Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I find 1 hero limit more fun to play, both casually and competitively. this is why I'm glad it's in quick play now. I don't care if it's better for practice or w/e but I try to win in ranked and qp is the alternative for when I'm not feeling up to it or else I'm playing with a big group where ranked becomes utterly miserable. it's just not that fun to me to go up against hero stacks and I don't like how if a pubbie and I accidentally pick the same hero, half the time the whole team decides they need to do a gimmick comp

if you don't like 1 hero limit then fine, that's what you like and I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, but they're not taking it away so what's the problem here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Help Im Alive posted:

IMO they should change the character select screen to a widowmaker shooting range where you have to shoot the cardboard cutout of the hero you want to play (the hanzo cutout is 200 miles away/supports and mei are in melee range)

Primary-m1 Meis are pretty bad. Put her on a big target just after M1 range.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I welcome the one-hero limit coming to QP so that I can now just select D.Va as fast as possible and insta-leave the games where someone beats me to it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I find 1 hero limit more fun to play, both casually and competitively. this is why I'm glad it's in quick play now. I don't care if it's better for practice or w/e but I try to win in ranked and qp is the alternative for when I'm not feeling up to it or else I'm playing with a big group where ranked becomes utterly miserable. it's just not that fun to me to go up against hero stacks and I don't like how if a pubbie and I accidentally pick the same hero, half the time the whole team decides they need to do a gimmick comp

if you don't like 1 hero limit then fine, that's what you like and I'm not saying you're wrong to feel that way, but they're not taking it away so what's the problem here

That's how I feel about it, too. I prefer competitive because people in comp are usually (though certainly not always) actually trying to win, which means fewer Hanjos and more Reinhardts and a generally more enjoyable experience where you get to play Overwatch instead of Ape Escape 4: I Hope You Like Playing Winston Because We've Got 3 Genjis Lol Trolled. Some of the friends I play Overwatch with who are less confident in their skills don't like the stress/pressure competitive puts on them, though, so when we play together we usually end up doing a mix of comp and quick play based on who's online at the moment. And that's totally fine, it's what the modes are there for, but lately we've all been getting pretty burned out with lovely QP troll picks and wishing for a mode where we could play Actual Overwatch without worrying about SR (because some of us can't even play comp together) and 1HL QP at least gets us a little closer to that. I'm not naive enough to think 1HL is going to convince people in QP to pick Rein over Widowmaker, but I'm hopeful that once it hits I'll be able to play with my friends who aren't fond of or don't feel up to comp without constantly fighting lovely double-hanzo/mei/torb teams none of us want to deal with.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 6, 2016

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

Also this. Instalocking is only really a huge problem for QP if you only play one hero, which you shouldn't.

The only legit reason I can see for not liking instalocks so much is if you get forced into support, which can just be less fun than the other classes period. Even then, Ana and Zen can afford you some fun, and Lucio gimmicks on certain maps as well. I only really hate going support because it means my team will almost certainly lose since I am bad at healing and genuinely do not enjoy it and I only really play comp.
The problem is that people instalock the same three classes every loving match. No one complains if someone instalocks something useful. But a Widow/Hanjo/Genji every round and Torb on Koth matches is a real bummer.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I'm pretty pissed about Sombra having stealth. Okay, I am mad about videogames pissed. Is there any chance in hell they are going to rework it into something not nearly as broken?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Raskolnikov posted:

I'm pretty pissed about Sombra having stealth. Okay, I am mad about videogames pissed. Is there any chance in hell they are going to rework it into something not nearly as broken?

Well so far there's no indication that it's actually broken so much as a bunch of people simply assuming that because she has a cloak it means Overwatch is ruined forever, so you're probably gonna be waiting a while on that one.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Raskolnikov posted:

They won't likely flat out remove and replace an ability anytime soon. The best you could hope for is a nerf, but how about we actually play the character before we call for nerfs? There's literally no reason to be aggravated by a character we haven't played with or against.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I don't expect arcade to give any XP tbh, just "three wins = one lootbox," which to be fair is a lot better than the usual rate unless you lose a whole bunch.

Arcade mode, or even just no limit mode, needs to have exp gain or it will die off quick. Capping rewards for no limit mode at 3 loot boxes a week would be the absolute dumbest thing Blizzard could do imo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Raskolnikov posted:

They seemed pretty careful not to give her any instant-kill abilities (unless you're Zen lol) and her damage output in general is pretty mediocore when you consider the other flankers that fill the same role are Reaper, Genji Tracer

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

She can't do enough damage from stealth for it to seriously impact her combat performance. It seems more a way to get in position unseen, no worse than Reaper's teleport.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
Stealth is cool and good, blizz give sombra a backstab please

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Duck and Cover posted:

You could try having a discussion instead of being toxic/insulting to people you disagree with but I imagine that's too much to ask. You should try taking a lesson from me, I discuss issues.

you post garbage

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.
Invisibility, the game breaking mechanic that ruined TF2 and made Spy the dominant class for so many years.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Semper Fudge posted:

Invisibility, the game breaking mechanic that ruined TF2 and made Spy the dominant class for so many years.
It's just annoying as gently caress to deal with. It's my video game pet peeve.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Raskolnikov posted:

It's just annoying as gently caress to deal with. It's my video game pet peeve.

Okay, but "annoying as gently caress" doesn't mean it's broken though, and honestly it's probably going to wind up being less annoying than Genji's double-jump wall climb dashing around since aside from her translocator Sombra doesn't have much in the way of tricky vertical mobility and her cloak is broken the instant she takes any damage or attempts to do anything.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

Okay, but "annoying as gently caress" doesn't mean it's broken though, and honestly it's probably going to wind up being less annoying than Genji's double-jump wall climb dashing around since aside from her translocator Sombra doesn't have much in the way of tricky vertical mobility and her cloak is broken the instant she takes any damage or attempts to do anything.
Let's see, I play support heroes often. I am now going to have to work around Genji, Reaper and Sombra?

SO. MUCH. FUN.

She has plenty of mobility if you plan her teleport. As people learn the maps with her there are going to be an excess of escape routes and utterly infuriating bullshit she employs. Locking down the big health kits and buffing them for your team is going to cause rage. And what are you going to do about it? Shoot the air at all times?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Raskolnikov posted:

Why would you assume stealth is inherently broken? Spy is a real bad class in tf2 if the enemy team isn't trash awful and his invis is much better than Sombra's.
the only reason Sombra will be better than Spy will be to do with all the other parts of her kit that are't invis, and those are the parts you should be concerned about wrt balance(her tele, her hack on healthkits, her damage output, her ult)

e: if you wanna talk "annoying" mei's "slow and then freeze" is 10x more annoying than any stealth ability I have encountered in any pvp game

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

e: if you wanna talk "annoying" mei's "slow and then freeze" is 10x more annoying than any stealth ability I have encountered in any pvp game
I scream about Mei a ton too. :colbert:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Raskolnikov posted:

Let's see, I play support heroes often. I am now going to have to work around Genji, Reaper and Sombra?

SO. MUCH. FUN.

You also have Tracer, Meis who know how to use their M2, Hanzo headshots along with Scatter Arrow, Winston, Roadhog, accurate McCrees, and Pharahs to deal with.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
the burden of being valuable.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kai Tave posted:

You also have Tracer, Meis who know how to use their M2, Hanzo headshots along with Scatter Arrow, Winston, Roadhog, accurate McCrees, and Pharahs to deal with.

hanzo is literally the only one of those that i get actually mad about; everything else at least feels like i can do something or that its my own fault

the life of a support main :smithicide:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean the point is that Sombra isn't some radical new "gently caress you" being added to the game, if your concern is "wow this character seems like she could really make squishy and vulnerable backliners unhappy" then you're pretty late to the party in a game that shipped with Tracer and Genji in it among other things. Sombra may be a different option for people who want to play that sort of character but teams are still limited to six characters so every Sombra you face could just as easily have been a Tracer, a Genji, a Reaper, or whoever.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

As a Zenyatta player, I don't expect to have nearly as much trouble with Sombra as I do with Tracer and Genji. She may have the element of surprise, but her gun doesn't seem to do as much damage as Tracer's and her mobility isn't as good as either, so returning fire against her should be a lot more manageable.

It's Mercy who's really gotta worry, I think.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Sombra can cancel Mercy ult? Or do you mean in terms of stopping her healing beams etc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Looke posted:

Sombra can cancel Mercy ult? Or do you mean in terms of stopping her healing beams etc

I'm not actually sure Sombra can cancel Mercy's healing beam or not since it's a left-click ability, but what she can lock out is Mercy's Guardian Angel ability to fly to her allies which leaves her supremely vulnerable.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Does it stop lucio's wall climbing?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

resistentialism posted:

Does it stop lucio's wall climbing?

Nope. It doesn't stop passive abilities, so Lucio can still wallride, Pharah can still use her hoverjets, and I assume Mercy can still slowfall, Reaper can still pick up souls, etc.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Looke posted:

I assumed it would mess up her beams, but even if not, it WILL mess up her escape option. And Mercy is the character least capable of stopping a hack, because her gun isn't usually equipped and it fires slow projectiles.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

When people say you can only left click, does that mean you can't do like Roadhog's alt-shot/Mercy's damage-boost or is it just shorthand for "you can only shoot."

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

ImpAtom posted:

When people say you can only left click, does that mean you can't do like Roadhog's alt-shot/Mercy's damage-boost or is it just shorthand for "you can only shoot."

From what I've been told, but there hasn't been a ton of concrete info for me to confirm so take it with a grain of salt, it seems to be that you can't do anything but basic left-click actions. Soldier can't use his helix rockets, Hog can't M2, D.Va can't put up Defense Matrix, etc.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

e: dang that's crazy. sombra's ult seems ridiculous

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

My (uninformed) guess would be that the rule is based on whether or not your right-click uses your weapon. So Mei's icicles would still work, but D.Va's defense matrix wouldn't.

If it turns off ALL alt-fires, that's pretty powerful and a little weird.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 6, 2016

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Raskolnikov posted:

yes, you're going to have to work around Sombra, along with literally every other character except maybe Lucio and Mercy.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
For me personally Hanzo is one of the only characters that it's really a coin flip sometimes on whether or not I survive attacking him. If he has scatter arrow available the odds dip sharply.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Supercar Gautier posted:

My (uninformed) guess would be that the rule is based on whether or not your right-click uses your weapon. So Mei's icicles would still work, but D.Va's defense matrix wouldn't.

If it turns off ALL alt-fires, that's pretty powerful and a little weird.

Yeah you might be right, so far not a lot of the Youtube personalities who've been playing her at Blizzcon have been giving any hard ability breakdowns. It might let you use M2 abilities if they're tied to your weapon, then again it might not.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

scatter arrow can do up to 450 damage (each scatter deals 75 and there are 6) and a fully charged regular headshot does 250, so yea going up against hanzo can just randomly end up in your death sometimes

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Supercar Gautier posted:

If it turns of ALL alt-fires, that's pretty powerful and a little weird.

It only locks out things with buttons/spots on the UI, I believe is the only unifying rule. Passive effects and alt-fires like Roadhog, Zarya, or Mei's would still work. Abilities with a second trigger effect like Sombra recalling to her beacon or Junkrat detonating a mine also still work.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
some of the absolute best games in QP come from hero stacking so im kinda sad its going to Become Gay And Lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
roadhog is literally pudge