Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As Nero Danced posted:

I haven't played Skyrim in a long time and the new Special Edition thingy has brought me back in. Just to make sure I'm understanding it all correctly though, skyrim mods don't work natively? What is involved in bringing them over? I know mods that use SKSE won't work for the time being.

Mostly converting old data formats to new ones, there's a new compression/header algorithm for BSAs and only dds textures work now. I've installed a lot of Oldrim mods that work just fine, you just need to check to make sure there's nothing that needs doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
So basically extract the new bsa and make sure the textures are kosher, open up the plugin in tes5edit (or the newer version I've seen floating around) and resave it? I guess after that look for other problems.

I wonder how many mod authors no longer maintain their stuff- things have been pretty stable for a couple years at this point so I wouldn't be surprised if most mods are never brought over by their original creators. Add to that how big of a fit nexus nerds throw over mod piracy, permissions and crap like that and this could be a bit of a mess.

Orv
May 4, 2011
A great deal of the mods you might consider necessary or highly important are being updated, most of the big mod and tech makers have come back, aside from a couple shitfits like the SkyUI guy. Weather, textures, characters, gameplay, most of all the big stuff is being updated. If you have some little mods that you can't live without, there is where you'll find problems getting official updates.

Narcissism, highly efficient, who knew?

Orv fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 5, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

open up the plugin in tes5edit (or the newer version I've seen floating around) and resave it?
Do that with the new SE-CK which you can download with the Bethesda.net launcher.
Here's an overview for converting OldSkyrim mods over to SkyrimSE.

Edit: Here's a quick guide on how to convert animation files.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 5, 2016

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Is there a way we can add categories to chests in SSE yet?

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 5, 2016

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Ugh quote is not edit

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 5, 2016

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I have my mods set up in the old version and wonder if it's worth diving into that rabbit hole with the new version. It'd be kinda refreshing starting a new character. Things I would be most concerned about:

A. Did they fix item placement? Do things stay where you left them now or do you still have to set something down on the ground, leave the cell, return, and then oven-mitt swing it around until it's almost where you want it and pray no one nudges it and a ghost doesn't decide to throw it across the room? ( a mod to fix this in the base game would also be great, particularly with the display cases.

B: Are the new graphics enough of an improvement that I'll be fine without diving into the weeds on that front again. I did pretty much everything you can to eek a good visual out of the previous game.

C: About what percentage of mods have been converted? Is it a major ordeal or fairly simple for modders to switch?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Eifert Posting posted:

I have my mods set up in the old version and wonder if it's worth diving into that rabbit hole with the new version. It'd be kinda refreshing starting a new character. Things I would be most concerned about :

A. Did they fix item placement? Do things stay where you left them now or do you still have to set something down on the ground, leave the cell, return, and then oven-mitt swing it around until it's almost where you want it and pray no one nudges it and a ghost doesn't decide to throw it across the room? ( a mod to fix this in the base game would also be great, particularly with the display cases.

B: Are the new graphics enough of an improvement that I'll be fine without diving into the weeds on that front again. I did pretty much everything you can to eek a good visual out of the previous game.

C: About what percentage of mods have been converted? Is it a major ordeal or fairly simple for modders to switch?

Graphics aren't hugely changed, they've fixed shadows and added god rays and volumetric fog and put a shader over it. It looks nice IMO but it's not drastic.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

I have my mods set up in the old version and wonder if it's worth diving into that rabbit hole with the new version. It'd be kinda refreshing starting a new character. Things I would be most concerned about :

A: things will stay where you place them they don't spawn 2 inches above the surface upon cell loading any more, but placing them is still painful, but that's the sacrifice you make for being able to place items in almost any location.

B: YMMV, personally I think the new effects from DX11 do a great job dressing up the game, and I really don't see too much need for enhancements. The textures are nice enough, but some of the stuff still looks janky on close inspection. Really I would install it, and play for about an hour or 2 without modding the visuals before making a ruling one way or another if I were you. All I'm running is a reshade filter, but I might take that off because reshade still gives you terrible lens flare artifacts.

C: there's something like 17000 mods already converted on the Nexus, most of the big hitters are already done as has been mentioned upthread, but if you had this one little weird mod that was niche as gently caress, it might not be converted and it may never be converted. Nothing would stop you from converting it yourself, and apparently it is fairly simple compared to writing a mod, but modders are entitled little shits so I wouldn't upload it to any mod sharing site if you go to the effort of porting the mod to the new engine.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

no bones about it posted:

but modders are entitled little shits so I wouldn't upload it to any mod sharing site if you go to the effort of porting the mod to the new engine.

This is such a shame too :( a bunch of mods going into purgatory because the creators don't want to update them but don't want anyone else touching their toys. Could we do a dropbox thing or something?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

As Nero Danced posted:

This is such a shame too :( a bunch of mods going into purgatory because the creators don't want to update them but don't want anyone else touching their toys. Could we do a dropbox thing or something?
We could. If someone has trouble converting something, someone here can take care of it. But honestly, the majority of stuff can be easily done yourself.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
/r/modpiracy already exists tbh

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Not a modding fanatic. Last time I played vanilla I think I only had about 3 running. Not really looking for waifus with huge boobs but I would like it if the females (especially the elves) don't look like nightmare fuel.

So I go to give NMM a try and its offline because of all the traffic. Sigh.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It looks like the best looking armor mod from Oldrim had been converted! http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/2290/

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Do the blocking skills in SPERG also all apply to 2H blocking? The descriptions sound like they do but I'd like confirmation.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Wildtortilla posted:

Do the blocking skills in SPERG also all apply to 2H blocking? The descriptions sound like they do but I'd like confirmation.

All blocking. Anything that trains the Block skill.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I installed vanilla Skyrim, the Mod Organizer, and a few major mods, and I'm running into issues. I can't start a new game because it gets to the splash screen and locks up. I have a saved game at the very beginning of the game that I'm trying to load, and it works - but as soon as the rebel says something like, "My ancestors smile at me, Imperial, how about you?" the game just... stops. Everyone stands around forever doing nothing.

What's broken here?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I installed vanilla Skyrim, the Mod Organizer, and a few major mods, and I'm running into issues. I can't start a new game because it gets to the splash screen and locks up. I have a saved game at the very beginning of the game that I'm trying to load, and it works - but as soon as the rebel says something like, "My ancestors smile at me, Imperial, how about you?" the game just... stops. Everyone stands around forever doing nothing.

What's broken here?

Obvious question, do you have SKSE installed?

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

BJPaskoff posted:

What's broken here?

Grab community uncapper. Sperg needs it.
I'd put skyUI above sperg.
What did you run that it's asking for an overwrite?
Right click on the red "overwrite" and create mod. Name it and activate. Or you can double click on overwrite to see what files are in it. If it's an empty folder you can just delete it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I seem to have solved the problem by installing Skyrim Unbound. I thought I had the Uncapper mod, but I guess not.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Is SPERG going to get updated and does it require SKSE before doing so? It's hard to play without it.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

cheesetriangles posted:

Is SPERG going to get updated and does it require SKSE before doing so? It's hard to play without it.

Have you tried Ordinator? I'd never used it for oldrim but trying it out for SSE it's been different in a fun way at least. I miss some things from SPERG, but I also have enjoyed a lot of the more unique perks in Ordinator.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Ordinator definitely has some fun perks, but I'm not really liking it as much as SPERG. Adding a ton of new perks without increasing the rate at which you gain perk points forces you to specialize much more narrowly than in vanilla or SPERG. And, at least for a magic-focused character, the formerly unique skill trees are all replaced with a very monotonous "branch in three or four directions" tree with pretty much the same shape for every single discipline. SPERG at least tries to stick more closely to the original structure. I'd be tempted to take it out and go back to vanilla perk trees, except that the vanilla magic perk trees are just so loving awful.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I ended up uninstalling Skyrim and all the mods when I found out the Special Edition was going to come out, but after hearing about the problems SE has, and that SkyUI and the SKSE wouldn't be coming over SE anytime soon (if at all), I decided to start over with the standard game.

This time, I made sure not to install Skyrim under 'Program Files,' instead installing under C:/skymod. Should I install Mod Organizer in the same folder, or in a different directory under C:/? Also, with Skyrim and all the mods installed directly under the C drive, should I be cautious about installing or uninstalling anything? I don't really plan to venture outside of the Nexus for mods, but I'm just worried about security.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

So I ended up uninstalling Skyrim and all the mods when I found out the Special Edition was going to come out, but after hearing about the problems SE has, and that SkyUI and the SKSE wouldn't be coming over SE anytime soon (if at all), I decided to start over with the standard game.

This time, I made sure not to install Skyrim under 'Program Files,' instead installing under C:/skymod. Should I install Mod Organizer in the same folder, or in a different directory under C:/? Also, with Skyrim and all the mods installed directly under the C drive, should I be cautious about installing or uninstalling anything?

Nah you shouldnt have any problems with it as long as youre not installing in the root C:\ folder. In fact I install all my games in a custom folder in the root of my hard drive because installing them in Program Files can cause issues with Windows' security settings.

As long as you know where the folders you are specifying in the install are, you can install MO however you want, because it doesnt care where it is installed, only where Skyrim is.
E: also, posting from the past :shittypop:

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Ordinator definitely has some fun perks, but I'm not really liking it as much as SPERG. Adding a ton of new perks without increasing the rate at which you gain perk points forces you to specialize much more narrowly than in vanilla or SPERG. And, at least for a magic-focused character, the formerly unique skill trees are all replaced with a very monotonous "branch in three or four directions" tree with pretty much the same shape for every single discipline. SPERG at least tries to stick more closely to the original structure. I'd be tempted to take it out and go back to vanilla perk trees, except that the vanilla magic perk trees are just so loving awful.

Most of the time I have more perks than I can spend on overly specializing, really. There are a lot more perks overall which also means there are a lot more perks that require high skill break-points and you'll be gaining plenty of levels before you hit them. That means you'll be taking skills in other trees, which tend to have a lot of synergization options, or going into other branches of the same tree.

I've been using a magic character focusing on destruction/enchantment/alteration. Those trees all look fine and work well together to me, though haven't really glanced much at the others. Or do you just mean you don't like the visual structure of them?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
What are the major differences between SPERG & Ordinator, and what can be said for combining them?

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!
SPERG is basically automatic. Skill up, perks unlock, don't worry too much about it. Ordinator is huge trees for every skill, you might even up Legendarying skills to get more points with these huge trees.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Oh boy, someone asked about SPERG+Ordinator!
Someone combined them for Oldrim.

Some else made a patch that makes SPERG + CACO work better with Ordinator. Or you can just use it for SPERG+CACO. I actually found out that when I made the patch that I was using absolutely no Ordinator perks.

Again, these are for Oldrim. I am not going to update SPERG+CACO+Ordinator patch for Skyrim SE. Can't run it, not downloading 10GB to save and exit a mod. Besides the fact SKSE is required, and SPERG would need to work for SSE.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Nov 6, 2016

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got mods working on special edition. Thanks thread for all that you provide.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Has anyone upgraded this absurdly simple, very early mod?

Having a clock on the loading screen to remind me it's 1 am was the kind of thing I got to appreciate. :shobon:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
drat. SPERG looks good.

Kinda wish I'd just installed that over the base game rather than getting 10 hours into a SE run.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I played a ton of vanilla Skyrim when it launched five years ago and liked it. I've sinced farted around about 10 hours with Skyre, Perma, Ordinator, and now I'm on Sperg. Sperg is the best overhaul I've touched so far and I'm enjoying Skyrim now like I did 5 years ago when it was brand new.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Decus posted:

I've been using a magic character focusing on destruction/enchantment/alteration. Those trees all look fine and work well together to me, though haven't really glanced much at the others. Or do you just mean you don't like the visual structure of them?

Just the actual visual structure of them. They're perfectly functional, I just liked the way the old trees at least tried to follow the shape of their constellation. It gave some variety to how you progressed through various skill trees.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I'm a level 10 orc using 2H weapons and I'm intending to also dive into alteration because that sounds like a fun combo to use with SPERG + apocalypse magic. I've bumped the difficulty of the game up to notches above the default difficulty and it's still stupidly easy, I'm chopping through everything without any issues. I'm thinking about installing ultimate combat or deadly combat. I'm using NMM because I don't have a zillion complicated mods and it's just easier for me. If I decide I don't like using UC or DC, are they mods that can be easily removed by deleting them through NMM without loving up my game save?

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
So MO has not been updated for SkyrimSE right?
And that's why MO "can't find the game binary and launcher"?

Running SE, Windows 10

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

slowm posted:

So MO has not been updated for SkyrimSE right?
And that's why MO "can't find the game binary and launcher"?

Running SE, Windows 10

Right

It's dead for special edition . I just used the nexus one

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006
Any modders here know why the special edition ck crashes every time I try to link perks in the avif?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The only texture mod I'm missing is some good stand/table wood textures. Any mod out there that covers exactly that? I'll probably have to download something like Noble HD to get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful

IAmTheRad posted:

Oh boy, someone asked about SPERG+ordinator!

Thank you for the work you did, was pretty fun playing with both.