Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

spectralent posted:

Heck, might even be that it was Auschwitz and he or the relatives didn't realise they were in Poland and not Germany. I wouldn't count on a random draftee/conscript's geography knowledge in 1945 being all that great.

Which one is easier to forget - the army your granpa served in, or the locations he saw? Because if he took part in the liberation of Auschwitz then he served in the Soviet army, or was imprisoned there. Or was the last Nazi guard to leave the premises... Or a member of a top secret elite commando group that historians are blissfully unaware of, just like the one seen in the documentary film "Dirty Dozen".

But there were concentration camps actually liberated by western allies, which sounds more likely, if there's any truth to the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

I've read about how the German Blitzkrieg was fueled not only by gas but also by meth, and how the Fnnish long range patrols were using the same poo poo, but how much did the other countries use drugs for military purposes?

Basically every country. Amphetamines were and are extremely common because military personnel often wind up in situations where they have no opportunity to sleep for extended periods. Strong stimulants are necessary to keep them going. Amphetamines were used very extensively by German soldiers and Hitler himself ate MASSIVE amounts of amphetamine pills. Amphetamines were used by the Japanese, and in fact the process for creating crystalline methamphetamine (aka the MacGuffin from Breaking Bad) was invented by a Japanese chemist. The US Army Air Corps used amphetamines for wakefulness.

The USAF still uses dextroamphetamines (aka "go pills") to increase the number of sorties each pilot can fly before needing a break to take a nap. In 2002 a USAF pilot blew up a bunch of Canadians and he tried to claim a kind of diminished capacity defense because he was hopped up on speed at the direction of his superiors. The people in charge were pretty dubious about whether the incident could be blamed on drugs and he was found guilty and reprimanded, so make of that what you will. To some extent raging on cheap speed is something you just have to accept in a military context, because you have (for example) X number of pilots who need to fly Y number of sorties in every 24 hour period, and X and Y don't add up to victory without you multiplying by Z (which is feeding them dexies so they don't need to sleep).

And of course you can also think about opioids, which are pretty much indispensable to military operations--morphine, fentanyl, etc. They're also indispensable to medicine generally, but in a military context people get wounded or injured and they have to be dosed. As far back as Alexander the Great soldiers were doing opioids.

On a more mundane level, huge numbers of American GIs got addicted to tobacco during WWII because they were issued cigarette rations. That's also a drug, and it had a real and seldom-considered cultural and medical effect that lasted probably for generations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

WW2 produced a huge amount of drug addicts, which gets easily forgotten because everything was run to poo poo in general so a few misfits and homeless bums more didn't change the picture that much. Henri Tikkanen is an interesting, and funny, read.

And it isn't long ago when FAF noticed that the go-pills sewn into pilot overalls for use in case of emergency were mysteriously disappearing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eeUYE1XNO5E

"How much RippedFuel have you ingested?"
"I'm on it like a motherfucker, Brad."

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Nenonen posted:

To be fair to the grandfather, that is more likely a case of broken telephone - maybe the pops had at some point mentioned that he'd seen some camp or the other, and idiot relatives then spun a tale of it.

But even veterans lie, sometimes just for kicks

Hieronymus Karl Friedrich

I can understand that having muscular armour is a thing but I didn't realize having a dad body armour was a thing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

In retrospect, the great game as it was called really got out of hand. The first time in Afghanistan for the British Army did not end well and it is bizzarely constantly ignored.

If only more people would read the first hand account of Sir Harry Flashman, who left a detailed journal of the whole thing :(

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

The USAF still uses dextroamphetamines (aka "go pills") to increase the number of sorties each pilot can fly before needing a break to take a nap. In 2002 a USAF pilot blew up a bunch of Canadians and he tried to claim a kind of diminished capacity defense because he was hopped up on speed at the direction of his superiors. The people in charge were pretty dubious about whether the incident could be blamed on drugs and he was found guilty and reprimanded, so make of that what you will. To some extent raging on cheap speed is something you just have to accept in a military context, because you have (for example) X number of pilots who need to fly Y number of sorties in every 24 hour period, and X and Y don't add up to victory without you multiplying by Z (which is feeding them dexies so they don't need to sleep).

I would imagine the US military has switched to Modafinil by now?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fangz posted:

Well my reasoning is that your average infantryman using iron sights is not gonna be a good shot, but the soldier with the burst fire weapon is putting more shots in the general area of the enemy and so is more likely to hit something?

Your burst has recoil applied to each shot after the first. Even a small burst would have three shots in wildly different spots depending on distance to target.

Bonus graph about a controversial topic.

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 5, 2016

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

Amphetamines were used by the Japanese, and in fact the process for creating crystalline methamphetamine (aka the MacGuffin from Breaking Bad) was invented by a Japanese chemist.

Cool!

Hogge Wild posted:

I've read about how the German Blitzkrieg was fueled not only by gas but also by meth, and how the Fnnish long range patrols were using the same poo poo, but how much did the other countries use drugs for military purposes?

Hogge Wild you triggered me, Amphetamines are the stimulant used by the military - it is addictive, but is (generally) safe to use. Methamphetamine are neurologically toxic, and their use over time damages the brain, aside from its other effects. For that reason it'd be extremely unlikely to be used by any military.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Lemme tell you about a lil outfit named the motherfuckin Wehrmacht

quote:

During World War II, methamphetamine was sold in tablet form under the brand name Pervitin, produced by the Berlin-based Temmler pharmaceutical company. It was used extensively by all branches of the combined Wehrmacht armed forces of the Third Reich, and was popular with Luftwaffe pilots in particular, for its performance-enhancing stimulant effects and to induce extended wakefulness.[133][134] Pervitin became colloquially known among the German troops as "Stuka-Tablets" (Stuka-Tabletten) and "Herman-Göring-Pills" (Hermann-Göring-Pillen).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methamphetamine#History.2C_society.2C_and_culture

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Yep, Pervitin was ubiquitous at the time. But it gets better later in the war:

:godwin::catdrugs: posted:

A short time later, Kiel pharmacologist Gerhard Orzechowski presented Heye with a pill code-named D-IX. It contained five milligrams of cocaine, three milligrams of Pervitin and five milligrams of Eukodal (a morphine-based painkiller). Nowadays, a drug dealer caught with this potent a drug would be sent to prison. At the time, however, the drug was tested on crew members working on the navy's smallest submarines, known as the "Seal" and the "Beaver."
http://www.spiegel.de/international/the-nazi-death-machine-hitler-s-drugged-soldiers-a-354606.html

Pervitin was not only used by combat troops but for instance army surgeons to keep themselves awake through countless surgeries and amputations. Then again doctors becoming drug addicts is hardly news to anyone.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 5, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

http://www.spiegel.de/international/the-nazi-death-machine-hitler-s-drugged-soldiers-a-354606.html

I thought getting dix made you sleepy?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I thought getting dix made you sleepy?

sounds like you need a bigger dosage of dix

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nenonen posted:

sounds like you need a bigger dosage of dix

is it a suppository? :ohdear:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mortarion had a few false starts in perfecting the Deathshroud. :vomarine:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Brb partying with some dix

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

xthetenth posted:

Hey Hey Gal, the PYF historical fact wants early modern fashion.

I mean I want it and it's on topic there.
i posted a pic and i also posted an article that describes why those dudes stand the way they do

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

feedmegin posted:

If only more people would read the first hand account of Sir Harry Flashman, who left a detailed journal of the whole thing :(

I find it oddly weird that ITV or Channel 4 hasn't swooped in and grabbed those books to make a TV series or something now Poldark and Victoria are in at the moment.

Still need to read those books.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Budget? Filming Flashman wouldn't be a case of finding some pretty English locations and hiring a cast.

You'd need a lot of exotic locations, not to mention Flashman does find himself (however unwillingly) involved in big battle and crowd scenes.

Plus there's no established cast for the audiance to follow between books. Assuming a book a season, you'd have to swap 95% plus of your cast around. It's basically be Flashman, Elspeth at the begining and end (I suppose you could beef up her part in Flashman Lady), and the odd recurring character like Scud. Otherwise it's a whole new cast required, often in a different country from the previous season.

Edit: Oh, although I personally loved it. I think Jonathon Strange and Mr Norris didn't do that well ratings wise whereas of course Poldark is cleaning up. Your slightly old fashioned English Literary drama is going to be seen as a easy choice by all the TV executives. I bet even now half of them are going once more through, Bronte, Austen, Forster etc looking for something safe that they can commission.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 5, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Yeah budget is always going to be the killer of such projects, but It'd be nice if they risked it and tried one book at least and use a bit of adaption magic.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Pervitin was not only used by combat troops but for instance army surgeons to keep themselves awake through countless surgeries and amputations. Then again doctors becoming drug addicts is hardly news to anyone.

Yeah, a lot of stuff didn't become illegal until the '60s. People today are shocked at how prevalent stuff was. Even The Beatles took amphetamines regularly, particularly in their early Berlin gigs - it was available in drug stores next to the aspirin. No big deal at the time.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

aphid_licker posted:

:psyduck:

You fools, you already had amphetamines

This is wikipedia obviously, so if any y'all can explain the the distance between "Wehrmacht loves meth" and this quote I'd appreciate it.

quote:

Side effects were so serious that the army sharply cut back its usage in 1940. Historian Lukasz Kamienski says "A soldier going to battle on Pervitin usually found himself unable to perform effectively for the next day or two. Suffering from a drug hangover and looking more like a zombie than a great warrior, he had to recover from the side effects." Some soldiers turned very violent, committing war crimes against civilians; other attacked their own officers.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah budget is always going to be the killer of such projects, but It'd be nice if they risked it and tried one book at least and use a bit of adaption magic.

Don't underestimate the cast issue I raised as well. Having only one main steady cast member is an actual issue in 2016 as well. Ideally you want a reasonably diverse (if only in Age and Gender, unlikely to be much ethnic diversity in *most* historical dramas) cast that you can push out to do the rounds of the chat shows, morning/early evening shows, get features/interviews with them online and in the Tabloids etc. Cross-platform promotion is red-hot in these circles and a limited ability to do it is a real black mark these days.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deptfordx posted:

unlikely to be much ethnic diversity in *most* historical dramas
30yw :colbert:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Elaborate.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Tias posted:

I would imagine the US military has switched to Modafinil by now?

Looks correct. Guess I'm not up to date on military pharmacology!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Defining Historical drama here. As 'A drama judged suitable to be made for a British television channel for a British TV audience to be shown around 8/9pm on a Sunday evening.' Which I'm afraid rather rules out the 30yw, which I would be rather surprised if as much as half of my countrymen had even heard of in the vaguest of terms.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

xthetenth posted:

Elaborate.

Uh, guys, we did this last thread, do the 30 years war and mix it with modern hip hop culture. Use ethnicity as a marker for difference in nationalities.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
everyone from ireland to the russian border east-west and sweden to italy north-south was involved, thats a whole lot of ethnicities

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Deptfordx posted:

Defining Historical drama here. As 'A drama judged suitable to be made for a British television channel for a British TV audience to be shown around 8/9pm on a Sunday evening.' Which I'm afraid rather rules out the 30yw, which I would be rather surprised if as much as half of my countrymen had even heard of in the vaguest of terms.
i have seen two episodes of Our World War, you could definitely do Our Thirty Years War

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Guys flashman is alllll about ethnic diversity it's just that most of it ends up on his dick.

The flashman on tv cast issue would be pretty easy - turn one or two of the books into a series. Remove the actual rape from Flashman and it's easily long enough to have a book and has non-evil non white characters. Something like flash and the great game would be easy to adopt and skirt a lot of the racism issues, as macdonald Fraser pretty clearly wrote about both sides committing some crazy atrocities. The blackface is slightly more problematic there of course. A more radical rewrite would have flash and ilderim in a kind of buddy cop thing. GMF probably didn't realise that by casting the empires greatest hero as a vicious coward he accidentally created a pretty potent critique of imperialism - a system that allows that kind of man to thrive kind of thing. Plus we already have like three British actors who could grow the whiskers and put on some weight (a strapping figure in the saddle, what) and start filming tomorrow.

I may have thought about it too much.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

lenoon posted:

I may have thought about it too much.
oh, i have spent some time mentally casting the 17th century tv show that will never exist except in my head, believe me

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Technically, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flash_(film)

Bob Hoskins' first role!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

For you tank-loving types that haven't gotten a chance to go to it recently, WoT's The Chieftan has done a 'quick' walkthrough of Bovington.

Part 1 (of 3) starts here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vdi3YliY_nQ

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
T-55

Queue: T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3, Type 95, T-70, Dicker Max, T-62

Available for request:

:911:
T2E1 Light Tank
M3A1
Combat Car T4
Combat Car M1
Light Tank M2 NEW

:britain:
Medium Tank Mk.II
Medium Tank Mk.III
A1E1 Independent
Vickers Mk.E

:ussr:
LTP
T-37 with ShKAS
ZIK-20
T-12 and T-24
T-55
HTZ-16
Wartime modifications of the T-37 and T-38
SG-122
76 mm gun mod of the Matilda

:sweden:
Otto Merker's tanks

:poland:
TK-3/TKS
Trials of the TKS and C2P in the USSR
37 mm anti-tank gun

:japan:
SR tanks

:france:
Renault NC
Renault D1
Renault R35
Renault D2
Renault R40

:godwin:
PzI Ausf. B
PzI Ausf. C
PzII Ausf. a though b
PzIII Ausf. A
PzIII Ausf. B through D
PzIV Ausf. A through C
PzIV Ausf. D through E

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 6, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

WRT Drugchat wasn't WW1 basically full of drugs because you could just buy all sorts of poo poo legally back then so people would just shoot themselves full of whatever for fun?

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

aphid_licker posted:

I understood that the first thing the Russians would do after overrunning a German position was to strip the bodies of Pervitin.
Apparently the Soviet version of speed was kinda ......... gritty.

German pharmaceuticals = better than potato

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ensign Expendable posted:

T-55

Queue: T-55, Strv m/38 and m/39, Vickers E, Christie Combat Car T1/Convertible Medium Tank T3, Type 95, T-70, Dicker Max, T-62

Available for request:

Combat Car T4 please.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The level of early modern posts is low, hence:

War, Environment, and the Ottoman-Habsburg Frontier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Hogge Wild posted:

didn't it change the the name after the war?

Shoot, I thought they changed it in the middle of the war. :downs: