Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oh yeah, Sledge is the best Power Rangers villain in ages, kinda forgot that fact. :allears:

MotW: I haven't had this much fun since I destroyed the Kyuoruger Galaxy!

Dino Charge is so good. So very good. Seriously, Shelby creating Deathryuger's zord is the coolest thing. I really love how much agency she had the whole season, she has a goal in life and all the ranger stuff actually helps her towards it like how her lifegoals helped her ranger stuff this ep. I wouldn't be able to say the same about any ranger in Megaforce.

If anybody fell back, now's a good time to start catching up, there's two episodes left to the story and there aren't schedule breaks. I really, really hope the extra christmas special is an epilogue thing rather than made to vaguely fit at any point like the last Halloween one.

They managed to make a good show out of a good show. Now lets see if they can pull off something similar to Zeo with the next show and make something decent out of a turd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Intergalactic reality show about destroying the earth is a pretty great way to improve Ninninger already, so i'm feeling pretty safe with Chip.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Improving Ninninger would be easy. In fact, I'm fired up thinking about it! Yeehoo!

Ciao!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Party night!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Burkion posted:

Here's my problem with the design.

Remove any connection to the original, that's fine. They clearly do not care about evoking the nostalgia of the original series so sure.

If the light up toy is the more accurate one to the movie, which it should be since it doesn't have to combine- this doesn't look like a giant robot made up of dinosaur robots. This doesn't look like a giant robot at all.

This looks like some big beefy guy in a mesh body suit with Iron Man armor strapped to him haphazardly. It looks like some one in power armor- and if that's what they wanted, why didn't they model it after the Ranger suits themselves? It doesn't look anything like them besides being humanoid in shape.

What is the point of having it be a giant combining robot if it doesn't look anything like it? There is none. It might as well just be a giant robot without the dinosaurs at all for all they did with it.

And then you get to the crippling weak point of the entire design- it has no face. It has no face at all. Say what you will about the Michael Bay Transformers- Optimus Prime has a good head design across all of the movies, especially with the mouth plate on. It's strong, iconic, evokes the original design, has a lot of personality, but is also its own unique thing.

This is literally a generic Mook helmet that you give some no name storm trooper because you don't want the audience to emphasize with them.

The face is a screen and Bryan Cranston's rugged, gnarled, weathered yet oddly handsome fat blue face as Zordon will be projected on it, mark my words.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Calaveron posted:

The face is a screen and Bryan Cranston's rugged, gnarled, weathered yet oddly handsome fat blue face as Zordon will be projected on it, mark my words.

I would accept this.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Actually, regarding Ninninger, I picked it back up after mocking it earlier and it's stupid and Takaharu is horrible, but goddamn it's a lot of fun. The episode where they fight Frankenstein's monster while doing everything possible to give Fuuka the day off, jesus :allears:

I had completely forgotten about Lion Ha-Oh being the Gaoranger singer, too.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Ninninger is a series that has a great hero cast, even outside of the Rangers, and absolutely ignores any and all opportunities they'd have to shine to focus on Takaharu, who is a terrible character with a terrible actor, in a situation where two negatives absolutely do not make a positive.

Kasumi deserved a better show.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Actually, regarding Ninninger, I picked it back up after mocking it earlier and it's stupid and Takaharu is horrible, but goddamn it's a lot of fun. The episode where they fight Frankenstein's monster while doing everything possible to give Fuuka the day off, jesus :allears:

I had completely forgotten about Lion Ha-Oh being the Gaoranger singer, too.

Best toku version of Frankenstein's Monster will always be Dora Frankie from Zyurange

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

drrockso20 posted:

Best toku version of Frankenstein's Monster will always be Dora Frankie from Zyurange

You are entirely correct about this

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Burkion posted:

You are entirely correct about this

Yeah I definitely wasn't expecting such a low budget looking monster to lead to some of the best fights in Super Sentai I've yet seen, or for it to last so long(I think that might be the longest a MOTW has lasted in Super Sentai)

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah I definitely wasn't expecting such a low budget looking monster to lead to some of the best fights in Super Sentai I've yet seen, or for it to last so long(I think that might be the longest a MOTW has lasted in Super Sentai)

It's probably a function of the suit/makeup being so cheap compared to their other monster suits that they can afford to have it participate in more stunts/be "deployed" for a longer chunk of the production in general.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

deadly_pudding posted:

It's probably a function of the suit/makeup being so cheap compared to their other monster suits that they can afford to have it participate in more stunts/be "deployed" for a longer chunk of the production in general.

That and the fact that his costume is probably one of the least restrictive in terms of mobility and dexterity I've seen, as it's mostly relatively normal clothes and makeup, at least for his first form(Zombie and Satan Frankie line up more with more standard Sentai Monster standards, although Zombie Frankie still had some pretty good fights, and both were great designs)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

:catdrugs:
I hope with all my heart that the season finale is canon to the shows going forward.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I watched it and reading this says how awesome it is

quote:

Universally-speaking, one of the asteroids that Sledge accidentally releases onto Earth in the first episode of Dino Chargecontains the Dino Gems as the Dino Gems came to Earth in the same asteroid that caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. That said, preventing the meteor strike that caused the extinction also means that the Dino Gems never arrived on Earth. This therefore unintentionally retcons Power Rangers Dino Thunder out of continuity 

This show must've seen what DB Super did and said " Oh yeah?"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While it's likely that they'll just pretend this never happened part of me kind of hopes they just run with it and have random dinosaurs in the background of future seasons (of course they could just write Dino Charge off as a seperate universe ala RPM or just retcon it and say that dinosaurs only still exist in Amber Beach).

Overall I'd say Dino Charge was a definite return to form and hope they continue to refine things in Ninja Steel (which so far is already sounding better than it's source material). The second half did falter a bit in some aspects (Arcanon ended up being completly pointless for example) but overall a pretty good show.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I'm expecting tiny references (and keeping it to Amber Beach might be the best way to go) but it'd be awesome if they went hogwild with this new timeline. Bring Tommy back! Have it turn out he's entirely different due to Dino Thunder not happening. Heck, maybe it affected Ninja Storm in some way due to crossover episode.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I'm expecting tiny references (and keeping it to Amber Beach might be the best way to go) but it'd be awesome if they went hogwild with this new timeline. Bring Tommy back! Have it turn out he's entirely different due to Dino Thunder not happening. Heck, maybe it affected Ninja Storm in some way due to crossover episode.

lmbo Tommy's gonna come back as like still an archaeologist/paleontologist guy, only this time he found a different ancient relic that can create Power Rangers.

Do you suppose they'll skip Zyuohger? It seems like it would localize pretty good, except they already sniped the "interstellar game show for supervillains" thing for their localization of Ninninjer.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Surprised you guys aren't talking about those hilarious leaked zord toys from the new movie.

6 legs!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

omg chael crash posted:

Surprised you guys aren't talking about those hilarious leaked zord toys from the new movie.

6 legs!

I think it's best we just ignore those happened and live in denial that the real ones won't look quite as

Atrocious in every single way

For the love of Christ they don't even look fun for a kid to play with what is the point of them

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Never thought I'd wish for another poorly CGI'd frog but, welp, here we are

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
At this point I feel like every art direction from this movie is created like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AySXu8x-RnA

I'm honestly going to skip out of this thing unless a miracle happens and it stops looking like absolute crap.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think it looks great, especially the cast.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
Fuuuuuuuuucking hell. The zords may or may not be good in the movie but the toy looks like dogshit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUg15bRQexc

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

How do these toys get out so early all the time?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

RBX posted:

How do these toys get out so early all the time?

It can take, no joke, 6 months to ship finished products from China when you factor in customs, potential port worker strikes, etc. So things are shipped way early. I wouldn't be surprised if the toys are already in warehouses waiting for someone to break street date on accident.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To transform this thing

You have to literally take it apart

Good toy design

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I have no interest in these toys because I have enough tiny plastic things in my life.

I also watched the movie trailer on the official website. You know, I'm okay with the fact that all five of them have super strength and other abilities with just the coins in their possession. At least when any henchmen fight them, they won't look like boobs getting beat up by high schoolers that got their black belts in a soda shop. I don't have high hopes for this movie, but I'm okay with the civilian super powers.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Finally finished Ninninger, and you know, it wasn't awful. It's just so ridiculously high-energy about everything, and goddamn were the Kibaoni leaders good. Ariake no Kata :allears:

I even powered through Ninninger Returns, despite the weird Ninja Idol thing making it not easy. Midoninger :allears:

Kinda wishing Jyuouger was half as fun as Ninninger turned out to be, lately.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I do like that T. rex. Looks like it has lots of articulation and most importantly for any child is loving huge. When they put the megazord together it will be so big. Also in the blue visor with light reflecting off of it you see the hint of that old face shield thing from the original megazord, I think the head will look good in light.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
See, the thing about partsformers is that it's generall accepted as a trade-off. "This can't simply transform, it has to be taken apart and put back together" usually (at least with Transformers) means "the alt-mode is elaborate and/or good enough to justify the corner-cutting.

Except with Sentai toys, that doesn't seem to be the case, and with PR toys in particular, it just feels like it's entirely used as a cost-cutting measure at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Finally finished Ninninger, and you know, it wasn't awful. It's just so ridiculously high-energy about everything, and goddamn were the Kibaoni leaders good. Ariake no Kata :allears:

I even powered through Ninninger Returns, despite the weird Ninja Idol thing making it not easy. Midoninger :allears:

Kinda wishing Jyuouger was half as fun as Ninninger turned out to be, lately.

To Ninninger's credit, everyone who wasn't Takaharu ranged from tolerable to decent (Kasumi is one of my favorite Pinks for example), the Kyuemon plot was interesting if not somewhat poorly handled, and I still like the suit and mech design for the series. It's not my favorite Sentai by any stretch, but it has its moments.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

:allears::allears::allears::allears::allears:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
She don't need a magic wand to make my monster grow.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I remain not a fan of that costume, but what baffles me about it is that all of the flesh exposed areas are also costume. I wonder if it's to help the integrity of the suit?

For those wondering what I'm on about, we've seen behind the scenes photos and pictures of the suit without the actress in it- at the very least, the chest is all one solid piece, with what looks like the cleavage window being part of the costume as well, like certain Cosplayers reasonably do. I THINK the other exposed skin sections were just costume as well but I don't remember that well.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Burkion posted:

I remain not a fan of that costume, but what baffles me about it is that all of the flesh exposed areas are also costume. I wonder if it's to help the integrity of the suit?

For those wondering what I'm on about, we've seen behind the scenes photos and pictures of the suit without the actress in it- at the very least, the chest is all one solid piece, with what looks like the cleavage window being part of the costume as well, like certain Cosplayers reasonably do. I THINK the other exposed skin sections were just costume as well but I don't remember that well.

It could be a suit integrity thing, it could be a ratings board "see? It's part of the suit, that's not her actual sideboob" thing. It's probably both. The live-action Cutie Honey movie had this, too, with the flesh-colored sections of her suit, but I think in that case it was so they could avoid breaking kayfabe with a bunch of straps and stuff.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

deadly_pudding posted:

It could be a suit integrity thing, it could be a ratings board "see? It's part of the suit, that's not her actual sideboob" thing. It's probably both. The live-action Cutie Honey movie had this, too, with the flesh-colored sections of her suit, but I think in that case it was so they could avoid breaking kayfabe with a bunch of straps and stuff.

I hope it looks better in motion then that did- I legit could not tell if it was meant to be peach leather or if they were trying to pass it off as her skin half the time. Especially with the stunt suit.

Mind you that movie looks horrible anyways because they chose the worst style over substance imaginable, but that's neither here nor there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Isn't Cutie Honey almost explicitly the Fanservice Magical Girl?

Edit Cutie Honey: Sideboob Is Magic

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

Isn't Cutie Honey almost explicitly the Fanservice Magical Girl?

Edit Cutie Honey: Sideboob Is Magic

Cutie Honey predates Magical Girls and isn't really one herself. She's closer to Kamen Rider, which she was very heavily based on and even has a Rider-style form as one of her disguises.

There has been A Cutie Honey Magical Girl series, made after Sailor Moon finished, but she herself isn't one as a brand.

She is, however, fanservice as gently caress. Even the better series cannot avoid that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Go Nagai is honestly kind of a hack, but ultimately Cutie Honey pretty much invented the magical girl warrior just like Mazinger Z put the finishing touches on the giant robot trope. Without Cutie Honey it'd all be cute witch girls going on My Little Pony-esque adventures. Which is an okay genre in it's own way, but you know, no Sailor Moon or Madoka or anything like that.