Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Is it worth playing B1W1 or should I just play B2W2 (I haven't played either of those games, I just skipped that generation)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

radlum posted:

Is it worth playing B1W1 or should I just play B2W2 (I haven't played either of those games, I just skipped that generation)

It depends on how much time you want to spend on it.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Black and White have a better story
Black and White 2 have more things to do after the story is over, plus each gym has its own theme.

Of course being a sequel you miss out on a lot of references if you start with 2.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

bw and b2w2 are really good and you should play both if you can

keep in mind that b2w2 isn't like platinum/emerald/crystal/yellow. it's a real sequel

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Also due to plot reasons, make sure to stay with the same color of Black/White because since your trainer catches the box legendary in the first game, the second game gives the opposite one.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dehry posted:

Black and White have a better story
Black and White 2 have more things to do after the story is over, plus each gym has its own theme.

Of course being a sequel you miss out on a lot of references if you start with 2.

Having not played the first one I thought it was fine. N literally and figuratively shows up out of nowhere, but then you OHKO Kyurum with Emboar's Hammer Arm and it's all good.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
B/W 2 are actual sequels, instead of a third version with qol improvements like Pokemon trained you to expect. They're good but most of the characters are introduced in the previous game, and you won't get the "only gen 5" pokes experience. I'd seriously consider going with 1 first , if you had to choose, having played both.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
This exact non-conversation happens literally everytime someone asks for a pokegame recommendation.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
B2W2 is better if you can only play one. Go with BW if you really care that much about story in Pokemon of all things for some reason. BW is also way more restrictive in what you can use, since you're only limited to the new Pokemon introduced in Gen V for the majority of the game. B2W2 has a lot more freedom in that regard.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Nov 6, 2016

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

cancerianmoth posted:

Man, I just can't with the VGC stuff. Looking at that chart makes me really sad that there is no variety. The last set of players almost all had the same pokemon- 4 legendaries, 1 mega (the same one in most cases) and brozong. You would think since VGC is official that they would try and make more viably competitive pokemon/movesets.

Well I guess I'll stick to making objectively bad but fun teams. its what really counts right?

This is why smogon tiers exist. Your favorite pokemon is viable somewhere. Play pokeman's showdowns, m'lord.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Scolipede is in both so it isn't like you'll regret anything. Gen V finally gave us rad, powerful bugs that stayed useful all the way to the Champion and for that I'll always favor it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I've never really understood the Gen 5 love. Black just did not click with me, and it's what made me hesitant on playing each new game simply on the merits of me liking Pokemon. If XY and Sun/Moon didn't impress me with cool new (admittedly gimmicky) stuff like the move to 3D, Mega Evolutions, and Alola Forms I probably would've passed like I did with BW2 and ORAS.

It probably didn't help that I don't have any real appreciation for the "New region new pokemon! Pick some new favorites, nobody cares about those old ones!" thing that Gen 5 and to a lesser extent 3 did, and I kind of hate most of the Unova dex. I had to struggle to fill a team of 6.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thanks! I'll probable get only BW2 if I can't find the first one for cheap.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

TriffTshngo posted:

I've never really understood the Gen 5 love. Black just did not click with me, and it's what made me hesitant on playing each new game simply on the merits of me liking Pokemon. If XY and Sun/Moon didn't impress me with cool new (admittedly gimmicky) stuff like the move to 3D, Mega Evolutions, and Alola Forms I probably would've passed like I did with BW2 and ORAS.

It probably didn't help that I don't have any real appreciation for the "New region new pokemon! Pick some new favorites, nobody cares about those old ones!" thing that Gen 5 and to a lesser extent 3 did, and I kind of hate most of the Unova dex. I had to struggle to fill a team of 6.

Yeah, the new stuff only restriction was dumb. I dunno why people liked being locked out of using their old mons, especially when the Unova dex was filled with a bunch of stinkers. Unfortunately, you really did miss out with B2W2 since it had a bunch of the old Pokemon in it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Sade posted:

This is why smogon tiers exist. Your favorite pokemon is viable somewhere. Play pokeman's showdowns, m'lord.

Hell, This.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cancerianmoth posted:

Man, I just can't with the VGC stuff. Looking at that chart makes me really sad that there is no variety. The last set of players almost all had the same pokemon- 4 legendaries, 1 mega (the same one in most cases) and brozong. You would think since VGC is official that they would try and make more viably competitive pokemon/movesets.

Well I guess I'll stick to making objectively bad but fun teams. its what really counts right?

Competitive Pokemon is an afterthought for Game Freak

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I only ever use new pokemon when playing a new game because I wanna meet and learn how to use all these new friends, I can reunite with old buddies with their new tools later during post-game challenge stuff or battling online.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Sade posted:

/spoken through tears

h-he's right. he's right!!!!!!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I only ever use new pokemon when playing a new game because I wanna meet and learn how to use all these new friends, I can reunite with old buddies with their new tools later during post-game challenge stuff or battling online.

That's the thing though, I often find myself using and liking one from a previous generation even if I didn't really care for them when they were new, so they may as well be new to me. Back in Gen 2 I didn't give a poo poo about Crobat but now it's one of my favorites. I reuse something I've used in the past every once in awhile, if it's been long enough since, but I just find it kind of irritating when they decide to just lock you out entirely.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Ruggington posted:

/spoken through tears

h-he's right. he's right!!!!!!

Speaking Through Tiers: The Heracross Story

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

oddium posted:

Speaking Through Tiers: The Heracross Story

I'm still waiting on azumarill's story

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

Yeah, the new stuff only restriction was dumb. I dunno why people liked being locked out of using their old mons, especially when the Unova dex was filled with a bunch of stinkers. Unfortunately, you really did miss out with B2W2 since it had a bunch of the old Pokemon in it.

I liked it, but I liked a lot of the Gen V selection. I don't think it was a particularly sensible idea though.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Gen V finally gave us rad, powerful bugs that stayed useful all the way to the Champion and for that I'll always favor it.

Gen II already did that with the likes of Forretress and Heracross so gen V was hardly the first

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

gen 4 had yanmega

a very good bug that literally never learned a usable move until level 54

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Unsolved Mysteries: Donphan's OU Presence

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
smdh at these losers who can't appreciate that Unova has the single best generation of Pokémon and how awesome it was making new friends.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
SCENE: A large yellow gorilla-like creature with black stripes talking toward the camera with mosaics over its face.

Creature: "I just... why did they all love me? I wasn't even good! I-- oh god--"

CREATURE begins sobbing.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

SCENE: A large yellow gorilla-like creature with black stripes talking toward the camera with mosaics over its face.

Creature: "I just... why did they all love me? I wasn't even good! I-- oh god--"

CREATURE begins sobbing.

it took me a while to figure out this was supposed to be electivire. its ok, i don't love you, electivire

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if elective had electabuzz's tail it might be my second favorite monster. but it doesn't so it's uh. third

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Unsolved Mysteries: Donphan's OU Presence

I still can't believe donphan stayed ou for basically all of gen 5

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Classtoise posted:

Also if Hank Hill can tolerate a back pocket wallet then so can you :colbert:

hank hill also has no rear end

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
VGC should follow Battle Tower/Chateau/Subway rules: no legendaries, no pixies, no special event pokemons, no ridiculous items like Dew Drop, no duplicate items.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
putting my wallet in my back pocket would be unfair to the ladies, since it would be obstructing their view

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

jwang posted:

VGC should follow Battle Tower/Chateau/Subway rules: no legendaries, no pixies, no special event pokemons, no ridiculous items like Dew Drop, no duplicate items.

Legendaries are allowed in the Battle facilities. Just not the event and cover legendaries. And the format already follows all of those rules, aside from VGC 16, which was a send off for Gen VI.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Fact: the only good metagames are the first year of a new generation where its about experimenting with the newbies. This crop looks really fun because of the anti-meta abilities. I'm ready to play in the Tapu terrain wars.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Battle facilities should allow some mythicals.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Shneak posted:

Fact: the only good metagames are the first year of a new generation where its about experimenting with the newbies. This crop looks really fun because of the anti-meta abilities. I'm ready to play in the Tapu terrain wars.

And with the delay on importing old pokemon the online battles should be fun to play for a bit.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Thinking of Marshadow, what could be the "unique typing"? Assuming existing ones (which would be the most obvious) are off the table, what could it be?

Maybe Fairy/Dark, Fairy/Fire, Ghost/Normal, or Ghost/Fighting?

Also, what does everyone think about some left field changes to existing Pokemon? I'm hoping for some more stat boosts or hidden ability changes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I just want to say that I'm so happy we live in a time where we have a heel wrestler Pokémon with "Darkest Lariat" as a signature attack.

That being said, I'm still picking Rowlet as my first playthrough starter, which is the first time I've ever picked grass first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

TriffTshngo posted:

Dr. Fetus posted:

What universe are you guys from where 5th gen was full of bad Pokemon?

5th generation was one of the best Pokemon generations.