Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

I had a note 3 for 4 years and never had that happen to me.

I think it was added by a carrier because it solved 90% of support calls.

I'm finally resetting my Nexus 6. Guess I'll sell it. The only thing wrong with it is that part of the X fell off on the back. It'd be funny if an ornamental defect made much difference on the resale value of a two year old used phone.

Also: wow, I've already forgotten how huge this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

hooah posted:

Did they stop doing this or have I not hit the time limit? I've left my work S7 on for five days now and it hasn't bugged me to restart.

There's a setting that defaults to off that can automatically restart your phone after a certain amount of uptime.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The "lol, it's been a while, you really should reboot" is also triggered by the T-Mobile app (if you have "data collection" turned on).

GTFO of here with that poo poo, T-Mo.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Never had any of my Samsung phones prompt for a reboot. I have seen my Tab S 8.4 do it once or twice.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!
I got a Pixel 128GB from the Verizon store down the street from me, and I guess it's not a "corporate" Verizon and they ended up somehow getting me an unlocked Google Store version of the phone! I absolutely love it coming from a Droid Turbo, only thing is I guess I don't fully understand what everyone in the thread is talking about when they say certain car chargers or whatever aren't "safely" charging the Pixel. I have just used my regular car charger with the USB to USB-C adapter the phone came with. Is that the wrong thing to do?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Never had that either, I've used the S6 through to the Note7 for work

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Mental Hospitality posted:

The Moto G4 Play without lockscreen ads is 20 dollars off right now (130USD/Black only).
https://amzn.com/B01J88GV0C

You know, I may pick one of these up for a 'spare' phone. I had intended to use my old Moto X 2013 as a backup phone after I sell off my MXP and Nexus 5x, but this seems better most of the way around. The screen will be a downgrade, but everything else should be better and is supposed to get Nougat eventually.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ziji posted:

I got a Pixel 128GB from the Verizon store down the street from me, and I guess it's not a "corporate" Verizon and they ended up somehow getting me an unlocked Google Store version of the phone! I absolutely love it coming from a Droid Turbo, only thing is I guess I don't fully understand what everyone in the thread is talking about when they say certain car chargers or whatever aren't "safely" charging the Pixel. I have just used my regular car charger with the USB to USB-C adapter the phone came with. Is that the wrong thing to do?

Using a good charger with the included A-C cable should be safe, you just won't be charging the phone very fast. That's all.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Are the Monoprice cables good ones? Like, cleared by that Google guy? They're such a good place to buy that poo poo

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Mental Hospitality posted:

The Moto G4 Play without lockscreen ads is 20 dollars off right now (130USD/Black only).
https://amzn.com/B01J88GV0C

mmmmm, do you guys think the Moto G4 Play would be a good enough "transition test" for moving my 68 y/o ma over to Android from her iPhone 5c? I know the G4Plus has a better camera but If the camera is noticeably shittier on the G4 vs the 5c she's gonna notice right away (dog & hiking pics) and throw it back at me...................In which case I'd stick an unused 128gb sd card in it and use it in my car to replace my iPod that sits in the armrest.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

bull3964 posted:

Using a good charger with the included A-C cable should be safe, you just won't be charging the phone very fast. That's all.

Okay got it! I was worried it would somehow damage the phone because I am dumb. In other news, I can not stop gushing about this drat phone. It is seriously worth every penny.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Joda posted:

That was surprisingly smooth. Didn't even have to restore my data or anything, apps, contacts, messages, everything's there. Thanks for the help!

Great to hear!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Keyser S0ze posted:

mmmmm, do you guys think the Moto G4 Play would be a good enough "transition test" for moving my 68 y/o ma over to Android from her iPhone 5c? I know the G4Plus has a better camera but If the camera is noticeably shittier on the G4 vs the 5c she's gonna notice right away (dog & hiking pics) and throw it back at me...................In which case I'd stick an unused 128gb sd card in it and use it in my car to replace my iPod that sits in the armrest.

Do yourself a favor and buy her a 5S or 6. You will be helping her endlessly with stupid little poo poo. Moving anyone who barely uses phones from iPhone to Android is a silly thing to do.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Fingerprint sensor trip report:
Nexus 6P: Unable to unlock if you burn the poo poo out of your fingers.
iPhone 6: Still unlocks fine.
Galaxy S6: Couldn't detect my fingers even when they were intact, no chance now.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

uPen posted:

Fingerprint sensor trip report:
Nexus 6P: Unable to unlock if you burn the poo poo out of your fingers.
iPhone 6: Still unlocks fine.
Galaxy S6: Couldn't detect my fingers even when they were intact, no chance now.

Did you join MiB?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

cage-free egghead posted:

Do yourself a favor and buy her a 5S or 6. You will be helping her endlessly with stupid little poo poo. Moving anyone who barely uses phones from iPhone to Android is a silly thing to do.

I'll be doing tech support 4x per year regardless of iOS or Android.

I should add that she is ready to move to a BIG PHONE now and the iPhone 6+ are still over $300 even used. A 5.5 inch Moto G4 for $140 sounded like a decent tryout and/or horrible iPod replacement at worst.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Hi, it's me, the guy that never had any of the weird 5x problems that everyone else did. Apparently my luck ran out though, as I was just looking at something in Google Fit and the phone locked up, turned itself off, and now will not turn back on. I've tried holding power/vol down, I've tried leaving it on the charger (it had at least 70% battery when this happened though), nothing is bringing it back. Anything else I can try?

EDIT: Okay after sitting on the charger for an hour it finally booted up. Should I just contact Google now for a replacement or wait and see if it happens again?

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Nov 7, 2016

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Played with a regular sized Pixel in a Best Buy Mobile store in the mall today. It's way better in person! I've always thought it was kind of homely in pictures but it's pretty nice when you're holding it.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
For those that missed it, if you have a Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 edge (with Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon contract - Try the upcoming Nougat Beta

Anybody know if this link is legit?

ijii fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 7, 2016

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Thermopyle posted:

Played with a regular sized Pixel in a Best Buy Mobile store in the mall today. It's way better in person! I've always thought it was kind of homely in pictures but it's pretty nice when you're holding it.

I keep getting the urge to stop by Best Buy and touch a Pixel but the last thing I need right now is an overwhelming desire to buy an $800 phone when I've only had my 6P for a couple months and I have no qualms with it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

ijii posted:

For those that missed it, if you have a Galaxy S7 / Galaxy S7 edge (with Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon contract - Try the upcoming Nougat Beta

Anybody know if this link is legit?

I think it is. A few days ago someone posted the .apk file for the Beta Program that you can sideload. The server side of things isn't up yet, in the UK at least.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Luchadork posted:

Hi, it's me, the guy that never had any of the weird 5x problems that everyone else did. Apparently my luck ran out though, as I was just looking at something in Google Fit and the phone locked up, turned itself off, and now will not turn back on. I've tried holding power/vol down, I've tried leaving it on the charger (it had at least 70% battery when this happened though), nothing is bringing it back. Anything else I can try?

EDIT: Okay after sitting on the charger for an hour it finally booted up. Should I just contact Google now for a replacement or wait and see if it happens again?

FWIW, mine was similar: nearly perfect until it up and died on a Sunday morning. It was almost exactly 13 months old, and Google support sent me to LG support. LG support says, "Mail it to us, and if you didn't break it, we'll get it back to you in 7-9 days." I didn't have a backup phone, and I need my phone for work, so I was forced to order a Pixel on short notice.

Now, the Pixel is an excellent phone. But I would have waited until it went on sale, because I was happy with my 5X. Just so you know what to expect, presuming it fully dies.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

nocal posted:

FWIW, mine was similar: nearly perfect until it up and died on a Sunday morning. It was almost exactly 13 months old, and Google support sent me to LG support. LG support says, "Mail it to us, and if you didn't break it, we'll get it back to you in 7-9 days." I didn't have a backup phone, and I need my phone for work, so I was forced to order a Pixel on short notice.

Now, the Pixel is an excellent phone. But I would have waited until it went on sale, because I was happy with my 5X. Just so you know what to expect, presuming it fully dies.

Thankfully, mine was literally 3 days short of 12 months old, so Google is covering it. Should have the replacement Tuesday or Wednesday, though it's a refurb unit which I'm not thrilled about (I've never had great luck with refurbs, but hey free). So I'm pretty happy with Google's support, assuming the new unit doesn't die in a week.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

nocal posted:

Almost for sure the credit card you paid for the N5 with does an extended warranty that should double the mfg warranty. All they do is refund you, why not give that a try.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Keyser S0ze posted:

From the reviews I've seen, the camera on the GPlay is pretty bad in all but the most perfect conditions. I'm almost positive it would be worse than the 5c.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Almost for sure the credit card you paid for the N5 with does an extended warranty that should double the mfg warranty. All they do is refund you, why not give that a try.

I just mailed it. But I bought it with an AmEx, so yeah, maybe if they give me any poo poo I'll contact them.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

The Duggler posted:

The length of time the pixel/7.1 keeps things in memory is insane. I'm talking about going back to an app after several days and it's still suspended here
I've had the opposite experience with play music on my XL. Its only too happy to dump it after a couple hours.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I've had the opposite experience with play music on my XL. Its only too happy to dump it after a couple hours.

In fairness the Play Music app has always had poor performance on every phone I've ever owned

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

In fairness the Play Music app has always had poor performance on every phone I've ever owned

Want to download 10 playlists in a row? Ok, I'm going to get very sluggish and the download toast will move to a random spot on the screen. -GPM app

It's buggy af. Has been for a long time. IOS version? Silky smooth.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

hotsauce posted:

It's buggy af. Has been for a long time. IOS version? Silky smooth.

Welcome to the Google app experience.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CLAM DOWN posted:

True.

When I posted that, I open GPM and had it playing while I opened/moved-between snapchat, awful app, chrome, myfitnesspal, strava, and a couple other apps. Stayed open fine. Hit pause and put the phone down. The status bar icon is now gone.

IDK WTF google did, but its loving annoying. This XL has 4GB of ram. It shouldn't need to close *anything*.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Since I flashed my phone to get 6.0.1, will I have to flash it to get security patches from now on and 7.0 if it ever comes out for the A3, or will I automatically get it whenever they're released for the country/carrier I downloaded the ROM for?

Also, since my phone is apparently not locked, does it matter what carrier it says on the ROM download page if I need to flash again? Not sure if DBT was specifically chosen, or it would work with any German ROM.

E: Also, unrelated, but I'm losing less than 1% of battery every two hours when my phone is idle after the update. Granted it's on wifi, so it's not using LTE, but I'm still a bit worried it's somehow reporting battery wrong or something? Surely I wouldn't be able to have it run for over a week without charging?

Joda fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 7, 2016

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I know this is old news but I'll never get over how wacky courier logistics are. This is my Pixel XL Live case. Couldn't they have airdropped it over Vancouver while flying from Alaska to California or something?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I know this is old news but I'll never get over how wacky courier logistics are. This is my Pixel XL Live case. Couldn't they have airdropped it over Vancouver while flying from Alaska to California or something?

Hahahaha mine is literally in the same shipping crate as yours, I saw that on tracking and reacted the same way.

UPS: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
What's the best/cheapest place to buy Xiaomi phones in Canada? (Or elsewhere if intl shipping is free)

Must accept Paypal!

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Olivil posted:

What's the best/cheapest place to buy Xiaomi phones in Canada? (Or elsewhere if intl shipping is free)

Must accept Paypal!

Go to the Xioami reddit and check the wiki for the best places to purchase. There's a couple of AliExpress shops that have great deals.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
So I bought a new micro SDHC card for my phone. When I stick it in the slot, Android tells me it has an unsupported format and to tap here to configure it or something.
However when I tap nothing happens, I'm not taken to another menu or anything.
If I go in settings under storage, I don't have the usual format/erase SD card.

I tried taking the card to my computer and formatting in various format (Fat32, ExFat) but no dice, the phone refuse to use it.
It even says my Trascendance card is corrupted or something.

What the hell is going on? Is my sd slot dead?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Alan_Shore posted:

Go to the Xioami reddit and check the wiki for the best places to purchase. There's a couple of AliExpress shops that have great deals.

Also "singles day" is coming on the 11th of November (maybe the 10th in Canada). There'll be plenty of deals from all the usual resellers if you want to try your luck.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Le0 posted:

So I bought a new micro SDHC card for my phone. When I stick it in the slot, Android tells me it has an unsupported format and to tap here to configure it or something.
However when I tap nothing happens, I'm not taken to another menu or anything.
If I go in settings under storage, I don't have the usual format/erase SD card.

I tried taking the card to my computer and formatting in various format (Fat32, ExFat) but no dice, the phone refuse to use it.
It even says my Trascendance card is corrupted or something.

What the hell is going on? Is my sd slot dead?

Is it an authentic non counterfeit card or is it an eBay/Ali China special?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
It's not counterfeit I bought it at the shop.
I tried another card I had laying around and it also wasn't recognized, that's why I bought the second one because I thought the first one was defective.
But apparently it's either my Android SW or actual SD card slot which is hosed.

I really don't understand why the SD card options don't appear in settings...