Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Kibner posted:

"Man, what I wouldn't give to win the draft lottery and get Anthony Davis!"

*monkey paw curls a finger*

I was so excited for Oden and then he just crumbled. This is like an inverse situation where the player lived up to the hype but his entire team died around him. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies
Contract the Pelicans.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ragle posted:

New Orleans is cursed as a basketball city, move the Pelicans to St. Louis or Las Vegas

Get out. NOLA owns and don't you forget it.

Kibner posted:

Pels are down to a single primary ball-handler. They have lost three, so far. Watch out, Tim Frazier, you are next!

We will get through this season together. Hopefully by the end, the Brow gets his #2 and the Mavs find a #1 for current best Dallas starter Harry Barnes. Does anyone know if Dak Prescott can dribble a basketball?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/795099676987060224

The Pels could be eligible for a hardship exception after their ninth game of the season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Spacebump posted:

Get out. NOLA owns and don't you forget it.

We will get through this season together. Hopefully by the end, the Brows gets his #2 and the Mavs find a #1 for current best starter Harry Barnes.

:h:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Like, that's only just barely more than 10% of the way through the season and they need a 16th roster spot because they can't possibly field 12 active players at a time.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
The Pelicans injury situation is one of the most insane things I can remember. The Bizarro Suns over there

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Jota posted:

The Pelicans injury situation is one of the most insane things I can remember. The Bizarro Suns over there

I just laugh at it now. Laugh until I cry.

Or was it cry until I laugh? Either way, there are tears and my tummy hurts.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Hey Jrue.. I know your wife just had brain surgery and a baby but could you maybe come back a little sooner...

At this point Lauren Holliday might have to moonlight as their PG.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kibner posted:

<insert name of Pelicans player here> went on the IR today.

Or was it yesterday.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kibner posted:

Luckily Bourbon Street is nearby to deaden the hurt.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

At this point Lauren Holliday might have to moonlight as their PG.

Recovering from a brain tumor and childbirth puts her just above the roster's median health I guess.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I appreciate that losing Lance Stephenson is considered a hardship

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
That baby got a crossover yet?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
We all know the truth
Bring Pierre back and this'll all stop
You didn't think You could just "kill" him and he'd stay buried did you? His soul burns you will never be rid of him

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Shear Modulus posted:

Luckily Bourbon Street is nearby to deaden the hurt.
I live like 90 minutes from there. :(

straight up brolic posted:

We are down to only Tim Frazier as a lead ball-handler.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We all know the truth
You didn't think You could just "kill" him and he'd stay buried did you? His soul burns you will never be rid of him

I want this so bad.

mrpurplecat
Mar 20, 2003
Anyone disagree with Giannis as a top ten player by end of the year?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

mrpurplecat posted:

Lebron, Curry, Durant, CP3, Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, Davis.

After that you can probably argue him with dudes like Derozan, Griffin, Cousins, George and others I'm obviously forgetting to see who sneaks into those last couple of spots.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 6, 2016

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Somebody in New Orleans already stepped in front of a mirror and said "Pierre" five times. He's definitely back.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Nov 6, 2016

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Thanks for being a cool and drama free forum guys. This thread is the platonic ideal of a forum

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Kibner posted:

I live like 90 minutes from there. :(

We are down to only Tim Frazier as a lead ball-handler.

I want this so bad.
Steve Blake and Will the Thrill Bynum are currently free agents

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

mrpurplecat posted:

Maybe if CP3 falls out of the top ten or someone has an injury.

The following are not in order, just the players that I think are currently the ten best: Lebron, Curry, Durant, George, Harden, Westbrook, Leonard, CP3, Davis, and Griffin. To be fair, I've only seen Giannis' stats this season. They look great so far.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

I just looked at Giannis stats for the first time :eyepop:

https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/795085596293210113

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I watched the Embiid highlights from tonights game and holy moley he's so loving good

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

Were there two months of Xavier Munford, Lance, and Jamychal Green winning half of their NBA games last year in Memphis, was that a beautiful dream?? Then they fired the coach that made it happen. Pelicans need a Dave Joerger esque performance from Alvin Gentry

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Spacebump posted:

With the state of the Mavs :negative: being what it is, I need to adopt a team (preferably eastern conference.) Normally, I would revert to my #2 team but the Pelicans are also having a difficult season. Somebody sell me on their team with playoff hopes.
The Lakers, where playoff hopes are actually just hopes, so the end of the season will be fun if they're actually in contention for a spot. And they're fun to watch:

http://youtu.be/b7mlAJkxNV0
http://youtu.be/KIV2HGmkiDU
http://youtu.be/-ujO1rO9Uhw
http://youtu.be/YbKZB0aHj58

mrpurplecat posted:

Who's your other nine? Easier thing to say might be "superstar" or franchise player.

japtor fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 6, 2016

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

japtor posted:

The Lakers, where playoff hopes are actually just hopes, so the end of the season will be fun if they're actually in contention for a spot. And they're fun to watch:

http://youtu.be/b7mlAJkxNV0
http://youtu.be/KIV2HGmkiDU
http://youtu.be/-ujO1rO9Uhw
http://youtu.be/YbKZB0aHj58

We're getting good again :shobon:

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We all know the truth

You can't kill him, he'll just come back stronger and with more followers.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

chunkles posted:

Apparently according to Calvin Watkins Donatas is looking into playing overseas. I guess he really wants some cashish because according to Stein's article if he does that he remains an RFA.

Maybe he hates loving Oklahoma. Sorry Metapod but it sucks there.

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, Carroll is totally shot, he cannot move laterally and his shoot looks terrible.

He was never very good. He had one good contract year season and a couple of extremely ok I guess years just before that. Coach Bud pulled a Spurs Supporting Actor Maneuver on the Raptors.

Dejan Bimble posted:

The warriors need actual rim protection, not just weakside shot blocking and fumbled lobs
That's why they need to sign the narcissist, Larry Sanders

0% chance that team gets him to be LARRY SANDERS instead of larry...sanders...if you know what I mean.

Libertine posted:

Questions I don't actually know the answers to:

Is Durant better or worse on defense than Barnes?

Same question Zaza v Bogut?

Or is it a wash and the defensive poo poo is the fault of the other three?

Or were the Warriors always pretty bad at defense and just made up for it with much better and more efficient scoring?

It seems like everything about their team looks worse so far which isn't explained by Durant who has played better than anyone.

Durant is a better one on one perimeter defender because of his length but he's worse at sticking to a role and doing what he's supposed to do.

Bogut is dramatically better in every way including their shared specialty, not being called for flagrant fouls. However, Zaza doesn't die if asked to play over 20 minutes a game.

It's not the parts, but the whole. Also, don't forget they lost Ezeli, who is a valuable piece on the same terms as Bogut (do not ask them to play starters' minutes), and replaced him with West, who is a garbage defensive player.

They were good and they'll be fine, but this defense is going to be embarrassed in the playoffs just like they were without Bogut last year.

MourningView posted:

They really are super loving fun.

D'Antoni rules and I'm not just saying that because he's from West Virginia and I'm obligated to do so.

Paulocaust posted:

Is this the best white guy dunk ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDyBSTQDwH8 No

Fast Luck posted:

I feel like Hakeem Olajuwon is a good comp for Embiid.

He's much bigger and stronger than Hakeem ever was. I think Hakeem was the best center ever adjusting for size, but Shaq/Kareem/Wilt were so much bigger that it doesn't matter. 7'2" Hakeem would make a joke of the league, it's much too soon to say that's Embiid.

Kibner posted:

I'm so sorry baby. I can't say it will get better but eventually you won't care any more :(

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Eh we will have Norman who was doing great on Dragic.

Just needs more playing time.

Also, yea Brazilian KD, forgot about him.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

DeimosRising posted:

Maybe he hates loving Oklahoma. Sorry Metapod but it sucks there.

It's Donatas, not Domantas. Donatas is only Arvydas's son in that he inherited the hook shot. (Does Domantas do hook shots like his dad? He must right?)

3peat
May 6, 2010

:getin:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Holy poo poo he's doing that in 34 minutes? I'm assuming the rest of the bucks are a tire fire?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

triple sulk posted:

I watched the Embiid highlights from tonights game and holy moley he's so loving good

Even lebron was staying away from him. It was impressive

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Giannis is the next Lebron.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
NEW ORLEANS -- The nameplate above Terrence Jones’ locker at the Smoothie King Center has been incorrect since the season began. Jones spells his first name with three E's, yet his locker boasts a rogue A for a spelling of “Terrance Jones.” Jones’ jersey number on the display is off too. He wears No. 9 in New Orleans, but his locker claims No. 6, the one he wore with the Houston Rockets.

“It’s crazy, man,” Jones recently admitted.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Embiid and Rodriguez are very fun to watch. The rest of the roster, sadly, not so much. Also, Ilyasova is like Jeff Green insofar that fans are usually excited when their team gets him, but after a couple of weeks/months they realize that the dude is just blah.

edit:

https://twitter.com/ZachLowe_NBA/status/795248888324247553

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 6, 2016

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

tarbrush posted:

Holy poo poo he's doing that in 34 minutes? I'm assuming the rest of the bucks are a tire fire?

The rest of the team is blah or each player has warts but Point Giannis really is LeBron and does it all. Not having Middleton really sucks but it has really forced Giannis to carry the team in a good way.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Hand Row posted:

The rest of the team is blah or each player has warts but Point Giannis really is LeBron and does it all. Not having Middleton really sucks but it has really forced Giannis to carry the team in a good way.

I knew there was someone missing from that list.

Parker seems like he's taking the necessary step up. Is his d still bad?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think Mike D'antoni is a fine coach as long as you give him a lineup that vaguely resembles the 04-06 Phoenix Suns. Slap a Joe Johnson jersey on Harden and let Pringles cook

triple sulk posted:

Would not be shocked if the Sixers ended up beating the Warriors on the back of Embiid

Pippen status

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

tarbrush posted:

I knew there was someone missing from that list.

Parker seems like he's taking the necessary step up. Is his d still bad?

Yeah. He can be fine on ball but his positioning can be terrible. Like standing in the middle between his man at the 3 point line and the man driving so you end up not guarding/helping either. Most of it seems to be mental rather than physical limitations so he should improve immensely. Still only 21.

• Locked thread