Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Cingulate posted:

Maybe I'm not getting your joke, but how does "she was happy" sound hateful to you?

That one fits under deplorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

It's weird since my mom is from an uneducated working class Dearborn Michigan background and so while she's not hateful in her bigotry like a Deplorable would be, it's still an unthinking casual racism she got from her dad growing up.

Like when I was planning on going to Taiwan, she was happy for me that I might date a Chinese girl so she might have a 'chink' baby someday or I should try to dress as cool as one of my black coworkers. :psyduck: It pivots randomly from positivity to fearful racism I guess?

no one cares about the details of your family or the minutiae of your stupid loving life

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway looking forward to clinton winning but actually losing because five white guys in washington decided to take a stand for bernie sanders, even though bernie sanders wants clinton to win

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

Cyron posted:

question, why is it bad to have any sort of relation to Russia? i mean i don't trust trump and he want to work for russia for his hotel, but why can't Hillary talk to pudin and work together on some trade or poo poo.

Because unfortunately Russia has no interest in working with us. Obama has consistently tried to improve US/Russia relations throughout his time in office, and Putin has consistently refused because he's a kleptocrat who views the world as a zero sum game where him winning means everyone one else losing.

There's basically no hope of a President Clinton improving things with Russia, and it's not because she's some sort of deranged cold warrior pinning for the good old days of impending nuclear Armageddon.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Also lmao at Bernout electors doing the exact thing Bernie wanted people to not do.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

terrorist ambulance posted:

no one cares about the details of your family or the minutiae of your stupid loving life

This added a lot by comparison, thanks for that.

Say, have you done GOTV work today? I have another post earlier about the minutiae of my stupid life working to help get Hillary elected that might help you. :)

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
Pastrymancy, you might say. Hillary is doing more press conferences and availability now. How can the mostly white national press corps spin this?

https://twitter.com/blakehounshell/status/795069107011985408

Pastrymancy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Nov 6, 2016

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Cingulate posted:

I know it really looks like this in Germany and the UK - on a state/county level, a strong negative correlation between share of non-Whites and vote for anti-immigrant parties (UKIP and AfD) - but I'm not sure it has to be the same for the US.

I'm not sure it holds for Europe on a nation level.

For the UK (at least in the EU referendum) the correlation was actually that an area was more likely to swing Brexit if they had recently had an increase in the immigrant population rather than there being any correlation between # of immigrants and # of Brexit votes, which suggests more of a fear of disruption rather than a fear of immigrants per say.

I'm not sure how it'd map to us immigration politics though

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

This added a lot by comparison, thanks for that.

Say, have you done GOTV work today? I have another post earlier about the minutiae of my stupid life working to help get Hillary elected that might help you. :)

no sorry two morons with amine avatars jerking off each other's mouths about how racist their families are at Thanksgiving will never be interesting or worthwhile no matter how many voters you claim to register or whatever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

no sorry two morons with amine avatars jerking off each other's mouths about how racist their families are at Thanksgiving will never be interesting or worthwhile no matter how many voters you claim to register or whatever

Alright, so let's talk about canvassing then. Have you tried it, friend?

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I know she's corrected herself but mispronouncing Beyonce's name is the most hilarious thing to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you're right i shouldn't have gotten on this track

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

For the UK (at least in the EU referendum) the correlation was actually that an area was more likely to swing Brexit if they had recently had an increase in the immigrant population rather than there being any correlation between # of immigrants and # of Brexit votes, which suggests more of a fear of disruption rather than a fear of immigrants per say.

I'm not sure how it'd map to us immigration politics though
I was thinking of something like this:

In Germany, it's a very strong divide between high numbers of immigrants in the west and high numbers of AfD voters in the east.

However, I think in both cases, and also for your statistic, it is confounded by the rural/urban divide and related factors.

Interestingly, this one works just as well as with Trump:

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Queering Wheel posted:

I'm pretty happy with this possible map, which I call the Half Satan.

e: and here's the Alternate Half Satan, maybe more realistic. Gives Clinton NC instead of GA, and a Nebraska electoral vote.

Illinois is not going red. :psyduck:

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

The GIG posted:

Also lmao at Bernout electors doing the exact thing Bernie wanted people to not do.

It's aggravating, but in the grand scheme of things I doubt it'll amount to much. A call from Bernie to get them to drop the tantrum should be all that is needed to get things up to snuff.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The GIG posted:

I'm honestly still furious about this even though I read about it yesterday and have had plenty of time to calm down.

For anyone who followed pre-2008 elections more closely than I did: how often does this kind of thing happen? Is this something that actually happens once every few elections, but it's news this time because of Clinton hate? When the penalties for being a faithless elector in most states are as low as they are ($1000 fine in Washington, I think?), I can't imagine it's that rare.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CascadeBeta posted:

Those were just ways for them to get 333 haha :)

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
You get a faithless elector doing something dumb every couple of election cycles. Hasn't ever really mattered, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Harrow posted:

I'm honestly still furious about this even though I read about it yesterday and have had plenty of time to calm down.

For anyone who followed pre-2008 elections more closely than I did: how often does this kind of thing happen? Is this something that actually happens once every few elections, but it's news this time because of Clinton hate? When the penalties for being a faithless elector in most states are as low as they are ($1000 fine in Washington, I think?), I can't imagine it's that rare.

It happens every once in a while. John Edwards technically got an electoral vote for President in 2004. Gore lost an electoral vote in DC because an elector wanted to protest DC statehood.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Harrow posted:

There have been a few but most of those were due to mistakes. One from 2000 was a d.c. elector's protest against dc's lack of full representation.

The last really notable faithless elector is a man in 1976 who cast his vote for reagan rather than gerald ford.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HannibalBarca posted:

You get a faithless elector doing something dumb every couple of election cycles. Hasn't ever really mattered, though.

And it won't matter this time either when Hillary gets 320+ EVs.

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!
2004's faithless elector voted for "John Ewards" rather than kerry, presumably by accident.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

gently caress, I dunno how I missed that. brb working on new Satan maps

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Last WSJ/NBC poll out has 44-40 Hillary, down from a 11 points lead in mid-october (i.e. during peak access tape time).

Trump campaign keeps alternatively claiming that there was an assassination attempt yesterday or that it was a paid Dem agitator. It culminates in this:

https://twitter.com/oliverdarcy/status/795269793444220928

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Sephyr posted:

It's aggravating, but in the grand scheme of things I doubt it'll amount to much. A call from Bernie to get them to drop the tantrum should be all that is needed to get things up to snuff.

Honestly to me it's funny that we're this deep in the election and there are still bernouts doing more than tweeting about how they'll vote Hillary BUT I WONT LIKE IT NO SIRRIE. At that point I doubt bernie himself can turn down that level of idiocy.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, this was never intentional, but it does give me a weird sense of satisfaction at how some people get so irrationally angry on here over people having anime avatars.

For the record, it was a gift from another user due to a funny inside joke that was started by me on accident after misremembering a major protagonist's name in the JoJo thread over at ADTRW. It's also a reference to the Duwang meme about the piss-poor and bizarre translation from Japanese to Chinese to English for Part 4: Diamonds Are Unbreakable.

Yeah, anime is some weird poo poo, so what? We're all goons on here talking about dumb things we obsess about in the tiki bar party that is SomethingAwful. I don't care about anime in general, I just like to talk about a few shows I happen to like where it's appropriate. Other people keep using it as an ad hominem for debates, though, so for whatever reason it keeps coming up. :iiam:

So can we put that bedbug to rest now and move on with talking about the election?

e: Also, lol nice meltdown

e2: That last part is rhetorical, not an actual question.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Pastrymancy posted:

Pastrymancy, you might say. Hillary is doing more press conferences and availability now. How can the mostly white national press corps spin this?

Same way they're letting the Trump campaign get away with claiming an assassination attempt was made by a registered Republican protester who didn't have a gun or a murderous thought in his head; meanwhile, Angry Black Man in Chief was caught on tape shouting slurs and invective at a war veteran at his own rally.

Or the same way they're letting Trump off scott free for not doing any press availability after hounding Clinton about it for months.

Wait, you did mean the mainstream press when you said white nationalist press? Because it's hard to tell the difference at this point. After all, even if Trump were to be elected, everything would be fine (as long as you're white).

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Nationals Today

ABC Tracker: Clinton +5
WaPo: Clinton +4

States Today

New Mexico: Clinton +5 (Johnson has 11 and is taking more from Clinton)
Iowa (DMR / Seltzer): Trump +7
Iowa (Loras): Clinton +1
Washington (SurveyUSA) : Clinton +12

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The Democratic plant talking point is lifted completely from alt right blogs. They've done that face blindness thing again and have posted a whole lot of pictures of people who don't look anything like the guy claiming it's him at Dem events, and even found one of "him" posing with Hillary. Good to see the Trump campaign fanning the flames on this one, that will certainly help matters.

I think you can't get a more striking comparison than between the way that Obama reacted to a protestor and the way that Trump and his base did.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
In other news, more election fraud discovered, this time in Illinois. Those Democrats are rigging the election...

https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/794923858751029248

Oh...

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Solvency posted:

In other news, more election fraud discovered, this time in Illinois. Those Democrats are rigging the election...

https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/794923858751029248

Oh...

Woman, you could practice polygamy and have a thousand dead husbands to vote for, Trump isn't winning loving Illinois.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Supremezero posted:

Woman, you could practice polygamy and have a thousand dead husbands to vote for, Trump isn't winning loving Illinois.

The polls are wrong/SILENT MAJORITY narrative likely has her convinced Trump will take Illinois along with a number of other states he has no shot in.

pubic void nullo
May 17, 2002

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Because unfortunately Russia has no interest in working with us. Obama has consistently tried to improve US/Russia relations throughout his time in office, and Putin has consistently refused because he's a kleptocrat who views the world as a zero sum game where him winning means everyone one else losing.

There's basically no hope of a President Clinton improving things with Russia, and it's not because she's some sort of deranged cold warrior pinning for the good old days of impending nuclear Armageddon.

Sanctions, too. Russia wants Trump because sanctions over Crimea are working (and oil prices are low). The only reason Russia is not Thunderdoming right now is that they have been burning reserves at a fantastic rate.

And that's just to Dec 2015. For an update on that chart, the fund currently stands at around 30 bil. The Russian finance ministry estimates that the Reserve Fund will be gone in 2017 at the current burn rate (a Russian academic estimate says end of 2016). They plan to start dipping into the welfare (pension) fund in 2017.

A Clinton presidency means something like Obama's foreign policy and continued sanctions. A Trump presidency means the likely dropping of sanctions. They're bad for business, after all!

Sources: https://themoscowtimes.com/news/russia-spends-18-of-its-reserve-fund-in-august-55223
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-01-13/russia-s-59-billion-budget-cushion-may-not-last-the-year-chart
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/follow-the-money-to-see-why-putin-is-rooting-for-a-trump-victory/article32690746/

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Supremezero posted:

Eh, I get it. Respecting your husband's last wish.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

"I was just so distraught when this came and I just voted because I knew he wanted to live so badly to see Trump straighten out this stinking mess," she said tearfully.

trump will bring my husband back to life

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
She was married to someone whose last wish was to vote for Trump, joke's on her irrespective of the criminal charges

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
According to the article the woman is 88 and will be removed as an election judge. I'm okay with this one being a slap on the wrist situation otherwise.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Tell us how you really feel. :smith:

My neighbors are going off about the Trump 'assassination' "attempt". It's all I e heard talked about - I want more news about Hil's EVs.

E: actually, this might be the third attempt on Trump this year.

Armani fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 6, 2016

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

hcreight posted:

According to the article the woman is 88 and will be removed as an election judge. I'm okay with this one being a slap on the wrist situation otherwise.

ha Yeah. An election judge willfully disobeying the law and committing election fraud and openly admitting to it. I had a good chuckle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cingulate posted:

Do Trump supporters actually believe he has a secret plan to defeat ISIS, instead of just claiming that so he has time to wing it eventually?

In another thread someone said that judging from what Trump has said about it, he does have a secret plan. That plan is to annihilate ISIS controlled territories and everyone in them.

• Locked thread