Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Did the game update to a broken mode? I haven't played in 3 days and now the game crashes on launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturę et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
There hasn't been an update since October 30th, so it's something else.

[edit] You could try doing these things.

JointHorse fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 6, 2016

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Finally got the car working reliably, pull over on the motorway to adjust the alignment and as I'm setting off a load of sausages clip through the bottom of the car, throwing me into the air and obliterating everything on the underside.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Praseodymi posted:

Finally got the car working reliably, pull over on the motorway to adjust the alignment and as I'm setting off a load of sausages clip through the bottom of the car, throwing me into the air and obliterating everything on the underside.

My trunk lid consistently will fly off its hinges and through the floor of my car knocking my exhaust off when I attempt to close it. So I had to drive to the store to pick up my mail order and stuff it into the passenger compartment. I'm actually really impressed by how if you can fit the stuff in the car without clipping it will stay inside and without issue. I even managed to drive home the trunk lid by folding the passenger seat down.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

KakerMix posted:

My trunk lid consistently will fly off its hinges and through the floor of my car knocking my exhaust off when I attempt to close it. So I had to drive to the store to pick up my mail order and stuff it into the passenger compartment. I'm actually really impressed by how if you can fit the stuff in the car without clipping it will stay inside and without issue. I even managed to drive home the trunk lid by folding the passenger seat down.

Yeah, I feel like the game doesn't really do enough with the cool life-life-simulator physics stuff, like you should be able to be a courier and have to carry loads of boxes in your car that're flying all over the place as you're driving down a dirt road to the next house or something.

So my car does actually start, but the engines a bit clickier than before, is that a result of the missing exhaust pipe? And is there actually any way to get to the car without using another vehicle, or am I going to end up with something stranded by the side of the road?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

lmao

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

KakerMix posted:

My trunk lid consistently will fly off its hinges and through the floor of my car knocking my exhaust off when I attempt to close it.

That's a known bug, and it's loving annoying. In my case it loves to drop my fuel tank too.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Car seems to not be able to go past 60-80km/h, even in highest gear on highway. Once I get near that speed/rpm the needles are bugging like crazy and car gets hecka wobbly. What on earth is wrong?

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Figured out my wheel not being connected was causing the crash.

Also find out that you can assign a button for starting the engine at the start screen! Nice!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Asproigerosis posted:

Car seems to not be able to go past 60-80km/h, even in highest gear on highway. Once I get near that speed/rpm the needles are bugging like crazy and car gets hecka wobbly. What on earth is wrong?

Is your alignment good? If it isn't, the car might be unstable at speed. I could see that causing the car to go screwy, one of the wheels lifts up enough to get some wheel spin and then the revs climb.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I thought that too since I've equated poor alignment to car wobble at high speed in real life, but here it seems that it was lovely carb tuning. I got the upgraded carb and not a problem anymore, though it seems strange that that would cause the car to be all bouncy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The driving model is really good until it's really bad. Next time bouncy gauges happen, if you have a chance took a look behind you or double back. Once you start laying patches in a burnout, the driving model shits the bed in a feedback loop as your tires engage and disengage from the pavement over and over.

E. The sport carb could fix that because as far as I can tell, it sacrifices torque for power which means laying less patches unless you try.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 6, 2016

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I decided to start over from scratch and I finally have a working car. Not working well, mind you, but it works. Even though I'm sure I got all the brake lines tightened and filled up the master cylinder, it had no brakes, so I had a fun drive out to the mechanic.

I had just enough money to get the brakes worked on and get the alignment done, so I'll work on tuning the motor once it's done (in my first build, the engine ran beautifully when it wanted to stay in the car, now it runs like absolute dogshit). But now I'm out of money and have to...ugh...work.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Yams Fan

GOD IS BED posted:

Figured out my wheel not being connected was causing the crash.

Also find out that you can assign a button for starting the engine at the start screen! Nice!

Too bad they actually don't do poo poo :v:
I've tried binding different keys in the start window, but the only ones that matter have to be done in-game.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I started over when my fanbelt magically kept disappearing 5 minutes into my save in town. So I could only drive halfway home before it warps away and engine overheats and I wasn't interested in running when I could just rebuild the car fairly quickly. What are you even supposed to do when a part falls off/disappears and you don't notice so you have no idea where it is?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Restart or hex edit your save to put the part back at its spawn state.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cojawfee posted:

Is your alignment good?

I think the only available alignment in this game is chaotic neutral

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Nenonen posted:

I think the only available alignment in this game is chaotic neutral

"A spring of pussies for sure!"

So hey people don't want to edit their mp3s into .ogg files and I happen to run http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/ so why not have some (100!) pre-converted songs by artists you probably not ever heard of from that station? Of course you want them.

This is 100 songs of the synthwave-esque persuasion converted down to 44khz mono .ogg files for maximum audio realism. 99% of them have no lyrics whatsoever and none of them are mainstream at all. I find that the 1995 nature of My Summer Car pairs well with this as it feels similar enough to the 90s techno that is already in the game. Plus you don't have to do anything but unzip them in the radio folder of your game and hit a check box. Let me know if there are any issues at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyvqd6g0yur0y6s/cooltracks.zip?dl=0

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 7, 2016

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice

JointHorse posted:

Too bad they actually don't do poo poo :v:
I've tried binding different keys in the start window, but the only ones that matter have to be done in-game.

yeah, figured that out. dang.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I read somewhere that it's easier to just blow through a checkpoint, this is BAD ADVICE. Managed to make it to town and stock up on everything I needed, only for a cop to head on me on the way back and kill me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Only death awaits you on the highway. Best to just stick to back roads unless you are ready to try and hit 200kph before death's sweet embrace.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

KakerMix posted:

"A spring of pussies for sure!"

So hey people don't want to edit their mp3s into .ogg files and I happen to run http://www.shazbotsyndicate.com/ so why not have some (100!) pre-converted songs by artists you probably not ever heard of from that station? Of course you want them.

This is 100 songs of the synthwave-esque persuasion converted down to 96khz mono .ogg files for maximum audio realism. 99% of them have no lyrics whatsoever and none of them are mainstream at all. I find that the 1995 nature of My Summer Car pairs well with this as it feels similar enough to the 90s techno that is already in the game. Plus you don't have to do anything but unzip them in the radio folder of your game and hit a check box. Let me know if there are any issues at all.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xyvqd6g0yur0y6s/cooltracks.zip?dl=0

You just made my wife very upset and my child very happy

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
What fuel air ratio should I do for the sport carburetor? I assume it's not the same as the 14 I've been doing on the stock one since the performance is not great when I'm sticking to that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How do you guys typically deal with the stuff under the car? I've had to resort to either trying to do it by leaning through the car at weird angles, or by using the toolbox's magic powers to push the car into the garage - but that will usually cause it to get bashed to poo poo. It's pretty stupid that you can't just push it in.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

You can push with your hands with J.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah but you can't push the car when it's not fully assembled, even once the wheels are on. It's loving dumb.

e - for some stupid reason the brake is modeled like a truck brake where it is engaged until you install the parking brake lever. Makes no sense. Even then you really can't push it in a straight line because the push mechanic isn't designed for it.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Nov 7, 2016

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I dunno man, I pushed it into the garage when it wasn't fully assembled. It's not the easiest task but that's this game.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There is no reason to push the car into the garage to begin with.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If you memorize every single attachment point and bolt location sure, you can just clip your head through the floor. Otherwise you pretty much have to push it in so you can get under it.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

it was a literal fistfight to get the exhaust on, i fully assembled it in place and drove it in there over the pit to try. i ended up jacking up the left side and forking up the right to where it almost flipped. that was the only way this playthough got the piece to snap and it took longer than the entire car assembly.

daylight management made me consider pushing it in there, but outside of that you can do everything but a select few bits without moving the body

also the muscle car is a hot piece of garbage. it WASD drives worse than the van, holy poo poo!

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON

College Slice
Help guys! I've been stuck with my car for a few days, trying to figure out why the clutch only engages at low rpms and then the car stalls out. I found some loose bolts on the clutch line, but that made no difference. Fluids are full, every other bolt seems to be tight. Did I put the clutch together wrong?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

K8.0 posted:

If you memorize every single attachment point and bolt location sure, you can just clip your head through the floor. Otherwise you pretty much have to push it in so you can get under it.

There are exactly 3 bolts on the exhaust and like 8 on the fuel tank and none of those are difficult to see or figure out by leaning through the car if you even look at the part to find the brackets you'll be attaching.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

HATECUBE posted:

it was a literal fistfight to get the exhaust on, i fully assembled it in place and drove it in there over the pit to try. i ended up jacking up the left side and forking up the right to where it almost flipped. that was the only way this playthough got the piece to snap and it took longer than the entire car assembly.

daylight management made me consider pushing it in there, but outside of that you can do everything but a select few bits without moving the body

also the muscle car is a hot piece of garbage. it WASD drives worse than the van, holy poo poo!

Make sure you drive the musle car in 2nd gear. Its much more manageable that way.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

K8.0 posted:

You can get wheels under it and get it rolling rather easily with just the floor jack and then roll it in, or use brute force and ignorance and ram it in with another vehicle (or both).

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

K8.0 posted:

There's always another way

the thinking man's car lift

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

trying to snap the exhaust on with the forks on the undercarriage makes it bounce off like a rubber ball. otherwise lifting the body after you get the engine in is a pro move

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

HATECUBE posted:

trying to snap the exhaust on with the forks on the undercarriage makes it bounce off like a rubber ball. otherwise lifting the body after you get the engine in is a pro move

Oh yeah, for the exhaust the best way I found to do it was to stand in the engine bay, lean-clip through the front window and aim at the handbrake.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Davoren posted:

I dunno man, I pushed it into the garage when it wasn't fully assembled. It's not the easiest task but that's this game.

I was completely unable to move the car with J but I've seen people do it in videos. So it means 1) it's changed in a patch or 2) it's buggy. Or probably, both 1 & 2.

HATECUBE posted:

If you're working outside, be sure you turn on the garage lights as it turns on that exterior light which is pretty bright.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

You can push the car with J but you have to do it on the head or taillights. I've also had more success while crouched or prone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Jesus Christ.

I got the car to start, for a whopping 10 seconds before there was a large CLANG and it cut off. So I decide "Oh gently caress it", attach it to the towbar of the van and start driving to town to get it fixed up. About ten meters into the trip one of the front fenders falls off, so I stop, pick it up and shove it in the boot of the van. About five minutes later the other front fender drops to the ground and I do the same.

Five minutes after that I'm fiddling with the van's radio and look up from it just in time to watch myself plow into a tree and die.

That might be enough Summer Car for tonight.

• Locked thread