Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Analogical posted:

Enjoying civilian life. I frequently see Chiefs and make a point of calling them dude. In the elevator, one grinned and said he goes by "Chief". I said I know.

I still interact occasionally with buttplug though he knows not what I look like, I plan on calling him dude in the near future, or possibly "buttplug".

When's the last time we interacted? Can't think of any prior CTI2s that I ever cross paths with...

buttplug fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
Emergency drydocking in Portland to fix port CPP issues which have taken 4+years worth of replacing EHSV's to determine the cause.. Thank god my terminal starts today :dance:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grats on your freedom.

Speaking of Freedom, https://news.usni.org/2016/10/31/uss-montgomery-damaged-transiting

Goddamn we just need to dump those on the Coasties.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Thronde posted:

Grats on your freedom.

Speaking of Freedom, https://news.usni.org/2016/10/31/uss-montgomery-damaged-transiting

It's a shame we've already named something else the Gerald Ford class.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Thronde posted:

Grats on your freedom.

Those things are pieces of poo poo. The only times I've seen one they've either been broken or mostly broken.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I was on them for Reserves. Their crews are exhausted and overwhelmed, can't maintain because everything contracted, and they break worse than F35s.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Thronde posted:

I was on them for Reserves. Their crews are exhausted and overwhelmed, can't maintain because everything contracted, and they break worse than F35s.

let the F35 squadrons do a couple carrier rotations before we say anything crazy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Thronde posted:

Grats on your freedom.

I think you mean Independence.

As someone who works on the LM variant I'm totally fine with an Indy smashing into a lock.

These should be force net ships though, they should stop trying to get any actual warfare capability out of them.

Edit: the Coast Guard cutters aren't too different from a Freedom class actually. At least from a CMS standpoint.

sweg420blazeit
Oct 11, 2016
Can't wait to see some hot live sub action down in mayport in a couple weeks on this VIP trip. In the meantime, holy paperwork batman.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Thronde posted:

Grats on your freedom.

Is the Montgomery the most unlucky of the littorals?

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

theAcidQueen posted:

Emergency drydocking in Portland to fix port CPP issues which have taken 4+years worth of replacing EHSV's to determine the cause.. Thank god my terminal starts today :dance:

What are they doing for berthing (I know which ship you are talking about)?

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

theAcidQueen posted:

On a plus(or minus) note the Dancing Bare is walking distance from Swan Island yard.
Casa Diablo is a short cab ride away and there are a myriad assortment of other Portland ballet troupes to dazzle. I love Mary's and the Mexican place it shares a head with is good.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Ok, so time for you guys to get something to laugh at.

I immigrated to the states from Norway about 6 months ago on a conditional greencard through my wife. Had a decent job through an NGO I had worked with in Greece (still work with) focussed on providing healthcare to Syrian and Jezidi refugees. I'm only adding this so you'll know how much of a good thing I want to throw away/am losing.

Anyway, the NGO is folding and I won't have a job for more than 4 months or so. I really don't have any marketable skills other than being a veteran (8 years, Norwegian Army E-5 equivalent) a Norwegian paramedic degree and and a lovely political science BA. In addition my wife was recently in an accident and will need some pretty major healthcare for basically ever but also isn't willing to move to Norway away from her aging parents to get said healthcare, and even if she was it would take years to get all the paperwork in order .
So, my stroke of genious was to see about joining the Navy. Yeah. I know, but it's better than joining the Army. Never again.

I had a chat with a recruiter and he seemed pretty keen, but then that's also his job. I'm turning 30 this year, and I'm not joining unless i can go in at something approaching my old rank and skip a lot of the boot poo poo, which he also so far seemed to think was doable. Anyway, what neither this guy and nobody in his office seemed to know was whether it's even possible to join up on a conditional green card. I find it hard to know this isn't a commond question, but here we are. The internet seems to be split on this too.

So, when you're done laughing at me for trying to get back to the big green (blue?) weenie, does anyone know about joining on conditional green cards? ANy other advice other than 'don't do it'? I wouldn't be contemplating this if I didn't think it might be my best chance of providing some security and healthcare for my family.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

Ok, so time for you guys to get something to laugh at.

I immigrated to the states from Norway about 6 months ago on a conditional greencard through my wife. Had a decent job through an NGO I had worked with in Greece (still work with) focussed on providing healthcare to Syrian and Jezidi refugees. I'm only adding this so you'll know how much of a good thing I want to throw away/am losing.

Anyway, the NGO is folding and I won't have a job for more than 4 months or so. I really don't have any marketable skills other than being a veteran (8 years, Norwegian Army E-5 equivalent) a Norwegian paramedic degree and and a lovely political science BA. In addition my wife was recently in an accident and will need some pretty major healthcare for basically ever but also isn't willing to move to Norway away from her aging parents to get said healthcare, and even if she was it would take years to get all the paperwork in order .
So, my stroke of genious was to see about joining the Navy. Yeah. I know, but it's better than joining the Army. Never again.

I had a chat with a recruiter and he seemed pretty keen, but then that's also his job. I'm turning 30 this year, and I'm not joining unless i can go in at something approaching my old rank and skip a lot of the boot poo poo, which he also so far seemed to think was doable. Anyway, what neither this guy and nobody in his office seemed to know was whether it's even possible to join up on a conditional green card. I find it hard to know this isn't a commond question, but here we are. The internet seems to be split on this too.

So, when you're done laughing at me for trying to get back to the big green (blue?) weenie, does anyone know about joining on conditional green cards? ANy other advice other than 'don't do it'? I wouldn't be contemplating this if I didn't think it might be my best chance of providing some security and healthcare for my family.

Service guarantees citizenship is a thing, you can enlist on a green card, however the recruiter is totally blowing smoke up your rear end to try to get you to sign a paper. He does not have the authority to enlist you at anything above E-3 and even then it requires having hit some specific goals to get that. You would have to go through the entire boot camp process on coming in, even though you're ex Norwegian Army. I can guarantee however that US Navy boot is probably easier than anything you did in the Norwegian Army, and if you're really thinking about it, boot camp wouldn't be that hard for you unless you're a fat or a cripple.

However, you will not be able to get a security clearance right out the box, and that would shut you off from a good many dedicated paths to the more technical jobs in the Navy, at least initially, but with how they are talking about what they are doing with training and stuff now I have no idea how much easier or harder it is to change what you are doing in the Navy if you are not happy with your current job.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

no bones about it posted:

Service guarantees citizenship is a thing, you can enlist on a green card, however the recruiter is totally blowing smoke up your rear end to try to get you to sign a paper. He does not have the authority to enlist you at anything above E-3 and even then it requires having hit some specific goals to get that. You would have to go through the entire boot camp process on coming in, even though you're ex Norwegian Army. I can guarantee however that US Navy boot is probably easier than anything you did in the Norwegian Army, and if you're really thinking about it, boot camp wouldn't be that hard for you unless you're a fat or a cripple.

However, you will not be able to get a security clearance right out the box, and that would shut you off from a good many dedicated paths to the more technical jobs in the Navy, at least initially, but with how they are talking about what they are doing with training and stuff now I have no idea how much easier or harder it is to change what you are doing in the Navy if you are not happy with your current job.

Thats a mix of decent and bad news. Googling for a bit told me that the navy and army accept people on conditional greencards while the AF only takes 10 year ones (which I won't have for about 14 months) so that's 'good'.

I was afraid the recruiter was stringing me along on what I asked for re: rank and skipping poo poo, but at least that means I can go to our next meeting with a little more knowledge. I'm in decent shape so actually doing boot camp wouldn't be a problem, it would be more the whole 'being a boot' thing, but I guess I can deal if it comes to it.
Is there any chance I would be able to go to the fleet/sail without an immediate clearance? Oh, and thanks for being straight about the recruiter bullshitting me.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

Thats a mix of decent and bad news. Googling for a bit told me that the navy and army accept people on conditional greencards while the AF only takes 10 year ones (which I won't have for about 14 months) so that's 'good'.

I was afraid the recruiter was stringing me along on what I asked for re: rank and skipping poo poo, but at least that means I can go to our next meeting with a little more knowledge. I'm in decent shape so actually doing boot camp wouldn't be a problem, it would be more the whole 'being a boot' thing, but I guess I can deal if it comes to it.
Is there any chance I would be able to go to the fleet/sail without an immediate clearance? Oh, and thanks for being straight about the recruiter bullshitting me.

Oh you would be able to go to the fleet no problem, in fact it is rather likely you would be sent to a ship, but you might not be able to become like a communications guy or a computer hacker guy right out of the gate, as both of those jobs require a clearance. I can't really provide too much info regarding the citizenship process, but I know that if you join the military you usually can extremely fast track a US citizenship (waive the 10 year residency requirement) and the actual process is supposedly easier as well. Once you would have a citizenship, it is not so difficult to go through the process to get a clearance, it takes about a year, and they will check into your background rather thoroughly. Like all people you put down as references/contacts will all get a visit from an investigator and odds are the neighbors of those people will too.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

There are jobs that don't require a security clearance, yes. What no bones about it is saying is that most of them are paint monkey/wrench jockey jobs, and there's no guarantee that you'll be able to cross-rate (if that's even still a term) into another field once you get your clearance sorted out.

On the subject of jumping pay grades, I'd be surprised if that were possible above E-3, except for things like musicians. Think about it this way, how much sense would it make for the Norwegian Army to take a 30 year old ex-US Navy petty officer 2nd class and make him your platoon sergeant?

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

First off, what kind of army does Norway have that after 8 years you haven't sworn off military service ever again?

You can definitely go to the fleet without a clearance. We had a ceremony for the people who got citizenship on the boat. Again as a previous poster said without a clearance you won't get a good job in a technical field, and I can't think of a single non-poo poo job that won't require one. So if you go to the fleet you can expect to crank or chip sand paint.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

hogmartin posted:

On the subject of jumping pay grades, I'd be surprised if that were possible above E-3, except for things like musicians. Think about it this way, how much sense would it make for the Norwegian Army to take a 30 year old ex-US Navy petty officer 2nd class and make him your platoon sergeant?

Yeah, you're completely right. I guess I was just hoping to get out of some poo poo by having a provable record and experience. We do have a few American ex mils around but they usually don't slot right into 'command' positions. I see your point.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

First off, what kind of army does Norway have that after 8 years you haven't sworn off military service ever again?

You can definitely go to the fleet without a clearance. We had a ceremony for the people who got citizenship on the boat. Again as a previous poster said without a clearance you won't get a good job in a technical field, and I can't think of a single non-poo poo job that won't require one. So if you go to the fleet you can expect to crank or chip sand paint.

To be fair even in a technical job you can definitely expect to do lots of painting and cranking, because youre an E-3, and thus, the bitch. In technical jobs areas that doesnt usually last more than 1 to 2 promotion cycles though as technical jobs tend to promote quickly due to high turnover and people quitting to get paid 2x to 3x as much as a civilian doing the same thing.

Admin guys can get away without needing a clearance, but you wouldnt be able to handle certain tasks. Theres plenty of desk jobs that dont turn wrenches or chip paint but they dont promote very fast due to people not quitting until high year tenure or retirement.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 5, 2016

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

Blackchamber posted:

I honestly loved it. We have unions, great benefits and pay's decent too. I left because of school and just being over it, but I never hated it after my year as a boot/conscript when I moved into 'professional' soldiering

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Nuclear War posted:

I honestly loved it. We have unions, great benefits and pay's decent too. I left because of school and just being over it, but I never hated it after my year as a boot/conscript when I moved into 'professional' soldiering

We don't have unions, the pay is merely OK (it shielded me from the Great Recession just fine, but that was more a function of being deployed or in workups for 24 months out of a 3 year cycle), Tricare (health plan)is decent, not the best plan money can buy, but a hell of a lot better than most employer offered plans.

I didn't really hate being in, but I kind of developed the same kind of emotion regarding it as if you're eating a dish you don't particularly like and haven't liked for some time. Being in a leadership position and responsible for a bunch of 17 year old snot-nosed kids quickly saps your desire to be in the military imo. Someone post the terminal lance comic where the fresh butter bar gets command of his first platoon of Marines.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 5, 2016

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nuclear War posted:

You might have a better experience going the medical route, there are some corpsmen in the thread who can offer advice on that.

e: http://terminallance.com/2010/02/02/terminal-lance-9-the-natural-age-progression-of-a-weapons-platoon-commander/ ?

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Nov 5, 2016

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

hogmartin posted:

You might have a better experience going the medical route, there are some corpsmen in the thread who can offer advice on that.

e: http://terminallance.com/2010/02/02/terminal-lance-9-the-natural-age-progression-of-a-weapons-platoon-commander/ ?

Well I was a medic/medical team leader before I left to be a paramedic/save the world as an NGO worker. I would love to know more about that

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nuclear War posted:

The Bootcamp RDC's are only dicks to shitheel 18 year olds, if your mature about it they leave you alone and all you have to do is put up with the shitheel 18 year olds who surround you and the dumb getting woken up in the middle of the night and having no time to shower or poop.

Navy bootcamp life was super easy in retrospect.

Sadly all the good jobs in the Navy require clearances. Do Yeoman need a clearance? I'd see if you can go Yeoman or Storekeeper (Whatever they're called these days gently caress the changes) They have a pretty cushy life.

e; Or definitely go Corpsman, if you were a medic before Corpsman is the place to be. They're mostly competent if you hang around the IDC's and the marine augments and avoid the ones who gently caress up people as glorified nurses for a living.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Nov 5, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hogmartin posted:

Yeah that's the one. It applies quite well to any leadership position in the military as long as your rear end is getting reamed for what someone under you did.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

The Bootcamp RDC's are only dicks to shitheel 18 year olds, if your mature about it they leave you alone and all you have to do is put up with the shitheel 18 year olds who surround you and the dumb getting woken up in the middle of the night and having no time to shower or poop.

Navy bootcamp life was super easy in retrospect.

Sadly all the good jobs in the Navy require clearances. Do Yeoman need a clearance? I'd see if you can go Yeoman or Storekeeper (Whatever they're called these days gently caress the changes) They have a pretty cushy life.

I think storekeeper got merged with postal clerk and turned into 'logistics specialist' until all the rates just blew up. And yeah, boot camp would be candy for a Norwegian Army sergeant, aside from having to deal with 18 year olds bullshit and the fallout from that bullshit. But you'll have to go, and then you'll go to a school for your rate, and then you'll have to do poo poo jobs on your first ship for a few months. It's a different branch of service in a different country, you'll have to learn how it works. You are older and prior military and can handle yourself, so you'll probably get the good liberty cards and be trusted more overall, but there's going to be a point in a year or so where you'll look in a mirror and think "I was a sergeant in the Norwegian Army and now I'm washing dishes in a paper hat".

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

hogmartin posted:

I think storekeeper got merged with postal clerk and turned into 'logistics specialist' until all the rates just blew up. And yeah, boot camp would be candy for a Norwegian Army sergeant, aside from having to deal with 18 year olds bullshit and the fallout from that bullshit. But you'll have to go, and then you'll go to a school for your rate, and then you'll have to do poo poo jobs on your first ship for a few months. It's a different branch of service in a different country, you'll have to learn how it works. You are older and prior military and can handle yourself, so you'll probably get the good liberty cards and be trusted more overall, but there's going to be a point in a year or so where you'll look in a mirror and think "I was a sergeant in the Norwegian Army and now I'm washing dishes in a paper hat".

Thanks guys, I'm strangely feeling a little better about this maybe being a thing in the future even though a lot of the suppositions I had made up were crushed. I still have four months of cushy job with actual health insurance, and a lot could change but if I do go in, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nuclear War posted:

Thanks guys, I'm strangely feeling a little better about this maybe being a thing in the future even though a lot of the suppositions I had made up were crushed. I still have four months of cushy job with actual health insurance, and a lot could change but if I do go in, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

Do the reserves. 2 months of cake boot camp. Literally, cake is on the daily menu, or cookies. Some bull poo poo A school for a few months, back home with the family and you have to sacrifice one weekend a month but that basically pays for your health insurance.

My experience has been amazing two years in. I went to boot at 37.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Yeah, you're not even guaranteed to retain rank when transferring between services in the US.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

LingcodKilla posted:

Do the reserves. 2 months of cake boot camp. Literally, cake is on the daily menu, or cookies. Some bull poo poo A school for a few months, back home with the family and you have to sacrifice one weekend a month but that basically pays for your health insurance.

My experience has been amazing two years in. I went to boot at 37.

Everything about your experience seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I came in at 31 on the active duty side and aside from dealing with standard enlisted nonsense that's unavoidable I've had a pretty mellow time. Being older and having your poo poo together leads to being hosed with like, never, is my experience

That said don't do it Nordic Bro

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011
The Coast Guard accepts non-us citizens... it seems to suck way less than the navy

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Godholio posted:

Everything about your experience seems to be the exception rather than the rule.

Possibly. I don't run into many IT reservists. C school at Dam Neck has exposed me to a lot of fleet sailors, and I do appreciate what I got going for me.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Nordic Bro,

Despite all the negatism the Navy does provide decent benefits and can help fast track your transition into American society. I enlisted out of high school with a green card as an electrician's mate and served on a big deck amphib ship for 3 years. During my 3 years I applied for my citizenship and got it relatively quickly. The five year requirement and fees were waived. Also the military has a dedicated naturalization office that helps you fill out the paperwork. When I filed for citizenship it was sent to a specific office that only handles service members, not the geographic one for general population.

After I got my citizenship I immediately applied for an officer program and got picked up. I think you're gonna be above the age limit for most officer programs but I'm mentioning this to show you how far you can go coming in as a mark 1 mod 0 immigrant. By the time I commissioned I received my degree, got a top secret/sci clearance, and was world wide assignable in the officer specialty of my choice. I stupidly picked SWO and that's that. I'm getting ready to leave the Navy after 12 years of service, 8 years of them being active duty this spring.

So the Navy has worked out for me. My days sucked when I was an electrician. I wasn't better than anyone but being an electrician was wonderful when I was actually doing my job which was 20% of the time. Rest of the time I was doing typical junior sailor BS such as cleaning, washing dishes in mess duty, and other odds and ends.

Most of my friends who are staying are because they have a family. The medical and qualify of life benefits for people with family are pretty good despite all the complaints. For example my friend has a special needs child and the Navy has an "exceptional family member" program where they guarantee assignments close to the medical facilities that support your loved ones.

Take careful stock of what is important to you. Will you get a paycheck and secure healthcare for you and your wife? Yes. Will you take a massive lifestyle hit? Yes. Will you have opportunities to move up? Yes. I know people who have enlisted at 31 and made a career of the Navy because it was the only thing they could get their hands on and it's worked out for them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
You may even be able to apply for officer programs prior to actually becoming a citizen. It was possible with ROTC (went to college with a South African who got her citizenship 2 or 3 days prior to commissioning), not sure about OCS or whatever the Navy has for active duty personnel.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
so Terminal Leave update: Life is indeed easier not having to deal with any aspect of active duty Navy routine at all.

If you don't mind the fact that you'll be dropping from 2 paychecks a month to a single and being responsible for your own medical appointments and the like, it's all rather straightforward.

Also college owns.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Godholio posted:

went to college with a South African who got her citizenship 2 or 3 days prior to commissioning

Apropos of nothing, this is legitimately the best accent there is.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Well this is embarrassing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Well this is embarrassing.

just lmao if you're still in. Nordic dude you might want to reconsider before raising your right hand and swearing an oath to the Great Pumpkin.

• Locked thread