Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but Hendricks had three pickoffs in the postseason this season, with two coming in the world series. When is the last time either of those things happened?

I'm cooking and playing frisbee today, otherwise I'd look into this immediately. For now, please enjoy Kolten Wong's shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnHJwIabBU

E: Just off the top of my head I'd expect Carlton had more but I doubt he ever logged as many innings as Hendricks in a single postseason, given the different eras.
E2: Nope, Carlton never had 3 in one postseason or two in a World Series. Pettite did in 2000 though. One in the LCS, two in the World Series.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Atomizer posted:

This is a pretty awesome Rockwell spoof. I'd actually love a larger print of it, as sort of a "Dewey Defeats Truman" callback (also from 1948, and coincidentally the newspaper was the Trib!)

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cubs-star-anthony-rizzo-twerks-his-way-beer-money-victory

Look times were tough when he got traded to San Diego and he had to make some extra money on the side. Also yeah that poster is cool, my favorite part is laughing Tom Hanks in the crowd.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Pancakes posted:

I'm cooking and playing frisbee today, otherwise I'd look into this immediately. For now, please enjoy Kolten Wong's shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnHJwIabBU

E: Just off the top of my head I'd expect Carlton had more but I doubt he ever logged as many innings as Hendricks in a single postseason, given the different eras.
E2: Nope, Carlton never had 3 in one postseason or two in a World Series. Pettite did in 2000 though. One in the LCS, two in the World Series.

Awesome, thanks for the lookup. Should've figured Pettitte would be up there.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Awesome, thanks for the lookup. Should've figured Pettitte would be up there.

I notice that the moon in your av has shifted phases

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I notice that the moon in your av has shifted phases

Is it a waxing gibbaez or a waning gibbaez?

PS, Fernando Valenzuela also had 3 pickoffs in one postseason, two in the '81 NLDS and one in the NLCS the same year. He started a game in the World Series that year but didn't get a pickoff.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

FYI Under Armour's Twitter shows a few different inquiries into the parade jacket, but the official twitter account said no additional production runs/shipments are currently planned. So congrats to the 100 people who got them. :mad:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SourKraut posted:

FYI Under Armour's Twitter shows a few different inquiries into the parade jacket, but the official twitter account said no additional production runs/shipments are currently planned. So congrats to the 100 people who got them. :mad:

The way they phrased it made it seem a bit more optimistic.

https://twitter.com/AskTeamUA/status/795331016416198656

The more people Tweet at them, the more likely they are to do another production run.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The way they phrased it made it seem a bit more optimistic.

https://twitter.com/AskTeamUA/status/795331016416198656

The more people Tweet at them, the more likely they are to do another production run.

Yeah I saw that one, but there was also this one:

https://twitter.com/AskTeamUA/status/795015797974429697

So maybe different people responding? I'll have to find my Twitter login and send them a question about it to help drive demand for another run. I'm back in Phoenix now too so I'm going to go by the Team Shop at Sloan Park tomorrow to see if they have any.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

How do the jerseys from Fanatics generally fit? The official measurements would place me in a medium, but thinking ahead to the battle against middle age spread has me wondering about getting a large. The measurements on a large would be enormous on me (make me look like String Bean in fact). Are they generally sized on the large side?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Cubs decline Hammel's $10M 2017 option.

Unexpected but I guess they want to free up the cash elsewhere. :getin:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Poque posted:

Give it all to DEX in unmarked bills

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Poque posted:

Wait seriously? I thought that'd be a nice bargain for a 5th starter?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

Hammel was pretty cheap but I know they've been vetting Montgomery to be the 5th starter next year.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Here's the official press release:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/795388249128730626

He should have no problem getting more than $10 million on the free agent market, especially with how weak the pool is this season, so good for him. Frees up some money to go after Jansen or keep Travis Wood.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Wow. Shocked that they would decline the option considering they have to pay him $2m to buy him out (so basically 8M for a year as the 5th starter) so either he's more hurt than they let on or they have other plans in mind

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm kind of shocked because they should have easily been able to trade him for a prospect or something. He's a relatively cheap middle of the rotation starter. And there are no good free agent options.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CubsWoo posted:

Wow. Shocked that they would decline the option considering they have to pay him $2m to buy him out (so basically 8M for a year as the 5th starter) so either he's more hurt than they let on or they have other plans in mind

I've had a thought in the back of my mind for a while that he's got off-the-field issues. (That potato chip thing was just absurd.)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Montgomery was pretty clearly being primed as a 5th started this season he has to be the one filling in for Hammels.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Popete posted:

Montgomery was pretty clearly being primed as a 5th started this season he has to be the one filling in for Hammels.

Considering how ridiculously lucky the Cubs got with pitching injuries this year you have to expect Lackey will be out for a good chunk of the year and any of the other 3 could run into arm trouble. Zastryzny can clearly spot start and Wood can give you a bunch of innings on a bullpen day (if they're keeping him) but beyond that the pitching in the minors seems to grade out to garbage and the FA market is barren. Are they also re-signing Cahill to keep around?

I just don't understand the move unless there's something major behind the scenes that we don't know about. If he's healthy, Hammel is arguably now the #2 or #3 best starter on the FA market this winter and whatever contract he commands will give a lot of insight into why the Cubs declined the option.

Actually now that I think about it I really can't think of another team that avoided the injury bug more than the Cubs this year. Schwarber for the year (which was in the end a net positive as it gave Contreras time to adjust to MLB, and we got him back for the World Series anyway), Fowler for a few weeks during the May-June slump, Strop for about a month, a few missed days here and there for Montero and Soler and Szczur and Rondon... I can't remember any other major DL stints.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did Hammel have some kind of no-trade clause?

I'm going to guess they either called around and the market was just not that strong. Or they promised him when he was unhappy that they'd decline the option if he didn't ruffle any feathers.

Or maybe a Trump Super PAC is getting a $10 million donation. :)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Call me naive but I for some reason believe Theo when he says they didn't want to exercise the option just to trade him and wanted to let him explore the market if he wasn't in their plans.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Did Hammel have some kind of no-trade clause?

I'm going to guess they either called around and the market was just not that strong. Or they promised him when he was unhappy that they'd decline the option if he didn't ruffle any feathers.

Or maybe a Trump Super PAC is getting a $10 million donation. :)

I can't imagine the market being weak for starting pitching when Cashner is one of the 'better' FA starters available and even considering his bad outings Hammel was still a 105 ERA+ pitcher and gave the team 166 innings.

The only other thing I can think is that Theo told Jason that if they had no plans for him on the team, they wouldn't saddle him with his old contract just to trade him and let him test the market and this is Theo being classy and keeping to his word. Hammel getting $13-15MM or more AAV wouldn't be unheard of considering how shallow the pool is.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

CubsWoo posted:

The only other thing I can think is that Theo told Jason that if they had no plans for him on the team, they wouldn't saddle him with his old contract just to trade him and let him test the market and this is Theo being classy and keeping to his word.

A front office that doesn't dick their players around makes the Cubs look even more attractive to free agents. :getin:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Yeah, I've never really heard anything bad about Hammel in terms of personal stuff. It's very possible that if their plan is to have Montgomery start anyway and they feel comfortable with their starting depth in the minors that not picking up his option works out better for him to get a bigger contract and also gives the team more money to work with to try and sign some other guys they want to lock down.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/CatPetter1988/status/795391688785047553

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A couple pages ago people were talking about MVP 2005 and that's a hell of a game, but if you have a PS4 it's hard to make the case to NOT get The Show. It's without a doubt the best single-player baseball experience I've ever had, both in season/franchise mode and in Road to the Show. You can even go back to meter-style pitching if that's your thing (and it's 100% my thing.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I like Out of the Park Baseball because I am a huge goddamn nerd and my childhood dream was not to play but to own Wrigley Field and the Cubs. I think they're out of my price range now though.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Nail Rat posted:

Call me naive but I for some reason believe Theo when he says they didn't want to exercise the option just to trade him and wanted to let him explore the market if he wasn't in their plans.

This and it seems like the front office will be a minor dick once, but not twice. Like Dex getting a QO last year and not this one. Hammel being traded midseason once but not kept around to do the exact same thing again.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Here's the official press release:

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/795388249128730626

He should have no problem getting more than $10 million on the free agent market, especially with how weak the pool is this season, so good for him. Frees up some money to go after Jansen or keep Travis Wood.

This is really surprising considering how cheap it would have been to keep him around for another year. I wonder if maybe there were some sour grapes behind the scenes around Hammel not making any of the post-season rosters and he wanted out? I don't recall seeing him hanging around in the dugout or the parade either. Alternatively maybe there's plan to move pieces for a SP with more upside? Not to poo poo on Montgomery, he was perfectly serviceable, but he's also hugely valuable in the pen and if the window is now, I'm not sure why you'd opt for him over a known quantity in Hammel.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I like Out of the Park Baseball because I am a huge goddamn nerd and my childhood dream was not to play but to own Wrigley Field and the Cubs. I think they're out of my price range now though.

OOTP is also a quality choice, but you can't personally run on Jon Lester in that.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

rickiep00h posted:

OOTP is also a quality choice, but you can't personally run on Jon Lester in that.

Lol. OOTP is a text-based game so maybe someone could mod it in.

A runner attempts to steal second. Do the other half of your goddamn job?

> Y
> N

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

A couple pages ago people were talking about MVP 2005 and that's a hell of a game, but if you have a PS4 it's hard to make the case to NOT get The Show. It's without a doubt the best single-player baseball experience I've ever had, both in season/franchise mode and in Road to the Show. You can even go back to meter-style pitching if that's your thing (and it's 100% my thing.

Pure analog is the best.

This sounds nerdy as poo poo but I actually use The Show during my rec league baseball season to help with pitch/location identification as a hitter. It's a really good baseball simulation.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
From personal experience, I can attest that MVP 2005, The Show and OOTP are all awesome. I really appreciated how good Chris Sale was when I had to face him in RTTS and jesus that slider is a nightmare.

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

Bud Black new Rockies manager.

gently caress.yes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Carlos Ruiz to the Mariners, Dodgers return unknown

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

I am really excited to see who ends up stepping on the Michael Saunders land mine.

lol more like sprinkler head

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

FlamingLiberal posted:

e: Oops, I read that as Marlins on my phone.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 7, 2016

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Sydin posted:

This is really surprising considering how cheap it would have been to keep him around for another year. I wonder if maybe there were some sour grapes behind the scenes around Hammel not making any of the post-season rosters and he wanted out? I don't recall seeing him hanging around in the dugout or the parade either. Alternatively maybe there's plan to move pieces for a SP with more upside? Not to poo poo on Montgomery, he was perfectly serviceable, but he's also hugely valuable in the pen and if the window is now, I'm not sure why you'd opt for him over a known quantity in Hammel.

He's been on the edge of simmering over a few times in public about Maddon giving him a short leash, so who knows what went on behind the scenes. He certainly didn't have the Coghlan Gene that endears you to Joe Maddon forever but doing a guy a solid and letting him make his own deal is one thing, but it's not like the Cubs have starting depth, especially after next season. Zastryzny looks like he's the swing man if Travis Wood leaves, then your AAA backups are Dallas Beeler and Pierce Johnson? $1000 bonus baby Ryan Williams may be ready but he was hurt most of the year and the arms that they do have in the system are all 2-3 years away. Hopefully guys like Dylan Cease and Trevor Clifton make it to Iowa this summer.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

not surprising, austin barnes is gonna backup grandal now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/McCulloughTimes/status/795487615612895232

• Locked thread