Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I don't know that much about bass pickups but all the major brands seem to make quality products. I think (to me at least) the voicing of the pickup is less important on bass than it is on guitar as long as it's a well made pickup.

That being said I really want to try a set of the geezer butler pickups or just anything that gets narsty grindy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The trick with Ibanez GiO bass p'ups is to turn that loving "active" eq off. Its like the equivalent of a MEGABASS button on a car stereo, when its off my gsr205 sounds pretty passable aa long as the strings arent too crusty.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Mine's from 97 and it has these crappy proprietary actives and preamp that sounds not too great. I think any pickups would be an improvement.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Depending what model it is it may not be truly "active", if its that old it may well be though- I know a lot of cheaper ones from the past decade or so have this bullshit not-fully-active circuit in there

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
well it ain't gonna be remotely active for much longer i tell you what!!

Additionally, is a blend pot in the center position both pickups at 50% or both at 100%?

muike fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 26, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
e: whoops

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are the bartollini or whatever ones on the BTB basses any good? I played with one in a music shop once and it sounded cool and alive, but honestly I didn't have a clue what I was doing with all them knobs

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

NonzeroCircle posted:

The trick with Ibanez GiO bass p'ups is to turn that loving "active" eq off. Its like the equivalent of a MEGABASS button on a car stereo, when its off my gsr205 sounds pretty passable aa long as the strings arent too crusty.

Yeah I had a gsr200. The crappy eq sounded fine to me through a tiny practice amp even turned to full. But as soon as I plugged the bass into something halfway decent it immediately sounded like rear end until I turned that poo poo all the way off.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

muike posted:

well it ain't gonna be remotely active for much longer i tell you what!!

Additionally, is a blend pot in the center position both pickups at 50% or both at 100%?

I like centered but with like 52% neck 48% bridge I guess. On a J bass I'll put the neck at 10 and bridge at like 9.25

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Do you have any recommendations for single coil 5 string pickups? I kinda want to get some for my bass but want to do a ton of research on it since I can't afford them for a while.

Nordstrands.

baka kaba posted:

Are the bartollini or whatever ones on the BTB basses any good? I played with one in a music shop once and it sounded cool and alive, but honestly I didn't have a clue what I was doing with all them knobs

They're okay. I've always thought Barts were too mid-shy and the MK1s particularly sound like butt, but definitely still better than unbranded.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
if anyone has a decent rick copy they wanna get rid of...let me know

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Neighbor kid wants the Affinity P-bass that I got with the recent amp purchase, so I am going to do a good deed and give it to him. He can shovel my driveway this winter.

It did get me jonesing for a P-bass, though. My only P-pickup is on my 80's Spector but it isn't the sound I am looking for. My local options are pretty much a tiny GC, Craigslist and small music shops w/ high markups. I've been looking online, but hate not being able to check something out beforehand.

I really want a thinner/narrower neck. Was considering putting a MIJ Geddy neck on a MIM P body, but that was going to get me around $700-800+ when it is all said and done. Maybe more. Found a Nate Mendel sig Pbass for about $600, which has a narrower nut than standard, upgraded pickups and bridge. Has a decent return policy. Anyone played one? On paper it sounds like what I am looking for, except for the quarter-pounder pickups, so if I swap those out I am probably in the same ballpark pricing as piecing one together.

I'm on a road trip so I've been checking Craigslist for the towns I'll be driving through. Found some good deals on things I don't need.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If you're alright with something that's more likely a PJ, look for an older Ibanez.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

muike posted:

If you're alright with something that's more likely a PJ, look for an older Ibanez.

I had a soundgear a long time ago, sold it to my guitarist when we all went our separate ways. I liked the neck but hated everything else. So I haven't considered them since.

My problem with current Ibanez is the same issue I have w/ Fender - too many product lines. Got a suggestion for model/years to sort through?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Pretty much any of the SR line. Japanese is gonna be better than korean or indonesian but they're all going to share narrow string spacing and thinner necks.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

pumped up for school posted:

I had a soundgear a long time ago, sold it to my guitarist when we all went our separate ways. I liked the neck but hated everything else. So I haven't considered them since.

I sold my soundgear before I got into building kits. If I still had it, I would put the neck on a DIY body with nicer electronics and be very happy with it.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Ugh, I love this thing. It just has such thump to it and can actually push the amps gain.
I love my Warwick, too, but it's an entirely different animal. A 5-string J-bass with roundwounds vs. a 4-string PJ with flats, and MF pickups?
Problem is, I feel like I'd really like the G&L's tone better in my band; the Warwick is so hit and miss, sometimes. It doesn't help that the band consistently switches between mellow interludes and hard hitting breakdowns.
What's stopping me is that a small number of songs rely on that low B, and I don't enjoy the idea of having to switch between instruments on stage. Also, the guitarist plays a white Les already. :colbert: Also, we play half-step and I like to keep this thing standard. So, its the home thumper until I start doing other things with it. Maybe tracking or a new project.
I also keep trying to reintroduce pedals into the mix, only to be sorely disappointed. I tried The Clone Theory, but really only use it for a cover; otherwise its noisy and a bit of a limiter in the chain. And, the VT Bass? I want to be able to use it dynamically but it only seems to make my bass sound farty. I need to toy around with it more, especially the character; but, I was so fed up with it at practice that I kicked it right out. (e. figuratively) Now, all I have left is the light control. I don't even want to use the vocal delay anymore (I probably should, my voice is probably terrible).

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 4, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Now you get a L2500 and all your dreams come true :v:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
the new g&l kiloton looks cool. maybe you should just buy one of those...

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Got a new Squire Jaguar, has an active bass boost, they weren't kidding, it boost the input twice as hard as any other bass I've used. I played about 5 of these at various guitar centers and to be honest most of them were beyond terrible. This one was set up perfect, and I needed a new bass because after a 36 day tour and a band argument, my old bass was shot. Now I just need to put 4 new speakers in that cab, I blew 4 of them on that same tour. Gonna turn it from a 4x10 2x15 into a 2x10 2x12 2x15 :getin:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
that's sick dude

big black fender pickguards like that always look like they need some kind of satanic engraving or something

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I'm looking for a sub $200 combo amp for practicing at home. I already have a big SVT rig, but I don't want to haul it home from practice every week - I just need something for playing in my (well-insulated) apartment. I can go higher in price if it's worth it. What do folks recommend?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I bought a used tc electronic bg250 for pretty much the exact same reasons. I paid $250. It is fine, loud and light. I can take it over to the guitar player's house on a lark.

I do like the built-in tuner, but the digital effect banks are mostly garbage. I only use two of the options.

But for just solo practice it is overkill. You ought to be able to find something smaller and cheaper.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
any practice amp will do. they're all the same, who cares

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

any practice amp will do. they're all the same, who cares

Some practice amps pull off this neat trick where they have a really thin weak sound and an unfixable rattle.

I had a line 6 lowdown studio 110 and it was pretty neat for a little thing with a 10" speaker. Sold it second hand a little while back for $250 AUD so I'd guess if you're in the US you could find a used one much cheaper than that.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Just gonna ask here in the very low chance that anyone has a spare rickenbacker 4003 pickup ring they'd be willing to sell to me.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Lol I've seen replacement Ric parts on eBay. $0.05 piece of plastic for $100.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's loving ridiculous dude

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dude from Screaming Females plays one and lets the crowd hit it with a stick

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

You're almost better off buying one of those $200 AliExpress copies for spare parts.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I've been on the road for a bit, but this was waiting for me when I got home. Almost forgot I'd ordered it.

I only had a few minutes to plug it in today but is comfortable in the hands. Pickups/18v preamp are very hot. Just the slightest touch off of center for the bass and the house was shaking. The variable mid will take getting used to. The main tone knob moves too freely with the stacked volume.

Mostly I spent an hour playing it in passive because I couldn't find any 9v batteries. Wife had raided my cases when smoke detectors went off at 3am. There was no case candy, not even a product card, but allen key and 2 batteries are in the gig bag if you order direct.

Cosmetically, the binding looks odd to me (color-wise) compared to the blocking and the nut. The truss road access cavity is pretty rough (paint looks bad, and the cutout into the pickguard needs sanded). The nut looked weak (thin) and too shallow to me, I thought I'd have to file it down but no buzzing. It was actually set up really well for me (I don't like really low action, this would be like medium-low).

The tuners tuned; we'll see how they hold but I do want an Xtender on there. First thing is to replace the pickguard. I knew I wouldn't like the red when I ordered it but my emailed request for the white was denied.

10-lbs.

Brand-new, every new purchase seems awesome, so I'll give it some time. I will say this - it doesn't sound or feel like a $400 bass. Not even close.

Other news, I had to get dog food and there's a pet store next to a Guitar Center in my town. I knew it was small but had never been in this location. Awful selection (basically Fender/Squier, a few Ibanez, and like 20 SUBs), but I did see that they are still making Aerodyne basses (or have brought it back). Always liked the look of those. But my big laugh was the 2016 "Elite" fenders. I tried the P since I am sort of in the market. The C/D neck isn't that magical. Definitely lol no thank you for $1800, Fender. I played it against a Squier VM and there's sure as poo poo no $1400 difference. They should be embarrassed.

pumped up for school fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 8, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
At least put a black guard on that, anything but white :(

So for anyone who's had their hands on both: Darkglass B7K or Two Notes Le Bass?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someone is selling a Gretsch Broadkaster in town for $600 barely played. Am I wrong or is that a crazy good deal?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

pumped up for school posted:

I've been on the road for a bit, but this was waiting for me when I got home. Almost forgot I'd ordered it.

I only had a few minutes to plug it in today but is comfortable in the hands. Pickups/18v preamp are very hot. Just the slightest touch off of center for the bass and the house was shaking. The variable mid will take getting used to. The main tone knob moves too freely with the stacked volume.

Mostly I spent an hour playing it in passive because I couldn't find any 9v batteries. Wife had raided my cases when smoke detectors went off at 3am. There was no case candy, not even a product card, but allen key and 2 batteries are in the gig bag if you order direct.

Cosmetically, the binding looks odd to me (color-wise) compared to the blocking and the nut. The truss road access cavity is pretty rough (paint looks bad, and the cutout into the pickguard needs sanded). The nut looked weak (thin) and too shallow to me, I thought I'd have to file it down but no buzzing. It was actually set up really well for me (I don't like really low action, this would be like medium-low).

The tuners tuned; we'll see how they hold but I do want an Xtender on there. First thing is to replace the pickguard. I knew I wouldn't like the red when I ordered it but my emailed request for the white was denied.

10-lbs.

Brand-new, every new purchase seems awesome, so I'll give it some time. I will say this - it doesn't sound or feel like a $400 bass. Not even close.

Other news, I had to get dog food and there's a pet store next to a Guitar Center in my town. I knew it was small but had never been in this location. Awful selection (basically Fender/Squier, a few Ibanez, and like 20 SUBs), but I did see that they are still making Aerodyne basses (or have brought it back). Always liked the look of those. But my big laugh was the 2016 "Elite" fenders. I tried the P since I am sort of in the market. The C/D neck isn't that magical. Definitely lol no thank you for $1800, Fender. I played it against a Squier VM and there's sure as poo poo no $1400 difference. They should be embarrassed.

Which bass did you get?

I picked up a Traynor TS-50 (same as Bob Weston of Shellac)

quote:

Just used the mark I prototype into the power-amp-ins on some big modern Ampeg solid state head at our shows in Spain. It sounded exactly perfect to me.

Also, at the shellac/dianogah show last month I tried Jay's rickenbacker bass plugged into my shellac amp. It sounded identical to the travis bean.

So, I reckon that "my" "sound" is more like 80% traynor ts-50b, 10% speaker cabinet, and 10% new strings.

Also, I vote to call it the TS-50BW.

bw

There was the option of the $250 "Rusty Box" pedal that is the same as the TS-50 preamp, but I got the real deal for pennies. I ran the wet signal from my Big Muff to the Traynor and into a 1x15" and then the dry signal into my Markbass CMD102p and have both going at once.

I'm pretty much in heaven.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
How useful is the op as a beginner? It hasn't been updated since 2010. I've wanted to get into bass for a while. I haven't played music in around 7-8 years, when I played clarinet and tenor sax in highschool. I always wanted to do sax, but got forced into clarinet by my primary school, and didn't get to do sax until highschool. By then I was already burnt out on something I didn't like and dropped out of music altogether, which I really regret.

My friends said to buy a cheapish second hand bass of the Australian equivalent of Craiglist, and I'm kinda thinking thats a good idea. I'd take on of them with me to look at it, but what should I be looking for? Is ~$100 for just the bass too little, just to start?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Sockington posted:

Which bass did you get?

Sorry, I thought I had posted a photo with the shipping crate.

It is a Sire V7. Alder/rosewood. $400 (cheapest option).

I've been giving it some time for the last week and really like it. I've got houseguests this week so mostly playing into headphones, in passive. My main gripe is still that the tone/volume stack is hard to turn one w/o the other. That's a pretty minor complaint. My bandmates said they preferred the Sire's more mellow tone over my EBMM Sterling but that was probably just them being nice.

Went to a music shop the other day w/ a friend dropping off his guitar for repair. Still looking at P-basses. They had several of these "Fender Special Edition Delux" PJs for $800 new, but then a 2015 right next to them for $550. I couldn't find anything wrong with it other than it was the filthiest thing I have ever seen. Food on knobs. Pickups looked covered in snot or something. It was pretty impressive in its own right. I didn't buy it because it was in Sunburst but I would have christened it Goon Bass.

The cheap Nate Mendel I had found sold before I got off the pot. Found another one online for about $650, or an American Standard for $700 with HSC. It has upgraded pickups (Seymour Duncan) but the guy selling doesn't know which. Anyone know if they're they stamped underneath? I've never bought anything but EMGs and Barts. I'd probably prefer the neck on the Mendel, but this American Standard is the better deal and I should pull the trigger today.

I should stop buying things I don't need. I started the year saying I would to get repairs done on wife's old (60s?) Teisco short-scale, buy a fretless, and a practice amp. So far only bought the amp and two unplanned basses, looking at a third...

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken

underage at the vape shop posted:

My friends said to buy a cheapish second hand bass of the Australian equivalent of Craiglist, and I'm kinda thinking thats a good idea. I'd take on of them with me to look at it, but what should I be looking for? Is ~$100 for just the bass too little, just to start?

I would maybe bump that up a little bit, perhaps $200. Not much more though, since you don't know if you're into it yet. That's how I started; I got a cheapo bad bass, started playing along to some favorite tunes, realized I liked it, and upgraded from there. At some point you'll probably realize your first bass is a hunk of junk, but that's ok! That how you end up learning what style of bass you might want, wide/thin neck, the kind of sound, etc.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
A hunk of junk bass is always fun to play, will make you appreciate a nice one more too when the day comes. If nothing else they are good to have for noodling whilst watching tv or whatever.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

How useful is the op as a beginner? It hasn't been updated since 2010. I've wanted to get into bass for a while. I haven't played music in around 7-8 years, when I played clarinet and tenor sax in highschool. I always wanted to do sax, but got forced into clarinet by my primary school, and didn't get to do sax until highschool. By then I was already burnt out on something I didn't like and dropped out of music altogether, which I really regret.

It's still good stuff, no bad advice there.

Personally if I was getting into Bass right now, I'd get a good quality Fender J Or P bass, Made in Mexico or Japan. The thing is, starter equipment loses most of it's value even if kept well but an older MiM Fender will get you the same amount you put in if you decide playing bass is not for you. Same for Japanese made Fenders, Tokai Hard Punchers (A very good budget Precision Bass) and other mid-tier stuff.

You should head over to your local music shop and try out all the basses there to find the right neck for you, though. That's something you just can't read from the web.

Def. buy used, but as I said above go check out different basses from a store before. Get the one that feels the best.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Dyna Soar posted:

It's still good stuff, no bad advice there.

Personally I'd get a good quality Fender, Made in Mexico or Japan. The thing is, starter equipment loses most of it's value even if kept well but an older MiM Fender will get you the same amount you put in if you decide playing bass is not for you. Same for Japanese Fenders, Tokai Hard Punchers (A very good budget Precision Bass) and other mid-tier stuff.

This is what I'd probably do if starting now. That said, the way entry level gear loses value works for you pretty hard if you buy it used. Like, you can probably find an OK-for-a-beginner used bass for $100 (I'm in Australia, I'd guess it'd be less in america), which sucks if you're selling it and paid $250-300 for it new, but doesn't suck if you paid $100 for it 6 months ago and decided to upgrade or quit.

Dyna Soar posted:

You should head over to your local music shop and try out all the basses there to find the right neck for you, though. That's something you just can't read from the web.

But I agree with this so much. I know it's kinda intimidating when you don't play the instrument you want to buy, but holding it in your hands and plucking at the strings is still going to tell you a lot about how it'll feel to play.

I hosed up years ago and didn't do this when I bought my first bass (an acoustic). I didn't play bass at the time and I ended up with an instrument that I like the looks of, like the sound of, and never want to sit down with for more than about 20 minutes at a time because it's not that comfortable to hold in the playing position. Also it's near-impossible to play it standing up. I have to fight to keep it in a reasonable playing position because it will not hang nicely in place. I would not have bought this model if I'd actually sat down (and stood up) with it in the shop and tried to put my fret hand at the 1st fret and my other hand int he playing position because it's instantly obvious that it's not really gonna work for me.

Had the same thing last year when looking to upgrade my electric. I'd all but decided to get an epiphone thunderbird, went to the music shop, and within 10 seconds of starting to hold it I knew I wasn't going to want it. Like, I probably played 6 notes. Sometimes you're going to hate holding a bass and it's important to find that out before you get it home.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 13, 2016