Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

ToastyPotato posted:

As an executive producer, his involvement can actually vary greatly. That is like one of the most loosely defined titles in showbiz. I've never seen him described as (or ever describe his work similarly too) Kevin Feige with respect to Marvel Studios, which is more of what I meant. I know he is basically one of, if not THE Marvel TV guy, in title at least, but I have just never seen anything regarding his actual work on the TV stuff the way there are tons of constant articles and interviews that show exactly how Kevin Feige is steering his ship. My suspicion is that Marvel TV, still being under the thumb of Marvel corporate, probably doesn't afford Loeb the ability to run things the way Feige does. He could be a glorified rubberstamp middle man who occasionally passes down mandates from further up the chain.

Hypothetically you're not wrong, but I've personally heard people who've worked on the Netflix Marvel shows talk about Loeb being very involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Loeb redeemed himself with his brief run on Nova. It was very clear that he had finally dealt with the loss of his own son and the creation of Sam Alexander showed that. He did some raw, lovely things during the period between (the way he got the Fallen Son gig) but he's been showing signs that he's happy and doing well. He was at the Legion panel at NYCC and many people noted a warmth coming from him that had been missing for years.

John Byrne can still eat a Galactus sized dick though.

Jeph Loeb's love for super heroes can only be rivaled by Mark Waid, and maybe Geoff Johns on a good day. Loeb is the right guy for his position. I know it's fun to rag on the lovely books he's made, but him and Tim Sale can remind you why you spend so much money on this stupid hobby.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't even like the "good" books Loeb's written, and let's not forget he's the reason Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes had to die a horrible death. But he's definitely doing something right on the Netflix side of things.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Misty Knight, Karen Page, Jeri Hogarth, Foggy, and Malcolm will be in Defenders.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Tuning in for Foggy and Misty

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
They've also got a set photo with Misty and Jessica here.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Hope Foggy and Misty do it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Three more to the cast. All were pretty much expected anyway considering who else is showing up.

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/793814947301986304

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Two great friends and the worst dad.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I do not need another season of Foggy whining about all of the superheroing going on around him.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Definitely looking forward to seeing more Trish and as little as possible of Big Haired Dopey guy from Jessica Jones. Also can't wait to see Foggy freak out even more with all the heroes.

I actually like Misty Knight a lot at the beginning of Luke Cage and less and less as the series progressed...hopefully they do something interesting with her.

Also looking forward to the Jessica and Claire catfight over Luke

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

I do not need another season of Foggy whining about all of the superheroing going on around him.
If they didn't learn that from season 2, then they've learnt nothing at all.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Foggy is only there for the sex appeal.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I want a shot for shot remake of the sex scene from Luke Cage episode 1 but with Foggy replacing him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Only an extremely cynical person would describe what TV Daredevil does as heroing, super or not.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

greatn posted:

I want a shot for shot remake of the sex scene from Luke Cage episode 1 but with Foggy replacing him.

Foggy and Matt. C'mon we all know that's there.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Colleen Wing confirmed for Defenders.

https://twitter.com/TheDefenders/status/794177340657930241

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
SHIELD moved the plot forward quite a bit this week, so as punishment, we get a FOUR WEEK hiatus. Feels Great.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ToastyPotato posted:

SHIELD moved the plot forward quite a bit this week, so as punishment, we get a FOUR WEEK hiatus. Feels Great.

It could be worse, last night's episode of The Good Place ended with a commercial stating the show would be back in January.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

SHIELD was really quite good this week. I like the guy playing Robbie a lot, and the origin was great. I'm glad they just got everything out in the open with his brother.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lurdiak posted:

Only an extremely cynical person would describe what TV Daredevil does as heroing, super or not.

I think it's the other way around. Karen is pretty far from cynical and she thinks the world of him. The Punisher is the definition of cynical and he thinks he's worthless up until the very end.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SHIELD this season is pretty good, but the scheduling is terrible. They had 2 "bridge" episodes that were there to set up the dramatic next episode and had a 2-week break between them. Now, they finally hit the major climax and there's a month long break.

The bridge episodes wouldn't be bad, but when it takes 4 weeks to get from the setup to the payoff, it makes it feel way worse.

Season 4 also continues the trend of having the guest stars for the season be 4x more interesting than the main cast. John Hannah, The New SHIELD Director, and Ghost Rider are really great.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Yeah. Presidential debates, presidential election, dancing with the Stars finale. So many interruptions.

I'm not sure what the reason is for the hiatus that isn't the week of the election or dancing. Assume some kind of awards show?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Maybe they're just spacing it out because they don't have mid-season Agent Carter anymore.

:smith:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

Maybe they're just spacing it out because they don't have mid-season Agent Carter anymore.

That's exactly what they're doing. It's what they did in season 1 before Carter too.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

irlZaphod posted:

Or that they don't care about it and are just letting it run to hit the magic syndication numbers before canning it. Four seasons is a pretty good run for modern TV.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or that they don't care about it and are just letting it run to hit the magic syndication numbers before canning it. Four seasons is a pretty good run for modern TV.

It's still the highest rated non-Shondaland show on ABC.

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

I'll be genuinely sad when AoS is gone at the end of this season. Coulson is so much fun to watch, especially when he's on screen with Mac. Simmons' and Fitz's progression has been great and felt totally natural. Mac and his shotgun ax will never get old, and Ghost Rider has been a surprisingly good addition. The season 2+3 finales were exceptional as well. I'm hoping it'll get to a fifth season and tie up nicely, but even with solid +3 and +7 numbers, I'm doubtful.

To me, AoS feels like an actiony, Marvel version of Star Trek: TNG. A wise leader with a dependable second in commend, both of whom want to do right , travel around in their ship having adventures in far away places. Non-American science team, black physical muscle, and now we've got an android character who is going to spend a while learning about being human.

But yeah: I am kinda done with the inhuman stuff. Especially since GR/LMDs are wide open plot points.

Ireallylikeeggs fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 4, 2016

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
There's probably a decent chance for S5. I think 5 would definitely be the last though.

They are already in syndication so the extra episodes should pay off to some degree for some time.

I do wonder if it is possible for any of these characters to transition to film after the show is cancelled however. Would be cool to see May or Quake in supporting minor roles.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

I think it's the other way around. Karen is pretty far from cynical and she thinks the world of him. The Punisher is the definition of cynical and he thinks he's worthless up until the very end.

What I mean is that Daredevil's outings are 90% breaking bones and stirring poo poo and 10% actually helping anyone. That's what Foggy is against. If he was unilaterally doing good like, say, Luke Cage, it wouldn't be such an issue. But mostly he just gets his rear end kicked and injures people. Especially in Season 2.

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

What I mean is that Daredevil's outings are 90% breaking bones and stirring poo poo and 10% actually helping anyone. That's what Foggy is against. If he was unilaterally doing good like, say, Luke Cage, it wouldn't be such an issue. But mostly he just gets his rear end kicked and injures people. Especially in Season 2.

I think they just gloss over or leave out a lot of the humdrum stuff he does. In season 1 he saves a bunch of women from becoming sex slaves and they dedicate a whole episode to him rescuing a kidnapped boy. He also saves Karen from getting assassinated. Granted, he does get his rear end kicked and does injure people in all of those endeavors. He gets started because he has to listen to a little girl being abused by her father day in and day out. It's obviously vigilantism, but it's not like he's completely unsympathetic here.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm aware that Foggy is right when you look at things from our real world perspective. Unfortunately Foggy lives in a universe where what Matt's doing works and Foggy is absolutely wrong. And even above all of that kayfabe stuff, it's just super not fun to watch a whiny character on television. Especially when that character is trying to rage against the central premise of that particular series.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Holy poo poo this week's Legends was offensive and in poor taste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

greatn posted:

Holy poo poo this week's Legends was offensive and in poor taste.

Yeah it was pretty loving amazing.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
Dare I ask how?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They went back to the Civil War and race stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Dare I ask how?

Slavery and stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Plus generally any time Caity Lotz tries to act it's offensive.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
......jesus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I just like that their mission statement is to prevent people from loving with time, but every solution they have had so far has basically directly hosed with time anyway. They never actually try to undo damage. Time traveler infects the Confederate army with zombie plague? Help General Grant defeat a zombie horde! Also free a bunch of slaves and let a plantation burn as a result of a separate zombie attack. Also, they just flat out never recovered the pilot from the craft right? Just left him and whatever future poo poo he had on his person just chill with the confederates he eventually infected? Or did I miss where they found him?