Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
what is the best form of transit
honk honk
ring ring
BWOOO BWOOO
toot toot
y0sp0s b1tch
View Results

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
microplastic microagressions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

blugu64 posted:

tires are made from rubber smartypants

Owned by logic :negative:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

here's a good one about how even compared to the port authority and mta, NJ Transit has gotten royally screwed over not by decades of complacency but by chris christie being a transit-defunding-piece-of-poo poo

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/nyregion/new-jersey-transit-crisis.html?_r=0

i hate chris christie so much

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 14, 2016

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i hope his heart explodes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i hope his heart explodes

the second he walks free from prison after serving his term for those corruption charges he was just indicted with

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2016/10/18/cyclist-says-his-pool-noodle-makes-toronto-streets-safer-for-him.html

Daily commutes used to be tough for Warren Huska, who cycles 18 kilometres from his home near the Beaches to his office in North York almost every day.

“People get really insulated inside a vehicle,” Huska said. “They don’t really know where the edges of their vehicle are.”

But, for the past year, drivers have given Huska a wider berth.

Now, when he mounts his trusty two-wheeled steed, Huska is protected by a pool noodle.

Strapped to his bike’s frame with bungee cords, the floppy foam cylinder is a reminder to drivers not to get too close.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
yet another example of cyclists wanting preferential treatment, rather then being treated like any other vehicle.

he's supposed to tie a little red flag to let people know he's carrying something that sticks off his vehicle more then 18 inches, instead of recklessly taking the law, and lane enforcement, in to his own hands.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
wrong account, shaggar

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

blugu64 posted:

yet another example of cyclists wanting preferential treatment, rather then being treated like any other vehicle.

he's supposed to tie a little red flag to let people know he's carrying something that sticks off his vehicle more then 18 inches, instead of recklessly taking the law, and lane enforcement, in to his own hands.

a lot of states mandate minimum passing distance wider than a pool noodle tho

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
typically it's 3 feet and nowadays they make rear lights that also mark it out

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I grew up with four feet, but can you even see those in the daytime?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

theflyingexecutive posted:

I grew up with four feet

i bet your parents spent a fortune on shoes

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

infernal machines posted:

:discourse:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

That looks like a lot less than three feet to me

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

I grew up with four feet, but can you even see those in the daytime?

nope. i never use them on mine but the regular light is cool because it has a :awesomelon: mode

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
problem: pedestrians are getting hit by cars a lot

solution: criminalize crossing the road

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

blugu64 posted:

lol if you dont live in a country where cyclists have preferential treatment over cars by default

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
lol if cars can get within 3 feet of you without going through parked cars + a over little median thing

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

problem: pedestrians are getting hit by cars a lot

solution: criminalize crossing the road

Jaywalking as an offense is understandable in a busy metropolis with hundreds of people waiting to cross but being a dick about it like Toronto in the article helps no one.

US cities need to add red lines like London so they can immediately haul vehicles though, the blame is everywhere.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

MA has the right idea on jaywalking

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lampey posted:

MA has the right idea on jaywalking

'just do it'

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the toronto star decided to FOIA the TTC/city's emails relating to our rather questionably justified subway extension plan, turns out the report staff presented intentionally misrepresented the construction timelines of the competing LRT project, and no one is saying exactly why.

now we have a little under 4 000 pages of emails and internal documents to sift through to try and find out

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 28, 2016

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
oh goddamnit. loving council just die in a fire

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

toronto sure is something.

theodop
Dec 30, 2005

rock solid, heart touching
hey

mini metro is a fun game on aynroid and stebephone and stimulates my transit autism

thanks

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
toronto is the epicenter of canadian unexceptionalism.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

theodop posted:

hey

mini metro is a fun game on aynroid and stebephone and stimulates my transit autism

thanks

yeah i got it on steam ages ago and it's cool + good

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
I saw an article about how Berlin is renovating three 1950s era subway trains, mostly to attract tourists to an underused line (but apparently it's much cheaper than buying new trains). They look cute.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/11/the-berlin-subway-is-bringing-back-1950s-trains/506450/?utm_source=SFFB

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

one of the places ny uses old af trains is the shuttle between the <2 blocks separating grand central from times sq. it's not even ada-accessible, just a glorified moving sidewalk for the fattest tourists known to man

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

meatpotato posted:

I saw an article about how Berlin is renovating three 1950s era subway trains, mostly to attract tourists to an underused line (but apparently it's much cheaper than buying new trains). They look cute.

http://www.citylab.com/commute/2016/11/the-berlin-subway-is-bringing-back-1950s-trains/506450/?utm_source=SFFB

the berlin ubahn is cool & good

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

quotin' this from way back lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

one of the places ny uses old af trains is the shuttle between the <2 blocks separating grand central from times sq. it's not even ada-accessible, just a glorified moving sidewalk for the fattest tourists known to man

quote:

It is the shortest regular service in the system, running about 3,000 feet (910 m) in under two minutes.[1]

half a mile in just two minutes!!!!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

meatpotato posted:

the best ubahn cars are the ones with the crazy camouflage seats and fake wood

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

after seven minutes of a landwhale holding the doors open with an upside down map trying to make sense of the world

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

wish I coulda seen the reactions of red hats when they got on the nazi train tho
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2015/11/25/457410075/new-york-subway-pulls-nazi-themed-ads-for-new-show-the-man-in-the-high-castle

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Lol nice

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

public transport is the worst but busses are the worst of the worst

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

public transport is the worst but busses are the worst of the worst

mabes in parts of Manhattan, but they're v good in most other places in the city

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
nope

• Locked thread