Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acquilae
May 15, 2013

a cyberpunk goose posted:

lol lazrin picking medical software experience as his trump card is amazing, there isn't an industry besides Roberts Industries that is better at wasting millions of dollars on poorly specced features. also medical field software dev is so drastically and remarkably unlike gamedev, it's a perfect example of not understanding how experiences you've had in one area do not necessarily translate to even beginning to understand the demands of another

but hey medical software == computers, MMOFPS games == computers, ergo via the transitive property...
100% true. The healthcare industry is complete poo poo when it comes to anything financially related, which is why healthcare consulting is such a huge growth field right now. One look at the average hospital's financial statements and any finance major wound go "how are they still operating?"

But lmfao that it's always the shills who "are" these big-time managers.

Taxxe:

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I think this game might be a bit poo poo.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr Fronts posted:

By the way, I and my entire family are all German auditors. It's more common than you think.

I'm not a German auditor, but I do audit Germans.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I'm not a German auditor, but I do audit Germans.

But who germinates the audits?

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Lazrin posted:

"i'm not mad," he says, punching a hole in the wall. "you're the one that's mad," he continues, sweep-kicking a small child to the ground. "actually," he grunts, throwing his laptop at a nearby pedestrian, "i think it's pretty funny"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Man... imagine if Squadron 42 releases at the end of 2017.

5 years of production.

For a loving prelude episode with absolutely no real content

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Brown Sea burning.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Sorry, 6 years because of the prototyping.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I see my decision to skip 2,000 pages (every time I nearly caught up, something new dropped and oh look 200 more pages overnight) has landed me just in time to catch the newest shill desperately pedal for CiG like a shriner on one of those tiny unicycles. I'm okay with this.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Dante80 posted:

Brown Sea burning.

quote:

Oh, i forgot one: It's not like everything that comes out of their mouth is a promise.

I mean, if you're gonna base your decision to give money to someone on sales pitches, why don't you learn the difference between when they're promising something and when they're just joking? It's your own fault

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I enjoy the hell out of Wiz's posts. The informed and knowledgeable input from a legitimate game developer in this thread is refreshing and illuminating.

TheAgent is also awesome for continuing to post rumors about the inner turmoil at CIG.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

To borrow from @wint

"im not owned! im not owned!!", Lazrin continues to insist as he slowly shrinks and transforms into a corn cob

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Oh no, its the player controlling satellite!

B'tak, keep doing what you are doing...C:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D1E posted:

I enjoy the hell out of Wiz's posts. The informed and knowledgeable input from a legitimate game developer in this thread is refreshing and illuminating.

TheAgent is also awesome for continuing to post rumors about the inner turmoil at CIG.

I really didn't want to draw attention at the time to what Wiz did to Lazrin as I was winced every time I thought about it.

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
That dude has to be a troll. No one can be that much of a pussy and manage to turn the power on to their computer (they might get electrocuted by the people at the power company).

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

TheLightPurges posted:

That dude has to be a troll. No one can be that much of a pussy and manage to turn the power on to their computer (they might get electrocuted by the people at the power company).

Or be controlled by satellites.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Dante80 posted:

:ohdear:

B'tak is going to go on a shooting rampage if he thinks he's alone during a solo adventure and then gets randomly ganked by one of these player-controlled satellites isn't he?

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx
I'm like 99% sure you cannot legally deny the use of gift cards for purchases. Can a legal goon fill me in? I think with the "melted stuff" they can do whatever slimy thing they want but they lump melted in with gift cards and treat it the same on their site. You cant pick and choose what the customer can spend gift cards on.

Edit: I'm googling around and I can't find a precedent because no company appears to be stupid or arrogant enough to think they can get away with it by their customers regardless of the legality. Good thing CIG people aren't customers, they're a cult.
Only information that shows up is that giftcards can't expire and they may be worthless if the company goes bankrupt (RSI or CIG).

TheLightPurges fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 6, 2016

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

Lazrin posted:

it seems to be pretty much on schedule based on other, similarly scoped game projects in the industry wether they stay on schedule or nor, remains to be seen.

Lazrin, answer me this.

If I tell you I'm going to build a flying car and then proceed to build a chassis, seats, doors, lights and airbags.

How close am I to building that flying car?
How much progress towards my goal have I made?

Is the fact that I've built all the above any indication at all that I can do what I said I would?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Lol you think they have commit logs.

I think Chris would be the sort of person to demand comment notes on everything.
But not for when he does stuff naturally.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

I know lazrin is just doing some boring puppet master gimmick and just likes attention at this point, he knows CiG is doomed and so is SC, so does any regular here no matter what side of the fence they claim to be on

all the huge ultra red flags and cornered discussions they quietly don't respond to, and inevitable returns with selective semantic hair splitting. they know it's over

it's just so hard not to respond to raw ignorance, even if it's artificial :negative: lord smart forgive me

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Dante80 posted:

Brown Sea burning.

The Enlightenment is palpable

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

:a2m:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2016

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:iceburn:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 6, 2016

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

In the meantime, in a "very boring and arcade console peasant poo poo" game...

https://gfycat.com/CaringAfraidGibbon

P2P instancing sucks btw..

Dante80 fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 6, 2016

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

the game still isnt out...

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Dante80 posted:

I would think B'tak was a masterful troll if he hadn't made 7,600 posts to express the same fear.

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

a full year since i first posted in this thread, how many shitposters have come and gone since then still waiting for the dream of a persistent universe to be made real

TheLightPurges
Sep 24, 2016

by exmarx

Happy Sisyphus posted:

a full year since i first posted in this thread, how many shitposters have come and gone since then still waiting for the dream of a persistent universe to be made real

some idiot named assrapistdude420 kept leaking pics of his genitals.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dante80 posted:

Evocati Star Citizen lookin' good.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Lazrin posted:

it seems to be pretty much on schedule based on other, similarly scoped game projects in the industry wether they stay on schedule or nor, remains to be seen.

This is something I've heard plenty of times and it's completely wrong. Star Citizen does not have a scope, it has a budget. This premise was established when the game was first established through the stretch goal system.

"The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at at time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations, and cinematic sequences." - Cloud Imperium Games, November 2012

At the $19M point Chris explained CIG's plans for moving forward once the game was fully funded. This would establish the foundation that would guide CIG for years to come, and by all appearances continues to guide them.

"Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks to ensure we deliver the full functionality sooner rather than later." - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2013-09-17

Even now Star Citizen is in the "pre-launch" phase. As funding continued to expand CIG was forced to offer more and more features and content. For the most part these expansions seemed benign relative to the amount of funding coming in. New ships, new weapons, more information on systems, a space plant, but what wasn't fully explained was that the scope of the game was still expanding beyond these seemingly innocuous additions. This was revealed in June of 2014, around the time Arena Commander was finally being played by backers after a six month delay.

"The additional funding continues to expand the scope of the game and make what we’re doing possible… but it’s becoming more and more difficult to quantify that with more stretch goals (and to explain that to the rest of the world, which likes to focus only on how much money we’ve made.)" - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2014-06-14

In December the stretch goals stopped. Many backers assumed that when the stretch goals stopped that it also meant that the scope would also stabilize. To my knowledge CIG has never said that they would stop expanding scope; it was merely implied. At the $65M mark Roberts explained that instead of offering new features or rewards at milestones, they would instead explain features.

"Of course, $65 million isn’t the only milestone we need to discuss in this letter. Starting with $66 million, I want to start focusing everyone on the level of detail and immersion that everyone’s support is enabling. So instead of always having a feature or a reward I want to share a deeper view into an element of the design that has been enabled by your continuing support.

This doesn’t mean we won’t still occasionally reward backers with in-game content (flair, UEC, ship upgrades and more types to come!) or propose new ship types to celebrate major milestones but I would like the focus to be more about the amazing game that you are all enabling rather than the amounts we have raised. The real story is that with a community and the team sharing such a passion for making something special, with all of your continued support we have an opportunity to make history." - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2014-12-06

This dovetails perfectly with Robert's problem of quantifying scope through new stretch goals. Instead of promising more he would simply talk about what they were thinking. December of 2014 is notable because at this point the original scope and schedule of Star Citizen had the game being delivered by now. Instead CIG would release "Arena Commander 1.0". The other major elements, such as FPS or socialization, were still missing. This in spite of CIG still maintaining that the additional funding is there to expand the scope but still meet the schedule. Backers were largely comfortable with this because the original TOS gave CIG a twelve month grace period before refunds would be offered. It will take nearly another year for CIG to finally change this, and they did so in July of 2015. Around this time backers were complaining because both Star Marine and the social module were well behind schedule and CIG had failed to provide a reasonable explanation. After all the game was less than six months from release, right?

"You all know that already; you’ve lived that. You’ve seen Star Citizen evolve and start to come together. You’ve watched our atoms form molecules, our modules form a real, playable game (that you can boot up and play today!). There are people out there who are going to tell you that this is all a BAD THING. That it’s ‘feature creep’ and we should make a smaller, less impressive game for the sake of having it out more quickly or in order to meet artificial deadlines. Now I’ll answer those claims in one word: Bullshit!

Star Citizen matters BECAUSE it is big, because it is a bold dream. It is something everyone else is scared to try. You didn’t back Star Citizen because you want what you’ve seen before. You’re here and reading this because we are willing to go big, to do the things that terrify publishers. You’ve trusted us with your money so we can build a game, not line our pockets. And we sure as hell didn’t run this campaign so we could put that money in the bank, guarantee ourselves a profit and turn out some flimsy replica of a game I’ve made before. You went all in supporting us and we’ve gone all in making the game. Is Star Citizen today a bigger goal than I imagined in 2012? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not: it’s the whole drat point.

Will it take longer to deliver all this? Of course! When the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases. This is something we are acutely aware of. How do we balance the mutually conflicting wants of the community; to have this hugely ambitious game, but not wait forever for it?" - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2015-07-20

This represents a significant shift in attitude. Instead of funding being used to expand the game in the original schedule, it's now expanding both scope AND schedule. The expansion is, in the words of Chris Roberts, "the whole drat point." This is reinforced in the infamous letter that Chris Roberts sent to The Escapist.

"When reaching for the stars there are bound to be a few bumps and delays on the road. You’ve covered games for a long time. You know that games, especially big complicated ones always have hiccups and are frequently subject to unforeseen delays. We aren’t even at the three year mark of full development (we didn’t open up the first development office in Austin with 15 people until February 2013). Projects of half our scope frequently take four to five years." - Chris Roberts, Chairman's Response to The Escapist, 2015-10-4

Notably Roberts argues for leniency based on the pace of development, which stands in stark contrast to the original discussion about how CIG was moving forward that Roberts provided in an interview with The Mittani.

"We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale." - Chris Roberts, Exclusive Interview: Star Citizen's Chris Roberts, TheMittani.com, 2012-10-19

Star Citizen is not "pretty much on schedule". There are no "similarly scoped game projects". There is no schedule. There is no scope. And so long as Chris Roberts continues to see his efforts validated by more money there never will be.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
The Church of Scientology was formed in 1954 and hasn't produced a good pc game either. Makes you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqE89qKsYSg

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
BOOM

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is something I've heard plenty of times and it's completely wrong. Star Citizen does not have a scope, it has a budget. This premise was established when the game was first established through the stretch goal system.

"The purpose of the higher stretch goals is to ensure that the game-as-described is finished in the two year time period. We intend to build the game that Chris Roberts described at GDC Online regardless, but without additional funding we are going to have to do it one piece at at time, starting with Squadron 42, rather than as a single larger production. With more funding we can include more ships, systems, unique locations, animations, and cinematic sequences." - Cloud Imperium Games, November 2012

At the $19M point Chris explained CIG's plans for moving forward once the game was fully funded. This would establish the foundation that would guide CIG for years to come, and by all appearances continues to guide them.

"Finally there is one very important element – the more funds we can raise in the pre-launch phase, the more we can invest in additional content (more ships, characters etc.) and perhaps more importantly we can apply greater number of resources to the various tasks to ensure we deliver the full functionality sooner rather than later." - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2013-09-17

Even now Star Citizen is in the "pre-launch" phase. As funding continued to expand CIG was forced to offer more and more features and content. For the most part these expansions seemed benign relative to the amount of funding coming in. New ships, new weapons, more information on systems, a space plant, but what wasn't fully explained was that the scope of the game was still expanding beyond these seemingly innocuous additions. This was revealed in June of 2014, around the time Arena Commander was finally being played by backers after a six month delay.

"The additional funding continues to expand the scope of the game and make what we’re doing possible… but it’s becoming more and more difficult to quantify that with more stretch goals (and to explain that to the rest of the world, which likes to focus only on how much money we’ve made.)" - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2014-06-14

In December the stretch goals stopped. Many backers assumed that when the stretch goals stopped that it also meant that the scope would also stabilize. To my knowledge CIG has never said that they would stop expanding scope; it was merely implied. At the $65M mark Roberts explained that instead of offering new features or rewards at milestones, they would instead explain features.

"Of course, $65 million isn’t the only milestone we need to discuss in this letter. Starting with $66 million, I want to start focusing everyone on the level of detail and immersion that everyone’s support is enabling. So instead of always having a feature or a reward I want to share a deeper view into an element of the design that has been enabled by your continuing support.

This doesn’t mean we won’t still occasionally reward backers with in-game content (flair, UEC, ship upgrades and more types to come!) or propose new ship types to celebrate major milestones but I would like the focus to be more about the amazing game that you are all enabling rather than the amounts we have raised. The real story is that with a community and the team sharing such a passion for making something special, with all of your continued support we have an opportunity to make history." - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2014-12-06

This dovetails perfectly with Robert's problem of quantifying scope through new stretch goals. Instead of promising more he would simply talk about what they were thinking. December of 2014 is notable because at this point the original scope and schedule of Star Citizen had the game being delivered by now. Instead CIG would release "Arena Commander 1.0". The other major elements, such as FPS or socialization, were still missing. This in spite of CIG still maintaining that the additional funding is there to expand the scope but still meet the schedule. Backers were largely comfortable with this because the original TOS gave CIG a twelve month grace period before refunds would be offered. It will take nearly another year for CIG to finally change this, and they did so in July of 2015. Around this time backers were complaining because both Star Marine and the social module were well behind schedule and CIG had failed to provide a reasonable explanation. After all the game was less than six months from release, right?

"You all know that already; you’ve lived that. You’ve seen Star Citizen evolve and start to come together. You’ve watched our atoms form molecules, our modules form a real, playable game (that you can boot up and play today!). There are people out there who are going to tell you that this is all a BAD THING. That it’s ‘feature creep’ and we should make a smaller, less impressive game for the sake of having it out more quickly or in order to meet artificial deadlines. Now I’ll answer those claims in one word: Bullshit!

Star Citizen matters BECAUSE it is big, because it is a bold dream. It is something everyone else is scared to try. You didn’t back Star Citizen because you want what you’ve seen before. You’re here and reading this because we are willing to go big, to do the things that terrify publishers. You’ve trusted us with your money so we can build a game, not line our pockets. And we sure as hell didn’t run this campaign so we could put that money in the bank, guarantee ourselves a profit and turn out some flimsy replica of a game I’ve made before. You went all in supporting us and we’ve gone all in making the game. Is Star Citizen today a bigger goal than I imagined in 2012? Absolutely. Is that a bad thing? Absolutely not: it’s the whole drat point.

Will it take longer to deliver all this? Of course! When the scope changes, the amount of time it will take to deliver all the features naturally increases. This is something we are acutely aware of. How do we balance the mutually conflicting wants of the community; to have this hugely ambitious game, but not wait forever for it?" - Chris Roberts, Letter from the Chairman, 2015-07-20

This represents a significant shift in attitude. Instead of funding being used to expand the game in the original schedule, it's now expanding both scope AND schedule. The expansion is, in the words of Chris Roberts, "the whole drat point." This is reinforced in the infamous letter that Chris Roberts sent to The Escapist.

"When reaching for the stars there are bound to be a few bumps and delays on the road. You’ve covered games for a long time. You know that games, especially big complicated ones always have hiccups and are frequently subject to unforeseen delays. We aren’t even at the three year mark of full development (we didn’t open up the first development office in Austin with 15 people until February 2013). Projects of half our scope frequently take four to five years." - Chris Roberts, Chairman's Response to The Escapist, 2015-10-4

Notably Roberts argues for leniency based on the pace of development, which stands in stark contrast to the original discussion about how CIG was moving forward that Roberts provided in an interview with The Mittani.

"We’re already one year in - another two years puts us at 3 total which is ideal. Any more and things would begin to get stale." - Chris Roberts, Exclusive Interview: Star Citizen's Chris Roberts, TheMittani.com, 2012-10-19

Star Citizen is not "pretty much on schedule". There are no "similarly scoped game projects". There is no schedule. There is no scope. And so long as Chris Roberts continues to see his efforts validated by more money there never will be.

Lazrin: is it your fetish to be owned on the internet?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:same:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dante80 posted:

WTF, what's all that hideous bloom poo poo?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
Looks like someone smeared vaseline over my eyeballs.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

orcinus posted:

WTF, what's all that hideous bloom poo poo?

semen.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

:boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Whale semen?

• Locked thread