Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I think one of my first episodes was actually Phase IV from the KTMA era. I know it was a KTMA episode for sure and I didn't know at all what to think of it.

I was lucky enough to live in Canada near the Minnesota border. We got KTMA thanks to our antenna tower and they still had it in reruns. Then we got C-SPAN and Comedy Channel and, well, that was that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

bunnyofdoom posted:

despite what is said otherwise, I find the movie is a great way to ease people into mst3k

I definitely agree. Despite the fact that I'd love to see the uncut version, the studio meddling probably did make it a bit more accessible for new viewers. Not that there was any chance of new viewers actually seeing it with the release it was given, but that's a whole different story.

As for my own MST origins, I was vaguely familiar with its premise just from seeing it all the time while channel surfing. Then at some point in 1996, my brother actually started watching it, and I followed suit. The only specific thing I remember seeing from this time were the host segments from The Incredible Melting Man. We loved it, but within weeks it disappeared since (unbeknownst to us) Comedy Central had canceled it. Over the next couple months we started buying the Rhino VHS releases, so watching The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Mitchell, Pod People, and Cave Dwellers over and over and over again is how I really fell in love with the show. Thankfully, our cable company added the Sci-Fi Channel a few months into season eight.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm pretty sure of my trajectory- I was first aware of it through an article in either Entertainment Weekly or TV Guide (not 100% on which, but I think it was the former) which seemed like a really fun concept. We only had basic channels then, though, and I wasn't anywhere close to Minnesota, so it wasn't until I got an airing of the Movie that I saw it for the first time on... probably Showtime?, but it was a signal bleed kind of thing where we didn't actually have the channel and the screen was mostly static but I could hear the audio fine. Then I found a copy of Cave Dwellers on VHS that Blockbuster was selling, and that was my first definite episode. I got the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, too, and read it cover to cover even before I had seen pretty much any of what was described. That primed me for the Sci-Fi Channel seasons (a channel we had by then) and I recorded them all; still have Cool World because I had the auto-record too early before Revenge of the Creature. Wasn't until college that I was able to catch up on the earlier seasons.

Actually making my way through the series again now with some friends who haven't seen it (or at least all of it) - everybody loves the Popcorn sketch.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice
Some point in season 3 I started watching it and my father was so aghast at the concept of interrupting a movie with jokes that it made my 10-11 year old self love it even more. My younger sister and I would watch it incessantly.

On at least 2-3 Thanksgivings the best part of the day was running back to my room to watch the marathon after dinner was done.

Sort of lost touch with MST3K when they went to SCI-Fi but were able to catch up with :filez: until the DVD started coming out.

My signed MST3K reunion show script is probably the only piece of film/tv memorabilia I have and it's crazy to think these guys/girls have entertaining me for 20+ years.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I'm from Ireland and MST3K only reached here for 1 season on satellite TV which was a rare luxury at the time.
I didn't see it on there, but I loved reading about it in Starburst and other magazines.
I distinctly remember seeing a pic of Joel and the robots and being a scifi geek NEEDED to see this.
Then when :filez: were possible watched Horror at Party Beach and never looked back.

If only the DVD sets had a Region 2 option.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

A bunch of people have mentioned that MST3K: The Movie was their first intro to the show. It kind of amazes me that it found that much life on video. It ran in barely any theaters at all (apparently the studio was actively trying to bury it). We had to drive 30 miles to a theater because that was the only place that was showing it.

Was anyone else nerdy enough in 1995 (or 96 or whenever it was) to actually go chase it down in a theater?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Powered Descent posted:

A bunch of people have mentioned that MST3K: The Movie was their first intro to the show. It kind of amazes me that it found that much life on video. It ran in barely any theaters at all (apparently the studio was actively trying to bury it). We had to drive 30 miles to a theater because that was the only place that was showing it.

Was anyone else nerdy enough in 1995 (or 96 or whenever it was) to actually go chase it down in a theater?

I drove 225 miles (Savannah to Atlanta) to see it. There were probably 20 people in the audience.

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Powered Descent posted:

I saw it on TV, but not until 2002/3 or so.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

I think it's because when you're trying to get your friends into it, it's one of the easiest to start with. This Island Earth is a little more tolerable than some of what they watch, the riffs are spot-on, and the host segments have most of the goofy charm of the TV show without the underproduced awkwardness of it.

I was about to say it has the show's most quotable line, but that honor definitely goes to the doppling Fingle episode, because "Whoa, huge slam on anteaters out of nowhere!" gets a lot of mileage if you replace just one of the words.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Powered Descent posted:

I did, with my brother and a friend. We only realized after the movie was over that we should have taken the first three seats in the front row.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I saw the movie at the one theater it was playing at in my town. I enjoyed it tremendously.

My first memories of watching the show was going to my relative's house for Thanksgiving and seeing Pod People during a Turkey Day marathon because we didn't have cable. I'm sure I saw it before when we went over to other people's house but I can't remember any specifics.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I saw the movie in the theater, but I was already a fan at that time.

I think the first episode I saw was one of the Gamera or Godzilla films ("WE HAVE SPIRIT YES WE DO"), and then I caught a bit of it during the Turkey Day marathons for a couple of years after that when we went to visit my Grandparents (no cable growing up), and finally dove in when I had access to the network and nightly episodes in 1993.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I'm not sure it's Thanksgiving unless I sing the Turkey Day version of "We Gather Together."

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'd have an ear that would cover me like a shroud! And a thumb the size of a juggling pin! But not on my hand...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I got into MST3K because of the Godzilla reviews, though I never got to see those until much later. I had read and heard about them, and being a huge Godzilla fan it got me to look into the show as it was airing on SciFi.

I also got into MST3K style riffing on terrible fanfiction back in the day, when I had naught but dial up and those were easy to find and pass the time with.

So many lovely anime fanfiction, so many

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Burkion posted:

I got into MST3K because of the Godzilla reviews, though I never got to see those until much later. I had read and heard about them, and being a huge Godzilla fan it got me to look into the show as it was airing on SciFi.

I also got into MST3K style riffing on terrible fanfiction back in the day, when I had naught but dial up and those were easy to find and pass the time with.

So many lovely anime fanfiction, so many

I remember one of these for a really bad piece of interactive fiction, Detective. I never liked MSTs, though—nobody ever got the voices right, and why couldn't they just make fun of something without copying the show? But that's just fanfiction in general, I guess—those who can, don't.

My mom got really into MST3K when it aired on Comedy Central, and I used to stay up late and watch it with her starting sometime in 1993. The first episodes I saw were season 2-3 reruns, and Rocketship-XM was definitely my first. I know I watched Mitchell and The Brain That Wouldn't Die when they first aired, because I remember the Joel/Mike switch clearly, but neither of the movies made any impression on me. Most MST3K movies didn't until I was older. I continued to casually/occasionally watch until it was just reruns on Sci-Fi, and finally became a real MSTie after I discovered BitTorrent in 2004.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I was hooked by the ads- I was (and am) into retro sci fi movies and that was what interested me. However on my family's cable provider, Comedy Central shared a number with QVC- they'd each have twelve hours a day and however it was arranged, the switchover to CC was after MST. Eventually the schedule was such that I could catch halves of episodes, I forget what the first of those was. Finally one day Comedy Central had the network number to itself. First full episode was almost certainly Gamera vs Guiron.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I had heard about it from various internet sources, but of all episodes I randomly picked Space Mutiny to start. It was a good choice for a first episode.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

My first memory of the show was the Chalkman invention exchange, which was in episode 102, The Robot vs. the Aztec Mummy. I'm pretty sure it would have been reruns in late 1990, since that was when I was the only person in our house who could figure out how to use our gigantic satellite dish to get the weird channels no one else had.

I'd later drive over 100 miles to Atlanta to watch the movie with strangers, and even later fly to Minneapolis to attend the Conventio-Con Expo-Fest-a-Rama 2: Electric Bugaloo, where I met up with a bunch of crazy people from AOL.

It's so weird to think of those first few seasons existing pre-internet, and how great it was to connect with other people who liked the show online when so few of my friends did.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
In the U.K. I remember skipping over it when it was on the Sci-fi channel but I really got into it when I found a big box ex-rental copy of the movie on VHS.

I still have it to this day.....

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Powered Descent posted:

My sister, my friend, and I all saw the movie on opening day, and it wasn't too hard to find, because my city had a couple of "art house" theaters that showed nothing but independent stuff, and MST3K: The Movie was one of them.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Diabolik900 posted:

As for my own MST origins, I was vaguely familiar with its premise just from seeing it all the time while channel surfing. Then at some point in 1996, my brother actually started watching it, and I followed suit. The only specific thing I remember seeing from this time were the host segments from The Incredible Melting Man. We loved it, but within weeks it disappeared since (unbeknownst to us) Comedy Central had canceled it. Over the next couple months we started buying the Rhino VHS releases, so watching The Brain that Wouldn't Die, Mitchell, Pod People, and Cave Dwellers over and over and over again is how I really fell in love with the show. Thankfully, our cable company added the Sci-Fi Channel a few months into season eight.

I can confirm this account (I'm Diabolik900's brother), but for my part, the first episode I really watched was either the Day the Earth Froze or the Human Duplicators.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TL posted:

I can confirm this account (I'm Diabolik900's brother), but for my part, the first episode I really watched was either the Day the Earth Froze or the Human Duplicators.

It's cool that you guys have matching avatars. :shobon:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Bicyclops posted:

We're nerds. It's cool.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I wasn't being ironic. I think it's great when brothers can stay in touch and keep a few of the same hobbies. Me and my two brothers get together once in awhile and rent a terrible movie and riff on it together, and it kind of makes the years fall away. MST3K was such a lovable, dorky show. I'm really glad it's coming back.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TL posted:

Yeah, now that you mention it, I do remember watching The Day the Earth Froze on Comedy Central, so that might have been my first.

Bicyclops posted:

I bought him that avatar.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Man, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies really never lives up to the insanity of its title.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
If he wasn't confused by the beach, he wouldn't be Jerry.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Hmmmm...So, Baron Vaughn voices Servo now. He's in Grace and Frankie. Co-starring is June Diane Raphael.

So, what I am saying is I drat well want an MST3K, How did this get made crossover dammit.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bunnyofdoom posted:

Hmmmm...So, Baron Vaughn voices Servo now. He's in Grace and Frankie. Co-starring is June Diane Raphael.

So, what I am saying is I drat well want an MST3K, How did this get made crossover dammit.

It'd make sense since a lot of people do the show to promote their latest project.

I always wanted Kevin or Bill to do a HDTGM.

CommaToes
Dec 15, 2006

Ecce Buffo
The first episode I remember really getting into it was The Killer Shrews.

That was a great ep.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

CommaToes posted:

The first episode I remember really getting into it was The Killer Shrews.

That was a great ep.

Has anyone dared to make a Killer Shrew drink? I figured you get diabetes and die if you drank one.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Man, The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies really never lives up to the insanity of its title.

I dunno, my Schick was clearly Out of Shape after that ep...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Come hear Libby Quinn play the organ with her feet :geno:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Did you remember to GETYOURTCIKETSHERE!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's not strictly MST, but the most recent Rifftrax B-movie release is worth checking out because it's absolutely a movie that could/should've been on the show: Honor & Glory, directed by Godfrey Ho and starring the queen of C-list DTV action: Cynthia Rothrock.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm sure it's funny, but riffing almost seems like the exact wrong way to go about having fun with a Godfrey Ho film. Would much rather watch a RLM-style panel discussion interspersed with clips or even just a supercut of the weirdest moments.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Had a dream last night that since the world was so goddamned depressed following the election, Joel released the first new episode early to cheer everyone up.

It felt good. :)

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Had a dream last night that since the world was so goddamned depressed following the election, Joel released the first new episode early to cheer everyone up.

It felt good. :)

I really like this.

MST3k is the only thing I can really watch right now. My lizard brain has resorted to only enjoying comfort entertainment.

Last night's episode of Werewolf was exactly what I needed. It was my girlfriend's first time seeing the episode, and it's the most she's laughed at the show yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyP
Nov 7, 2011
The movie was my first real experience with MST3K as well. I had been aware of the show, seen parts of episodes here and there, but I didn't really sit down to watch it until I found a VHS copy of the movie at Goodwill. The first actual episode I watched was either Manos or I Accuse My Parents.