Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.
If I have spies stealing tech, does it matter where I put my counterspy? Do they need to be in the science district or is city center good enough?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Half the problem is that 5/6 warriors or 3 archers/2 warriors should not really be able to take a city, especially as easy as they do. I get removing the city shot mechanic untila fter walls but because the AI si pretty bad with its units you can pick theirs off easily and then surround the city with basically no chance of them stopping you.

Makes the game far too easy (the problem is the war AI, but the mechanics make it way way worse).

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I know firaxis said they'd improved barbarians but this is ridiculous

It's turn 8 for fucks sake!

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

rocket_Magnet posted:

You improve barbarians by removing them from the game. :colbert:

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Eh, just build a slinger. The AI really doesn't know how to deal with ranged units well.

e; That said, I do agree that they're a bit much

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The poo poo-ton of lower-tier units the AI usually has plus the fact that enemies take full advantage of your roads is a double whammy, because you can set up advantageous positions with your smaller number of elite units while the AI is stuck with a bunch of melee units in the back that can't get to the front lines.

Also the Native Conquest is a pretty good policy with this state of affairs, in my recent war of field cannon vs. spearmen I was making an extra 120 gold per turn mowing the spearmen down. Real Lord Kitchener poo poo

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
MadJinn, the streaming guy, posted a tweak to the tech tree on civfanatics. He says that the reworked tech tree causes the AI to upgrade their units and use a bigger variety of units.

No idea if it's true but...

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
So after that start I posted earlier, i restarted another 2 times; the first I had a barbarian horsemen & scout & spearman all roll up to my city edge on turn 18 (I'd seen the scout 4 turns earlier warrior had been chasing him around the area). Second game I turn off barbarians because gently caress it, turn 28 brazil, norway, russia, france declare formal war against me :psyduck:. I've managed to complete two games so far without any issues but I don't know what's going on tonight.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!

rocket_Magnet posted:

So after that start I posted earlier, i restarted another 2 times; the first I had a barbarian horsemen & scout & spearman all roll up to my city edge on turn 18 (I'd seen the scout 4 turns earlier warrior had been chasing him around the area). Second game I turn off barbarians because gently caress it, turn 28 brazil, norway, russia, france declare formal war against me :psyduck:. I've managed to complete two games so far without any issues but I don't know what's going on tonight.

I think the barbs press the AIs hard too, so with them gone, the Ais feel stronger for making war on you.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Leinadi posted:

MadJinn, the streaming guy, posted a tweak to the tech tree on civfanatics. He says that the reworked tech tree causes the AI to upgrade their units and use a bigger variety of units.

No idea if it's true but...

From what the modding forums are saying, there are three big issues with how the AI builds military units.

1) The God of the Forge pantheon belief is bugged. If anyone uses it, everyone gets the benefit. This makes ancient/classical military units so cheap that the AI can't help but spam them.
2) Each AI is heavily railroaded to follow a specific tech path, which may ignore key combat techs for far too long.
3) It turns out that almost no military land units had their pseudoflavors set up to point to "combat unit". So the AI doesn't even realized some military unit are military units.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

rocket_Magnet posted:

you can get that one tile outside your border. the scout takes one turn to get back, bam you've got a full spawn of horsemen to deal with. better hope there's not a second camp nearby...

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Freaking amateur work. They should just hire a few competent modders to patch up the game at this point.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
So I'm playing Rome allied to Egypt who started very near to me. It's all been good and we're allied, as well as both allied to Norway (halfway across the map). However I keep getting prompts saying 'An ally reports that Egypt is preparing a military assault on Rome', with Egypt having actually gathered a metric ton of forces near Rome. Despite the fact that I don't even have any forces on the same continent any more, a turn after I get the report Egypt just rearranges its forces and moves them away. This has happened at least a dozen times since game start, and despite my alliance running out and me only renewing it after a dozen turns, there's been no attack. Is this the AI being crap or is it a known bug?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Taear posted:

It has but they don't make cavalry and DO make knights. They also make mechanised infantry but I very rarely see them with normal infantry.

This may be an issue with tech priorities as much as it is with resource issues. I believe the AI will try to keep its army contemporary if it is able to, though there is some kind of weird logic with upgrading units such that it doesn't always, but if it loses units it will replace them with contemporary ones. Here's an example from Germany in my most recent Immortal game:

Of course the AI doesn't declare war very often past the Renaissance so this army went unused for the rest of the game.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Leaders who have been cool and fair with me:
  • Trajan
  • Tomyris

Leaders who have been unrepentant, unremitting dickholes:
  • Philip II

gently caress that guy and gently caress his unending stream of apostles and missionaries. I'm trying to get something done here, rear end in a top hat!

I had to literally surround one city with rangers to get him to back the gently caress off. :doom:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Magil Zeal posted:

This may be an issue with tech priorities as much as it is with resource issues. I believe the AI will try to keep its army contemporary if it is able to, though there is some kind of weird logic with upgrading units such that it doesn't always, but if it loses units it will replace them with contemporary ones. Here's an example from Germany in my most recent Immortal game:

Of course the AI doesn't declare war very often past the Renaissance so this army went unused for the rest of the game.

I'm sort of glad they can't do that. They make so many units and if they weren't always so behind war would be pretty loving dull.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Leaders who have been unrepentant, unremitting dickholes:
  • Cleopatra

She's the new Isabella, at least until Isabella shows up.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Taear posted:

I'm sort of glad they can't do that. They make so many units and if they weren't always so behind war would be pretty loving dull.

The wars are dull because they are so far behind..

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

That was a modded game for reference, with the mod that drastically scales up the cost of techs/civics in later eras. I don't know if it actually helped the AI any but it did seem to stay apace with me in terms of raw techs researched, Germany went for the more military techs while I was focused on culture. It's weird that Germany does that but then doesn't use the military. I may have also just played sub-optimally, though I think I expanded pretty well and built campuses and used the research building bonus doubling policy. Missing Albert Einstein (or whichever scientist gives +4 to universities) hurts though. The AI was unusually aggressive about going Democracy and sponsoring the Great People out from under my nose.

But anyway what I was getting at is that Germany seemed to invest in military techs specifically and then didn't really use the military. Also they don't repair spaceports when you sabotage them very well.

I think the thing that surprised me the most was that the AI actually built jet fighters and deployed them. For kicks in the postgame I tried to nuke them with bombers and they intercepted the bombers, stopping the nukes in the area immediately around their airport. Seems like historically in Civ the AI has been terrible at utilizing air power.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 7, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The Civ series needs less focus on graphics and snarky Sean Bean, and more focus on the AI. I know it's not an easy thing to program, but it really feels like they didn't put a whole of effort into it. Maybe customers just don't care.

I'm really forgiving when it comes to the Civ series but the more I play, the more I realize this game is just easy and won't have much replay value.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

flashman posted:

The wars are dull because they are so far behind..

I'd rather oneshot fifty warriors than have proper full on fights against 30 units that takes forever. Imagine that.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So I had a weird thing, only France still had its capital, I had most of the world under my control and all the city states on my side, and bam, loss. The hell?

I looked though the replaying, thinking maybe France had a culture victory or something. But nope.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Nov 7, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Did you hit the turn limit and have a lower score than France?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
How does the world look in terms of religion?

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

golden bubble posted:

1) The God of the Forge pantheon belief is bugged. If anyone uses it, everyone gets the benefit. This makes ancient/classical military units so cheap that the AI can't help but spam them.

3) It turns out that almost no military land units had their pseudoflavors set up to point to "combat unit". So the AI doesn't even realized some military unit are military units.

These two are excellent bugs. :allears:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

golden bubble posted:

Some guy on civfanatics went through on day 1 and added tags to all of these units so the AI actually recognizes them for their proper role. At least that's what I understand of it. It's ridiculous just how quickly people are finding and fixing this lazy poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Did you hit the turn limit and have a lower score than France?

I don't think so as it was only 1785 when the game ended.

Krazyface posted:

How does the world look in terms of religion?

That's probably it. I'm not clear on religion in this game, I've never actually managed to found one. The AI always seems to go hard for religion i've noticed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just found a reproducible bug where if I change my policies while the trade route menu is open, it crashes. where can I send my bug reports

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Taear posted:

I'd rather oneshot fifty warriors than have proper full on fights against 30 units that takes forever. Imagine that.

That just makes the AI unable to challenge you at all, if they had proper full on fights as you call it you could always play on the easier difficulties.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

The Human Crouton posted:

Some guy on civfanatics went through on day 1 and added tags to all of these units so the AI actually recognizes them for their proper role. At least that's what I understand of it. It's ridiculous just how quickly people are finding and fixing this lazy poo poo.

I've noticed ever since civ5 there have been some really laughable problems that even someone who isn't code savvy would find blatantly obvious and make you wonder how it ever got released like that because surely someone would of noticed it?

Maybe they need to hire some of the people who routinely make patches to these games because they always seem to find and fix these issues within a day.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The end of my last game was reclicking on city projects, reclicking on spies, reclicking on trade routes, and reclicking on the exhausted tech/civic tree. It was interminable

Edit: I had 34 trade routes

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 7, 2016

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I conquered a city that had 6 rainforest tiles and then proceeded to build Chichen Itza on it. That is one hell of a wonder if you're going for a culture victory.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
Those who made the leader animations really did a great job. I love making Cleopatra angry because watching her throw her little temper tantrum is great.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Hryme posted:

Those who made the leader animations really did a great job. I love making Cleopatra angry because watching her throw her little temper tantrum is great.

I like how Cleopatra is always looking at the player's dick in either fascination or disdain depending on her mood.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has there been any rumors about any kind of new content being released before the end of the year? Yea it's only been out a few weeks, but it feels like this was a game to get content released on a fairly regular schedule.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Maybe they need to hire some of the people who routinely make patches to these games because they always seem to find and fix these issues within a day.

Why hire them when the modders do it for free and people bought the game in an unfinished state anyway?

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Chucat posted:

Why hire them when the modders do it for free and people bought the game in an unfinished state anyway?

Getting really tired of this kind of whinging.

The difference between Civilization and similar games like Master of Orion and Galactic Civilizations is not that Civilization releases an incomplete game to fix later, and others release a finished game.

The difference is that Civilization actually gets continuing balance and functionality tweaks to improve the game over its entire lifecycle. You don't get that level of attention and commitment to improvement and refinement from other game series. Quit. Bitching.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Cobbsprite posted:

The difference is that Civilization actually gets continuing balance and functionality tweaks to improve the game over its entire lifecycle. You don't get that level of attention and commitment to improvement and refinement from other game series. Quit. Bitching.

I only remember one major patch after each expansion for Civ V. Anything not caught in that patch is usually left to haunt the game forever.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
Naw, it's fair to bitch about just how bad the AI actually is. It is making very obvious mistakes that absolutely should have been picked up on in testing and fixed pre-release. I'm not asking for it to be perfect out of the gate or even really good, just for it to not make immediately obvious mistakes like unit cycling till death in battle, carpeting the map with obsolete units and not realizing most military units are actually military units.

Edit: And a lot of it comes down to the fact that they've never made an AI that could handle one-unit-per-tile, and they should just scrap it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Edit: And a lot of it comes down to the fact that they've never made an AI that could handle one-unit-per-tile, and they should just scrap it.

Doomstacks are bad and worse than 1UPT by ... at least an order of magnitude. Possibly two or three.