his figures are so far out: It's partly his secret sauce with the state level effects, but it's also because he is comparing the polling to polling going back to 1972, which includes long periods where polling was not so good. If he uses a model only comparing back to 2000, Trump's chances drop like a rock to "well, maybe everything we know is wrong" territory.

I also imagine Trump, which he's gon' lose, is going to lose in a different and idiosyncratic way compared to a frictionless, spherical, generic republican.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Cingulate posted:

Here, let me tell you the dirty little secret about statistics: the point estimates are trivially easy. The uncertainties are hard.

I'm aware; I'm currently writing my dissertation for my PhD in statistics (well, OR, but there isn't much difference these days).

My claim wasn't so much that Nate is wrong for having so much uncertainty, and that Wong is correct for having so little. I haven't done any political science research myself, though it's something I'm generally interested in. It's certainly hard to make broad generalizations about political voting patterns, especially given the relative lack of real data (as well as certainty over whether or not historical trends continue to be valid).

I'll be a bit more explicit in my modeling critique of Nate by way of analogy to a joint posterior distribution over all states. I don't know if Nate's model is explicitly Bayesian (he did blame poor performance of his polls plus model on "ideological priors", I'm not sure if that was a literal or metaphorical), but whatever, let's assume it is for sake of my argument (which is more easily expressed in a Bayesian framework, but doesn't require it). So anyway, let's say Nate's model is a big ol joint posterior distribution over states, and he determines election outcome probabilities by looking at the empirical distribution of samples, and let's assume he gets overall election result samples by doing a sum across every element i.e. state in each sample, weighted by EVs of those states.

My problem is that the uncertainty expressed by his state models is not consistent with the states being the marginal distributions of each state from the joint posterior. It's certainly possible, but his (hypothetically Bayesian) model would have to have absurdly strong dependence structure between the random variables representing the states if we are to interpret his state uncertainty results as marginals and his overall election prediction as some function of draws from the joint posterior of all states.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Bloops Crusts posted:

Just got off the phone with my local campaign office. Volunteered to knock on doors on Monday and election day.

No chance of affecting the presidential election, but might help tip the balance of power in the Senate.

Thank you for your service.

We had 167 volunteers today knock on 1,900 doors. Northern Virginia is the pickaxe that breaks the South.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Oh I promise you he does not, but ... sorry, what does the bolded part mean? I don't understand it.

Sorry, that was a bit unclear.
Most statistic polling aggregates, like PEC, are showing that Clinton is ridiculously likely since the access Hollywood tape and haven't really changed a lot since then. If 538 would be in the exact same range as those, Republicans wouldn't look at 538 compared to the others. (Or more likely they would look at some echo chamber like the LA times poll.)

In other words, showing a horse race means that republicans are more likely to click his stuff. Especially if he writes articles like "Clinton may look a bit better in the national polls, but state polls are still incredibly tight. Just look at the Nevada tossup."

But as I said, I don't think he's doing it intentionally. His model is just a bit weird and he interprets it the most pessimistic way possible.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/794986090033717248

I hate that voter intimidation is a legitimate concern in tyool 2016

e: the tweet doesn't mention he's the loving election commissioner

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Craptacular! posted:

Obama's early wins were the result of an incredible ground game of energized volunteers plus the help of labor unions in the early caucus states.

There's also possibly the theory that people in Iowa, even a sample of all Democrats, really fuckin' hate Hillary Clinton since she placed third behind Obama and Edwards in 08 and virtually tied with Sanders in 16.

Nah, there was just a pretty strong Sanders push here. Most of Iowa's Democrats are pretty left-leaning socially, so far as I can tell. All of the people who caucused with me for Sanders are voting Clinton now, if a bit disappointed that the party platform hasn't shifted as far as we'd like.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Thank you for your service.

We had 167 volunteers today knock on 1,900 doors. Northern Virginia is the pickaxe that breaks the South.

Thanks.

Any advice? I've never canvassed before.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arcanen posted:

I'm aware; I'm currently writing my dissertation for my PhD in statistics (well, OR, but there isn't much difference these days).

My claim wasn't so much that Nate is wrong for having so much uncertainty, and that Wong is correct for having so little. I haven't done any political science research myself, though it's something I'm generally interested in. It's certainly hard to make broad generalizations about political voting patterns, especially given the relative lack of real data (as well as certainty over whether or not historical trends continue to be valid).

I'll be a bit more explicit in my modeling critique of Nate by way of analogy to a joint posterior distribution over all states. I don't know if Nate's model is explicitly Bayesian (he did blame poor performance of his polls plus model on "ideological priors", I'm not sure if that was a literal or metaphorical), but whatever, let's assume it is for sake of my argument (which is more easily expressed in a Bayesian framework, but doesn't require it). So anyway, let's say Nate's model is a big ol joint posterior distribution over states, and he determines election outcome probabilities by looking at the empirical distribution of samples, and let's assume he gets overall election result samples by doing a sum across every element i.e. state in each sample, weighted by EVs of those states.

My problem is that the uncertainty expressed by his state models is not consistent with the states being the marginal distributions of each state from the joint posterior. It's certainly possible, but his (hypothetically Bayesian) model would have to have absurdly strong dependence structure between the random variables representing the states if we are to interpret his state uncertainty results as marginals and his overall election prediction as some function of draws from the joint posterior of all states.
I don't think his model is explicitly Bayesian, and I doubt the samples are a true posterior. Though I base that on a really stupid line of argument - Gelman's review of his book. I think he's more a "conceptual Bayesian", who uses ordinary frequentist procedures. I think, and this is really just a wild guess, he basically uses some sort of regression to estimate margins and then he just samples from that.

I do agree with your point - it is a very probable possibility that he is indeed strongly overestimating the inter-state dependence this election. If he is indeed wrong (we will see on Nov 9th), that is probably the first thing to look at and fix in his model.

Either way, we're either gonna get a fascinating post-mortem of the PEC model or a fascinating post-mortem of the 538 model. I trust both to be honest about their mistakes.

Personally, my guess would be the truth is in the middle - PEC is probably too optimistic (assuming 0 correlations between state-wise polling errors), Nate is too pessimistic, the other models somewhere in the middle.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arcanen posted:

I'm pretty sure Nate's model does have a very strong dependency structure between the states, in part to overcome the lack of constant polling in all states.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

Sorry, that was a bit unclear.
Most statistic polling aggregates, like PEC, are showing that Clinton is ridiculously likely since the access Hollywood tape and haven't really changed a lot since then. If 538 would be in the exact same range as those, Republicans wouldn't look at 538 compared to the others. (Or more likely they would look at some echo chamber like the LA times poll.)

In other words, showing a horse race means that republicans are more likely to click his stuff. Especially if he writes articles like "Clinton may look a bit better in the national polls, but state polls are still incredibly tight. Just look at the Nevada tossup."

But as I said, I don't think he's doing it intentionally. His model is just a bit weird and he interprets it the most pessimistic way possible.
I don't think many Trump supporters check his site. Consider that white males without college degrees are Trump's base. Nate is not writing for that audience. It's an obviously partisan site, too. They make no pretenses regarding whom they're rooting for.

Trabisnikof posted:

I'm pretty sure Nate's model does have a very strong dependency structure between the states, in part to overcome the lack of constant polling in all states.
He does, there's a post where they show a few of their correlations, but I don't think we have a very good reason to say it is too strong.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Trabisnikof posted:

It does. There's a correlation submatrix floating around somewhere, with basically every value lying above .5.

e:fb

edit2: Though I have no idea whether he models the uncertainty around the correlations.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 5, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm really happy about this 538 dissection. Usually these are full of clueless overconfident people who like to post cuckshook and claim Nate is deliberately skewing the results. This one is much more nuanced and informed.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CottonWolf posted:

It does. There's a correlation submatrix floating around somewhere, with basically every value lying above .5.

e:fb

edit2: Though I have no idea whether he models the uncertainty around the correlations.
https://mobile.twitter.com/538politics/status/783665565554642944

annnnnnd

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-users-guide-to-fivethirtyeights-2016-general-election-forecast/

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
That Ohio/Michigan correlation is insane.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Dexo posted:

THat would explain why Obama and Hillary are campaigning in Michigan on monday, cause Mook said "numbers are tightening there"

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Like I posted in C-SPAM, I would always prefer people have wider error bars than narrower when there's doubt and with something like this there's a lot of doubt. 538's model probably overestimates the uncertainty remaining. PEC I promise you 100% underestimates it- 99% chance of Clinton being elected is a bad joke that completely throws out even the possibility of a systematic error. It's laughable.

If you want a good first cut estimate of the odds that is Very Stupid, try this. Clinton's about 3 points ahead of Trump. Most everyone agrees with that, because estimating the mean of a distribution is easy but estimating the error bars aren't. So 3%. Okay. Look, like 538, at the polling errors in the last 12 elections. 3 times there's been an error more than 3%, or there's 1-in-4 odds of the polling error being larger than Clinton's lead. Cut that in half because an error could just as easily be in Clinton's favor as not, and you get as a Very Stupid First Order Estimate a 1-in-8 chance that Trump's going to win the popular vote. Badabing, badaboom, let's go get drinks.

I suspect that when Nate's blood pressure comes back down to earth post-election, the biggest thing on his plate is going to be putting early voting data into his models in the last few weeks as a way of both cutting the uncertainty and rooting his forecasts in reality. At least, that's what I'd do from the outside; I actually am fully okay with his assumptions about correlation of errors across states, but I fault him for not using data that is real and at hand to put in his black box.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dexo posted:

I guess in previous elections, they've been super similar.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mukaikubo posted:

I suspect that when Nate's blood pressure comes back down to earth post-election, the biggest thing on his plate is going to be putting early voting data into his models in the last few weeks as a way of both cutting the uncertainty and rooting his forecasts in reality. At least, that's what I'd do from the outside; I actually am fully okay with his assumptions about correlation of errors across states, but I fault him for not using data that is real and at hand to put in his black box.
Well to be fair, he is a poll aggregator, not a reality aggregator, and it's not clear how early voting actually behaves cause it's current prevalence is a recent development. Right?

But I do assume he'll enter it into his "polls-plus".

I also assume PEC will not change much if Clinton wins, unless he misses more than 3 states.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arcanen posted:

In contrast, someone like Princeton Professor Sam Wang PhD (who it must be emphasized has significantly, astronomically greater expertise in statistics, probability and modelling than Nate Silver, BA Economics, will ever have) has a lot less riding on the perceptions of his election predictions. He's less well known in the general public, and the election work is unrelated to his larger academic work in neuroscience.

I had no idea Wang was in neuroscience. I love him even more now :3:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

...I guess all that talk of the Devil and Satan has caused Alex to be possessed by the spirit of the Ultimate Warrior.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Lightning Knight posted:

Maybe, but his reputation is built on consistency and accuracy, not telling people what they want to hear.

A lot of the criticism Silver is getting does seem to be because he isn't telling people what they want to hear. He's famous because he's accurately predicted two Democratic presidential wins. Sure he's predicted 2010 and 2014 accurately for the GOP but Dems don't care about off year elections.

As has been pointed out, often ITT people's main complaint about the 538 model is that Nate is shook and that he should be showing Clinton with a higher win chance.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

I only glanced at this, but isn't that first link just correlations between results in the simulations? As in, it takes into account polls, correlation between states, and everything else? The actual modeled correlation between states can't be that high, I don't think, else the model would have Iowa and Ohio very likely to go to Clinton given polling in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan (I suspect, anyway).

Edit: Or since weight for polls vs correlation with other state polls can be set by state probably, could be Ohio and Iowa don't care about other state polls and MI, WI, and MN do more. Would help explain 538's relative pessimism for Clinton across that whole region.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bloops Crusts posted:

Minnesota's probably not going for Trump, but it has been underpolled this election, so I can see Trump's angle here: it's a big question mark, and a very alluring prize provided he can turn it red.

I grew up in Minnesota and lived there for many years. I can tell you it's trending to the right, though probably not at the pace Wisconsin is. But it's probably a waste of time for him. He'd be better off making another stop in Wisconsin. If Minnesota goes for the Republicans, it's almost a sure bet Wisconsin already has.

I'm really curious why you think this. I haven't really looked too far into it myself, but I feel like we're trending left.

• Locked thread