Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can't get it under 10kb :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Delivery McGee posted:

Yeah, I meant "while I was away", pretty sure there was a black guy with a part-time Cup ride this century. Or maybe just a white guy with a traditionally-black name, he was bad enough he didn't rate an in-car camera.

That would be Bill Lester

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Bubba Wallace Jr, live interview: "yeah it's loose, I'm just chasing the rear end end around everywhere"

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Jay Robinson is the jackman on the 70 car in the NXS race today.

Also, in case you forgot Ken Schrader rules:
https://twitter.com/TheBuzzerOnFOX/status/794980971669901312

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
https://twitter.com/NASCARONFOX/status/795028313328807936

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Matt DiWhatshisname is out tomorrow with a concussion. They'll all be sitting soon.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
Jr's driving again.
https://twitter.com/Amy_Reimann/status/795263976200404992

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Well folks I"m going to call it.. see that emblem on the steering wheel? It's a Buick, he's retired folks.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

dale jarrett with a beard

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Chase Elliott has the flu but will start the race. Justin Allgaier standing by to get in if Elliott wants/needs out.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

CBJSprague24 posted:

Chase Elliott has the flu but will start the race. Justin Allgaier standing by to get in if Elliott wants/needs out.

what's worse for the crew, vomit in the car or having Chase drive it until he gets sick and you have to clean it

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

VikingSkull posted:

what's worse for the crew, vomit in the car or having Chase drive it until he gets sick and you have to clean it

Imagine puking inside your full face helmet. Eesh.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Remembering the clusterfuck restart at Martinsville, did anyone ever provide an explanation for why some cars went around the leader for the wave around? Or did that pretty much get buried?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

fuseshock posted:

Remembering the clusterfuck restart at Martinsville, did anyone ever provide an explanation for why some cars went around the leader for the wave around? Or did that pretty much get buried?

what happened at Martinsville is a whole bunch of teams didn't let NASCAR just fix the poo poo

they caught the mistake and were sorting it out but like a typical short track race everyone was on the radio protesting poo poo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I've got free tickets to go see the race today at Texas Motor Speedway, but I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to leave now and wait through whatever rain delay is left.

I've never been to NASCAR race before, so I'm kinda on the fence. How are night races?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I've got free tickets to go see the race today at Texas Motor Speedway, but I'm wondering if it'd be worth it to leave now and wait through whatever rain delay is left.

I've never been to NASCAR race before, so I'm kinda on the fence. How are night races?

Go. It's worth doing once if nothing else. There will probably be fewer fans than there were earlier today, as some might've given up. The track has no rubber laid down because of the rain, so that will provide a variable for a while. Night races are fun.

Take ear plugs.

Also, go NOW, because they're firing the engines having the drivers go to their cars in about 10 minutes, which means a start is soon.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 7, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

what channel is this on now?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

wicka posted:

NBCSN/NBC Live Extra.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

wicka posted:

NBCSN

Shinjobi posted:

Definitely go.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

If you haven't gone yet and were on the fence, still go. You might miss the start (depending on how far away you are), but this'll be going for three hours at least and there'll almost certainly be a competition caution around lap 25, which will give you a start to the race of sorts.

(e- Maybe rent a scanner if you want a companion to the race.) Let us know what you think.

You might even get free parking if it's anything like last year's Coke Zero 400 where the parking attendants said screw it and went home. I don't know how TMS does parking.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Nov 7, 2016

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm here. 2 dollar earplugs, and holy poo poo. I've watched a handful of bits and pieces of races before, but tv really doesn't do the speed justice. These things are flying.

Still not sure if NASCAR is my cup of tea, but I don't regret coming out here. Start of the race was pretty nifty.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Shinjobi posted:

I'm here. 2 dollar earplugs, and holy poo poo. I've watched a handful of bits and pieces of races before, but tv really doesn't do the speed justice. These things are flying.

Still not sure if NASCAR is my cup of tea, but I don't regret coming out here. Start of the race was pretty nifty.

Auto racing is definitely a "be there" kind of spectator sport.

There's two levels of understanding a NASCAR (or oval of any kind) race. The first one is casual, or going to see it live. If you know nothing and go, it will rule. If you're casual and just watch it on TV, you don't get the whole thing. Stage two of being a fan is being hooked by the live racing and learning the ins and outs of why exactly it isn't just simply going fast and turning left.

That part takes some work on your part, but there's an underlying complexity to something that should be simple that really gets lost if you watch it casually.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

VikingSkull posted:

Auto racing is definitely a "be there" kind of spectator sport.

There's two levels of understanding a NASCAR (or oval of any kind) race. The first one is casual, or going to see it live. If you know nothing and go, it will rule. If you're casual and just watch it on TV, you don't get the whole thing. Stage two of being a fan is being hooked by the live racing and learning the ins and outs of why exactly it isn't just simply going fast and turning left.

That part takes some work on your part, but there's an underlying complexity to something that should be simple that really gets lost if you watch it casually.

Very well said. For me, racing and hockey are the 2 sports where it is better in person than on TV. Also, both seem to require more than just showing up to get past the initial "wow" factor. I asked my cousin if he wanted to go to the local short track with me this summer. His response, "Why? It's just cars driving in circles." Still working on him.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Kick rear end. :hfive:

In addition to what Viking said, you've picked a decent time of year to watch a handful of races to get more of an idea of how the sport works and if it's your thing- it's how I became a fan. The first race I watched was the last race in 1995, after which I forgot about it for a while (I was 8) and picked NASCAR back up for good with 5-6 races to go in 1996. There's so much more to it than meets the eye. If you go again, you'll have to look into "graduating" to a scanner or RaceView rental- you might even pick a driver or two to listen to the next time out.

In terms of Goon interaction and learning from others, we do live chats (#nascar on SynIRC) & will likely be doing Goon-watches of all kinds of old races from different series (NASCAR, Indy, lots of dirt track stuff, sometimes drag racing) in our CyTube channel in the off-season.

e- Another pretty remarkable thing with regard to how fast they actually go- Chase Elliott (#24) is running those speeds with the flu.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Nov 7, 2016

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
The only times I've seen poo poo that was actually fast was a NASCAR race and the shinkansen passing through a station. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SNlG_2sFXc

Both of them look like eh until you walk 10 feet away from the straight and they blow by. NASCAR is a bit cheaper though.

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
If you want real HOLY loving poo poo factor, go to NHRA and be anywhere in the stands during top fuel and funny car. That poo poo is no loving joke.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Silver Spoon Kid"

the stupidest possible nickname

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Nov 7, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Carl goes from worst to Homestead. Logano, Kyle, Kenseth, Hamlin separated by three points going into Phoenix. :suspense:

I forgot to switch the RCR cars into my lineup for the race and wound up 1-3-4-11 with 19-78-24-48. So that's cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Racing is also likely the only sport with a very real chance of fans being injured or getting killed.

No one wants that, but it certainly adds an allure other sports don't have if you're an adrenaline junky like I am.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

Racing is also likely the only sport with a very real chance of fans being injured or getting killed.

No one wants that, but it certainly adds an allure other sports don't have if you're an adrenaline junky like I am.

I think more fans have died at major league baseball games than have at NASCAR races over the last 50 years

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VikingSkull posted:

an adrenaline junky like I am.

For full disclosure, "adrenaline junkie" is misleading. Viking could be described as being obsessed with racing related deaths. I don't think anyone could describe with as much depth or morbid detail as Viking can about any terrible crash.

exploding mummy posted:

I think more fans have died at major league baseball games than have at NASCAR races over the last 50 years

I don't have time to find the numbers (but numbers are my thing, so I'll come back with them later), but you are almost certainly correct that more people have died in the 120,000+ baseball games from baseballs to the head than in the 3,351 Top 3 tiers of NASCAR races. Though including the lower NASCAR sanctioned series might bring it closer to even.

However, that includes from 1965 until the mid 80s, so I wouldn't be too surprised if NASCAR did beat foul balls to the head.

Slickdrac fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

exploding mummy posted:

I wasn't talking NASCAR exclusively

Slickdrac posted:

For full disclosure, "adrenaline junkie" is misleading. Viking could be described as being obsessed with racing related deaths. I don't think anyone could describe with as much depth or morbid detail as Viking can about any terrible crash.

I'm LASTCAR but without the humanity

e- to be fair I haven't posted "Google (man who shall not be named)" in quite some time to a new person so I'm making progress lol

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Nov 7, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm very curious to see if MLB + NASCAR combined totals have more spectator death than the 1955 Le Mans

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm very curious to see if MLB + NASCAR combined totals have more spectator death than the 1955 Le Mans

I don't believe they do.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

It is surprisingly difficult to find spectator death statistics for MLB. The best I could find was from 1900-2000 there were 35 confirmed cases, MLB clubs are very good about covering up deaths somehow. Getting away with a corked bat should be child's play in comparison. I'll do some number theory magic, and halve the 35 confirmed for 50 years, and sprinkle a 20% increase for covered up deaths. Fortunately, there's been incredibly few cases of baseball to the head deaths. Unfortunately, most of the deaths are from rowdy fans, or poo poo stadiums collapsing. I couldn't find any good breakdowns, so I'll just use wild rear end adjustments statistics, and call MLB with 21 deaths

NASCAR is actually really good about reporting fan injuries and deaths (it seems). Racing in general has a kinda ugly history of fan deaths, 2-3 a year of fan deaths from purely racing related accidents. But NASCAR has been either been very good (and VERY lucky) with them, or they put the MLB to shame in hiding them. Because there's no spectator deaths from racing incidents that I could find anywhere that were NASCAR premier series events, and only four at the track otherwise, 2 mysterious ones, one from lightning lightning, and self inflicted gunshot wound (obviously at Texas). I'll assume there's some from back before constant coverage, but maybe at most about 10?

Driver deaths are a whole different story, and NASCAR beats the pants off of baseball in athlete deaths. Rate wise though, 10 deaths in 3300 events is .3% compared to .01% for baseball.

Combined 31 over 50 years is nothing to the 50+ at Le Mans, no. But across all US racing alone it tallies up to over 500 racetrack deaths just in the last 25 years (drivers, fans, crew)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And then there's isle of Mann...

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Far more than 10 drivers have been killed in NASCAR races lol

e- 28 in Grand National/Cup alone

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Wasn't the 55 LeMans like 80 plus deaths?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Norns posted:

Wasn't the 55 LeMans like 80 plus deaths?

80 or more, they don't really know, yes.

e- worst spectator accident in the US was at Syracuse in like 1908, 11 IIRC, Barney Oldfield was driving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

Far more than 10 drivers have been killed in NASCAR races lol

22 by my count in the last 50 years in the top 3 series

+3 crewmen

• Locked thread