Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

nelson posted:

I wouldn't call living several lifetimes a quick death. She said she saw that moment many many times before, so it was her time to go regardless. How she got in that state didn't really matter too much.

Plus, any hero's journey has the wizard master dying. Expect to see her Force Ghost in the sequel.

Edit: Fan theory: the live action Disney remake universe takes place in the MCU and Strange's robe is the Magic Carpet from the upcoming Aladdin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Saw this movie last night and had a great time. My favorite moments:

"Shambala" is the Wi-Fi password.

"Dormammu, I've come to bargain!"

I encourage everyone to go see this film and hope you enjoy it as much as I did. -AN

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cross-Section posted:

Yeah, it was definitely a few notes away from being Enterprising Young Men at points, which is weird because Giacchino is typically pretty good at making his scores audibly distinct from each other.

I got kind of a Dr. Who vibe from the opening sting of the closing credits.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The movie has mixed signals. The very last line of the credits is a PSA saying not to text and drive because it's dangerous. But Dr. Strange did it and got sweet sorcerer powers.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

One thing I didn't like about this was the lack of incantations. Come on, Marvel, that's like an essential part of his character.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sir Kodiak posted:

It's the third movie, after Avatar and Gravity, that I think does enough to make 3D worth it.

I was going to ask if the movie is worth seeing in 3D, because I suspected it might be one of the few movies that truly benefits from it. Although I'm likely going to go see it with my father, and he's not a huge fan of 3D movies at all. Is it worth trying to sell him on seeing it in 3D?

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Detective No. 27 posted:

The movie has mixed signals. The very last line of the credits is a PSA saying not to text and drive because it's dangerous. But Dr. Strange did it and got sweet sorcerer powers.

He paid the price - he got his sweet sorcerer powers after countless surgeries (using money he didn't have) and hitting his absolute rock bottom. And his hands are still not healed completely. And now, since he messed with the laws of nature, he's gonna have bigger problems ahead of him

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 5, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Ither posted:

One thing I didn't like about this was the lack of incantations. Come on, Marvel, that's like an essential part of his character.
I said earlier in this thread that movie wants to distance itself from Harry Potter; there's a Harry Potter prequel movie coming out this month. This is why they went Inception/Matrix. It also differentiates Strange from the Avengers. If he shoots beams of magical energy from his hands, he looks like Iron Man; if he conjures shields, he looks like Captain America; if he throws lightning, he looks like Thor. The genius here is that sorcerers transform the battlefield itself.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Xenomrph posted:

I was going to ask if the movie is worth seeing in 3D, because I suspected it might be one of the few movies that truly benefits from it. Although I'm likely going to go see it with my father, and he's not a huge fan of 3D movies at all. Is it worth trying to sell him on seeing it in 3D?

It's not necessary to see in 3D and isn't the best 3D movie I've seen (Gravity) but if you have the option I would highly recommend it. Easily the best 3D for a superhero movie. (and the best I've seen in a while)

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It's very good in 3D, and I normally hate it. It's worth at least checking if he's open to the idea.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

tin can made man posted:

Yeah, this is one of my criticisms of the movie; it's just so packed full of wild zingers (about a good quarter of which are the cloak just being Carpet from Aladdin) that hardly any moments get to land.

This is the one criticism I had with the film: it just needed to lay off the jokes and zingers at times because it did kill some of the dramatic tension at times. Its still nowhere near as bad as Avengers simply because Joss Whedon didn't write the script.

Overall, it was good, I wanted another Infinity Stone reveal which we got with the Time Stone and its wicked replay powers and Cumberbatch really nailed the arrogant Doctor Strange simply because I wanted to punch him at times.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jedit posted:

In the comic continuity Earth is special, mostly because of its location. It's the most strategically positioned habitable world between the Kree and Skrull Empires, the anchor point for the eight Asgardian realms and a bunch of other things that haven't yet arisen in the movies.

Didn't Thor say in Thor 1 or 2 about how Earth acts as a portal to other realms? Or am I mixing up the movies with one of the Marvel cartoons or some such?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He really was... a strange doctor.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
There's legitimately a villain named Satannish in the Strange lore. Doubt we'll see him in the movies though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I won't be satisfied until Marvel has a movie dedicated to Hellstorm Son of Satan. :(

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

Saw the movie with my wife. We both loved it, which is awesome. She's not a big fan of the Marvel movies

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

He paid the price - he got his sweet sorcerer powers after countless surgeries (using money he didn't have) and hitting his absolute rock bottom. And his hands are still not healed completely. And now, since he messed with the laws of nature, he's gonna have bigger problems ahead of him

Thanos was set up long before Doctor Strange happened, and he'll end up besting Mordo in DS2. I maintain everything comes up Strange.

posted from my phone while driving recklessly on a cliffside freeway.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Did your audiences react as strongly to the Infinity Stone reveal? Mine did.

I forgot a scene I loved:

Strange realizing way too late that going to the Mirror Dimension was a bad idea, and his friend looks at him with this "I could've told you that oh wait I loving did" face.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'd appreciated the movie a lot more if I hadn't seen Iron Man I first. Still, it was a good movie to see, and good to see in 3D with all the trippy Inception visuals. The ending was the best final "battle", and Strange being distraught over killing someone was a good touch to show he is different from all the other heroes.

What's the list of the next Marvel movies and which character is in which movie? I hadn't heard anything to say that Strange was going to be in Thor III, but clearly he is.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Comstar posted:

Strange being distraught over killing someone was a good touch to show he is different from all the other heroes.

Well, he is a Doctor, you'd think he'd realize what kind of life the dude would have after that degree of having your head thrown against the wall and the floor repeatedly.

I mean, I know it's a superhero movie, but that went from Funny Background Event to Holy poo poo That Dude Is Gonna Have Issues in seconds.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I will say that they really got Dr. Strange's philosophy very perfect. He's not full on Mads, but he's also not Mordo. He really does at the end of the movie share a philosophy of The Ancient One. I think this was great film for clearly defining what Dr. Strange's morals were. He was genuinely distraught about killing a person. He also as a surgeon ( even though it was in a way spurred by his ego) tries to create a good for the many philosophy. I think a key point was when he was discussing with Rachel that his methods would save thousands was a interesting conversation because you do see he is a arrogant ,but good man. Also, he's motivated to fix his hands because he can't imagine a life without benefitting others. So when people say Dr. Strange is just the Iron Man story. It's really not at all. He's completely different than Stark. He strongly values human life and at the end of the film he sees that as the Ancient One says "It's not about you". His bargain with Dormammu is at his own torture and expense. He gives up his ego in order to save humanity which makes sense. You basically have 3 philosophies in the film. Mad's who's philosophy is incredibly misguided , but makes sense when you realize he has lost his entire family that he would want to end death. It's very similar to Strange's philosophy, but not quite. Then you have Mordo's rigid morality. Then you have something in between with The Ancient One.

There's a lot more depth to the story I think than people give it credit for. There's some really great philosophizing in the film.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I must be weird because I enjoy the humor in these movies. I think they'd be kind of insufferable without it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Echoing all the love people have for it. Definitely one of the weaker Stan Lee cameos, but the Avengers 2 one is a hard one to top.

Also, no love for Kaecillius "...You don't know how to use that, do you?"?

I'll say this for Mads: His villain motivation is certainly one of the more interesting ones, and I do wish they'd explored more of why he follows the path he does.

And Thor 3 is starting to look like Avengers 2.75 at this rate.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

This is definitely top 3 Marvel movies for me, probably the best use of 3D I've seen, and one of the best final fights in an action film both the Hong Kong set and ending.

I think it perfectly encompasses everything Marvel/Disney is doing right about these films. They're easy to follow, dramatic when they need to be, completely irreverent at the best moments, have great casting, and don't bog themselves down with unnecessary lore. It is easily the most "dumb comic book" of their movies I think.

My only complaint, and this is Marvel films in general, the villain is largely lame. I understand Kaecilius is a minion in the comics canon but just in general the villains aren't interesting. I would certainly argue that the biggest antagonists end up being the protagonists to themselves.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kaecilius could conceivably come back, right?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Kaecilius could conceivably come back, right?

I guess the loophole is Dormammu can't come back to Earth so maybe merged-Kaecilius could?

But I don't think they'll bring Mads back to reprise Minion-in-the-Middle.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with the 3D? I can get a 3D ticket for around $3.50 more at a theater near me and I'm wondering if its worth it or if its like the usual case where the 3D makes everything look really dark and unclear.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Arbitrary Coin posted:

I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow. Does anyone have experience with the 3D? I can get a 3D ticket for around $3.50 more at a theater near me and I'm wondering if its worth it or if its like the usual case where the 3D makes everything look really dark and unclear.

By reports it makes good use of 3D, and there's a lot of well-lit and colorful scenes. However, there's nothing that can help you if the particular projector in your particular auditorium is not calibrated correctly.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Arbitrary Coin posted:

It is definitely not a dark film at all and the action scenes mostly take place in open areas so the framing of each shot is pretty generous. I think 3D really enhances it but if you've had a bad experience at that theater I'd just go with 2D.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I must be weird because I enjoy the humor in these movies. I think they'd be kind of insufferable without it.

Some of them were just poorly timed. The gag with the girlfriend seeing the hovering cape came way too soon and killed the impact of the ancient one dying. If they'd removed that gag but kept the following one with the cape drying Strange's tears it would have been much better.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MisterBibs posted:

Did your audiences react as strongly to the Infinity Stone reveal? Mine did.

Was that actually revealed at any point? I thought people were just inferring it, because I don't remember any such reveal.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Ending gambit spoilers: So is Dormammu like super honorable or actually bound by his word? Because I figured the ending doesn't mean he'll never get to conquer earth now, just that he'll stop his current attempt - which is why the cultists had to go too, as without them he won't be able to make another anytime soon.

tsob posted:

Was that actually revealed at any point? I thought people were just inferring it, because I don't remember any such reveal.

Explicitly called out in the movie.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Avalerion posted:

Ending gambit spoilers: So is Dormammu like super honorable or actually bound by his word? Because I figured the ending doesn't mean he'll never get to conquer earth now, just that he'll stop his current attempt - which is why the cultists had to go too, as without them he won't be able to make another anytime soon.
Just like Galactus, it seems to be a common weakness with these cosmic entities.

Like previous movies, this one has an extra scene mid-credits and another post-credits. The mid-credits one is Strange talking to Thor about Loki. The after-credits is Mordo turning villain. If it were up to me, I'd have switched those around. I think Marvel Studios really keen to plug Thor: Ragnarok.

Kurzon fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 6, 2016

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Kurzon posted:

Just like Galactus, it seems to be a common weakness with these cosmic entities.

Like previous movies, this one has an extra scene mid-credits and another post-credits. The mid-credits one is Strange talking to Thor about Loki. The after-credits is Mordo turning villain. If it were up to me, I'd have switched those around. I think Marvel Studios really keen to plug Thor: Ragnarok.

I'm 95% sure they're gonna drop the Soul gem into Ragnarok seeing as James Gunn has explicitly said there will be no Infinity War stuff in GOTG2; and since Ragnarok is now Avengers 2.75 seeing as it features Thor, Hulk, and now more than likely Doctor Strange, it seems like the safe bet that they're using Ragnarok as the big build-up to Thanos actually doing something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

tsob posted:

Yup; toward the end of the movie, Wong and Strange are having a discussion in the ruins of room with the doors to each Sanctum, as Strange puts the Eye of Agamoto back on its pedestal. Wong tells him that he'll learn more about its powers over time; but an amateur shouldn't really be walking around with an infinity stone around his neck

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Ooh. I feel dumb as gently caress now, because I absolutely recall that, but the words "infinity stone" never clicked with me for some reason.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, when the Eye first showed up, and opened up to reveal a glowy green stone inside; I absolutely knew they were making that the Time Stone. But I wasn't expecting it to be explicitly confirmed in the same movie

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

jivjov posted:

Yeah, when the Eye first showed up, and opened up to reveal a glowy green stone inside; I absolutely knew they were making that the Time Stone. But I wasn't expecting it to be explicitly confirmed in the same movie

It's going to be so rad when Thanos comes for the stones. RIP Vision.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
So Dr.Strange is some sort of wizard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Zzulu posted:

So Dr.Strange is some sort of wizard?

More of a sorcerer, really. With lots of extra toppings.

• Locked thread