Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Suspect Bucket posted:

o.o

Not usually.... It's one of the standby 'salty and round umami flavors' you put on food. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_sauce Did you use Teriyaki, Ponzu, or Plum Sauce by accident?

There's an Indonesian soy sauce called Kecap Manis which is sweet, it's very common in Indonesia and the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah but Kecap Manis is thicker and much gloopier than just Soy sauce, wouldn't you notice?

Also to the person looking for Lemongrass, does any of your grocers sell jarred minced lemongrass because that keeps for ages and is a good sub if you can't get fresh.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Gerblyn posted:

There's an Indonesian soy sauce called Kecap Manis which is sweet, it's very common in Indonesia and the Netherlands.
There are actually sweet soy sauces in pretty much every place where soy sauce is an ingredient in the local cuisine(s). Soy sauce is one of those things that often gets treated as a single ingredient, while in fact it's a whole genre dotted with nearly endless regional variations. Like Japanese soy sauces are, taken as a whole, different from Chinese soy sauces...but at the same time the soy sauce you'll find on the table in your average place in Kansai is likely to be different from what's in the bottle on the table in the average place in downtown Tokyo. And both of those are different from what you'd expect to find in a random bottle in Nagoya, which in turn will more closely resemble a typical Chinese soy sauce than either of the other two. And so on.

That all said, I wonder if the soy sauce in question was in fact leftovers from cheap takaway. The little packet of brown spunk that comes with your order of General Joe's Twice-Lacquered Chicken almost certainly isn't actually soy sauce. At best it's going to be hydrolized soy proteins. And there's a non-negligible chance that it's just salty corn syrup with some MSG. If it's the latter, it's no surprise if it's sweet even if it's not labelled that way. A nicer place will throw packets of Kikkoman or some other utility-grade `real' soy sauce in, but random greasy chopstick stripmall Chinese places will go with Kari-Out, which is soy-ish sauce, or something even cheaper.

I mean I'm just spitballing here. No idea if that's what Tired Moritz was using. But takeaway packets seem like something that's more likely to end up in the pan with someone's first attempt at stir fry than kekap manis. Unless you happen to be in Indonesia or something.

SubG fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 7, 2016

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Well, it said Light soy sauce on the label and it had a flag with YOT on it. idk

also I tried making some dumplings but I cant cook why do I keep doing this to myself

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tired Moritz posted:

Well, it said Light soy sauce on the label and it had a flag with YOT on it. idk

also I tried making some dumplings but I cant cook why do I keep doing this to myself

What was wrong with them? They look like dumplings from here.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
they looked very oily and they're not pretty :(

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tired Moritz posted:

they looked very oily and they're not pretty :(

How did they taste?

How they look will get better with practice and them being too oily can also improve with technique. How were they otherwise?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Kinda salty, to be honest. I think I put too much salt.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Tired Moritz posted:

They don't look bad to me. The only way you're going to learn how to cook is to do it a lot and gently caress up a lot. Just keep at it and don't get discouraged when things turn out poorly, it's part of the process!

Look for naturally brewed light soy, or a generic Japanese one like Kikkoman are good places to start with soy sauce. Don't get dark that's for special usages you'll learn later if you get into Chinese cooking.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, those look great. Just keep making them.

SubG posted:

There are actually sweet soy sauces in pretty much every place where soy sauce is an ingredient in the local cuisine(s). Soy sauce is one of those things that often gets treated as a single ingredient, while in fact it's a whole genre dotted with nearly endless regional variations. Like Japanese soy sauces are, taken as a whole, different from Chinese soy sauces...but at the same time the soy sauce you'll find on the table in your average place in Kansai is likely to be different from what's in the bottle on the table in the average place in downtown Tokyo. And both of those are different from what you'd expect to find in a random bottle in Nagoya, which in turn will more closely resemble a typical Chinese soy sauce than either of the other two. And so on.

That all said, I wonder if the soy sauce in question was in fact leftovers from cheap takaway. The little packet of brown spunk that comes with your order of General Joe's Twice-Lacquered Chicken almost certainly isn't actually soy sauce. At best it's going to be hydrolized soy proteins. And there's a non-negligible chance that it's just salty corn syrup with some MSG. If it's the latter, it's no surprise if it's sweet even if it's not labelled that way. A nicer place will throw packets of Kikkoman or some other utility-grade `real' soy sauce in, but random greasy chopstick stripmall Chinese places will go with Kari-Out, which is soy-ish sauce, or something even cheaper.

I mean I'm just spitballing here. No idea if that's what Tired Moritz was using. But takeaway packets seem like something that's more likely to end up in the pan with someone's first attempt at stir fry than kekap manis. Unless you happen to be in Indonesia or something.

Back in summer of 2001, I was working in south Ireland. I had Sky TV, so I watched lots of British stuff. There was a scandal about the quality of the soy sauce in the take out packets that the take-out places handed out. The BBC sent a bunch to a lab, and not only were they 100% chemically hyrdolized protein, but most of them also contained carcinogenic byproducts. Something like 70% of them.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

o.o

Not usually.... It's one of the standby 'salty and round umami flavors' you put on food. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soy_sauce Did you use Teriyaki, Ponzu, or Plum Sauce by accident?

Run us through how you made it, and double check your bottles. What you described making should have been quite salty. Also, what's your general geographic location? Maybe we can suggest local ingredients and dishes that would be cheap and easy for you to find.

Indonesian keccap is sweet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have an open package of powdered gelatin that's like a year old. Does this stuff go bad? It doesn't look like it's sucked up a bunch of moisture or anything.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Those look fine. If something's coming out too oily, the causes are usually that either the oil wasn't hot enough, or they were put in before the oil came up to temperature. On the other hand, pre-heating the oil too hot makes it smoke and take on nasty flavors; it just takes practice and a few disappointments before you get the hang of it, like pretty much everyone else said.

Oh, two oil temperature tips: wet your hand and flick some water in it, see if it crackles and steams. Also look for the shimmering surface.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Nov 7, 2016

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I have a bunch of deli turkey that I don't want to go to waste but I don't want to just make sandwiches. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

lifts cats over head posted:

I have a bunch of deli turkey that I don't want to go to waste but I don't want to just make sandwiches. Anyone have any ideas/suggestions?

In a pan with gravy and mushrooms, served with mashed potatoes and green beans. It's not really creative or anything, but it's a tasty hot comfort-food meal.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

lifts cats over head posted:

Shred it and make quesadillas.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Yes, I know some soy sauces are sweet. That's why I said it's USUALLY salty. Vinegar is USUALLY sour, but it can also be sweet.

The pots tickets look fine. You'll get a feel with spices as you go. Maybe take a step back and experiment with more forgiving dishes, like stews or stuff you can ladle out over rice.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

I have an open package of powdered gelatin that's like a year old. Does this stuff go bad? It doesn't look like it's sucked up a bunch of moisture or anything.

If it's stayed quite dry it's probably fine. If it's taken on enough humidity to no longer be powdery I would at least be suspect of it.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I live in the Southern US and I would expect any conversation regarding soy sauce to be about a salty product, not a sweet one.

Maybe it's just regional.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

I live in the Southern US and I would expect any conversation regarding soy sauce to be about a salty product, not a sweet one.

Maybe it's just regional.

Nah, that's pretty much it here in the northern US too, a salty sauce for the table and something that makes your beef stock taste 'fuller' in the kitchen. The only question is whether you get the real stuff (e.g. Kikkoman) or the hydrolized protein stuff (e.g. La Choy).

Like others have said, though, there are sweeter soy sauces. I don't know where Tired Moritz lives, but around here I'd have to go out of my way to seek those out, instead of going to a supermarket for ordinary Kikkoman.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just dropping in to say I would happily put those dumplings in my mouf, though if they're salty as you said then that's a shame.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Anyone have goto recipes for summer sausage particularly for venison?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Recipe for kimchi that's still spicy, but on the milder end of the spectrum?

I'm trying to get the flavor of spiciness, but without so much of the direct heat. I don't want a straight-up mild kimchi though.

I made it before with chili garlic sauce and it turned out extremely spicy (I may have had my proportions wrong). I didn't mind it, but I'm making it for people.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
Are you using gochugaru? I've found you can just adjust the amount you put in and it's really easy to control the spiciness.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's also varying heat levels of gochugaru. Look for deolmaewoon gochugaru, which is mild pepper flake. Also, make sure you buy coarse, not fine. Adding the same volume of fine as you do coarse is gonna make it a lot spicier as well.

I like turtles
Aug 6, 2009

Anyone here made shola, the Afghan rice/mung bean dish? I only just found the proper name of the dish and have been binging on YouTube videos of the prep. They say sticky rice, but I'm doubting that it's the same type of sticky rice used in SE Asia - is it? Or is it just short grain rice or other starchy rice like arborio?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
My local supermarket has started selling "gochujang" sauce, is that something I could use to make Kimchi? I don't think I would be able to find any other types of Korean chili... Would it make much of a difference if I was to use a different type of chili?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

My local supermarket has started selling "gochujang" sauce, is that something I could use to make Kimchi? I don't think I would be able to find any other types of Korean chili... Would it make much of a difference if I was to use a different type of chili?

I'd use pizzeria-type dry crushed red pepper instead, or chopped fresh red chili peppers. Kimchi and other banchan I've had are pretty much like western pickles, raw spices and vegetables in salt, maybe with some sesame oil for things like sukjunamul. Gochujang is a sweet/spicy prepared condiment paste that usually goes on the table, not in kimchi.

Is there a particular recipe you're using?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

hogmartin posted:

I'd use pizzeria-type dry crushed red pepper instead, or chopped fresh red chili peppers. Kimchi and other banchan I've had are pretty much like western pickles, raw spices and vegetables in salt, maybe with some sesame oil for things like sukjunamul. Gochujang is a sweet/spicy prepared condiment paste that usually goes on the table, not in kimchi.

Is there a particular recipe you're using?

Nope, if you could suggest one that would be great! All I really know about Kimchi is that it's like spicy sauerkraut, and that I really liked it the 2 times I ate it in a restaurant.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Nope, if you could suggest one that would be great! All I really know about Kimchi is that it's like spicy sauerkraut, and that I really liked it the 2 times I ate it in a restaurant.

Start here: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/tongbaechu-kimchi

I haven't made that one, but her other recipes are great.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
Thank you very much!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

Thank you very much!

No problem, let us know how it turns out!

e: Oh, she has two others that are simpler/less work. They're linked on that page, but here they are, in case you just want to get some kimchi but aren't interested in all the work in the traditional recipe.
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/easy-kimchi
http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/yangbaechu-kimchi

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Nov 9, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gerblyn posted:

Gochujang is very different from gochugaru. They're made using the same peppers, but gochugaru (what's used in making kimchi) is dried and ground red pepper while gochujang is a condiment made using that pepper + a bunch of other stuff. You're not supposed to use gochujang or any other sort of condiment for the making of kimchi.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
My local international market sells bottles of kimchi paste. Anyone ever use that?

The one true heezy
Mar 23, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

My local international market sells bottles of kimchi paste. Anyone ever use that?

put a spoonful of that in anything

The one true heezy fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 9, 2016

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The only time I've been able to enjoy kimchi is in a dried and powdered form. I absolutely can not get over the terrible smell of regular jarred kimchi, it reminds me way too much of hot garbage and sewage. I do like the taste though, I wish I could get over that awful smell.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Suspect Bucket posted:

The only time I've been able to enjoy kimchi is in a dried and powdered form. I absolutely can not get over the terrible smell of regular jarred kimchi, it reminds me way too much of hot garbage and sewage. I do like the taste though, I wish I could get over that awful smell.

There are kimchis that are pasteurized, that might make a difference. I once threw out a jar of Asian grocery kimchi because it fizzed when I opened it, except I learned months later that's what it's supposed to do. Some people can eat Vlasic pickles all day but gag at the thought of a fermented deli-style half-sour. If it's the cabbage smell though, you're kind of out of luck :shrug:

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I bought a can of SPAM the other day because, well, gently caress if i know, it was on sale and i hadn't tried it.

What's the best way to make SPAM shine (if it even can)?

Hot spam and swiss?
Locomoco?
Spam + mac n cheese?
Spam musubi?
spam and eggs?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Amatriciana with spam is one of my secret guilty pleasures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

toplitzin posted:

What's the best way to make SPAM shine (if it even can)?

SPAM omurice.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 10, 2016