Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Blade would be perfect for Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lobok posted:

Does he count as several white guy characters?

No, his MCU Spider-Man personality is Miles Morales.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The odds of Doctor Strange 2 just being Triumph and Torment with Loki instead of Doom are fairly high, right? There aren't that many to pull from and that'd certainly fit with the focus on team-ups going forward.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
One other interesting thing from the Feige chat:

The 2019 schedule (Currently Unnamed Avengers 4 and Captain Marvel) is not finalized. They might add a 3rd movie with a Fall release date to replace the previous Inhumans movie slot. (This will most likely be a Doctor Strange or Black Panther sequel.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

The odds of Doctor Strange 2 just being Triumph and Torment with Loki instead of Doom are fairly high, right? There aren't that many to pull from and that'd certainly fit with the focus on team-ups going forward.

I expect it to involved Clea.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

They're using Hela in Thor 3 so they might be wary of doing another ruler of the underworld story. In one of the CD threads somebody said the rumour was Nightmare being the big bad.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lobok posted:

They're using Hela in Thor 3 so they might be wary of doing another ruler of the underworld story. In one of the CD threads somebody said the rumour was Nightmare being the big bad.

Yeah. CineD speculation is that assuming Doctor Strange does well there's going to be a direct sequel and the villain will be Nightmare or Chthon. There's some speculation that Dormammu or Shuma-Gorath may be the next big MCU-wide villain after Thanos.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Empirikul from Aaron's run would be cool for a Strange movie.

I'd keep my eyes out for a Nova movie, and for Marvel to start considering legacy heroes.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

WickedHate posted:

I find that weird, because I don't think there's a glut of them right now. At least, not any more than you'd expect out of a super hero franchises. None of the Caps or Iron Mans were.

I think the idea is that after Infinity War they'll probably have gone as far in that direction as they can.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Perry Normal posted:

I think the idea is that after Infinity War they'll probably have gone as far in that direction as they can.

It'll be nice to not have so much buildup, too. There really is no way the fight against Thanos is going to live up to the expectations of ten years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was kind of weird that the last bit of the credits was a message about not driving distracted.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

It was kind of weird that the last bit of the credits was a message about not driving distracted.

Well otherwise it's clearly a film about how texting and driving is the path to adult Hogwarts.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

I wouldn't mind if the Dr. Strange sequel also had Blade and was the Montessi Formula storyline.

Just so we can have the villain be Dracula.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Well otherwise it's clearly a film about how texting and driving is the path to adult Hogwarts.

"This One Weird Trick Is Turning Millenials Into Wizards"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
So Phase 4 will essentially be the cinematic equivalent of "Marvel Team-Up". Not sure how I feel about that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel's thing is to find something that works then run it into the ground.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Only reason I'm bummed that Zendaya is Mary Jane, is that it seemed slightly more interesting when it was rumored she would be Liz Allan (and possibly Firestar) instead.

Edit: OK I just learned Liz Allan is apparently in the movie played by someone else so that is cool.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Nov 6, 2016

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aphrodite posted:

Maybe it's more 'we have literally no idea how we can top the last ten years so we're probably not going to try.'

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Hollywood in general really.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The stories are all pretty by the numbers but I like that the films all look and feel quite different.

Probably the one film that bucked the trend was Winter Soldier, really just because you were expecting solely a Winter Soldier adaptation but they grew in some Secret Warriors too. Iron Man 3 also with the Mandarin reveal.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

So Phase 4 will essentially be the cinematic equivalent of "Marvel Team-Up". Not sure how I feel about that.

i fail to see the negative in this :v:

Lobok posted:

It'll be nice to not have so much buildup, too. There really is no way the fight against Thanos is going to live up to the expectations of ten years.

holy poo poo this. I have a feeling ALOT of people are going to be pissed come the Infinity War credits

BornAPoorBlkChild fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 6, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Race Realists posted:

i fail to see the negative in this :v:

holy poo poo this. I have a feeling ALOT of people are going to be pissed come the Infinity War credits

I dunno. I think they Judas gotta tick off some nerd list checkboxes and every one will rave it's the best thing ever.

1. Thor days "We would have words with thee, Thanos" to make up for him not saying it to Ultron.
2. Ultron beats Thor into his own hammer.
3. Captain America picks up the hammer.
4. Throw in something stupid out of left field like Tony puts Hulk in the Hulkbuster armor to form DOUBLE HULK

But as long as they do the first three. Just do it the way nerds have already mapped it out in their heads for ten years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I will be surprised if they don't recreate the Captain America getting in Thanos' face panels

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

irlZaphod posted:

Yeah I think I forgot to mention here but the Marvel Studios logo change is so bad. They went from something which was visually quite interesting to boring stills from previous films.

It's pretty darn ugly and is going to look dated as hell in about 5 years. Heck, it looks pretty dated now.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That new logo looked good in 3D.

I'm not worried about Infinity War. It's going to be huge and awesome. Just putting all these characters in the same movie will be worth the price of admission. Tony Stark trying to out snark a talking Raccoon, Scott Lang and Peter Quill: Lovable losers, or any of a thousand other combinations.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering how absolutely incredible the special effects were in Strange I sincerely doubt that the Thanos faceoff in IW will be anything less than incredible.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Open Marriage Night posted:

That new logo looked good in 3D.

I'm not worried about Infinity War. It's going to be huge and awesome. Just putting all these characters in the same movie will be worth the price of admission. Tony Stark trying to out snark a talking Raccoon, Scott Lang and Peter Quill: Lovable losers, or any of a thousand other combinations.

It's going to be difficult to balance all of those character interactions and still tell a compelling story. Avengers alone had to sell you on, what, 6-10 big MCU characters coming together and interacting? It was a disjointed mess and Infinity War looks to at least double that cast.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'll admit, I wouldn't mind if the story just stops for 20 minutes to get all sorts of character interactions going, like Scott shrinking Rocket to half his size so he'd be the perfect plushie for his daughter while Peter and Steve chat up about how much the earth's changed since they left (and Peter losing his mind about the upcoming Star Wars movie and how he'd be a dumbass not to see it in theaters December 2020 on 3D IMAX) or Spidey bugging Stephen about wizard stuff.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's going to be difficult to balance all of those character interactions and still tell a compelling story. Avengers alone had to sell you on, what, 6-10 big MCU characters coming together and interacting? It was a disjointed mess and Infinity War looks to at least double that cast.

2:20 or so, and you drop the hammer from the word go. 20 minutes maybe of getting into it, then flat out. It'd be fine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jamesman posted:

Only reason I'm bummed that Zendaya is Mary Jane, is that it seemed slightly more interesting when it was rumored she would be Liz Allan (and possibly Firestar) instead.

Edit: OK I just learned Liz Allan is apparently in the movie played by someone else so that is cool.

Liz Allen is not Firestar in the Marvel Universe. That's an Ultimate Universe thing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Liz Allen is not Firestar in the Marvel Universe. That's an Ultimate Universe thing.

Well, the movies do take a lot after Ultimate.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

WickedHate posted:

Well, the movies do take a lot after Ultimate.

Yeah like the time Hawkeye's family was brutally murdered in front of him and how Pietro and Wanda were loving. And how Captain America is an enormous rear end in a top hat to everyone.

The films take some visuals and that's about it. If Sam Jackson wasn't playing NIck Fury you could barely even say the films had any Ultimate influences.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

What we really need in the MCU is an adaptation of that scene where Hawkeye kills a bunch of dudes with his fingernails.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Yeah like the time Hawkeye's family was brutally murdered in front of him and how Pietro and Wanda were loving. And how Captain America is an enormous rear end in a top hat to everyone.

The films take some visuals and that's about it. If Sam Jackson wasn't playing NIck Fury you could barely even say the films had any Ultimate influences.

Cap is an enormous rear end in a top hat in Civil War.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

To be fair, we didn't know they WEREN'T loving. Maybe they would have explored that story arc in a future movie if Whedon didn't kill off Quicksilver so soon?

This is a joke!

Good point, though. Still, I'd say Liz Allen is enough of a C-List supporting character that if she did have a major role making her Firestar wouldn't be a stretch, especially if Marvel wants a bunch of background heroes eventually to support the main ensembles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey, where's that racist vampire guy, I'm sure he has some choice words about Zendaya being cast as MJ.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

WickedHate posted:

To be fair, we didn't know they WEREN'T loving. Maybe they would have explored that story arc in a future movie if Whedon didn't kill off Quicksilver so soon?

This is a joke!

Good point, though. Still, I'd say Liz Allen is enough of a C-List supporting character that if she did have a major role making her Firestar wouldn't be a stretch, especially if Marvel wants a bunch of background heroes eventually to support the main ensembles.

This is Sony, not Marvel.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Firestar is Fox anyway since she's a mutant.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Also this.

I really wish people would quit with this "THE FILMS ARE ULTIMATE" crap already. They very clearly are not based on the the UU aside from things like Hawkeye's vest from the first Avengers film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

Yeah, even the Liz version was a mutant.

Some of that Ultimate stuff could get pretty complicated if one of the 3 decided to use them. Like Ultimate Jessica Drew. At least with the relationship between Sony and Marvel that would probably get worked out. It's not like her name is important, they could just change it.

They've got Silk to do a female led Spidey movie if they want anyway.

• Locked thread