Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

edit for top of page:

These things have too much health, and they're not even fun to fight.

Crypt of the Necrodancer: You include a dance-pad mode, but won't pay for me to move downstairs? Terrible.

Real complaint: Dungeon of the Endless is cool and all, but it kinda sucks when playing multiplayer, only having two characters, and the one you're controlling dies. I mean, I guess the other person could delegate all building to the dead one, but it still sucks. I don't know how that could be fixed, but hey.

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I forgive all the retcons and similarities to City Slickers II in Bioshock 2 because it gave us Minerva's Den.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Sic Semper Goon posted:

I beat Resident Evil 4 before I realised that I could sprint by holding the "B" button on my Gamecube's controller.
This is hilarious as hell to imagine, having beaten the game a few weeks back for the zillionth time and still dying a good dozen times I can't imagine what a time you had. Also those time limited parts are a lot more lax than I thought!

E: VVVV me neither bud

smuh has a new favorite as of 23:11 on Nov 6, 2016

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
the little sister setpiece alone was enough for me to like Bioshock 2 more than 1.

I never knew you could just hold the use key to keep drinking in fallout. :aaa:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

OldTennisCourt posted:

It just bugs me because otherwise the game rules. You could make a strong argument to Sofia being bolted onto Bioshock's story but she's such an awesome villain that I don't care at all, I much prefer her to Bioshock 1's big bad.

The good news is, the game's morality system is just a tiny bit more complex than it appears. The more little sisters you save, the less people you have to spare in order to get the best ending. If you rescue all the little sisters, you only need to spare one of the three. But that doesn't make sparing Gil the right choice, of course.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always treated the Gil Choice as compartmentalizing Gil and GilThing. Yes, Gil wants you to kill what he's become, but Gil is dead. There's GilThing now, and GilThing wants to live.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
You could argue that the old Gil Alexander has been entirely expunged and replaced by a new being that, despite everything, still wants to continue living. At that point you're just murdering a new individual against its will to meet the request of what's effectively a dead man.

Edit^^^^Huh, same thing.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There's also the fact that Gil is 100% helpless when you finally reach him, he's just a big thing in a tank who is begging you to let him live, whoever he was is long gone, as said above.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Bioshock 2 was super disappointing in that the whole gimmick was supposed to be that you were playing as a Big Daddy but you were just as agile as Jack in the first game and somehow seemed to go down even easier than he did so all it amounted to was having some crud in the corners of the screen and having a weirdly-shaped shadow. Even the drill was neutered because you needed ammo for it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I dunno, Delta moves slowly and stodgily enough to get the point across without being obnoxiously tanky.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
It's unfair to blame a game for its mods, but I'm not sure how else to get annoyed about feature creep in mods.

See, Dragon Age: Origins has a bunch of weird bugs. Like attack speed. If your attack speed goes over 5.5 it resets to default. So if you're a rogue using your dual wield skills and a buddy mage casts haste on you, whoops now you're a slow useless rear end in a top hat. So of course there are bug-fix mods that address this kind of thing. Except every single one is never happy with just fixing bugs, they all get carried away and think I'd also love to add their personal views on how rogue poisons should work or really minor things like automatic and permanent helmet removal. :negative: I just want the game to work right.

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

FINALLY got around to having a proper attempt at X2:Wolverines Revenge (I think I bought it not long after it came out in 2003!). It keeps locking on to enemies without my consent. While locked on you're much slower which is a serious problem when fighting Wendigo as you need to move horizontally at full speed to have a chance of dodging him. Luckily you can cancel lock on. Also, the hitboxes for that fight suck. Wolverine, of all people, died twice to Wendigo accidentally back kicking him in the shin while running away :classiclol:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

I dunno, Delta moves slowly and stodgily enough to get the point across without being obnoxiously tanky.

Imagine if you moved as slowly as the Big Daddies in 1. The complaint would have been that you were too much like them then.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Delta's health definitely does rocket up and down like a rollercoaster, though, to the point where in the later parts of the game I always had my finger on the medkit button just in case an Alpha big daddy jumped out from around a corner and blasted off half my health in two seconds. If I were balancing the game personally I would have made Delta take much less damage, but had medkits also heal much less health (and made them rarer). That way the player feels like they have a lot of health even though really they have the same health, it just goes away and is restored in smaller increments.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Judge Tesla posted:

There's also the fact that Gil is 100% helpless when you finally reach him, he's just a big thing in a tank who is begging you to let him live, whoever he was is long gone, as said above.

Even then I don't see that working because unleashing a sapient, insane Leviathan into the ocean at large would cause unimaginable, irreparable harm to it. You can't just introduce a new apex predator into an ecosystem because it asks nicely.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the Gil choice would be sort of improved if they gave you three options: Set him free, leave him alone, or kill him. That way they could justify killing him being the 'bad' choice by saying that you chose malice when you had the option of doing nothing and letting fate sort him out. That's what I feel the difference is between the Gil choice and the other two: In the others' cases, you don't determine their immediate fate by leaving them alive (I mean, except that they aren't dead right at that moment). The 'good' choice for them means staying neutral, indifferent, but the game doesn't let you do that with Gil.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I mean, would Gil even survive outside of the tank? He was basically a huge insane fetus. How could he even protect himself?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is out free on PS Plus and for the most part it's a great walking simulator that's extremely pretty, has great music, and is decently written.

It has two issues:
Firstly, in the first area you can access a 'back road' really early on. If you follow your gamer instincts and go down this back road first instead of exploring the guiding lights, it's possible for you to explore the area in a sequence unintended, meaning that you don't get neatly led to the ending of the scenario.
The other scenarios make it pretty obvious which area is 'do this bit last' thanks to a linear path or big landmarks or glowy things, but it's easy to take the back road, visit the clinic and church first, and then not realise after viewing the other scenes to go back to the church instead of moving on.

Secondly, most of the achievements are hilarious petty, although at least the game tells you how to do them, and I can't imagine people would actually go to the trouble of doing them.
There's your standard ones for beating the game and collecting all the story bits, and your standard collectathon ones that are reasonable if obscure, like finding all the different books, and seeing all the Kilroy Was Here graffiti.
But then there's things like staying still for ten minutes, walking backwards for 50 seconds, and 'Radio Enthusiast' which needs to you pick up every Radio collectible without interacting with anything else besides opening doors.
And that's only half of it.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Wow, I hope the behaviour of the red slimes in Xanadu Next is a bug, because I'm getting really sick of getting hit by a bunch of unavoidable, infinite-range AoE attacks every time I dare kill one of these things. Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea? Sometimes you can't even progress without killing all the enemies in the room, and having 3 of these things means that I'm currently guaranteed to lose 50% of my health, and that's assuming I didn't get hit during the fight itself.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

I got a game called Odallus in one of the more recent humble bundles. It's one of those super-retro Ghost & Goblins / Castlevania style side scrollers, including a bunch of that "old school difficulty".

I don't mind being challenged but the third level is frankly horseshit. It's like they crammed every lovely aspect into a single stage:

Water level – check
Autoscroller – check
Underwater sections where you drown in 5 seconds – check
Platforms where you're pushed around by water currents – check

Again, most of it's not so bad (except that autoscroller, has anyone ever enjoyed an autoscroller?) except for the boss, which is a "snake guy pops out of four holes on the corner of the screen and navigates around a central platform" enemy. Think the water area boss from Metroid Fusion, etc. etc.

Anyway, not only is there current on the platforms, the hitboxes in the game are so wonky that half the time you'll bang your head on the roof instead of grabbing the platform, or you won't grab it at all, or you'll miss and the hitbox of the boss will hit you from miles away and you've got no other recourse than hop through the sprite and hope your i-frames hold out.

If it's a system mastery test, it's a bad one, and the best part is that the games has a lives system, so if you game over on the boss, guess who gets to navigate the giant lovely water level (and autoscroller) again!

It's you, the player. You get to do it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Brain In A Jar posted:

and the best part is that the games has a lives system

Why does any video game ever still do this

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Odallus, like most oldschool difficult games, justifies the existence of LPs for me. I have bad reflexes and no patience for tricky platforming, but it's fun to watch the game be played by someone competent. Same deal with the old Castlevanias and a ninja NES game I've forgotten the name of.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Brain In A Jar posted:

I got a game called Odallus

It just gets worse from there. The offshoot stages just crank it up to include more annoying poo poo. One of the minibosses later on is "Chill Penguin from Mega Man X, except the arena is tiny, you can't touch the walls, the floor is ice, and the boss gets a shield that hurts you if you go near it (and you have to go near it to get rid of it)."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Odallus gets a lot easier once you have collected most of the secret items (especially finding underwater breath is advisable before playing the third main level). I used Steam Community's guide that gives vague hints.

Personally I like it. It can be tough but nothing compared to real bullshit games. Not sure about the final level, but I've only tried it once.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Here's something that gets me in RPGs a lot. Ranged enemy AI. In dragon age if you hit a guy who shoots you with a bow, they run away at top speed. They don't get the same drawn weapon penalty you do. So you slowly waddle after them. If you catch up, you slowly do your attack animation, except 9/10 times they run away again so you don't hit them. It's the same poo poo in skyrim, fallout and any number of recent RPGs. Guys run away at loving lightning speed, shooting you the whole time and it sucks trying to catch up to them to kill them. Is it really so hard to give these guys a knife or something rather than turning them into the loving flash?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Uh, the Elder Scrolls series does. I've sometime had the opposite problem, where the enemy archers or mages exchange their bow or spell for a first-level dagger the devs gave them "just in case" because I got anywhere near them, and never switch back, neutering them as a threat.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Digirat posted:

For Mario games at least it would make collecting coins useless not that that's any excuse to have a lives system at all, even Rayman dropped it for Origins/Legends.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Didn't a Sonic game have a micro-transaction system where you could buy more lives?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Didn't a Sonic game have a micro-transaction system where you could buy more lives?

Not unless it was a mobile game, the last two 'real' Sonic games were Wii U exclusive. Is the Wii U online service robust enough to allow that?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Veotax posted:

Not unless it was a mobile game, the last two 'real' Sonic games were Wii U exclusive. Is the Wii U online service robust enough to allow that?

Yep, microtransactions are a thing on Nintendo consoles, Hyrule Warriors and the recent Fire Emblem games have had quite a lot of DLC, even Mario Kart 8 had a season pass.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Digirat posted:

Super Mario Galaxy was bizarre in that regard because they would often put extra lives in hard to each spots but extra lives were absolutely meaningless in the game because (IIRC) they didn't keep between play sessions and even if you ran out the game would just start you over in the same level.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Super Mario Galaxy was bizarre in that regard because they would often put extra lives in hard to each spots but extra lives were absolutely meaningless in the game because (IIRC) they didn't keep between play sessions and even if you ran out the game would just start you over in the same level.

And then after you progressed beyond a certain point an NPC in the hub world just started giving you increasingly large amounts any time you talked to them. I think you got like 20 or something once you beat the game.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Judge Tesla posted:

Yep, microtransactions are a thing on Nintendo consoles, Hyrule Warriors and the recent Fire Emblem games have had quite a lot of DLC, even Mario Kart 8 had a season pass.

Those aren't really microtransactions, that's DLC, and you have to leave the game and go to the e-shop to buy them. I think he's talking more about mobile game "you're out of plays for today, unless you want to spend $1 for more!" kind of crap.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
Riding the train in Spirit Tracks is really relaxing, until you have to start dodging the evil trains. I can't help but feel they only exist to make people stay on the overworld longer by having them have to stop and wait, or just alter their course to usually go the longer routes.
Also, it took me like ten tries to get the spirit flute going to get to the snow temple.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nothing people have complained about Darkest Dungeon here has sunk into me to make me know what are bad game things, but I just learned that people can lose your accessories when gambling.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Darkest Dungeon seems so intent to screw the player with so much petty bullshit it's a wonder they didn't add the possibility for characters to succumb to diabetic shock when they down a health potion, or chafe themselves to death from itchy blankets.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darkest Dungeon seems so intent to screw the player with so much petty bullshit it's a wonder they didn't add the possibility for characters to succumb to diabetic shock when they down a health potion, or chafe themselves to death from itchy blankets.

Health potions? Health Potion?! There no health potions, you silly fool, there are only skills.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Health potions? Health Potion?! There no health potions, you silly fool, there are only skills.

And some of those do actually screw you over sometimes. :v: IIRC, there's one dude who can heal 0 to whatever hp at the cost of giving a bleeding debuff, so it's entirely possible for him to heal for nothing and make your character bleed to death, only making matters worse.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RareAcumen posted:

I played the game as much No Man's Sky, which is to say I refunded it the day it unlocked because people said it sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

On the other hand a game that went all the way like that might have its own charm in a dwarf fortress kinda way.