Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Improbable Lobster posted:

New Action Park seems like it was designed as a Saw-style murder trap from the get-go, instead of just because of negligence.

Well, they've got a reputation to live up to!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

How does action park exist? Is it on some weird patch of no-mans land that some how is classified as international waters?

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Jabor posted:

Honestly a straight vertical drop on a waterslide seems like an even worse idea than a loop.

yeah, no poo poo. that looks like it's at least 60 feet straight down

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Baronjutter posted:

How does action park exist? Is it on some weird patch of no-mans land that some how is classified as international waters?

It's not in Idaho...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-E4OqN9tJnw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

dudes were drilling holes for explosives when the hill decided it didn't need their help.

nobody died but they will probably be changing the way they do things.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

In August a water slide decapitated a boy.

Not just any kid, but the son of a Republican state politician who had voted against increased safety regulations for amusement parks.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It was god's will

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

VKing posted:

Looking at the place in google maps, I think you're right.

The Street View pictures are taken from the ground, I hope

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Nov 6, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Johnny Aztec posted:

......Where can I buy one of those? Got an Amazon link?

The website is http://xm42.com/

:argh: should have read the rest of the thread

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 6, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Baronjutter posted:

New Jersey, close enough. Classic Action Park was a combo of graft and kids, both employees and patrons, doing things they shouldn't and generally not reporting injuries to stay out of trouble personally. New Action Park is because ???

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I keep picturing someone who's too fat and/or he's that one idiot that always slows himself down on the water slide because it's the height of comedy and he gets stuck at the bottom before the loop, water pools at his head as he drowns in cramped quarters in total darkness.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

God Hole posted:

I keep picturing someone who's too fat and/or he's that one idiot that always slows himself down on the water slide because it's the height of comedy and he gets stuck at the bottom before the loop, water pools at his head as he drowns in cramped quarters in total darkness.

As far as I know nobody drowned in it, but they did have at least one instance where someone got stuck at the bottom of the loop. They added a hatch after this happened.

Everyone who actually rode it found the experience unpleasant to terrifying. According to accounts, the seams didn't necessarily match up perfectly so you got your back scraped up as you went down and around. One guy mentioned having just barely enough speed to get over the loop, causing him to fall from the top and hit his mouth on the edge as he came down; he may have lost a tooth in the foam.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Johnny Aztec posted:

Hey dipshit, maybe try reading. In both this thread, and in the links provided in this thread, it says that the road CANNOT be lowered as major pipelines run under the road there.

Dude, I'm sure you think you know how road construction works, but asphalt is typically placed on something. Someone who knows this fact can see from the street view that there is at least 2 inches of asphalt placed on the previous pavement without milling that previous pavement. Key point to look for for actual dipshits is that beneath the bridge at the inlets, the curb height is approximately 6 inches , which is a typical standard curb height while under the bridge, the successive layers of asphalt are probably around 2-inches from the top of curb. Think about that and do the math - if you are incapable, the difference is 4-inches. Any dipshit would know you don't lower the clearance below a bridge when resurfacing, especially when that clearance is low to begin with. This is civil engineering 101and is the reason why engineers have to get a degree and licensure to practice and yes, I have both.

Roadway modifications, both above-ground and underground are done as a matter of fact to make roadways safe. Roadway safety is needed not only for people that follow the rules but also for dipshits that don't. While you can't engineer for the rare eventuality, you can engineer for the common. It is pretty damned easy to see that in this case, this is a common problem and that Durham has a responsibility to fix it.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

FrozenVent posted:

Trains are federally regulated and because of the ridiculous amount of right of ways they needed to first implant themselves, they have a regulatory environment that is ridiculously favourable to the railways.

Long story short, if you build an overpass over a railway that isn't high enough for trains, that overpass is going to come down and you're going to pay for it coming down.

Also if a railroad bridge needs to be replaced, the railroad has to pay for it, and lol railroads ain't paying for poo poo they don't absolutely need.

There was an underpass in my old hometown that was losing chunks of concrete onto cars below. Eventually the bridge deteriorated to the point where NS had to put an empty flatcar in between the steel coil cars (about the heaviest load trains carry here) because two steel coil cars together might collapse the bridge. THEN the railroad replaced it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Neutrino posted:

Dude, I'm sure you think you know how road construction works, but asphalt is typically placed on something. Someone who knows this fact can see from the street view that there is at least 2 inches of asphalt placed on the previous pavement without milling that previous pavement. Key point to look for for actual dipshits is that beneath the bridge at the inlets, the curb height is approximately 6 inches , which is a typical standard curb height while under the bridge, the successive layers of asphalt are probably around 2-inches from the top of curb. Think about that and do the math - if you are incapable, the difference is 4-inches. Any dipshit would know you don't lower the clearance below a bridge when resurfacing, especially when that clearance is low to begin with. This is civil engineering 101and is the reason why engineers have to get a degree and licensure to practice and yes, I have both.

Roadway modifications, both above-ground and underground are done as a matter of fact to make roadways safe. Roadway safety is needed not only for people that follow the rules but also for dipshits that don't. While you can't engineer for the rare eventuality, you can engineer for the common. It is pretty damned easy to see that in this case, this is a common problem and that Durham has a responsibility to fix it.

Nah you're right, they totally didn't think of that over the last however many years

Give em a call, let them know you solved it :thumbsup:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

People are forgetting that the one train runs over the road but there is already an underground railroad running just beneath it also.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Decrepus posted:

People are forgetting that the one train runs over the road but there is already an underground railroad running just beneath it also.

Well, the slaves will just need to take another route :colbert:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Skarsnik posted:

Nah you're right, they totally didn't think of that over the last however many years

Give em a call, let them know you solved it :thumbsup:

Uhh he's an engineer. You better not be questioning him.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

Uhh he's an engineer. You better not be questioning him.

Is this a safe space for engineers? I mean god knows the poor buggers need one but

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

spog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpUbVgVsbyQ

Don;t forget your ears.

It's surprisingly easy to gently caress them up and there's very little that can be done to unfuck them

That guy talks like a dork just for his channel. The was one episode with his wife walking in and he switched to proper talking. He has good stuff but I can't support that guy.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Jerry Cotton posted:

Is this a safe space for engineers? I mean god knows the poor buggers need one but

There's no such thing.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
We like to call them safer spaces.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Well the safest place is one where engineers have never been involved.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I did it I solved the problem!

Move the sewer pipe so the road can be lowered. Sure it's expensive but any solution is going to be expensive.

Can we do the osha again now? People at my work are constantly freaking me out, they're really gung-ho when it comes to hands in and around spinning tools.

Highlights include:
The boss demonstrating that the little electric lathe we have doesn't have enough torque by stopping it with his hands

People constantly holding the workpiece down with their hands in our little cnc machine to reduce vibrations, their hands being about an inch away from the moving tool.

Nobody wearing safety glasses until I shame them, and/or "but regular glasses are good enough"

Nobody has been injured from this sort of thing YET.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue
Or you could raise the road so absolutely no truck would ever think of going under it, basically take the average height of a jacked up f-150 with mudders and make it two inches lower than that.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Splode posted:

Nobody has been injured from this sort of thing YET.

This means your boss is right about the lathe.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
One of my favourite things in the world is the 15 year old British boy who developed hand arm vibration syndrome, which was until then mostly a miner/driller injury, by playing too much Gran Turismo.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=117008&page=1

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Or you could raise the road so absolutely no truck would ever think of going under it, basically take the average height of a jacked up f-150 with mudders and make it two inches lower than that.

No matter how low you make the bridge, there will always be some vehicles of just the right height for the driver to go "yeah, I think I can make it" and get stuck. So all you've done now is shifted the damage from one type of truck to another. And while I support ripping off the roofs of jacked up F-150s with mudders, it's not good municipal policy.

Also you've pissed off any owners of <11'8" trucks who were already using the underpass without damage.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Sagebrush posted:

No matter how low you make the bridge, there will always be some vehicles of just the right height for the driver to go "yeah, I think I can make it" and get stuck. So all you've done now is shifted the damage from one type of truck to another. And while I support ripping off the roofs of jacked up F-150s with mudders, it's not good municipal policy.

Also you've pissed off any owners of <11'8" trucks who were already using the underpass without damage.

Thats why I got out of the bridge business, you gotta take somebody out and nobodys ever happy with who you go with

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

EVIL Gibson posted:

That guy talks like a dork just for his channel. The was one episode with his wife walking in and he switched to proper talking. He has good stuff but I can't support that guy.

WHOA. Next you'll be tellin' me Red Green doesn't actually hobble poo poo together with duct tape and baling twine!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Wasabi the J posted:

WHOA. Next you'll be tellin' me Red Green doesn't actually hobble poo poo together with duct tape and baling twine!

That's bullshit!

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Cosmic Charlie posted:

From this news story linked earlier:

This might be after some bodywork has been removed to assist in the rescue, I guess. Don't worry, no serious injuries. Anyway what I take away from this picture is that lowering the bridge means you just rip more off the top of vehicles that try to go under it.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

This kills the CAT.

Effective-Disorder
Nov 13, 2013

Loudspeaker adorned trucks are a paradoxical yet common nuisance in Japan. Great justice was done here.

Also that party's logo looks like someone giving/getting a reach-around.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Powershift posted:

dudes were drilling holes for explosives when the hill decided it didn't need their help.

nobody died but they will probably be changing the way they do things.

:allears:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Jabor posted:

Honestly a straight vertical drop on a waterslide seems like an even worse idea than a loop.
That Kansas politician did lose his son to that kind of slide recently. The bend at the bottom threw the kid up into the start of a pipe enclosure over the second half of the water slide which took the kid's head right off.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

That Kansas politician did lose his son to that kind of slide recently. The bend at the bottom threw the kid up into the start of a pipe enclosure over the second half of the water slide which took the kid's head right off.

You must be new to this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

He'll never be the head of a major corporation.

https://twitter.com/breezuslives/status/795492365624479744