Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

evobatman posted:

Finally all is good in the world.

E: Well it will be when I get an RGB Scart cable, since I don't want to butcher my GC cable.

The PAL/SFC console looks so much better than the purple wonder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

evobatman posted:

Finally all is good in the world.

E: Well it will be when I get an RGB Scart cable, since I don't want to butcher my GC cable.

I should get a PAL SNES at some point, pretty cool design.

TeaJay posted:

The PAL/SFC console looks so much better than the purple wonder.

Its true.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The colors on the controller are nice, but I like my concave Y button

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Can I still participate in the retro social media celebration even though I no longer have a friendster account?

Also I hope they cover games that aren't on the classic (they won't), because I could use some hot tips on how to keep from losing the boomerang while crossing the bridge in goonies 2.

DalaranJ fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 5, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Do people still smoke a lot in Japanese arcades? I was there in 2007 and the only ESP Galuda II machine I found was right next to a guy playing Mushihimesama with two full astrays and an apparent five-pack-a-day habit.

yes, I smoked right at the game at every arcade i went to except for ebisen where you have to use an ashtray outside and a cho where you go to a little cordoned off area and sit on a couch to smoke between games.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Jesus Neo Geo is a hell of a system to want to jump into when you're on a budget. I'm just glad that I got SNK Arcade Classics on PS2 and went small with the NGPC, love me some Gal's Fighters. So who's going to be first in line for the NES Mini? Probably not me since I keep wavering on bothering with it. I already have a good chunk of the games on it, and the rest I have no particular feelings about one way or the other. Realistically it'd probably wind up being shelf candy because it's cute and miniature.

Also,

Ofecks posted:

Did it actually die? I've been following it for a long time, and he's taken literally years-long hiatuses before.

Old rear end thing to drag up but the Sakura Wars LP by Spirit Armor? He hasn't posted since 2014 and the same goes for the thread which has since passed into archives. I'd consider that pretty drat dead.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

FrumpleOrz posted:

Are there any good Game Boy or Game Boy Color games that are a little lengthier and meatier than the usual GB game? I've played Link's Awakening but what else is there?

Metal Gear Solid is packed with content - there's the main game and a second loop/NG+ that's significantly different, plus 2D renditions of pretty much all the VR missions from the PSX game and some other stuff like multiplayer. It's a fully original game, not just a tie-in to the PSX game, and it's the best of all the 2D Metal Gear games.

Stranded Kids is the first in Konami's Lost in Blue series of lost-on-a-desert-island-sims and it's pretty hefty by GBC standards. I think there's a translation patch for the second GBC game, too.

Legend of the River King is a fun fishing RPG from the Harvest Moon devs, get the second one if you're interested. (The GBC HM games aren't particularly good, by the by.)

If you're into Wizardry then there are quite a few Wizardry games for GB & GBC: remakes of the first three NES games, three original gaiden games, two more original games that tie into some PSX titles, maybe a couple more. They're all JP-only but most of them let you pick English from the settings menu and the others have been fan-translated.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Nov 5, 2016

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So my copies of Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG arrived from the Land of the Rising Sun tonight. I swapped the boards for my SNES copies and now I have no reason to ever break out my SNES again.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

al-azad posted:

What emulator are you running? The last one I used wouldn't load the save files after a while. I could transfer it to my computer and recognize it just fine but even when the path was correct the emulator refused to see it.

SNES9xVITA. I haven't had occasion to hard reboot my Vita since installing the emus so I can't be any help there.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I tried RetroArch on my Vita. Why is that thing so drat confusing to use? :psyduck:

Speaking of emulation, someone in C-SPAM said the sound when you throw an item in Super Mario Bros 2 sounds different on the NES Classic Mini compared to a real NES. Did Nintendo drop the ball on emulation, or did they pipe in the Famicom Disk System sounds maybe?

Elliotw2 posted:

That's a regular CRT, you can tell because it's not 16:9.

Not to be snooty and correct you, but this is not necessarily the case. I had not one but THREE high-definition CRTs that were 4:3. One was a Sony Wega, one was a Panasonic Tau, the other was a Hitachi (and I remember the Hitachi one was the only 4:3 HDTV CRT I ever saw that did not have the "flat glass").

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CT-36HX41-36-HDTV-Ready-TV/dp/B00005RWAD

Sony even made a 40" one. 300+ lbs.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Nov 5, 2016

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If you're into Wizardry then there are quite a few Wizardry games for GB & GBC: remakes of the first three NES games, three original gaiden games, two more original games that tie into some PSX titles, maybe a couple more. They're all JP-only but most of them let you pick English from the settings menu and the others have been fan-translated.

The fact that you referred to them as remakes of NES games makes my eye twitch.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Random Stranger posted:

The fact that you referred to them as remakes of NES games makes my eye twitch.

Yeah, remakes of the NES ports is more accurate. Most if not all of the JP Wizardry 1/2/3 remakes use the FC version as their base; only the PCE versions are based on the original games, as far as I know.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 5, 2016

al-azad
May 28, 2009

h_double posted:

SNES9xVITA. I haven't had occasion to hard reboot my Vita since installing the emus so I can't be any help there.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I tried RetroArch on my Vita. Why is that thing so drat confusing to use? :psyduck:

I was using RetroArch and at some point it flat out stopped reading saves even when I pointed them to the correct folder. Looks like I'm getting Snes9xVita.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retroarch is poo poo on all platforms and in general

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Retroarch is poo poo on all platforms and in general

I used it briefly on my Pi before I had an SD card reader to make a Retropie card and I would recommend no-one use it ever.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

njsykora posted:

I used it briefly on my Pi before I had an SD card reader to make a Retropie card and I would recommend no-one use it ever.

RetroPie uses Retroarch though?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Retroarch has The OSS problem, in that the program itself is very good at what it sets out to do, but the UI is completely unusable garbage.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I used RetroArch. I moved the directory for save files and then moved it back to default and it never read those files again no matter what I did.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Drone posted:

RetroPie uses Retroarch though?

Oh yeah right, I'm thinking of RecalBox. Carry on.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
RetroArch should never have picked up that Sony XMB style of UI. That stuff only really works ok for short lists and minimal use.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The version before they changed to the last/current mess on android was perfectly fine on my Shield portable. Load game, autodetect core, autodetect the Shield controls, and just play, with any and all consoles.

Today I count myself loving lucky if I even get a game to start while stretched to widescreen and with screen overlay controls.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

I installed RetroArch on my Pie a while ago, tried to configure it and gave up. Hmm.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Retroarch is especially bad on devices that don't have any other emulators ported, like the vita. At least on android and windows and such you have other options.

It's like as soon as a device gets unlocked, some idiot shoddily ports retroarch to it and then everyone gives up.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

njsykora posted:

Unfortunately sometimes RetroArch is the only option. I don't think there's such a thing as a Virtual Boy emulator on Android unless you use RetroArch.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Speaking of emulation, someone in C-SPAM said the sound when you throw an item in Super Mario Bros 2 sounds different on the NES Classic Mini compared to a real NES. Did Nintendo drop the ball on emulation, or did they pipe in the Famicom Disk System sounds maybe?

That's interesting, Jeff Gerstmann said the same thing on the Giant Bomb quick look. It was bugging him quite a bit.

edit: at about 1:30:30 in here http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-nes-classic-edition/2300-11680/ is where he talks about it. Listening to it again I think he's right.

hannibal fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 5, 2016

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 238 days!)

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but if anyone is looking to buy an :intv: , I have several in very good condition that I have been hoarding (and playing, and rebuilding) for decades. Time to pick up the reigns and move on, so if there is any interest, hit me up and I'll put together some bundles. I don't even remember how many 2609A units I have. I know I have an Inty III, a Sears version, and pretty sure at least a handful of Inty IIs.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

poo poo emulation. Super Mario Bros 2 was released in Japan as Super Mario Bros USA and only on cartridge. (Fun fact: it's one of a handful of games that improperly were programmed for controllers so you cannot use any controller via the expansion port with it. Even though Doki Doki Panic works with expansion port.) It never really took advantage of the extra sound hardware of the FDS even as Doki Doki Panic.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flyboi posted:

poo poo emulation.

Haha really? I mean I wasn't expecting much for $60 but I thought Nintendo was pretty particular about stuff like that.

hannibal posted:

That's interesting, Jeff Gerstmann said the same thing on the Giant Bomb quick look. It was bugging him quite a bit.

edit: at about 1:30:30 in here http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-nes-classic-edition/2300-11680/ is where he talks about it. Listening to it again I think he's right.

Thanks for the link. I listened and to be honest, it does not sound any different to me. I think I am pretty anal with that stuff so maybe it's not so bad.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Also it wouldn't make sense to use FDS sounds from Doki Doki Panic because it has different, worse music than SMB2.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

As long as I still get a sick baseline when I pause the game I'll be fine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Spoderman posted:

Also it wouldn't make sense to use FDS sounds from Doki Doki Panic because it has different, worse music than SMB2.

You raise an interesting point I never thought of; Doki Doki Panic is the only game I can think of where the FDS audio is only used for sound effects, and they did not use it at all for music. Weird.

Wart's music would have really benefited from FDS music.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I got some good deals today. Sega Marine Fishing for Dreamcast, Woody Woodpecker Crazy Castle 5, Game and Watch Gallery 4 (which completes the set for me), Attack of the Clones/Tetris World two pack for Xbox (guess which game I grabbed that for), and the real steal: Gauntlet Dark Legacy for GameCube for just a buck.

Now I just need a bunch of people to come over and play it with me...

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
9 year old me says that the Attack of the Clones was actually the better half of that pack in disk, because Tetris Worlds has strange rules and really weird backdrops.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

9 year old me says that the Attack of the Clones was actually the better half of that pack in disk, because Tetris Worlds has strange rules and really weird backdrops.

I'm not super fond of Tetris Worlds myself, but I was standing there looking at a one dollar game, trying to remember if I already had it, and decided, "Why not just spend a buck for Tetris?"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I was staring down a copy of Tetris Worlds for PS2 a few days ago for not much and decided against it. That is not a great Tetris game.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Not to be snooty and correct you, but this is not necessarily the case. I had not one but THREE high-definition CRTs that were 4:3. One was a Sony Wega, one was a Panasonic Tau, the other was a Hitachi (and I remember the Hitachi one was the only 4:3 HDTV CRT I ever saw that did not have the "flat glass").

https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-CT-36HX41-36-HDTV-Ready-TV/dp/B00005RWAD

Sony even made a 40" one. 300+ lbs.

Only 300+lbs. you say?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

"Make sure that the floor is strong enough."

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Could God make a Trinitron so heavy that even he couldn't move it?

(That warning about earthquakes fails to mention that the earthquake would probably be due to the Trinitron falling off of something.)

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Djarum posted:

So my copies of Yoshi's Island and Mario RPG arrived from the Land of the Rising Sun tonight. I swapped the boards for my SNES copies and now I have no reason to ever break out my SNES again.

Is this easy to do? I have a 1CHIP SFC and want an EverDrive, but I replay Super Mario RPG once every year or two, and Yoshi's Island is also pretty essential.
Assuming you just take the boards out of the SNES carts and tuck them inside Japanese ones? I need to open my SNES ones up to replace the batteries soon anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Pegnose Pete posted:

Is this easy to do? I have a 1CHIP SFC and want an EverDrive, but I replay Super Mario RPG once every year or two, and Yoshi's Island is also pretty essential.
Assuming you just take the boards out of the SNES carts and tuck them inside Japanese ones? I need to open my SNES ones up to replace the batteries soon anyway.

Oh yeah. The PCBs are almost exactly the same. Just have a game bit screwdriver, open up the shell and swap the boards.

I say almost exactly because it seems that the Japanese version of Yoshi's Island uses a different version of the Super FX chip. I need to research it more now that I noticed it.

• Locked thread