Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think the humor and some of the weird repeating information says this is the first time in a while they've remembered kids watch these movies. I didn't like the cloak or a lot of the jokes, but I can get why they did it.

I disliked a bunch of the character stuff, but the visuals were incredible, and the fight scenes were awesome for involving wizards doing wizard stuff that wasn't just throwing energy bolts or throwing people with telekinesis.

Actually getting to see Dormammu and the Dark Dimension in full trippy glory was great, especially the nod to Dormammu's vertical hatching on his old design. I also geeked out a bit on the badguys getting turned into Mindless Ones as they got sucked away.

My wife thought the movie was pretty bad but has no real frame of reference for Doctor Strange aside from Dr, Orpheus. I'd say go watch it just to see the visuals, and appreciate Benedict Wong getting more work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I thought it was pretty good, although I kind of wish they hadn't put Mikkelsen in the baggy eyes of being obviously evil. It feels like it would have suited his gimmick better to be sort of obnoxiously perfect like a Greek statue until his facade started to crack off. As it was it has hard to take his appeal to Strange seriously when he was color-coded as the villain. Well, that and all the murders; those really hurt his case, too.

Other than that, and the fact that Mordo dropped down into petty dickery too quickly to really make sense, really good, though.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

X-O posted:

Didn't Dan Harmon work on this movie in some fashion? I don't like a lot of his stuff but some of it hits and that scene in particular seems like something he would have come up with.

I think he was involved in re-writes/re shoots late in development. Maybe he helped direct or write the teaser end credits scene or something?

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I get the complaints about the new Marvel Studios opening, but it was still some pretty drat cool visual flash seeing it in 3D.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

ub posted:

I get the complaints about the new Marvel Studios opening, but it was still some pretty drat cool visual flash seeing it in 3D.

Was the 3D worth it?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

gently caress yeah! Possibly some of the best 3D since Avatar. Guardians of the Galaxy had some great 3D, but the effects in Doctor Strange lend itself to the gimmick so well. My only regret was that I wasn't high as a kite.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I saw it in Imax 3D and it was incredible.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I realized why the gloves looked off, because they don't have that spotted pattern on them

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Open Marriage Night posted:

gently caress yeah! Possibly some of the best 3D since Avatar. Guardians of the Galaxy had some great 3D, but the effects in Doctor Strange lend itself to the gimmick so well. My only regret was that I wasn't high as a kite.

The IMAX 3D was incredible, I'd highly recommend it to anyone on the fence

I had an edible or two before the movie started, so when it got to the part where the Ancient One sent Steven Strange on an acid trip through all of the those different dimensions I was like :captainpop:

It was trippy as hell at points, like when hands were growing out of his fingers and the whole backwards Hong Kong sequence

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004

notthegoatseguy posted:

I think he was involved in re-writes/re shoots late in development. Maybe he helped direct or write the teaser end credits scene or something?

I looked at this. Apparently there's a screenshot from Dan Harmon's mac floating around

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Something I liked with Dr Strange was how he refused to kill any of the bad guys and then figured out a way to stop them without killing. They probably WISH they were dead.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I mentioned it before, but keep an eye out for Nico Minoru's staff in Hong Kong.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

I mentioned it before, but keep an eye out for Nico Minoru's staff in Hong Kong.

It's one of the others in Wong's battle party, right?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Wong also uses the Wand of Watoomb.

And the person that grabs the Staff of One is Niko's mom.

Daniel Drumm is also in the movie.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 6, 2016

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Codependent Poster posted:

Wong also uses the Wand of Watoomb.

And the person that grabs the Staff of One is Niko's mom.

Daniel Drumm is also in the movie.

Wait really? Is he the other black guy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dr. Strange was fun enough but felt sort of almost paint-by-numbers-Marvel. The creativity in the fight scenes was the biggest defining feature but Strange basically felt like Tony Stark's non-union British countepart and while Beneditch Cumberbatch did a good job with the role he was shown the gently caress up every time he had to act against Chiwetel Ejiofor or Mads Mikkelsen. The fight scenes were creative but felt a bit 'things are happened because we said so' instead of having a coherent flow. (That said they were still among the best fight scenes in the entire Marvel universe so...)

I enjoyed it, I had fun with it, but at the same time it was sort of utterly forgettable and by god did it have the most anemic and forced romance plot and THAT is saying something for a Marvel film.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I like how every fight scene was completely different from the rest. From kaleidoscope New York to mansion kung fu chase to time reverse street brawl. I'm psyched to see it again.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yeah, in New York.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

Yes.

And well, he dies, which isn't a surprise regarding his character. So hopefully next film we'll get Jericho Drumm to help Dr. Strange, and Daniel will be back around as a ghost.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Kevin Feige just laid out the vision for the MCU going forward. The big takeaways:

- Infinity War will be the last "big" movie for years.
- Doctor Strange, Thor 3, and Ant-Man are the models going forward. "Intimate" character stories and unexpected team ups. No more world ending or doomsday scenarios.
- Each phase of the MCU is going to introduce new characters. "Something" will be done with Blade, but not until at least 2019.
- Phase 4 slate and character announcements next year.
- Diversity is a focus going forward. All the new characters and love interests in the next two years will be non-white or female.
- Zendaya confirmed as Mary Jane.
- No word yet on how involved Marvel will be with Spider-Man after Homecoming. Marvel is looking to stay involved though and discussions are going to be happening after the release.
- Might not see a solo movie for the original avengers for several years.
- Inhumans is still happening. Rumors that it is permanently canned are not true. It "will happen for sure." But won't commit to a release date.
- There are 3 unannounced MCU movies earmarked for 2020. (May 1, July 10, and November 6). They'll be announced sometime in 2017.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The next 2 years if you ignore Antman and Wasp I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Diversity is a focus going forward. All the new characters and love interests in the next two years will be non-white or female."

i.e: "All the supporting characters. I hope you're happy with Luke Cage and not expecting any other leads to not be white."

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Aphrodite posted:

The next 2 years if you ignore Antman and Wasp I guess.

All new characters

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Luke Cage can't fly he's not a real MCU Black Man.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

mikeraskol posted:

All new characters

And love interests.

Wasp's is just going to be Scott.

Edit: I guess he meant new characters and new love interests.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 6, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

... Also I have to say "Dr. Strange is the model going forward" and "no more world ending/doomsday scenarios" doesn't really make sense considering Dr. Strange involves all of Earth almost being devoured by a beast from another dimension.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

ImpAtom posted:

... Also I have to say "Dr. Strange is the model going forward" and "no more world ending/doomsday scenarios" doesn't really make sense considering Dr. Strange involves all of Earth almost being devoured by a beast from another dimension.

Those should have been separate bullet points. He was using Doctor Strange as an example of "intimate" character stories. Going forward they are focusing on "intimate character stories and unexpected team ups."

They said no more "world ending scenarios" after Infinity War.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I find that weird, because I don't think there's a glut of them right now. At least, not any more than you'd expect out of a super hero franchises. None of the Caps or Iron Mans were.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

twistedmentat posted:

I realized why the gloves looked off, because they don't have that spotted pattern on them

I just realized The gloves are what fix his hands .

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's also kind of a weird thing to say in the wake of a lot of reviews talking about how Dr. Strange shows a desperate need for change.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ImpAtom posted:

"Diversity is a focus going forward. All the new characters and love interests in the next two years will be non-white or female."

i.e: "All the supporting characters. I hope you're happy with Luke Cage and not expecting any other leads to not be white."

"In the next two years"

Zendaya as MJ, Thor's new romantic interest, they'll chalk up Black Panther as a new character and then there's Captain Marvel, just in time for the two years to run out and more white dudes flood in for Infinity War. Phase 4 introduces Wonder Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

"In the next two years"

Zendaya as MJ, Thor's new romantic interest, they'll chalk up Black Panther as a new character and then there's Captain Marvel, just in time for the two years to run out and more white dudes flood in for Infinity War. Phase 4 introduces Wonder Man.

Who are even the prominent white dude heroes left who aren't mutants or controlled by other studios?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lobok posted:

Who are even the prominent white dude heroes left who aren't mutants or controlled by other studios?

Howard the Duck?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moon Knight?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Captain Marvel is actually 3 years away so it's free to white out.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does he count as several white guy characters?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ciaran Hinds has (reportedly) been cast as Steppenwolf in the Justice League movie.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

If Feige is saying it and not Loeb, is that safe to say they're looking for a Blade feature film rather than a Blade Netflix or something else? I think the level of violence a Blade movie would have would be better suited for Netflix, even if it is a feature film rather than a TV series.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

notthegoatseguy posted:

If Feige is saying it and not Loeb, is that safe to say they're looking for a Blade feature film rather than a Blade Netflix or something else? I think the level of violence a Blade movie would have would be better suited for Netflix, even if it is a feature film rather than a TV series.

This is total speculation, but the fact that he made sure to say "something" will happen with Blade seems like it probably won't be a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If they want to focus on team ups and such I think it'd be more likely to have Blade in Dr.Strange 2 or something along those lines.

• Locked thread