Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

Major Isoor posted:

he pulls everything around with his claws, until he's satisfied.

Does he sigh dramatically when he finally flops down? That's how you know you've got a Certified Grade-A Nosedog.

e. o poo poo new page

pastor of muppets fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Abby is supposedly a "senior" dog, but one day my neighbor texted me to say she was barking in howling, which is of course weird for greyhounds. I keep her out of an area of my condo while I'm at work, either with a table or chairs. That day she managed to vault over the chairs, and was upset that she couldn't get back! Also at the pet food store, she always puts her paws up on the counter, but last time she completely jumped on top of it! Then had the expression of "what the hell do I do now."

slap me silly posted:

My dude when he was still learning his way around accidentally jumped up and knocked his treat bag off the top of the refrigerator.

So good! :D Haven't had any experiences like that with my 'hound, although he did tangle all four legs up on a lead right after I first picked him up, and just stood there unmoving, peering up at me with a "uh..so what happens now??" expression on his face. (Then of course he just had to lean over and lick/nuzzle my face when I wasn't expecting it, as I freed him from his leash-bindings...and then again and again....)

And that's good news on the muzzle topic! Glad it's only us who have this stupid law - although I hope they finally get rid of it, soon. (Part of the test was interesting though; he was given a bowl with meat in it to see how he reacts to being petted while eating, but he just flat-out refused to touch it. After that I started to notice that he's very dubious of bowls of food when anyone other than myself gives it to him. Not sure what's up there; he seems to be pretty suspicious, I guess)

EDIT:

pastor of muppets posted:

Does he sigh dramatically when he finally flops down? That's how you know you've got a Certified Grade-A Nosedog.

haha now that you mention it, he sometimes does do that actually; although it's more of a "I suppose this will have to do" kind of sigh/moan, as he finishes up and assesses his work - rather than a "ah perfect, this is the life" sigh. These canine ex-athletes/-racers must be used to living the high-life 24/7, it seems!

Also, love the pic! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 4, 2016

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Pupdate:
My guy Rico has packed on the pounds and is now at a great weight of 80 pounds. He loving life and has come out of his shell. He's turned into a car ride loving, blanket stealing, treat hunter. He's started to wag his tail all the time, snuggle in in the morning and give an excitable little howl for our neighbour. Little guy is now out of his crate and has been awesome give or take a gnawed corner of an old table.

One of the cutest things he's done lately is whine to be tucked in at night. :kimchi:

More pictures:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

e. o poo poo new page

It is known.

I don't know what Spartacus does all say when we're at work, but it's apparently exhausting. That or he's an eternally suffering teenager.

Quite a comfy longdog you got there!

And look at that handsome Rico! I wanna nom those ears :swoon:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

e. o poo poo new page

A big old sigh and a big bad smell signals nap-time around these parts.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Willow gets her own blanket on my bed but apparently it's just never quite right when I do it so she'll drag it around all over the bed, occasionally falling off the bed in the process and nearly always standing all over me, planting her stick legs in my gut or backing her rear end into my face before doing a little circle on her still a complete mess of a blanket (it's perfect now though), slumping down, sighing deeply and letting out a little fart. Great dogs A+.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Last night I let Taz outside to go to bed (as it wasn't cold outside, unlike the last few nights) after having him inside for most of the day. Around an hour later he started barking now and again for no apparent reason (at least that's what it seemed - I couldn't hear any of my neighbours' dogs barking in the distance, which might've triggered that kind of behaviour in him), so I went outside to check on him and saw him just standing by his bed, giving it a thousand-yard stare and occasionally sticking his nose into the folds and flaps of the blanket and moving his nose around, almost as though he was suddenly missing a piece of himself/his mind, or searching for something.

...after going over to him and his bed to see what the hell he was looking at/for, I realized he went back outside without taking his little orange echidna with him. I had noticed that he seems to like carrying it everywhere he goes now, but I didn't know he can no longer sleep without it, these days! (Despite destroying the squeaker in it a while back) He happily went to bed and allowed himself to be tucked back in after getting his little rubber companion back, and was soundless for the rest of the night.
I'll have to get a photo of him sleeping with it, sometime - he normally has it tucked under one of his forelegs by his chest, like a baby with a stuffed bear :D

EDIT: Here's the little guy messing around with his echidna, after I got home from work

(Apologies about the terrible mobile-quality photos!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 7, 2016

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

What a cool coat pattern! We had a male hound visit when we had our home visit by the rescue who looked similar; he's listed as a "reverse brindle" on his registration. Is that what they're calling Taz, too?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

What a cool coat pattern! We had a male hound visit when we had our home visit by the rescue who looked similar; he's listed as a "reverse brindle" on his registration. Is that what they're calling Taz, too?

Huh, that's interesting. Since here in Australia (or at least SA where I am) it's known as "black brindle"; supposed to be quite rare, according to one of the people who did his muzzle exemption testing. I wonder if many other coat patterns have different names, between our countries.

EDIT: Also, I'm accepting suggestions on what Taz's full first name is; the longer/crazier the better, I say! :D (Since down here at least, we always like to shorten names and add either a "z" or an "o" to the end, like Darren>Daz, Thomas>Tommo, etc. However "Taz" is Taz's full name from what I've been told, so I smell an opportunity here!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 8, 2016

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Tim-Tam Anthony Zilch III the Duke of Snifferton and Cardinal of the Spiky Echidna

You can shorten the initals to T.A.Z. :v:

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 8, 2016

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Idunn and Wren have been getting along well.

Idunn loves to be near Wren

Wren doesn't seem to mind being near Idunn

<3 my goofy pups
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/793536526298644480
https://twitter.com/forgzample/status/793540332705058817

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

umalt posted:

Tim-Tam Anthony Zilch III the Duke of Snifferton and Cardinal of the Spiky Echidna

You can shorten the initals to T.A.Z. :v:

haha well, it certainly does meet both the 'crazy' and 'long' requirements! :D

Also, (bit late on this post, but I've been very busy the last couple of days) two days ago it was Taz's third birthday - on the same day as my dad's, so of course I took Taz around to my dad's chair and took a photo of him with my dad's present and a valuable (apparently..) old magazine Taz tore up, a couple of weeks ago. (No party hat though, I'm afraid. Couldn't find any)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
In the past week, Spartacus has:

• Woken us up at 3:30 am and whined until one of us goes downstairs so he can sleep on the chair, then whined again at that person from 5-6 until we feed him
  • had his hookworms recur again. This makes the third time: once off the track, once a month or so after we got him, again two weeks ago, and now we're treating him a fourth time. Different (expensive) medicine each time, these fuckers just. will. not. die.
  • raided the pantry and tore up a bag of brown sugar, a bag of confectioners sugar, a box of baking soda, and some pretzel chips, all over the rug. I don't know what he was making but it sounds delicious.
  • got scared when my spouse slipped on a walk, and he bit a small dog bad enough it was bleeding and needed a $1100 vet bill.
  • and now, I've just learned, has decided to pee in the house for our dog sitter while my spouse and I are away on travel. This is probably because
  • ...he drinks all the water in all of the bowls, leaving none for our other animals.

Dog, you are not doing yourself any favors. :rant:

I can't wait until we can get done with crate games and can avoid this in the future.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Why do sighthounds look so goddamn sad all the time. Willow makes me feel terrible by looking absolutely miserable when I'm getting ready to go out, and the worse the weather the more concerned she looks.

Also for some reason she won't eat when I'm not here. When she's home alone or has a sitter she will not touch the food in her bowl, but as soon as I get home she splits her attention between greeting me and snarfing a couple mouthfuls of food, it's so weird. Jump on me for pats, run to bowl for food, run back to me to rub on my legs like a cat, dash back to bowl, over and over like she REALLY wanted the food but me not being there meant she wasn't allowed? I do sometimes ask her to wait when I put her food out but I always give her the okay so I don't think she's assuming she's not allowed. Silly longdog.

e: I need to get a no-pull harness for Willow for walks and to hook her up in the car, where the hell do I get one that fits her stupid shape? Not the halti head one, just a harness that clips at the front.

Build-a-Boar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 18, 2016

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I forgot one other thing, Spartacus has been peeing on the bushes in the back yard so much they've been dying at convenient leg-lifting height. I forgot because I don't really like them and want them to die anyway. Thanks Spartacus!

The perpetrator artist next to his handiwork

E: per the above, the Saddest Dog because we are leaving to see a movie

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 18, 2016

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

I love all your idiots

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

skoolmunkee posted:

I love all your idiots

I took him on a walk yesterday and an old guy asked me, "Is that a greyhound?"

"Yes it is! He's a retired racer. "

"Beautiful! Is he smart?"

"Nope! Dumber than a bag of hammers."

"Oh. That's no good. " :geno:

No good indeed, Sparty. Maybe if you were actually a good dog I wouldn't have to insult you in front of strangers. :colbert:

(I love my idiot too. If nothing else as a target of verbal abuse)

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I routinely yell "come on idiots" in front of neighbors and company when I'm calling the dogs.

Re long dog sadness: my wife was just convinced our dogs were depressed for months and months.

She finally came around that just how they are. Filled with the ennui of the world. Unless it's time to eat or walk then it's all limbs and tails

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, just noticed some little red lumps in Taz's groin area, which I think must've just popped up last night/this morning, or maybe yesterday. I'm not sure what's caused them (maybe insect bites? It's getting hotter here in Aus, so it could be mosquitoes or something) but they don't seem to be irritating him that much, so I'm not sure how to proceed, other than perhaps seeing a vet in the near future. :ohdear: Anyone else had experience with this? I don't believe the old family Whippet ever having lumps like that.

I've taken a really low-quality photo (with the lumps in the corner, in order to avoid posting :woof:DOG NUDES:woof:), which is right here. Only three are pictured, but there are some more all over - that was merely the only shot/angle he let me take, without trying to assault me with his nose.

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

Those look like bug bites to me. I'd go see a vet if you're at all worried. I booked one for my guy when I found similar spots that were bites and my vet didn't even charge me for the visit. She just pet Rico for a few minutes, gave him a treat, and told me what a big softy he is. pic of said softy.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Aww, and what a softy he is :3:

And alright cool, glad my initial thoughts are probably accurate, then. I'll leave it for a couple of days I guess and see what happens (since he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, interestingly), then get him looked at if things stay the same/get worse.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Slo-mo speed hounds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmJyaO2fmqQ

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello

This is Tizzy until I have a better idea, or Tuihabi

I instinctively said "aw look at you, noodle!" immediately before this pic tho, so tbh I am prob gonna go with Noodle

It has been over 3 years and I miss having a lazy dog in my life. She will be joining me next weekend

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
That dog is definitely a Noodle

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

skoolmunkee posted:

Hello

This is Tizzy until I have a better idea, or Tuihabi

I instinctively said "aw look at you, noodle!" immediately before this pic tho, so tbh I am prob gonna go with Noodle

It has been over 3 years and I miss having a lazy dog in my life. She will be joining me next weekend

That gives a great farewell each day: :"Toodles, Noodles"

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

Noodle, a Good Dog :3:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tortolia posted:

That dog is definitely a Noodle

Definitely - and what a noodle she is! :D

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Noodle, a Good Dog :3:

I can't wait to see more of Noodle the lazy dog!

Cookie and Sparty can't wait either!

...these are their excited faces, I swear! (Cookie wants to play, Sparty wants to laze :3:)

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 24, 2016

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Hi Noodle :buddy:

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Congratulations to greyhounds!

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yay hounds :3:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

A greyhound won Westminster

It looks goofy as hell because it's never raced. You can't even seen its ribs!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Between Noodle-to-be finding a home and a noodledog winning, it's a good time for greyhounds.
Hooray greyhounds!

Hooreyhounds

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
It's hard to be a noodlehound

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tortolia posted:

It's hard to be a noodlehound

Oh, it is! The relaxed lifestyle of a living, breathing noodle is a hard life indeed
Here's li'l Tazo, having a nice snooze after his walk :D

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

rhoga posted:

Between Noodle-to-be finding a home and a noodledog winning, it's a good time for greyhounds.
Hooray greyhounds!

Hooreyhounds

Daw, that cow one looks like my old North dog. :3:
Kids always have the best reactions to seeing greyhounds, but the funniest was still a little girl that shouted "That cow looks like a dog!" while I was waking him down the street.

In other hound news, Idunn is now fine going down the stairs by herself, but is afraid to go back up, while Wren won't go down the stairs unless I force her, but has zero problem going up on her own.
Almost have a normal dog between the two!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Your dogs are self-separating :v:

Thus far I have taught Spartacus "Wait..." and one-half each of Shake and Spin. He also knows Drop It, but I think that's just because he startled when we shout and pretends he wasn't being bad. By this point owning Cookie we'd already had most of her repertoire, and even Gus could Wave, Spin, and Stand.

Truly the Dog of Kings

E: Another day in the hard life of a noodle hound

2E: Sleepytime hound

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 27, 2016

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I visited Noodle today and we hung out for an hour and went on a little walk. She's so placid, I can't wait for her to perk up once she settles in a bit. She did a little bouncy steppin' for part of the walk though. :3: now I am online buying her crate and some fluffy toys that look like cupcakes

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
here's a weird looking cat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

🎅🏼🐶