Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

A good stainless steel pan retains heat well too.

Stainless steel does have good retention but it's also much thinner than cast iron and so it doesn't hold the same temperatures for as long. So when you put a steak in it, the temperature drops more than it would in cast iron and then has to jump back up. During this time, the outside is getting seared, but not as much heat is getting transferred to the interior.

I mean at the end of the day, the steak is still gonna be good either way. It's just if you're a steak elitist or need a morale boost due to your $165 ship going on sale for $20 less or have Lazrin-esque crippling depression the finer points may be sort of critical here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Solomonic posted:

Stainless steel does have good retention but it's also much thinner than cast iron and so it doesn't hold the same temperatures for as long. So when you put a steak in it, the temperature drops more than it would in cast iron and then has to jump back up. During this time, the outside is getting seared, but not as much heat is getting transferred to the interior.

I mean at the end of the day, the steak is still gonna be good either way. It's just if you're a steak elitist or need a morale boost due to your $165 ship going on sale for $20 less or have Lazrin-esque crippling depression the finer points may be sort of critical here.

I love my stainless pans, but there's only one pan I can cook both steak and eggs in.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Why isn't there a chef job in Star Citizen

I demand a $500 restaurant ship with a mocked-up reskin of Cook Serve Delicious and promises of food critic simulation

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
One point in favor of stainless steel: It's nonreactive so you can make a delicious wine sauce while the steak is resting.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Solomonic posted:

Why isn't there a chef job in Star Citizen

I demand a $500 restaurant ship with a mocked-up reskin of Cook Serve Delicious and promises of food critic simulation

I might have just had a whole bunch of "Sunday Night Wine" but I could swear I remember someone writing up a big thing about being a chef in Star Citizen and learning fantastical alien recipes to serve aboard their luxury-restaurant variant space hospital boat/usb dongle

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

One point in favor of stainless steel: It's nonreactive so you can make a delicious wine sauce while the steak is resting.

I make wine sauce in my cast iron all the time!

My seasoning game is strong.

e: although lately I've shifted to a Ponzu/Soy pan sauce because it goes super well with goat cheese crumbles on top of a good steak.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

I make wine sauce in my cast iron all the time!

My seasoning game is strong.

How's your tickling game?

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
You've convinced me Beet, I need to look more into this cast iron thing.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

orcinus posted:

How's your tickling game?

subpar. I'd never make it to the rank of black shirt in the pro tickling world.

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

You've convinced me Beet, I need to look more into this cast iron thing.

You'll never have a more versatile, or long-lasting, or loving heavy pan. Treat it right and you can do anything with it, including defend yourself against the Swedish hit squad CIG will invariably send after all of us.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Foo Diddley posted:

The way I make a steak is I go to the steak place and I say, "give me a steak"

:same:

I live on the third floor of a wooden building, so no grill for me, and that's the only way I like steak

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

AlbieQuirky posted:

I live on the third floor of a wooden building, so no grill for me, and that's the only way I like steak

If I bought a grill it'd be illegal

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Steak cooked on a stove-top is good.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

D1E posted:

Derek please don't call the FBI on me because I said LoD was a lovely game.

Thanks.

Derek please call the FBI on me!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Steak cooked on a stove-top is good.

This but unironically.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This but unironically.

I meant it unironically.

What the gently caress is going on with this game? Haven't they spent a poo poo load of money doing mo-cap with big name celebrities? Why have we only seen that stupid parp speech from a year ago?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I meant it unironically.

What the gently caress is going on with this game? Haven't they spent a poo poo load of money doing mo-cap with big name celebrities? Why have we only seen that stupid parp speech from a year ago?

Because they literally can't get any of the mocap to work.

Backers claim its because they "Don't want to spoil the story."

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Because they literally can't get any of the mocap to work.

Backers claim its because they "Don't want to spoil the story."

In a world where everything is datamined, that's a pretty small straw to grasp.

I wonder how everything could've been if they just didn't go with the stupid Tech-Demo Cry Engine

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
My question about the mo-cap could be extended to all aspects of the game. They preach about open development but never show anything of substance. All of the weekly shows are pure fluff. It truly blows my mind that citizens are satisfied with what they're seeing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Fargin Icehole posted:

In a world where everything is datamined, that's a pretty small straw to grasp.

I wonder how everything could've been if they just didn't go with the stupid Tech-Demo Cry Engine

The irony is that Star Citizen backers constantly datamine the game and then post all about it on :reddit:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

My question about the mo-cap could be extended to all aspects of the game. They preach about open development but never show anything of substance. All of the weekly shows are pure fluff. It truly blows my mind that citizens are satisfied with what they're seeing.

Because people are easily fooled. CIG does a really good job at having thousands of hours of footage with only a tiny amount of actual content.

Its exactly like wrestling or lovely anime filler.

Edited out a redundancy.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

CIG have spent 130000000$ just to prove that you can't build a MMO in the cryengine.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Sandweed posted:

CIG have spent 130000000$ just to prove that you can't build a MMO in the cryengine.

Except other, actually competent developers have built MMOs in cryengine.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Sandweed posted:

They have trouble building an FPS in CryEngine.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Somebody post that gif of Chris writing "dreams" on the white board.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The Titanic posted:

As George began clipping into the wall, he bit into his balled fist. "I deserve this, Jerry! Don't stop me now! I deserve this!"

"Who is this?"

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Foo Diddley posted:

Yeah sous vide sounds like a great idea

Let's keep meat at just the right temperature to breed microorganisms for a couple days

What could possibly go wrong?

There is plenty of info out there on this if you want to give it a read. Basically food safety is a function of temperature over time. You don't need to turn your food into charcoal in 10 seconds to kill off bacteria. It is fine to leave it at a certain lower temperatures over a longer time.

There is a "danger zone", i.e. a temperature zone in which bacteria find ideal temperatures to multiply, but that is somewhere around ~30 celsius, which is nowhere warm enough to prep meat sous vide. Essentially you don't want your food to sit for too long after taking it out of the sous vide bath, but since you either sear and serve or ice bath and refrigerate it, that'll not be a problem.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Why the gently caress are you using a sous-vide to cook meat for several days? :confused:

Its like... several hours, at most.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hopper posted:

There is plenty of info out there on this if you want to give it a read. Basically food safety is a function of temperature over time. You don't need to turn your food into charcoal in 10 seconds to kill off bacteria. It is fine to leave it at a certain lower temperatures over a longer time.

There is a "danger zone", i.e. a temperature zone in which bacteria find ideal temperatures to multiply, but that is somewhere around ~30 celsius, which is nowhere warm enough to prep meat sous vide. Essentially you don't want your food to sit for too long after taking it out of the sous vide bath, but since you either sear and serve or ice bath and refrigerate it, that'll not be a problem.

if(meat.smellgood == true) eat(meat);

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

TheAgent posted:

hello

SQ42
  • SQ42 is an "always online" game (not prelude)
  • both games are developed in parallel, but one is always holding the other back
  • SQ42 hooks directly in SC
  • your choices determine stats, starting credits and ships in the SC universe
  • NPC factions will react to you different depending on your choices in SQ42
  • certain NPCs from SQ42 will be in the SC universe and will have different things to say depending on player choice
  • items, clothing, weapons you buy for $ or in-game currency will carry over from single player to SC

SC
  • netcode is a problem; bigger problem are the servers
  • massive hardware upgrade needed for 2.6/3.0
  • "Nobody thought of the costs for something like this. It's too intense [on the server hardware]."
  • new server costs to host 2.6/3.0 changes easily quarter-mil a month for small test bed (hosting several hundred players) with millions to host 1,000s of players
  • this is due to how ships, players, combat, npcs and other critical gameplay components utilize CPU
  • nearly all of the above has to get refactored. that awesome damage model? refactored. your o2 level simulation? refactored. your fancy ships? refactored. AI? refactored. NPCs? refactored

Honest Q, do games like EVE etc pay similar levels of server related costs?

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

MedicineHut posted:

As someone with about as much game dev experience has Lazrin has, gently caress no they don't, break it down into a cost per user and "several hundred players for a quarter mill" sounds to me a lot like $250,000 to support 250 players, or a $1000/user/month and compare that to WoW's $15/month fee that Blizzard seem to have always make a tidy profit on and you can see how far away they are from the goal posts they themselves keep moving.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

MedicineHut posted:

I don't think many other games need a dedicated server for a 16-player instance

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Derek please call the FBI on me!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This but unironically.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

MeLKoR posted:

Sometimes these links direct me to the bottom of the page instead of the intended post.

I imagine this was what you intended?

:ohdear:

Ssh! Quiet Stop saying these things! Do you want to ruin everything?

You might be allowed to think that stuff, with the door locked, late at night, under the bedsheets... but for God's sake, don't say it out loud!

There are innocents here! You don't want them hearing you, do you? Think of the faithful!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

So I've been playing GTA5 like mad today, just stealing coke, reselling coke, robbing other players for their coke. Ya know, typical GTA5 day!

I was zipping along on my bike doing a wheelie when I hit the back bumper of a car just right and this picture was the result:

Did I respawn 30,000 feet away with no recourse but to kill myself? No. Did I jitter and clip through the map? Nope. Did I laugh and laugh as my bike soared through the air and then managed to land? Yes! I did.

Star Citizen Grand Theft Auto 5 is a great game.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Just look at that loving fake horizon that doesn't even curve with the planet's surface.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

if(meat.smellgood == true) eat(meat);

Finally! Someone who understands steak development.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Arbite posted:

"Who is this?"

Jerry: "So Chris, how's star marine coming along?"

Chris: "Oh, well.. I decided I'm not gonna do it."

Jerry: "Really? What a shock. So, when do I get my financial accounting?"

Chris: "There's no accounting. The pledge is off, I'm not gonna do it"

Jerry: "Yes. I know you're not gonna do it. That's why I pledged"

Chris: "There's no pledge if I'm not doing it!"

Jerry: "That's the pledge! That you're not doing it!"

Chris: "Yeah, well, I could do it. I don't want to do it."

Jerry: "We didn't pledge on if you wanted to. We pledged that it would be done."

Chris: "And it could be done."

Jerry: "Well, of course it could be done! Anything could be done! But it only is done if it's done. Show me the star marine! The pledge is star marine!

Chris: "But I don't want star marine! Star marine was just a game mode!"

Jerry: "That's the pledge!"

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Doe's poo poo-posting in this thread make me a content creator? I'm new to social media. How do I monetize this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Radio Paranoia posted:

Finally! Someone who understands steak development.

"Eat by" dates are another pet peeve of mine, I mean you can use them to determine freshness but for edibility? Nah, your nose and, to a lesser extent, your eyes, are much more accurate, especially for stuff like meat and dairy products

They're not exactly hard people, think "fruit"

• Locked thread