Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
sssshhh that just means it'll come out any day now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
That's awesome news, I won't even care if it's still 1.7.10.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I haven't actually updated past 1.7.10 because I'm awful

What are the mythical lands of 1.8, 1.9, and 1.10 like?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Magres posted:

I haven't actually updated past 1.7.10 because I'm awful

What are the mythical lands of 1.8, 1.9, and 1.10 like?

Thermal Expansion never updated, so there are basically no tech mods. Thaumcraft has a 1.8 version that's really cool, and streamlined quite a bit from the 1.7.10 version. Mods are kinda spread out across 1.8 and 1.10, though a lot of the ones that made the leap from 1.7 to 1.8 ended up getting into 1.10 too.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Thermal Expansion never updated, so there are basically no tech mods. Thaumcraft has a 1.8 version that's really cool, and streamlined quite a bit from the 1.7.10 version. Mods are kinda spread out across 1.8 and 1.10, though a lot of the ones that made the leap from 1.7 to 1.8 ended up getting into 1.10 too.

Mekanism, EnderIO, and Immersive Engineering made it to 1.10. Refined Storage is a good AE1 replacement for 1.10 while AE2 has just made it to 1.10 within the last couple of weeks.

I know that Thermal Expansion was the gold standard in 1.6.4 and 1.7.10, but saying there are no tech mods is just nonsense, and until/unless KingLemming returns to rapture us all to tech nod heaven it's time to move on.

Fortis fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Nov 3, 2016

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah, my 1.10.2 modpack has Mekanism, EnderIO, Immerisive Engineering, RFTools & Refined Storage for a decent selection of tech mods, plus a load of more magic-themed ones. I miss Thermal Expansion and MFR but hey, just means I've had to play around with other mods to see what I can do differently.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also the core game is really improved in a lot of ways, and the mod Quark improves upon basic vanilla functions even further. So many quality of life tweaks, especially.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

In short, yes, 1.7.10 oversaw the greatest level of development on the mod and forge side of things, the birth, life, and death of several mods, and not quite but almost 3 loving years of time.

It is hard to move on because quite a few people never played anything before, weren't around for things like beta Minefactory and IC1, 1.2.5's glorious reign of 9 months (jesus gently caress we all thought this was long once upon a time), the IC2 abandonment wave, the rise of ThermEx and the Technic spitfights and ragefests. This was a lot of people's introduction and general place of enjoyment for modded MC.

But in the end, please

Don't be Rootin-Tootin Tex Mex.

Let that poo poo go, it's a wait at first, but things fill in, and new stuff takes the place of holes, it already happened once.

Just embrace the 1.10, and leave 1.7.10 to it's rest.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Magres posted:

Other way to do it that takes a little more prep work is to go adventuring and get Botania going, duplicate a ton of Redstone for some maxed out haste gloves, make a manasteel hammer, and smash your way around faster than the blight can catch up.
Don't worry about hints. This is my second Blightfall rodeo. I was working on the gloves last night before I complained about mining. It's just that redstone is still comparatively rare for how uninteresting it is to mine. I only got about 120 redstone on the glove before I ran out. My speedup did exceed 1.0, but I ultimately need to be able to hammer faster with the augmentations than a pick mines without them.

The process of getting the glove going is an example of something I actually find interesting and why I play modded. I needed leather, and I lost the cow lottery this time in my base. I am not mining so I haven't gotten enough prometheum to black market myself some cows, and I wasn't convinced I'd get a breeding pair from the supplier very easily. I could have used the reputation from exploring and I needed to get more ethereal blooms and random stuff, so I set up a trip. I managed to get some one-use safari nets in the provider lottery, so I took three with me on the way from the mountain lake to the spires. I ran into some cows on tree leaves and snagged them before they turned. Boom. I reached the spires, got my rep, stole the things, dealt with the super happy fun thing there, and got back to base.

I do have bloodwood, but I don't get that much redstone from growing those trees. It's also tedious to deal with the leaves. I should just add veinminer and fast leaf decay.

I got the cows going while tending to some other poo poo, and my fisher rig popped out another leather. I set up the fisher with a battery as a backup to give me plastic bags that might have cow eggs in them. It's also a nice diet boost and plastic generator. So I got my glove between that, knocking out two cows, and the leather I already had. I only had a stack of redstone so I had to go back down in the hole. And then it got boring. There was some cleared areas where I had already expanded out overhead, and I managed to extract some general stuff in there, but I did not got anywhere near enough redstone.

Now that I'm playing it again, and having done BFSR, there are a few things I think would have been done to improve the pack for single-player:
1. Put a Jaded Amaranthus in 2-3 scout locations and focused on that over the botania flower scanning plot line. I think that plot line is hilarious, but it puts Botania on the far end of the progression for a pack where it's very useful. Being able to really use it is still out of the question to new players because they won't know what it really is until they can get the Lexica Botania up. I mean, they could do a lot of searching online, but they would inevitably be able to do that for Blightfall in general. The black lotuses that show up as well as the pure daisies would give enough to be able to start servicing that plant and get a few starting flowers. The flower locations would be a backup if the player runs out of mana before getting everything, and those locations could have other resources. Alternately, the flowers to at least make a daybloom or nightshade should be available at most locations. That is enough to get a taste for that mod just from that.

2. Make the mineral-rich areas actually mineral-rich. It was very disappointing that the odds were just slightly-improved.

3. Make the one ore in each biome very ridiculous. I know it kind of does that already, but I mean that there should be a strong incentive to go there to find things.

4. Walk through some of the Thaumcraft stuff, as opposed to fixating on the ethereal blooms For example, I think one of the optional flower scanning quests should be delivering a shock focus to Dr. Sprouse. That and emphasize the alchemy research. Maybe it does, but I haven't really cleared the hump in the quest book and forgot what showed up from the first time I played.

5. Put a few harvestcraft crops in some of the scout locations, or add abandoned farm scout locations. Relying on the lottery to not starve to death is going to ultimately really frustrate somebody. This time around, I just keep rolling in egpplants, almond trees, and pistachios. I need tomato and spice leaves to really expand the diet. Milk is also an issue, but they did set up a few ways to get to it. I know that spice leaves are hidden around, but I never saw others. It is nice that the berry bushes do show up around scout locations; they each basically yield a unique berry, juice, jelly, and a smoothie.

6. Have an abandoned place that had a golems to do a basic farm. They don't need to explain what they do, just have them. Alternately, it's a scout location that triggers another quest that starts to explain them.

Generally, I think despite the drat game being called "Minecraft," it's in a better place if the player doesn't have to start at a bunch of stone, bang on it, stare at more stone, bang on it, etc. It could be better if the game just had more variety underground. I don't think there's a good concoction of mods to really make the underground interesting enough. For Blightfall, all I can think to do is to have spots stuck underground near scout locations that have a little more interest. A player that had interest in mining each biome--due to each biome having a very high rate of some ore--will stumble into them.

Fortis posted:

Mekanism, EnderIO, and Immersive Engineering made it to 1.10. Refined Storage is a good AE1 replacement for 1.10 while AE2 has just made it to 1.10 within the last couple of weeks.

I know that Thermal Expansion was the gold standard in 1.6.4 and 1.7.10, but saying there are no tech mods is just nonsense, and until/unless KingLemming returns to rapture us all to tech nod heaven it's time to move on.

Ahh AE2 has joined the fray? I looked at Refined Storage, but it didn't look like it had all the comical automation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Replaying Minecraft for the slow times at work.
What I'm looking for:

I play WAY too much FO4 and I'm hoping to recreate it a bit. Are there mods that offer auto turrets and increase monster spawns at night?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Ahh AE2 has joined the fray? I looked at Refined Storage, but it didn't look like it had all the comical automation.
Refined Storage is fantastic and definitely has all the automation you can hope for; the only thing it doesn't have is the ability to hide your terminals in tree trunks.

I'm really liking a lot of 1.10 mods; specifically, Roots is a fun early game magic mod, and Actually Additions kind of takes the place of a lot of MineFactory Reloaded features, except with less "automatically do things" blocks and more "coffee brewing potions for food."

1.10 also has a way more fun Tinker's Construct, with no superpowered ranged weapons, some nice quality of life improvements (like accessing all Tinkers crafting machine tables at once from tabs at the top) and some loving brilliant additions (slime boots/slime sling transport will never get old). I'm really liking the state of 1.10 at the moment.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
I am back with another request for pack recommendations... I have given up on the idea of a Pokemon centered pack, due to horrible interaction with the most promising pack, and it's forced launcher -- I'm looking at you, Void Launcher! It literally forced me to reinstall the launcher and pack every time we started to play. How cool.

Anyhow... now I've found out that my wife wants to do nothing but build, so I'm looking for the best builder's pack. It should have lots of varied building aids and materials. Any suggestions?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

StealthArcher posted:

Just embrace the 1.10, and leave 1.7.10 to it's rest.
1.10 still has some big issues, like load time, and little to no advantage over 1.7.10.

I play 1.10 packs lately, don't get me wrong, but it's understandable that 1.7.10 is still the standard.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine

Khorne posted:

1.10 still has some big issues, like load time, and little to no advantage over 1.7.10.

I play 1.10 packs lately, don't get me wrong, but it's understandable that 1.7.10 is still the standard.

I've had the opposite experience. Once I hit 50 mods in any given 1.7.10 pack I'd have to just do something else after launching the game because the load time was interminable. I mean, the "Ding" mod was developed during the peak of 1.7.10's reign for a reason. 1.10 has been similar, but not as bad, so a lot like 1.6.4 was IIRC. Also 1.7.10 was by far the worst version I've ever dealt with server-wise, terrain generation just MURDERED every 1.7.10 server I ran, no matter what I did. It was also a horrible resource hog in general, and that's compared to 1.2.5, 1.4.7, 1.5.2, and 1.6.4 before it.

I think 1.7.10 is still the standard for the same reason that big packs and servers stuck with 1.6.4 into the early parts of 2013; mods were slow to adopt it, and they have been EXTREMELY slow to adopt 1.8 and beyond. I'm not blaming them for it, but I don't think it has anything to do with 1.10's performance being worse than 1.7.10's, especially considering the advancements Forge has made. poo poo, 1.10 is the first time ever it's been possible to run mods built for a previous MC version (in this case, it's 1.9.4 mods, which can run in 1.10 and 1.10.2 without any issues).

Fortis fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 3, 2016

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
Are there any tips or videos I could get for All The Mods pack? This 1.10 stuff is all very confusing.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Fortis posted:

until/unless KingLemming returns to rapture us all to tech nod heaven it's time to move on.
Doesn't seem likely as he's moved on to modding in Stellaris. I can't blame him, you don't have nearly the level of poo poo community to deal in Stellaris with as opposed to Minecraft.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
1.10 runs fairly well for me but for some reason, as I mentioned a page back or so, I can't host a decent server. 1.8.9 ran great with a bunch of mods but now with even fewer I'm getting a much laggier server, to the extent I even had to cut out EnderIO. Hopefully future versions fix performance further.

Whalley posted:

I'm really liking a lot of 1.10 mods; specifically, Roots is a fun early game magic mod
Roots looks fun but it relies a lot on having a broad variety of flowers, which I never seem to run into, so I'm usually stuck early on with just the wind gust spell and not much else.
E: also a lot of nether materials and even sponges, which are not easy to get.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Leafy Wall posted:

Are there any tips or videos I could get for All The Mods pack? This 1.10 stuff is all very confusing.
This guy here is running through a bunch of different mods; he uses like thirty songs per episode as background in a kinda distracting way, but each episode is devoted to something different in the pack (ie, Refined Storage + Autocrafting, automated empowered canola farming, 4x mekanism ore boosting, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKFeSOMwz2E

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Slime Slingshot in Tinker's 1.10 is amazing, but how can I disable the "moved too quickly" check that stops people in mid-air when they use it? I tried turning on "allow flight" on my server.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

huh, i never knew roots was a thing. i love mods like that

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just booted up Agrarian Skies 2 and... no inventory. Check my backups, no inventory.
Hello Blightfall.

I was probably about 75% of the way through. My whole reason for playing was to force myself to use mods I have never tried.
I liked Thaumcraft and Botania and see myself using them again. I didnt actually see a use for Bloodmagic. My entire time using it was just standing at the altar getting to the next tier.

e: Tried loading up the Hermitcraft Modpack and 40 minutes in and it still hadnt loaded. Guess its a little too much for my laptop.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

OgNar posted:

Just booted up Agrarian Skies 2 and... no inventory. Check my backups, no inventory.
Hello Blightfall.

I was probably about 75% of the way through. My whole reason for playing was to force myself to use mods I have never tried.
I liked Thaumcraft and Botania and see myself using them again. I didnt actually see a use for Bloodmagic. My entire time using it was just standing at the altar getting to the next tier.

e: Tried loading up the Hermitcraft Modpack and 40 minutes in and it still hadnt loaded. Guess its a little too much for my laptop.

Blood Magic gets worlds better once you have a big enough altar to set up a Well of Suffering and put a good mob spawner on it (shove a blood orb into the altar getting LP from the Well of Suffering and you can power basically anything, and there are lots of fun rituals to play with). Notably, the Obsidian Tower is actually one enormous mob spawner. Clean the island and light it, shove a Well of Suffering in the hollow space under the blood altar in it, and enjoy easy LP. Alternately Tainted Soil from activating a Division Sigil makes for pretty much the best mob spawner room possible.

Magres fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 4, 2016

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
I noticed that Infinity Lite for 1.10 is up on the Curse launcher. Anyone know anything about it? Is this meant to be the official FTB Infinity for 1.10, or are they still working on a larger pack?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Devor posted:

I noticed that Infinity Lite for 1.10 is up on the Curse launcher. Anyone know anything about it? Is this meant to be the official FTB Infinity for 1.10, or are they still working on a larger pack?

This is their initial "stable" pack (as opposed to FTB Unstable). In a few months, they'll release Infinity Evolved for 1.10, then a skyblock version a few months after that.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Hey folks, I'm looking to put together a 1.10.2 modpack for a small server I'm running. Anything in particular I need to know? Any notoriously terrible mods I ought to avoid?

Also are there any good mods that would add some extra boss monsters and the like? Would be nice to have a few more things to toss in there than the Ender Dragon and The Wither.

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Captain Fargle posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking to put together a 1.10.2 modpack for a small server I'm running. Anything in particular I need to know? Any notoriously terrible mods I ought to avoid?

Also are there any good mods that would add some extra boss monsters and the like? Would be nice to have a few more things to toss in there than the Ender Dragon and The Wither.

I recommend using the Curse launcher, and here's a list of mods I'm using for my own modpack for my family; feel free to strip it down if you want.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

lolmer posted:

I recommend using the Curse launcher, and here's a list of mods I'm using for my own modpack for my family; feel free to strip it down if you want.

Hi sandalle! :)

Yeah this is a thing I've set up for playing with my sister as way of keeping in touch since she moved away. Can't be a really huge pack or anything because otherwise I'm scared I'll melt her laptop.

EDIT: Any verdict on how Ruins, DecoCraft, Mo Creatures and Pam's Harvestcraft work in 1.10.2?

Captain Fargle fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Nov 6, 2016

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Of those things all I've used is Pam's Harvestcraft and it works just fine, as ever. Cooking for Blockheads similarly works very well.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just had my first issues with doing a bloodwood MFR farm. The trees are blowing away the autonomous activator and/or the harvester at will. I can't remember how I got around this. I've harvested lots of trees this way, so it's hard for me to dismiss it as an issue of just luck.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just had my first issues with doing a bloodwood MFR farm. The trees are blowing away the autonomous activator and/or the harvester at will. I can't remember how I got around this. I've harvested lots of trees this way, so it's hard for me to dismiss it as an issue of just luck.
When the trees grow they overwrite any blocks that are in their path. The trick is to place them outside of the tree's growth range.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Khorne posted:

When the trees grow they overwrite any blocks that are in their path. The trick is to place them outside of the tree's growth range.

That's a tough trick with the autonomous activator because it has to be right next to the netherrack. It looks like every other time I've done this, I've put the gear on the south and west sides. I think the tree expands out north and east. I just flipped the gear around a little bit and got a few trees through just fine.

I couldn't figure it out from the Natura source code when I tried to peek at it, but I was relieved to see they're working on getting it out on 1.10.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

That's a tough trick with the autonomous activator because it has to be right next to the netherrack. It looks like every other time I've done this, I've put the gear on the south and west sides. I think the tree expands out north and east. I just flipped the gear around a little bit and got a few trees through just fine.

I couldn't figure it out from the Natura source code when I tried to peek at it, but I was relieved to see they're working on getting it out on 1.10.

First put the sapling/netherrack where you want it to grow, wait for it to grow, THEN put in the Autonomous activator and the harvester AROUND the bloodwood, THEN chop down the bloodwood.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Fun trick, you can put the autonomous activator ABOVE the netherrack. Just have it target downwards. It'll magically place the sapling right through the block.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Captain Fargle posted:

Hi sandalle! :)

Yeah this is a thing I've set up for playing with my sister as way of keeping in touch since she moved away. Can't be a really huge pack or anything because otherwise I'm scared I'll melt her laptop.

EDIT: Any verdict on how Ruins, DecoCraft, Mo Creatures and Pam's Harvestcraft work in 1.10.2?

Unless you have a beast machine, I don't recommend DecoCraft. Mo Creatures is interesting but ultimately adds way too many fluff entities and had some seriously bullshit moves in the form of Ogres which will routinely Kool-aid Man any ground-level structures you have.

Paris Harvestcraft is interesting. It works best if paired with Hunger Overhaul and Spice of Life so that you have a real reason to use the dozens and dozens of different food types (be careful when handling settings for those mods, though - it's possible to set them to truly BS levels). I mostly like it 'cause it gives you a reason and way to have huge fields of different types of crops and different food to eat.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

SugarAddict posted:

First put the sapling/netherrack where you want it to grow, wait for it to grow, THEN put in the Autonomous activator and the harvester AROUND the bloodwood, THEN chop down the bloodwood.

If you have Botania can you use a rannuncarpus? as that can place from a distance?

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I tried Journey to the Core and man, these kinds of 'hardcore' packs I just don't get. You spend an hour or two desperately scrabbling together a little bunker that won't suffocate/insane you or collapse on your head, then the only way to progress is to kill something, so you walk outside and a creeper blows up killing you and your grave has 50 blazes and skeletons and creepers and zombies on it, and then you break the grave and a creeper blows up and destroys your unreplaceable ticon tools. I don't get how all these lets plays of it have dozens/hundreds of chapters when one mistake could make it unwinnable.

They seem so close to being fun, but the whole idea of just a second of bad luck could steal hours or days or even weeks of work just doesn't make sense to me. It'd be more tolerable if spawning wasn't so nonsensical - you walk outside and it's completely empty and then suddenly 20 mobs appear point blank after you walk out.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Nov 7, 2016

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Don't put Hunger Overhaul in any 1.10 packs jesus

saturating be used for regeneration means food you can only eat once before it's half effective, and twice before it's useless, means half your inventory needs to be food for any sort of cave delving or dungeon diving

it was a poor idea before 1.10 and new mechanics just magnify that

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm trying the 'all the mods' pack for 1.10 versions so i can get into roots and the like, but good lord i'm not exactly enjoying abyssalcraft's additions so far. which include but are not limited to weird pits in swamps full of lesser shoggoths that will convert the ground they walk over into weird ooze, and from what i can tell these weird monoliths will spawn where there's enough ooze and will do poo poo like hit you with lightning and make more shoggoths

did i mention that the shoggoths are walking sacks of hp with lovely hitboxes

General Specific
Jun 22, 2007

I had one of those, but the front wheel fell off and I had to get rid of it.

Blind Duke posted:

Don't put Hunger Overhaul in any 1.10 packs jesus

saturating be used for regeneration means food you can only eat once before it's half effective, and twice before it's useless, means half your inventory needs to be food for any sort of cave delving or dungeon diving

it was a poor idea before 1.10 and new mechanics just magnify that

I like the idea of getting some extra benefit from carrying and eating different things than a stack of baked potatoes, and I like having some encouragement to use Pam's Harvestcraft + Cooking for Blockheads, but the mechanics and common/default configuration for hunger mods tend to be wasteful and annoying. They also generally render the "snack" recipes from Pam's Harvestcraft useless anyway. If one item only restores a tiny bit of hunger and saturation, the next restores basically nothing. You need to carry a bunch of mild variations of similar recipes, and no more than two, because after that they turn to ash in your mouth. I think most people could eat some meals several times in a row before getting sick of them.

The combination of "Let's make the game more realistic and challenging" with "I have no idea how the real world actually works and even less idea how to integrate it with game mechanics" is a plague upon many modern games, especially in the sandbox/survival genre.
I think that genre of game is an admirable goal but it doesn't work if the player is handcuffed by the combination of a lack of realism (can't do certain things because they aren't implemented) and an overabundance of realism (can't do certain things because they go against the developer's "vision"). For every brilliant survival game like The Long Dark, there's a hundred sandbox games with survival elements shoehorned in, like Space Engineers starting off on a planet's surface under siege by common wolves that can bite through metal (formerly exploding robot wolves).

If it's not feasible to overhaul the whole game's mechanics with typical mods, I'd rather experience a challenge modpack as something that primarily antagonizes you using the environment (like Blightfall) or lack thereof (like Skyblock maps), rather than something that enforces limits and distractions on top of regular gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Sounds like the ogres all over again from 1.2.5. The modpack cycle rolls onward as it did before..