Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elman
Oct 26, 2009

How do people revoke the privilegia before protestantism shows up? I've only played Austria once but the first few reforms went pretty slow. Do you just ignore the HRE completely and focus on blobbing in the balkans and italy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

Did you get Feudalism and Renaissance before you got your first Idea group?

Yeah. I basically didn't spend any points on anything but development until I had them. I used Kuba and Ndongo for vassal feeding so I was still explanding, though.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Detheros posted:

The Religious Wars do fun things to the HRE. :allears:

My favourite thing that happened to me was when the war caused OPM Friesland to become HRE. They were eventually conquered... but had provinces in North America, allowing them to flee there. And because of the rule that you can't become HRE if your capital is on a different continent than the emperor, it meant that they would remain HRE forever until I eventually dismantled the empire.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Fun times working my way up to the Med as Ethiopia to learn that Otto is allied with France and together they are ripping everyone else to shreds :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

The Little Kielbasa posted:

Fun times working my way up to the Med as Ethiopia to learn that Otto is allied with France and together they are ripping everyone else to shreds :(
EU4.txt

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

So my ironman mega-Spain game in the 18th century is refusing to auto save correctly, just hitting the auto save point and freezing up. Am I just screwed or can I do something to fix it.

LemonyTang
Nov 29, 2009

Ask me about holding 4gate!

Elman posted:

How do people revoke the privilegia before protestantism shows up? I've only played Austria once but the first few reforms went pretty slow. Do you just ignore the HRE completely and focus on blobbing in the balkans and italy?

Yes, they repeatedly add provinces to the HRE to manufacture IA.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

The Little Kielbasa posted:

This is when you ally the PLC and Austria/Hungary and eat the entirety of Africa while waiting for France to get caught up in a stupid war so they won't get called into a war on the Ottomans. If you can snipe the good bits of Egypt you should be able to run amok through North Africa and south down the rest of the continent.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

This is a great post. And yet my favorite part was the correctly coloured Prussia.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I keep trying to get back into this game but I just get so lost. All I really want to do is colonise the gently caress out of some random new worlds, can someone tell a dumb casual what I should be doing?

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Freudian posted:

I keep trying to get back into this game but I just get so lost. All I really want to do is colonise the gently caress out of some random new worlds, can someone tell a dumb casual what I should be doing?

Play Portugal, attempt to ally Castiel and England, stay out of france's way, gently beat up north africa if you're bored, colonize west as soon as you get the idea groups for it.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm playing a native game and just finally reformed my government. Unfortunately, I didn't get any options to change my religion. I was planning to go protestant as soon as possible but it looks like I'm stuck as Totemist.

Is there something I'm missing or did they remove the ability to switch to Christianity while you're "westernizing"?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

awesmoe posted:

Play Portugal, attempt to ally Castiel and England,

Portugal starts allied to England, no attempt required! I'm not sure that's such a great idea though, last time I played Portugal I accepted a CTA from England and ended up with France marching down to ruin my day while England sat on their island holding their dicks

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 7, 2016

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

Xinder posted:

I'm playing a native game and just finally reformed my government. Unfortunately, I didn't get any options to change my religion. I was planning to go protestant as soon as possible but it looks like I'm stuck as Totemist.

Is there something I'm missing or did they remove the ability to switch to Christianity while you're "westernizing"?

You need to conquer a province with Christians in it, then you'll get a decision to convert

maybe North American natives even have an event if you border some Christians

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

skipThings posted:

You need to conquer a province with Christians in it, then you'll get a decision to convert

maybe North American natives even have an event if you border some Christians

I've been rubbing up against the borders of Newfoundland (Catholic) ever since I reformed off them a couple decades back. Not getting the impression that there's going to be an event if I haven't seen it yet.

Not a big fan of my odds going to war against England right now but maybe if I can get a strong alliance with another European power I can steal one of their provinces to convert off of.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If you can raise their liberty desire you might be able to cause a situation where England's rivals will support Newfoundland's independence to spite England. If they do that and win the war they'll probably break an alliance with Newfoundland as it won't really be able to help them. At that point you can swoop in and fight the independent and potentially friendless nation. It's a gamble, but if it pays off it'll pay off big.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Unfortunately they seem to be England's only CN and they're really loyal right now. I was thinking about pushing for their independence just to gently caress over a European power but the endgame betrayal sounds even better and makes this something actually of benefit to me and not just a spite move.

I'll work on building a spy network to agitate for liberty next time I play.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Will I lose advantages if I temporarily join two armies together without merging them? Like for example would the army with the weaker leader be lead by the superior one, or do I have to merge them?

It just saves the hassle of having to manually separate them again once they've done what I want them to do.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In battle, the stronger leader (or what the game considers the stronger leader) will be doing the fighting. But your leader's manoeuvrability won't be applied to your other armies: so they'll be slower moving from province to province, and they won't benefit from the decrease in unit weight.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Wafflecopper posted:

Portugal starts allied to England, no attempt required! I'm not sure that's such a great idea though, last time I played Portugal I accepted a CTA from England and ended up with France marching down to ruin my day while England sat on their island holding their dicks

Talked about this earlier but the AI is definitely a lot more conservative in war now and will bee-line for the weakest opponent to Seperate Peace them out even if it means losing lots of their territory.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Jay Rust posted:

In battle, the stronger leader (or what the game considers the stronger leader) will be doing the fighting. But your leader's manoeuvrability won't be applied to your other armies: so they'll be slower moving from province to province, and they won't benefit from the decrease in unit weight.

I found this out the hard way when I failed to notice one army was straggling behind before the enemy swooped on and annihilated them. Took me a while to realize why my amount of soldiers had just halved.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I seem to be missing Asian advisor portraits but can't seem to find it on the steam store. Searching for advisor just comes back with the Muslim pack and nothing else. Anyone have a link? It feels really weird having European portraits playing as Ming. I'm sure it must exist because I seem to remember seeing Asian portraits before and it seems unimaginable that it wouldn't have been released by now.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Wasn't that a mod made by one of the people in this thread? Try checking the Steam Workshop for it.

e - Bingo. This it?

Mysticblade fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Nov 7, 2016

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Awesome, thanks. Can't believe Paradox haven't put an official one out. Koramei's looks just as good though!

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I was having so much success as Muscovy/Russia, grabbing Novgorod from Sweden, nearly all the Golden Horde's provinces, and comfortably colonizing Eastern Siberia. I had to crash down to earth eventually I guess: I tried to push further into Sweden and they and their allies kicked the piss out of me and took all of Novgorod back.

Can someone explain why my morale bar under my army unit appeared full before dropping about 30% immediately when they entered a battle? This was late in the war against an army they had lost against earlier, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it but don't know the specific modifiers in play.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Nov 7, 2016

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Anyone got any opinions on if you should spam development early to embrace Feudalism if you start out somewhere that doesn't have it e.g. in Africa? It's a straight up 50% tech penalty which sucks, but if you have a non-tribal government you get passive institution growth in your capital which will get you there in 60 years or so. It seems pretty close on whether or not it's actually worth doing in this case; otherwise if you're in one of the parts of the world where you don't get any natural Feudalism spread then it looks like a no-brainer.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

snoremac posted:

I was having so much success as Muscovy/Russia, grabbing Novgorod from Sweden, nearly all the Golden Horde's provinces, and comfortably colonizing Eastern Siberia. I had to crash down to earth eventually I guess: I tried to push further into Sweden and they and their allies kicked the piss out of me and took all of Novgorod back.

Can someone explain why my morale bar under my army unit appeared full before dropping about 30% immediately when they entered a battle? This was late in the war against an army they had lost against earlier, so I'm assuming that has something to do with it but don't know the specific modifiers in play.

They probably have about 30% more morale than you. You both start at full morale, but when you clash, their morale becomes the highest in the fight morale and since you start lower, your morale bar "drops" since it's now being measured against theirs.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

LemonyTang posted:

I get my face kicked in

To be fair if I hadn't sat and waited for you guys to get your poo poo together I could have hit that button and basically declared victory. Still, only fair to give you hope.

Incidentally your bid for my Crimean vassals needs work. You're third place right now.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I love institutions, but I think it's kind of weird that the best way to peacefully gain an institution is to turn a 1/1/1 shithole into Constantinople.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yeah I kinda wish you had to give a more even spread over your territory. Like if every point of development added to a global meter that when filled spawned a center in somewhere in your territory, rather than just doing it all on one specific province.

In my Ethiopia game 95% of my land was like 1/1/1 poo poo but then in the middle of nowhere rose Gonder, a glittering 40 development city. It's a little weird. The patch has already done wonders to make developing more viable, but it's done it in a slightly odd way.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

snoremac posted:

Eej is exactly right, it's because they just have more morale than you at the start. Having played a lot of Muscovy games, watch out for Sweden. Their troops hit yours like a ton of bricks, especially if you don't have Defensive ideas and they do. Sweden has some excellent quality oriented military ideas and modifiers, along with Brandenburg and France (along with Japan and Nepal I guess, but they're far less fearsome for other reasons); beating them is entirely possible given your superior numbers, but expect to lose a lot of battles. If they wind up allied to Poland-Lithuania, you're going to have a bad time, and your diplomatic efforts should be dedicated to avoiding this. The easiest way is usually to ally with Sweden yourself.

e: VVV listen to this guy, he knows what's up.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 7, 2016

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

snoremac posted:

They have way more morale than you as explained above. When you're playing as Russia don't do what most players do and take Quantity ideas because the game heavily penalizes you for having large numbers of garbage soldiers. The way combat works this is straight up not even remotely viable. What you should take is Defensive and possibly Quality ideas depending on other idea choices - this way you'll still have a large number of soldiers because you're playing as Muscovy, but they won't be total dog poo poo. Also, in a war make sure you're always running a +discipline or +morale advisor (in the early game preferably +morale because morale is king) if you expect to win via smashing the other guy's army.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Koramei posted:

Yeah I kinda wish you had to give a more even spread over your territory. Like if every point of development added to a global meter that when filled spawned a center in somewhere in your territory, rather than just doing it all on one specific province.

In my Ethiopia game 95% of my land was like 1/1/1 poo poo but then in the middle of nowhere rose Gonder, a glittering 40 development city. It's a little weird. The patch has already done wonders to make developing more viable, but it's done it in a slightly odd way.

I've always felt like something that's missing from the game is some kind of natural development growth.

Also, it's a little odd that only development that costs monarch points counts towards gaining an institution. Lucky events that increase development should also contribute.

e: as currently implemented, getting "free" development in the province you're trying to foster an institution will actually make it more expensive

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 7, 2016

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Ithle01 posted:

They have way more morale than you as explained above. When you're playing as Russia don't do what most players do and take Quantity ideas because the game heavily penalizes you for having large numbers of garbage soldiers. The way combat works this is straight up not even remotely viable. What you should take is Defensive and possibly Quality ideas depending on other idea choices - this way you'll still have a large number of soldiers because you're playing as Muscovy, but they won't be total dog poo poo. Also, in a war make sure you're always running a +discipline or +morale advisor (in the early game preferably +morale because morale is king) if you expect to win via smashing the other guy's army.

Not to mention Muscovy's NIs basically give you Quantity anyway.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Koramei posted:

For the "intellectual" ones (Renaissance / Enlightenment) I think the current system is actually fitting. You don't trigger a cultural revolution by building slightly better roads and a somewhat more efficient bureaucracy, you trigger it by having a critical mass of intellectuals bouncing ideas among themselves, even if the peasants just outside the city walls are still covered in poo poo. One of the distant precursors to the Renaissance, the Sicilian School, comes to mind.

For the more materialistic institutions like Global Trade, yeah, I agree that the spread mechanics should favour a more uniformly-developed nation.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I guess that makes sense, and then there already is an advantage in having higher dev provinces in general since institutions spread a lot faster through them. I was dismayed in my Korea game when my spawned in Renaissance ended up taking hold through China's high dev provinces way faster than in the provinces right next to it in Korea that are relatively poor.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think it makes total sense cause why would Global Trade care about an evenly developed nation of suburbs versus a single glistening megacity full of trade and commerce?

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
In my last game as Russia (quite a while ago) Defensive was the most important idea group for me. Russia's NIs ensure that manpower is never an issue, but I couldn't keep up with military tech against Sweden and Commonwealth. Both have NIs that make them fight better and I could not beat them in a one on one fight, even highly outnumbered they would beat me. But with Defensive ideas I could absolutely outlast them. My usual tactic was to let them advance and wait for winter, watch them die from horrible attrition and when snow melts, I would advance where the enemy would be weakest and force them to move up and down the front, until winter comes again. Eventually they'll run out of manpower and are crippled by war weariness.

I mean, every war took several winters, but it worked!

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tsyni posted:

Not to mention Muscovy's NIs basically give you Quantity anyway.

Yeah and then people look at that and think they should take Quantity to double-up on the advantage - which is ordinarily a pretty good idea in EU4 because of that way most of the game math works - but in this case it's actually an atrocious idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Thanks for the tips on Muscovy. It was Brandenburg specifically (allied with Sweden) who dwarfed my morale and destroyed me with less than half the soldiers. Most of my military ideas were spent on offense, and quantity stuff like force and supply limits, while I totally ignored defense, thinking I could blitzkrieg the entire continent.

On another note, I've failed to grasp the relationship between development and institutions since I've only hit Colonialism (despite having colonized half of Eastern Siberia already!) while most countries have reached Printing Press and a few have reached Global Trade. I find it hard to gauge how much of my a/d/m power points I should spare on development and in which provinces. I was basically just pumping development into Moscow every now and then.

• Locked thread