Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Papercut posted:

It's so refreshing to see that Lakers fans are back and still Lakers fans.
Is lakersmug still in use? I made that during one of the last championship runs I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

lebron roasted carrol so hard he cant play basketball anymore and neither can the warriors lmbo

e: i hope the lakers are good again cause i wish good things for rick

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

I hope the Lakers knock the Warriors out of the playoffs (slash playoff contention) for the next 100 years but nothing else ever comes of it, amen.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They can become a perpetual 6-8 seed and recreate the magic of the Nick Van Exel teams that every Laker fan bizarrely insists were actually their favorite

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

MourningView posted:

They can become a perpetual 6-8 seed and recreate the magic of the Nick Van Exel teams that every Laker fan bizarrely insists were actually their favorite

my favorite was the kobe team

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I still have faith in Carroll, but it's uh, lowering. If he can't turn it around by the new year I'm gonna have to have to retire from the fan club.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I think I'm going to buy a few tickets to the last home game for Dallas. I implore other Mavs fans to do the same. It wouldn't shock me if this is Dirk's last season. His injury likely takes him out of the 2 year hunt to pass Wilt in scoring. If he can't pass Wilt in scoring and the team doesn't look like a playoff threat, it'd make sense for Dirk to retire.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
All Star Cedric Ceballos? That's my jam.

edit:

If a player has hair like this

don't sign him. Easy rule to follow.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 5, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

Look how else do you separate yourself from the fake fans and prove you are legit. It's why I know you have a Carlos Arroyo jersey in your closet

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Dried noodles hanging down the side of a styrofoam cup.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Van Exel/Eddie Jones two man game with Ceballos scoring 20 a game without a single play being ran for him was cool.

But for me it's either the 15-1 season or Pau's second year.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Eddie Jones was awesome.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
i think my favorite warriors talking point this season is "even when lebron went to miami it took time to gel"

no body seems to remember that that miami team went on to lose in the finals that year

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

jesus the new NBA site is a piece of poo poo

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

WhyteRyce posted:

Look how else do you separate yourself from the fake fans and prove you are legit. It's why I know you have a Carlos Arroyo jersey in your closet

Haha, I have no idea what you me-

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

It's really funny reading Warriors fans takes about how as soon as Durant learns how to move off the ball and set stronger screens this whole thing is just gonna unlock.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/ClevisMurray/status/794940758897885184

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Don't do it Masai

edit: oh its fake

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

No don't banish my boy CoJo to Philly

Away all Goats posted:

edit: oh its fake

ok good

Mandrel posted:

It's really funny reading Warriors fans takes about how as soon as Durant learns how to move off the ball and set stronger screens this whole thing is just gonna unlock.

hahaha

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think the Warriors will be fine from a regular season perspective because they score so easily that if they can just not play bottom five defense they will win games. And I think last year showed that a team can basically only make three or four mistakes and lose to the Warriors in a playoff series despite outplaying them overall just because overwhelming offense is a powerful thing in the NBA.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Mandrel posted:

Uh link

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Rick posted:

I think the Warriors will be fine from a regular season perspective because they score so easily that if they can just not play bottom five defense they will win games. And I think last year showed that a team can basically only make three or four mistakes and lose to the Warriors in a playoff series despite outplaying them overall just because overwhelming offense is a powerful thing in the NBA.
They're my overwhelming title favorites unless at starter catches a season ending injury. If it's a starter other than Zaza, they might not be in the top half of the bracket.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
What makes you say that Noel for Joseph thing is fake? It is known that Toronto has interest in Noel, that's been reported by several different guys over the last couple of months. It makes sense for Toronto to trade for him mid season too, since with Lowry opting out and certain to get the max and Pattterson and Sullinger both UFAs the only way they are going to be able to add bigman depth is if they're on the team and can be resigned. They won't be signing anyone in FA outside the midlevel.

houstonguy
Jun 2, 2005

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Just a PSA to this thread, James Harden surrounded by actual good offensive players in D'Atoni's system is a beautiful sight. Like Nash back in the day. Be sure to catch a game soon, by this time next month Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson will be injured and Harden will be back to grinding out wins on the free throw line.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Rick posted:

the warriors were a fantastic defensive team last year and years before tho, they werent winning because of just overwhelming offense, at least not in the playoffs. and especially against the cavs their greatest strength has been having two different guys who can credibly guard lebron, without andrew bogut behind them i wonder how credible that defense remains.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
If Fraudulent 2015 Finals MVP Iggy continues to be cooked the Warriors are going to have serious challengers in the playoffs. There's only so many shots to be taken. Having the kind of defensive prowess they had in the past is hard to match - LAC and SAS are going to be extremely legit threats to them in the West alone. I don't see how they've improved their chances against the Cavs either.

edit: Also this will probably look stupid in two or three months because it's the first couple weeks of the season. I don't care :colbert:

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Grant loving owns

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Durant has scored 20+ points in seventy straight games. Not much of a consolation prize if the Warriors continue with trash defense and losing games though.

Gobias Ind. posted:

If the Raptors broadcast is to be believed, Demar DeRozan is the first player to score 30+ in his team's first 5 games since...Michael Jordan :monocle:

Yes, since 1964 these guys have done 30+ in each of the first five.

code:
Player 		Season 	
Oscar Robertson 1965-66	
Rick Barry	1966-67	
Tiny Archibald  1972-73	
Marques Johnson	1978-79	
Adrian Dantley	1980-81	
Michael Jordan	1986-87	
Demar DeRozan	2016-17
These guys did 30+ in each of the first six:

code:
Player 		Season 	
Oscar Robertson 1965-66
Marques Johnson	1978-79	
Michael Jordan	1986-87	
Wilt started the 1959-60 and 1962-63 seasons with streaks of 8 straight 30+ games. It's pretty safe to assume that that's the record.

ROFLburger posted:

jesus the new NBA site is a piece of poo poo

All major sports leagues are making their sites so hideous and hard to use so that people might considering turning their TVs on.

Tae posted:

John Wall is resting on back2back games until further notice.

Didn't the league say there's less b2b this year than ever before? So are teams just maximizing their days or something since there's so few?

Lazy millennials or something...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Marques Johnson seems mostly forgotten. Jordan stole his MJ nickname and 99.9% of people will think of Magic when they see the name "M. Johnson" on a stat sheet.

Props Department posted:

It's really sad that his wife was killed in OKC because they fired him for no good reason. But I guess there's no second guessing these things

Basically yes. Although if we want to be cosmically thorough we have to acknowledge the theoretical possibility of something worse happening if he'd stayed. e.g. Everyday whole vanloads of people are killed by drunk drivers etc.

A lot of people think they know the exact future. Nobody does.

EvanTH posted:

Zogoputer can you bring up the stats on roster continuity from one season to the next and how it seems to affect the performance of the best teams? thank you

I've posted a lot of different RC stats so I'm not sure which ones you mean exactly. Generally, as RC% goes down the WP% goes down as well.

Here's a list of champions and their RC%:

code:
Season	Team	Roster Continuity
2015-16 CLE	84%
2014-15	GSW	80%
2013-14	SAS	83%
2012-13	MIA	82%
2011-12	MIA	79%
2010-11	DAL	79%
2009-10	LAL	87%
2008-09	LAL	95%
2007-08	BOS	50%
2006-07	SAS	84%
2005-06	MIA	49%
2004-05	SAS	76%
2003-04	DET	78%
2002-03	SAS	81%
2001-02	LAL	79%
2000-01	LAL	72%
1999-00	LAL	69%
1998-99	SAS	71%
1997-98	CHI	92%
1996-97	CHI	97%
1995-96	CHI	81%
1994-95	HOU	78%
1993-94	HOU	84%
1992-93	CHI	86%
1991-92	CHI	96%
1990-91	CHI	89%
1989-90	DET	95%
1988-89	DET	92%
1987-88	LAL	96%
1986-87	LAL	86%
1985-86	BOS	80%
1984-85	LAL	98%
1983-84	BOS	85%
1982-83	PHI	66%
1981-82	LAL	83%
1980-81	BOS	79%
1979-80	LAL	61%
1978-79	SEA	79%
1977-78	WSB	75%
1976-77	POR	47%
1975-76	BOS	79%
1974-75	GSW	63%
1973-74	BOS	98%
1972-73	NYK	94%
1971-72	LAL	85%
1970-71	MIL	62%
1969-70	NYK	92%
1968-69	BOS	88%
1967-68	BOS	89%
1966-67	PHI	87%
1965-66	BOS	88%
1964-65	BOS	91%
1963-64	BOS	90%
1962-63	BOS	84%
1961-62	BOS	94%
1960-61	BOS	94%
1959-60	BOS	93%
1958-59	BOS	89%
1957-58	STL	89%
1956-57	BOS	61%
1955-56	PHW	75%
1954-55	SYR	68%
1953-54	MNL	87%
1952-53	MNL	84%

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Mandrel posted:

He should though :sigh:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sheriff posted:

Just a PSA to this thread, James Harden surrounded by actual good offensive players in D'Atoni's system is a beautiful sight. Like Nash back in the day. Be sure to catch a game soon, by this time next month Eric Gordon and Ryan Anderson will be injured and Harden will be back to grinding out wins on the free throw line.

They really are super loving fun.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I want credit for thinking DeMarre Carroll sucked way before anyone else

Maybe the spurs role player curse migrated to Atlanta

Jack's Flow posted:

All Star Cedric Ceballos? That's my jam.

edit:

If a player has hair like this

don't sign him. Easy rule to follow.

Long hair is really for football players and hockey players. Keep it short. John Wooden was right about everything. Basketball is all about having your socks on right and a fresh haircut

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 6, 2016

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Kibner posted:

Haha, I have no idea what you me-

this is legit beautiful

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

tanglewood1420 posted:

What makes you say that Noel for Joseph thing is fake? It is known that Toronto has interest in Noel, that's been reported by several different guys over the last couple of months. It makes sense for Toronto to trade for him mid season too, since with Lowry opting out and certain to get the max and Pattterson and Sullinger both UFAs the only way they are going to be able to add bigman depth is if they're on the team and can be resigned. They won't be signing anyone in FA outside the midlevel.

The source is Celtics reporters.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

He should though :sigh:

He SHOULD, but...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So I mentioned that the NBA as a whole are doing conference rematches really soon, and I don't really get it? Does it save money or something if the Wizards and Hawks play each other twice in a week if they go to each other's home? I understand if you're doing a semi-baseball thing where you play your 2 games against the Bucks at home in 3 days, but this is just weird.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Dejan Bimble posted:

Maybe the spurs role player curse migrated to Atlanta

Long hair is really for football players and hockey players. Keep it short. John Wooden was right about everything. Basketball is all about having your socks on right and a fresh haircut

Some of those bad Rockets years the sight of Scola's greasy hair and Jordan Hill's dreadlocks bouncing up and down were the only things keeping me going

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
e: wrong thread

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
I'm 40 pages behind in this thread but I just wanted to post to say that Joel Embiid is my favorite meme of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hand Row posted:

MCW looked like the same terrible shooter high turnover machine. Why do you think he looked good?

He's not good but I think Bulls fans were happy that he isn't Jerian Grant who has no business in the league. But those are the perks of being related to the assistant GM.

• Locked thread