Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't even think they allow you to take chantix even if you're using it to quit smoking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
If you got a denial on your medical you should really get professional help immediately to rectify the issue. Some things can be time critical and you can screw yourself even worse inadvertently by not following specific protocol.

I recommend https://www.aviationmedicine.com or Dr Chien on the AOPA forums.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Nickelsack posted:

I don't even think they allow you to take chantix even if you're using it to quit smoking

Doesn't that have "suicidal thoughts" as a possible side effect? I can see why the FAA wouldn't want pilots taking that, especially on a short-term basis where they don't know how the side effects might manifest themselves.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

PT6A posted:

Doesn't that have "suicidal thoughts" as a possible side effect? I can see why the FAA wouldn't want pilots taking that, especially on a short-term basis where they don't know how the side effects might manifest themselves.

IIRC they were concerned about seizures as a side effect.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

ausgezeichnet posted:

Let's argue about pilot shirts and shoes next. Then which BBQ joints are best.
Van Husen. Our company just started enforcing a "company shirts only" policy and the shirts they provide are garbage.

ausgezeichnet posted:

Then which BBQ joints are best although Arkansas has a lot of good airport BBQ (whole hog at LIT, smokewood XNA)
Whichever one is closest.

Butt Reactor posted:

DC Pro-x, argument closed.
Any opinion on the one-x? I dislike the on the ear style as they press my ears against my glasses frame.

sanchez posted:

PPL is done, finally. gently caress that was hard. Not so much the flying part, I'm proof anyone can figure it out eventually, but coordinating work and everything else while simultaneously shoveling money into a hole in the ground was rough.
PPL is probably the second hardest rating (after CFI). Instrument and commercial are mostly just building off of skills you already have. Also you now have a lot more options for training like flying at night or in low vis wx so coordinating the training usually become easier.

e.pilot posted:

Any shoe as long as it's well polished and not slip on. :colbert:
Try wearing slip ons for an entire sequence some time. You'll never go back.

azflyboy posted:

Since 90% of the flight deck noise on the Q400 in flight is from the windshield wipers (seriously, who thought parking the wipers perpendicular to the airflow was a good idea?)
Wait, this is actually a thing? I was on a Horizon jump seat a few months ago and I though the crew was loving with me when they parked the wipers halfway across the windscreen. I guess my sarcasm detector is just totally broken.

Platystemon posted:

IIRC they were concerned about seizures as a side effect.
I don't actually have anything to say here that hasn't already been said. I just felt like I needed to quote more people in this post.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

KodiakRS posted:

Wait, this is actually a thing? I was on a Horizon jump seat a few months ago and I though the crew was loving with me when they parked the wipers halfway across the windscreen. I guess my sarcasm detector is just totally broken.

Yep. Since the wipers have little posts sticking off them that let the crew see ice buildup, the wipers are required to be left parked in the horizontal position as part of the ice protection system, which makes an impressive amount of noise.

Due to the amount of noise generated by the parked wipers, it isn't uncommon for some captains to "accidentally bump" the wiper switch climbing through 10,000 to shift them more parallel to the airflow and quiet the flight deck down if the weather is going to be VMC.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

i am kiss u now posted:

I didn't really realize at the time that taking an SSRI would totally gently caress up my poo poo. The medication helped, it really did and I just stayed on it because there was really no harm. When I went on it, I hadn't flown in like 5 years and I didn't intend to in the near future. Well, I got back into flying in the summer and when my medical expired in September, it was GG. Ugh.

I'm looking at the FAA website and if I stay off of it for 60 days, I can apply for "regular reissuance" with a note from my prescriber indicating that I'm not a lunatic. That's how I interpret anyway.

Taken from here: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/item47/amd/antidepressants/

Did you go back in to get a medical and get deferred/declined? If not, and assuming your mental illness isn't too severe*, you could also just wait for medical reform to go through in the next 6-8 months and fly with just a logged doctor visit.

*Too severe being this per the AOPA FAQ:

quote:

personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts; psychosis defined as a case in which an individual has manifested or may reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of psychosis; bipolar disorder; and substance dependence within the previous two years as defined in FAR 67.307(4).

e: never mind, looked back at your post history and it looks like you did actually go in and get rejected. :negative:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
My new instructor is indeed good (in fact, I think in many ways she's better than my other instructor was, so far), and I am finished with review. I don't have my PPL privileges back quite yet, but I will as soon as we do instrument work and night cross-country for my night rating, which means that I actually get to start doing stuff I've never done before starting next week.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Yes, CPZ (it's CPZ or CP, not CZ) is the gayest airline. As soon as I upgrade (jan or feb) 5 out of the 68 captains in Seattle will be gay and that's just the ones I know about. Heck yeah. Been plenty of fun overnights.

As for headset talk... how did nobody mention the uflymic yet, I absolutely love mine and it's great for commuting or deadheads as well, just all around awesomeness and ridiculously cheap. I hear it's even better with harmony and the qc25 since it doesn't die when you run out of batteries.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

The Slaughter posted:

Yes, CPZ (it's CPZ or CP, not CZ) is the gayest airline. As soon as I upgrade (jan or feb) 5 out of the 68 captains in Seattle will be gay and that's just the ones I know about. Heck yeah. Been plenty of fun overnights.

I was going to apologize about my previous comment but then you had to go and say this:

quote:

As for headset talk... how did nobody mention the uflymic yet, I absolutely love mine and it's great for commuting or deadheads as well, just all around awesomeness and ridiculously cheap. I hear it's even better with harmony and the qc25 since it doesn't die when you run out of batteries.

That setup pisses me off to no end, do you have any idea how many people that I've flown with that have that headset start a conversation, only to start trailing off as the mic slowly drifts down from gravity? My god, just go topless above FL180, at least I can hear you then since the CRJ isn't super noisy up front.

Also isn't in-flight wifi magical? :science: it's just great I can post on the forums at 34000 feet while on a deadhead.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Butt Reactor posted:

Also isn't in-flight wifi magical? :science: it's just great I can post on the forums at 34000 feet while on a deadhead.

poo poo yeah :iia:

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured

Butt Reactor posted:

I was going to apologize about my previous comment but then you had to go and say this:

That setup pisses me off to no end, do you have any idea how many people that I've flown with that have that headset start a conversation, only to start trailing off as the mic slowly drifts down from gravity?

I haven't had this problem but I have to say I'm not terribly satisfied with the uflymike. The microphone isn't very good, I don't think it's sensitive enough and the cord is unusually heavy for such a small device. Plus, it's not reversible which is minor but aggravating. Still, the Bose headphones have excellent ANR and not having to carry those plus a regular headset is nice.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
You can adjust the mic gain. And you should or usually it's too loud. Not sure about us users drifting off into space tho. I'm not going topless in the 175, the average noise level in the cockpit is about 92db. gently caress that.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
TIL that if you've been suffering from a cold for a few days, even if you wake up feeling awesome the day you're booked to fly, you might not want to.

Ow my ears.

Still good to be back in the saddle after too many weeks off.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Please, to any future pilots, please do not fly with any cold or allergies or stuffiness that is beyond the 'normal' for you. My dad swears that he blew his hearing out flying with a head cold one day.

I've done it a few times and I'm always always ALWAYS miserable for a day or two after.

(seems to always happen around christmas when i want to descend quickly through a layer and get my ears stuck in a pressure cooker)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Also if your stomach hurts, don't got flying. It leads to you bursting your own appendix when you have a hard landing.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Ya I thought I was 100% good to go because I woke up feeling so good I put 30K on my bike before flying and I was just a smidge more sniffly than normal. A good gulp on the way up and a hold-n-blow equalization on the way down is all I needed but I don't want to blow my ears apart.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

TIL that if you've been suffering from a cold for a few days, even if you wake up feeling awesome the day you're booked to fly, you might not want to.

Ow my ears.

Still good to be back in the saddle after too many weeks off.

It could be worse...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

So, to touch off what I'm sure will be another entertaining holy war: what sort of flashlight should I get and/or what features should I be looking for, as I begin my night rating?

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
Streamlight. Red lens. Fin.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

VOR LOC posted:

Streamlight. Red lens. Fin.

Any particular model? It looks like the local pilot supply store has several (no red lenses that I can see on the website, though).

VOR LOC
Dec 8, 2007
captured
I have a strion (sp?) led that's rechargeable and bright enough to blind you, if you can't find a red lens take a clear one and mark it up with red sharpie.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I was on Citalopram for a year for slight anxiety (as my family doctor eloquently and pretty accurately put it to the FAA, "a minor, isolated anxiety event which has been resolved") from the combination of a) general bullshit, b) finishing my Capstone, c) ironically enough, the decision to abandon flying as a career and "gently caress, am I doing the right thing?". I never flew while on the medicine, but had to fess up a year after I stopped using it when I got a new Medical last Summer after deciding "Yeah, things turned out alright and I'd like to maybe go flying again if I ever get time for a BFR". Fortunately, my AME is really drat good and told me "Get a letter from your doctor, have him send it to me, and we'll see what we can do."

I was deferred for ^that^ and mild Sleep Apnea, which the AME himself diagnosed, treated, proved to be cured after a second sleep study, and dealt with the FAA over. After a month, I got my medical, with a letter stating "Please be reminded you are to conduct yourself as a pilot in compliance with the terms of FAR Part 61."

The Slaughter posted:

I saw the earlier post about the gay pilot expo and "I don't fly for CPZ" and found it interesting because a friend of mine is a straight Compass pilot who went to the same event last year to pass out resumes in spite of his sexuality. Common thing?

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004

Captain Apollo posted:

Please, to any future pilots, please do not fly with any cold or allergies or stuffiness that is beyond the 'normal' for you. My dad swears that he blew his hearing out flying with a head cold one day.

I've done it a few times and I'm always always ALWAYS miserable for a day or two after.

(seems to always happen around christmas when i want to descend quickly through a layer and get my ears stuck in a pressure cooker)

I flew a medivac the day I booked back on thinking I was fine and I sure as a hit wasn't. Paramedics ended up dealing with me instead. Felt like my eyes popped out the front of my face.

Desi
Jul 5, 2007
This.
Changes.
EVERYTHING.

PT6A posted:

So, to touch off what I'm sure will be another entertaining holy war: what sort of flashlight should I get and/or what features should I be looking for, as I begin my night rating?

I've done about 8 or 9 night ratings now, and before I've started any of them I've sent the student to the local Canadian Tire to buy a generic LED headlamp that has a red light. I'm still using some random Energizer one myself that I got ~4ish years ago. You look like a total doofus but its the best way to do it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
loving Batman would look like a gigantic idiot with one of those headlights on. There's just no getting around just how retarded they look.

That being said, the Petzl TACTIKKA XP Headlamp is one I own and it's awesome because it's the only one I've ever seen where the red filter is an actual physical filter, not a setting. I've never turned that thing on and blinded myself because I hosed up the secret headlamp hand shake and had it come on in full white mode, unlike everyone else I know with a different lamp.

They're discontinued but some places still carry them.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
Random energizer el cheap from Lowe's is what I recommend. Mine has one red setting and three white settings. Beats the gently caress out of changing lenses after preflight. Or changing lenses at all. Nothing says FOD like a little red lens somewhere in the cockpit.

Also, never ever fly if you're sick or can't clear your ears. You're asking to blow a sinus or gently caress up your ears.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

CBJSprague24 posted:

I saw the earlier post about the gay pilot expo and "I don't fly for CPZ" and found it interesting because a friend of mine is a straight Compass pilot who went to the same event last year to pass out resumes in spite of his sexuality. Common thing?

It's pretty common for people to attend job fairs for the butt-kissing of major airlines they want to get hired at.

Women In Aviation, the Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals, and the National Gay Pilots Association all run job fairs (since they're great money makers), and it's kind of hilarious that most of the attendees are the exact same straight white dudes wearing almost identical suits.

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.

azflyboy posted:

It's pretty common for people to attend job fairs for the butt-kissing of major airlines they want to get hired at.

Women In Aviation, the Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals, and the National Gay Pilots Association all run job fairs (since they're great money makers), and it's kind of hilarious that most of the attendees are the exact same straight white dudes wearing almost identical suits.

Hence why I'm refusing to do that garbage, I'll go to a job fair sponsored by UAL or Delta however since that's the primary goal of those gatherings. Unless you're gay, female and/or Black you probably shouldn't show up to an event solely to escape your mediocre regional career and ignore the true purpose of why those conferences are organized in the first place.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
So I had a good talk with the company I'm using for interview prep this morning... great insight into the differences in each airline. She thinks my hours/resume will be competitive about mid 2017 at the rate people are being hired - which is great because I'm looking at a late 2017 separation. One thing she said I really need to do is narrow down my top airline choices, I am really struggling to do that.

Exciting times in aviation, and how amazingly different from 10 years ago!

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Okay. Who is your short list?

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE
I don't know how much I want to post here, you know with internet detectives and HR recruiting departments and all.... so PM'd!

All great options though!

xaarman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 8, 2016

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

Just a friendly reminder to shut the gently caress up about politics in the cockpit. My current captain won't and this is going to be a looooooong day.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

Just a friendly reminder to shut the gently caress up about politics in the cockpit. My current captain won't and this is going to be a looooooong day.

Just tell him. After I stared doing 7+ hour flights I learned you just have to tell them. "I'm personally tired of politics, would you mind if we don't talk about it?"

If he insists, go quiet and only do the briefings and checklists. Tune him out.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!
A couple days after receiving my UAS license in the mail I disappeared from the online airmen database. Should I be worried?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

RE: Political captain

I had to resort to the nuclear option:

"Are you ever going to call for the auto pilot on?"
"Not until you stop gloating about Trump."

...and for the next 45 minutes not a single unnecessary word was said. I'm awaiting the call from pro standards.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
God I'm glad my current other pilot has the same relative views as me. Even then we just don't talk about it because he isn't nuts.

My last job it was all pro-child-labor, carpet bombing civilian families in the Middle East and Obama coming to his house to take his kid's feet away.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
We have a base in Idaho, so I get to fly with a bunch of nutcase militia types, including at least one guy who got reported to the Secret Service for threatening to shoot Obama.

KodiakRS posted:

"Are you ever going to call for the auto pilot on?"
"Not until you stop gloating about Trump."

...and for the next 45 minutes not a single unnecessary word was said. I'm awaiting the call from pro standards.

As someone who is on a pro standards committee, that's utterly hilarious.

I tend to stick with a rule of "politics and religion don't belong on the flight deck", which generally works pretty well.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 10, 2016

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
What the gently caress else are you going to talk about or do on the deck? Take pictures of your dong at FL40?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

SeaborneClink posted:

What the gently caress else are you going to talk about or do on the deck? Take pictures of your dong at FL40?

Well we can't all fly for British Airways now.

• Locked thread