Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Argue posted:

Dan Harmon has an AMA up and he really loves answering it; a lot of his answers are really well thought out or at least quite detailed. You get to learn the events that led to him being taken off Community season 4, for instance.

More relevant to this thread, I liked his answer to "What's the drink in Rick's flask?"

I can never figure out how to read reddit and I'm not sorting through thousands of "hi dan how can I get a job?!" or "lol rock an morty is my fav show gay" posts to find his replies buried. Would love to hear the juiciest juice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Baronjutter posted:

I can never figure out how to read reddit and I'm not sorting through thousands of "hi dan how can I get a job?!" or "lol rock an morty is my fav show gay" posts to find his replies buried. Would love to hear the juiciest juice though.

IAmA actually does some OK moderating. The interesting stuff's at the top, and harmon's posts are highlighted.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I just saw the first episode of Harmonquest on YouTube and absolutely loved it. I know that this is obviously a bit of a pro-Harmon kinda thread, but does the show keep up its quality throughout the season? I've never heard of a Seeso before but I'm tempted to pay its subscription fee so I can knock out this show over the next month or two!

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I just saw the first episode of Harmonquest on YouTube and absolutely loved it. I know that this is obviously a bit of a pro-Harmon kinda thread, but does the show keep up its quality throughout the season? I've never heard of a Seeso before but I'm tempted to pay its subscription fee so I can knock out this show over the next month or two!

Harmonquest is great, for me the price of admission is worth it even if the only thing I watched was harmonquest. The only problem is their website is garbage. Also even though you can sign up for a subscription through amazon video you can still only watch clips (including the extras from harmonquest) on the seeso site...

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

The main cast stays great throughout. Some of the guests are clearly phoning it in, but that has its own charm too.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Typical posted:

Comedy Answer: yes we just trace anime and erase the eyes out and replace them with our own.

Real answer :

This scene and this scene were originally going to be similar. with the idea that the buildings and plant foliage served a simialar function. they are foreground elements that hide the characters feet which is wayyyy cheaper to animate. but it the end it just got animated the way it did

for this sequence

the art directors said to use large areas of black shadows on the characters citing Deadleaves as example

There are other examples too. all equally subtle and boring. Welp. that's my story. Also watch HarmonQuest if you are looking for other cartoons like rick and morty. Much of the art crew is the same. in terms of utilizing the same people, that's literally the closest you can get.

ROILAND AND HARMON CONFIRMED FOR EVANGELION FANS!

:swoon:

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

rydiafan posted:

Do you guys think that dog's owners named it Beancounter, or was that the name it gave itself, like Snowball? Also, if it's owners did it, do you think it influenced Beancounter's decision to become accountant? Do our names define our fates?

He was just a dream figment so none of the above.

Also he wasn't named Beancounter. Snowball was just calling him that because it's a derisive word for someone who put's money over morality.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Dr_Amazing posted:

He was just a dream figment so none of the above.

Also he wasn't named Beancounter. Snowball was just calling him that because it's a derisive word for someone who put's money over morality.

Jesus. Snowball clearly refers to his accountant as Beancounter, and there were minutes--minutes--in the episode devoted to the conventions of naming. Way to miss the point of loving the gently caress out of that scene

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I don't know what it is about the format, but I laugh my rear end off at Harmon Quest and I really miss the roleplaying games on HarmonTown. I haven't checked in on it for awhile, because without the podcasts, it's mainly just listening to a sad man drink and cry and I do that enough in my own life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hate Rick and Morty fans.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

AxeManiac posted:

I don't know what it is about the format, but I laugh my rear end off at Harmon Quest and I really miss the roleplaying games on HarmonTown. I haven't checked in on it for awhile, because without the podcasts, it's mainly just listening to a sad man drink and cry and I do that enough in my own life.

I really enjoyed Harmon Quest too. Jeff Davis loving slays it, and I thought the story was fun. I just wish the story was less obviously scripted and more like improv D&D but w/e.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I really enjoyed Harmon Quest too. Jeff Davis loving slays it, and I thought the story was fun. I just wish the story was less obviously scripted and more like improv D&D but w/e.

It was scripted on harmontown too, the players were just pretty much always black out drunk by the time they started playing. Listen to Spencer in the early days, he's not winging it like Dan and Jeff think he is (he wrote less as time went on for sure though). Also Harmon Quest is edited so it seems tighter story-wise, if you cut out all the tangents and blackout drunk parts of the original Harmontown quest it would feel more cohesive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Nobody did any beancounter fan art? what the

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want season 3 to have just one episode that's all Ball Fondlers and nothing else. Maybe a framing story of Rick and Morty watching it but that's it.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

sticklefifer posted:

I want season 3 to have just one episode that's all Ball Fondlers and nothing else. Maybe a framing story of Rick and Morty watching it but that's it.

They did this in the comic and it was... not really all that great.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The dimensional cable stuff is pretty funny in the small doses it comes in but no where near the best part of Rick & Morty

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Funkmaster General posted:

They did this in the comic and it was... not really all that great.

It's like, you might think you would love to eat a whole can of cake frosting, but it actually makes you sick and unhappy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

sticklefifer posted:

Dan Harmon said there's nothing Ball Fondlers in season 3, sorry.

But Joel McHale is doing a voice!

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Cob time!!!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZbxWvc9O6M

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yes, that's cool, but can we finally talk about how bad all anime is?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's a cool video, did anyone see the court transcript one?

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Skellybones posted:

That's a cool video, did anyone see the court transcript one?

It was funny, but the elastic chains really bugged me.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we dont need to discuss how anime is bad because anyone who looks at it knows it is bad a priori

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Googas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IATW9Ay-wws

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Persona 5 just got delayed, so I agree, anime is bad

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arist posted:

Again? At this rate Persona 5 won't be released until after the heat death of the universe.

This is fantastic, I love that the world is full of the kind of nerds willing to make and film awesome stuff like this.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

http://www.channel101.com/episode/514
Some classic Harmon and Roiland.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches

Arist posted:

kill me

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Point a gun at your head and then pull the trigger. Except it's okay because a gun is metaphor.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

counterfeitsaint posted:

Point a gun at your head and then pull the trigger. Except it's okay because a gun is metaphor.

The head is also a metaphor.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
The bullet's not a metaphor though

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MrSlam posted:

The bullet's not a metaphor though

Is it a dickphor?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The head is also a metaphor.

Everything is a metaphor.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

rydiafan posted:

Is it a dickphor?

It's a metaphive dumbass.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I know I'm late to the party on this, but if anyone has access to a Vive you need to try accounting. It's peak Roiland.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
What the gently caress
https://youtu.be/j2cCwEP1SiA

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

Get me a cigarette, cause that just blew my mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

this is why I'm glad the internet exists

• Locked thread