Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Re: Nate and 538

I think his model is just being broken by lovely polls and a bunch of undecideds. Tracking polls, Jeff Roe, Gravis, Emerson, and 50-state Surveys should actually all just be loving ignored. Emerson is rated B by 538 but they actually think very poorly of those polls. Survey Monkey and Google polls are given a lot of weight because they have a fuckload of LV. It's all garbage anywya.

I think adjusting for national trendlines is defensible. Now, I think there's really not that much volatility and we shouldn't worry too much about swings in national polls anyway, but given that 538 is "polls-only," it's a pretty good idea.

I don't know much about the state correlations though. Maybe this year they're borked because Trump is so weird or we have re-aligning elecorates or what not. I just don't see why I should be worried about Wisconsin just because Selzer has Trump up 7 in Iowa. Like, I get that they're similar in some demographics, but when Marquette has Clinton up 6, I'll trust them over some vague state correlations. People got really into state correlations in the primaries and thought Wisconsin meant Trump was doomed in Indiana, but he sure wasn't.

As for the polls themselves: There's enough polling from reputable firms to say "hey, well, I guess Trump could win." Trump+1 in NH, up in FLA/NV/NC... I can see the argument there. You can say "I see enough smoke that Trump's victory isn't completely implausible, going just off polls."

Now, I think we're at the point with early voting and stuff that we can say "Well, there could be a polling error or undecideds could break for Trump" is probably not gonna happen. And we can say "well, if NV is in the bag for Clinton, it makes his path way harder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

shiksa posted:

lol remember when the alt-right pivoted from literal 4chan codewords for pedophilia to witchcraft in under 24 hrs

its really reassuring that they're really really bad at convincing messaging.

The best is all the semi-sane posters trying to get them to focus on the emails that actually show some (not illegal but sketchy) fiscal impropriety and watching them get shouted down as CTR shills until they stop posting

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/electionsmith/status/795105192211517444
https://twitter.com/electionsmith/status/795106645558837248

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

mannerup posted:

quote:

He says he's a Republican. He said he was terrified by how the crowd responded: "I was in survival mode. I knew I could die at that moment." His name is Austyn Crites. He's 33 and works on high altitude balloons. He's voting for some Republicans this year - just not Trump. Austin told me he was punched, kicked. Someone grabbed his testicles and he his neck was in a chokehold. He said he feared for his life.

This seems very fishy. Trump supporters would never, ever grab somebody in their genitals out of nowhere.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

By Election Day, the story will be that Hillary personally rolled up in a van and opened fire with a machine gun.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Zas posted:

between mcmuffin, this guy, and the rick wilson guy im noticing a pattern with the never trump republicans

Skinhead is gonna mean nonracist right wing after this cycle

Lotta stereotypes gettin' shattered

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Sir Tonk posted:

its movie time

What kind of pussy doesn't shitpost during movies?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This seems like very bad news for Trump.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

lol

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

jackofarcades posted:

Re: Nate and 538

I think his model is just being broken by lovely polls and a bunch of undecideds. Tracking polls, Jeff Roe, Gravis, Emerson, and 50-state Surveys should actually all just be loving ignored. Emerson is rated B by 538 but they actually think very poorly of those polls. Survey Monkey and Google polls are given a lot of weight because they have a fuckload of LV. It's all garbage anywya.

I think adjusting for national trendlines is defensible. Now, I think there's really not that much volatility and we shouldn't worry too much about swings in national polls anyway, but given that 538 is "polls-only," it's a pretty good idea.

I don't know much about the state correlations though. Maybe this year they're borked because Trump is so weird or we have re-aligning elecorates or what not. I just don't see why I should be worried about Wisconsin just because Selzer has Trump up 7 in Iowa. Like, I get that they're similar in some demographics, but when Marquette has Clinton up 6, I'll trust them over some vague state correlations. People got really into state correlations in the primaries and thought Wisconsin meant Trump was doomed in Indiana, but he sure wasn't.

As for the polls themselves: There's enough polling from reputable firms to say "hey, well, I guess Trump could win." Trump+1 in NH, up in FLA/NV/NC... I can see the argument there. You can say "I see enough smoke that Trump's victory isn't completely implausible, going just off polls."

Now, I think we're at the point with early voting and stuff that we can say "Well, there could be a polling error or undecideds could break for Trump" is probably not gonna happen. And we can say "well, if NV is in the bag for Clinton, it makes his path way harder."

hmmm

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A ton of the NPA vote in FL is non-whites.

https://twitter.com/steveschale/status/795111716178825221

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Night10194 posted:

These look like really, really good numbers. Miami Dade is really important for the Dems, right?

Yeah but there's some polling that shows Murphy doesn't have a big edge on Rubio there so it might not kill Rubio

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I missed "Spirit Cooking", what's up with that?

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

what does npa stand for

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

no party affiliation i reckon

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

C-Euro posted:

john podesta is in league with satan

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

triple sulk posted:

what does npa stand for

No Party Affiliation. basically it's Independents.

Apparently Hispanic voters tend to register as NPA, I don't know why.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

C-Euro posted:

cannibalism

not joking, the current message is "hillary & company are cannibals and eat human flesh"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Sir Tonk posted:

better than alcohol

Are you watching Drew Scanlon play VR games for charity?

oneforthevine
Sep 25, 2015

Okay, that's Florida done and dusted, then. Now how about that Arizona?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

C-Euro posted:

honest to god cannibal satanist rumors aimed at hillary

it will amount to nothing, much like the rest of trumps efforts in this election

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Just saw an ad that was nothing but clips of Trump talking. Like 20 of them back to back with no text or anything in between the clips, and then finally at the end it said "he should never be president"

lol

I mean seriously, how can people watch something like that and be okay with him.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jdsnGswmGg it was this, but without the music, and the text at the end was different

GAYS FOR DAYS fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 6, 2016

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

TRUMP

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Slate Action posted:

No Party Affiliation. basically it's Independents.

Apparently Hispanic voters tend to register as NPA, I don't know why.

Swerve ending: the NPAs were all Cuban and they voted Trump

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

C-Euro posted:

Conservatives don't know who Marina Abramovic is and Podesta went to a performance art thing she did and now they think he's a Satanist

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
i like that trump has breathtakingly horrible people do keynotes at his rally until he shows up, so he looks vaguely good in comparison

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

C-Euro posted:

John Podesta's brother is an art collector and he got invited to dinner by Marina Abramovic, a kooky performance artist. This somehow turned into a satanic cult trafficking in little children.

Colonel Corazon
Feb 12, 2011

A faction armed to the teeth hardly seems friendly to me.

Hello Nasty Women and Bad Hombres!

Goons have raised over $25,000 for RAINN (Rape, Abuse, & Incest National Network). It's a fantastic non profit group that spends 93 cents of every dollar donated on directly helping survivors and preventing sexual violence. Anything you're able to give will matter and make a difference!

Join us and post your donation in this thread to add to the tally! And if you'd like a sweet as hell gang tag, go on to post in the Nasty Woman / Bad Hombre Donation Thread.

Let's do something Good!

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
hey guys i have spent my night partying, can someone be a friend and link me this trump getting whisked off the stage video? i am buzzed and have no idea what is going on so thx in advance

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

C-Euro posted:

you know how this election was unbelievably dumb and couldn't possibly get any stupider?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Looking forward to the Schnorkles Report tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/795112707477434368

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Phyresis posted:

sup Hammer Lord buddy

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Just saw an ad that was nothing but clips of Trump talking. Like 20 of them back to back with no text or anything in between the clips, and then finally at the end it said "he should never be president"

lol

I mean seriously, how can people watch something like that and be okay with him.

"he'll put a pro-life justice on the supreme court!" :byodood:

^ half my facebook conservative feed; the other half is that hillary personally committed benghazi emails while tearing up the constitution. people find a way to justify it by ignoring his awful policies and person.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/JesseFFerguson/status/795093652309766144

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Naturally.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

go fairfax i guess

prince william is pretty hispanic and fairfax is 60+% blue in a normal year

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

C-Euro posted:

Hillary is literally being accused of witchcraft

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I'm a big adult son

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

CortezFantastic posted:

hey guys i have spent my night partying, can someone be a friend and link me this trump getting whisked off the stage video? i am buzzed and have no idea what is going on so thx in advance

google it you lazy fuccboi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Tracking Polls Are Dumb

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/795113833626898432

• Locked thread