Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Still better than Alito.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Scalia was better than Alito

Alito is literally the worst justice since Taney

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Just like how conservative Rehnquist and liberal O’Connor were replaced by conservative Roberts and liberal Alito.

I'm not sure I see your point here. You expect the Senate Republicans to be fair? They change the "rules" however they want to suit them.

I think they're playing for time.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

something I've been saying since forever thank you for validation

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

Is he really worse than Clarence "Every Decision Since 1930 is null and void" Thomas?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
At least Clarence "Every Decision Since 1930 is null and void" Thomas is consistent in his judicial philosophy and will stick with the outcome it gives him rather than determining the outcome first, and working backwards from it using whatever method that gets the job done.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Dameius posted:

At least Clarence "Every Decision Since 1930 is null and void" Thomas is consistent in his judicial philosophy and will stick with the outcome it gives him rather than determining the outcome first, and working backwards from it using whatever method that gets the job done.

Except he totally does that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Not the way Scalia did.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

Not the way Scalia did.

Damning with faint praise.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
So we're back to imagining ridiculous dream scenarios like where the Supreme Court rules that "you didn't vote therefore you don't get to complain" is actually hidden in the constitution somewhere and applies to the senate? If we're doing that, here's a better totally implausible scenario:

All four liberal justices resign. Hillary rules by a series of unconstitutional executive actions. The Republicans whine and cry but the one body who could have stopped her 1000 Years of Liberal Darkness is helpless because they can't reach quorum.

Then for the cherry on top, Hillary could use an executive action to constitute a new "temporary" "interim" supreme court consisting of the four liberal justices who resigned, plus Obama, Beyonce, Slavoj Zizek, Anita Hill, the ghosts of Howard Zinn and Gore Vidal, and the Chapo Trap House guys.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So, anyone else listening to the Opening Arguments podcast? Great multi-part series on the Trinity Lutheran case just wrapped up.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think the GOP is banking on the next vacancy being RBG. Then they can "compromise" and approve one conservative and one liberal justice.

seems like a reasonable political ploy. the whole situation is embarrassing

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

DeadlyMuffin posted:

I think the GOP is banking on the next vacancy being RBG. Then they can "compromise" and approve one conservative and one liberal justice.

That kind of thinking worked well in the US until 1860 for some reason.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Jimbozig posted:

So we're back to imagining ridiculous dream scenarios like where the Supreme Court rules that "you didn't vote therefore you don't get to complain" is actually hidden in the constitution somewhere and applies to the senate? If we're doing that, here's a better totally implausible scenario:

All four liberal justices resign. Hillary rules by a series of unconstitutional executive actions. The Republicans whine and cry but the one body who could have stopped her 1000 Years of Liberal Darkness is helpless because they can't reach quorum.

Then for the cherry on top, Hillary could use an executive action to constitute a new "temporary" "interim" supreme court consisting of the four liberal justices who resigned, plus Obama, Beyonce, Slavoj Zizek, Anita Hill, the ghosts of Howard Zinn and Gore Vidal, and the Chapo Trap House guys.

So I guess all the lower federal courts just disappear in this scenario?

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

So, anyone else listening to the Opening Arguments podcast? Great multi-part series on the Trinity Lutheran case just wrapped up.

I have a 20 hour roadtrip ahead of me. Is this a good podcast to add to the list? Any other good judicial podcasts?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Jimbozig posted:

I think it's more that people are grasping for any sort of solution and since there isn't any solution they arrive at ridiculous scenarios.

So what happens when there isn't any supreme court because all of the justices have died of old age and appointments have been consistently blocked for 40-ish years?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I think it's more that people are grasping for any sort of solution and since there isn't any solution they arrive at ridiculous scenarios.

So what happens when there isn't any supreme court because all of the justices have died of old age and appointments have been consistently blocked for 40-ish years?

Hunger Games?

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

Shoe do do do do do do do
Shoe do do do do do do yeah

Chuu posted:

I have a 20 hour roadtrip ahead of me. Is this a good podcast to add to the list? Any other good judicial podcasts?

Amicus with Dahlia Lithwick is good. She gets great interview guests (often some of the folks arguing the cases) and is a really sharp insightful commentator.

More Perfect is also fun, but more in a radiolab historical oddities sort of way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Chuu posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. The host does a great job moderating, and the lawyer - Andrew Torrez - knows his poo poo and researches every episode like he was putting together a case.

I think the Clinton Emails one should be required listening. But if you're looking for specifically Supreme-court-related ones, they open with a 4-part story about Bush v. Gore followed quickly by another series on Roe v. Wade.

And yeah, More Perfect is awesome but unless my podcast app is doing a poo poo job, there hasn't been a new episode in months. :(

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

dwarf74 posted:

And yeah, More Perfect is awesome but unless my podcast app is doing a poo poo job, there hasn't been a new episode in months. :(
I think it was supposed to be a mini-series and it's just done now.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

AtraMorS posted:

I think it was supposed to be a mini-series and it's just done now.
Well, poo poo. I thought they were doing a great job.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Then people just won't be able to appeal cases to the SC anymore and the lower level courts will rule.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You can always recess appoint justices, it's just never made sense to do it.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So what happens after Trump gets curbstomped on Tuesday, does Garland get fast-tracked or are they going to conjure up some other bullshit reason to stall?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

At this point, I would believe 'entire Republican part of Congress holds a sit-in.'

This fuckin' year.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Noctone posted:

So what happens after Trump gets curbstomped on Tuesday, does Garland get fast-tracked or are they going to conjure up some other bullshit reason to stall?

If the Senate goes blue as well, yes, they will rush him through

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

John McCain and Ted Cruz have floated the idea of not confirming any Justices at all until there's a Republican in the White House again. Mull that over. Johnny Isakson of Georgia has said that if Clinton wins, the Senate will probably confirm Garland before Hillary takes over. A lot is going to depend on who wins the Senate.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I can't see how this is going to work out well for Republicsns at all. If I were Garland, I'd be pissed at them for jerking me around for months, and being just plain disrespectful to me and the bench. Certainly would make me less inclined to strongly consider conservative philosophies when making rulings

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Kloaked00 posted:

I can't see how this is going to work out well for Republicsns at all. If I were Garland, I'd be pissed at them for jerking me around for months, and being just plain disrespectful to me and the bench. Certainly would make me less inclined to strongly consider conservative philosophies when making rulings

Yeah, good reasoning to reject him if he's going to let his personal feelings so strongly influence his decisions.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Kloaked00 posted:

Yeah this is pretty weird, even ignoring that the Court is ostensibly non-partisan, the notion that someone would go "People who are conservatives were rude to me, now after 40+ years as a legal professional, I will adjust my legal philosophy to spite those specific rude people even though they aren't actually a party to any case I'll hear." seems bizarre.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

twodot posted:

Yeah this is pretty weird, even ignoring that the Court is ostensibly non-partisan, the notion that someone would go "People who are conservatives were rude to me, now after 40+ years as a legal professional, I will adjust my legal philosophy to spite those specific rude people even though they aren't actually a party to any case I'll hear." seems bizarre.

The GOP senators blocking confirmation aren't trying to get on Garland's good side. Anybody who gives a drat about a good relationship with the judiciary will already support confirming or at least voting on the exceptionally well-qualified moderate nominee. The rest don't care about nuance and relationships with an Obama nominee, who is automatically and forever the devil.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Kloaked00 posted:

I'm still thinking even if the Dems take the Senate, McConnell is not going to give in because it would cause a civil war within the GOP Senate Caucus. The pragmatic thing to do would be to push him through quickly in lame-duck to avoid a more liberal Justice, but I think it's way more likely they just drag their feet.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Space Gopher posted:

The GOP senators blocking confirmation aren't trying to get on Garland's good side. Anybody who gives a drat about a good relationship with the judiciary will already support confirming or at least voting on the exceptionally well-qualified moderate nominee. The rest don't care about nuance and relationships with an Obama nominee, who is automatically and forever the devil.
Huh? I get that they're not trying to get on Garland's god side. The question at hand is will or should the failure of GOP senators to get on Garland's good side affect Garland's jurisprudence, and I think the answer to both is plainly "No".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm still thinking even if the Dems take the Senate, McConnell is not going to give in because it would cause a civil war within the GOP Senate Caucus. The pragmatic thing to do would be to push him through quickly in lame-duck to avoid a more liberal Justice, but I think it's way more likely they just drag their feet.

only Cruz would fail to see the point and everyone else in the senate is going to be backing his primary opponent except for his one friend in the whole world, mike lee

Forever_Peace
May 7, 2007

twodot posted:

And yet, there's a Clarence Thomas.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

FlamingLiberal posted:

If the Dems take the Senate it doesn't matter what McConnell or any Republican want.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Forever_Peace posted:

And yet, there's a Clarence Thomas.

Does he actually do that? His legal philosophy seems like arguably the most consistent out of any justice.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

twodot posted:

Huh? I get that they're not trying to get on Garland's god side. The question at hand is will or should the failure of GOP senators to get on Garland's good side affect Garland's jurisprudence, and I think the answer to both is plainly "No".

I mean, theoretically, it could affect his likelihood to join in on of those decisions where the Court says Congress should fix this thing knowing full well Congress ain't doing poo poo. But those are cases that either obviously Congress should be doing it and not Executive fiat, or it's a bullshit fig leaf used by the Conservative Justices to excuse doing things like gutting the VRA, so it's not going to.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The GOP gambit paid off bigly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Platystemon posted:

The GOP gambit paid off bigly.
Get used to the thought and the sound of "Justice Peter Thiel".