Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I loved parrying in 1 and silver knights basically forced me to learn how to, hosed around not doing it until I saw the first silver knight of this game

Can't help but say the timing is different but I'll get it eventually I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

The Irithyll knights are ridiculous at punishing rolls, too! That swing - delayed swing - swing - delayed swing 6 hit combo is relentless in forcing you to learn the roll patterns instead of panic rolling. It feels like this game has a lot of enemies and bosses purposefully punishing panic rolls with perfectly delayed attacks that hit just when you exit a mistimed roll. I can't remember anything like that from DS1 and DS2, but I really like it!

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

Some of the enemies can perfectly time hits after you've been knocked down, most don't but these fuckers are pretty much perfect when it comes to timing when my iframes are over

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Millwood knights were the only enemies that were able to consistently punish me for tumbleweeding away. Part of the reason I dont like them. They have a ton of health and super dangerous attacks, but it's not rewarding to kill them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you know a secret item that will make irithyl knights and the irithyl beasts really easy? shields. i know, insane, but they work!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Iretep posted:

you know a secret item that will make irithyl knights and the irithyl beasts really easy? shields. i know, insane, but they work!

Do you mean like having a grass crest shield on your back or something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
If you can give Pontiff Beasts a few good hits on the nose they'll stagger, and that's pretty much ballgame. They take an incredibly long time to recover from a riposte.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

AttackBacon posted:

Crow Talons: A strong addition to the claw class with some unique moves and a weapon art with amazing one-shot potential. Fills a similar niche to the existing claws but the new L button moves add a lot of variety and are very good.

I mean, maybe I'm blind, but the L1 combo on the crow talons looks exactly the same to me as all the other claw L1 combos? And somehow manages to have the same range despite looking 1.5 times longer than a normal claw.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

How does shield stability work, exactly? Specifically, I want to use Hawkwood's shield with 54 Stability, but how would that compare to the Iron Round Shield with 62 Stability in terms of stamina damage?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
stability is a %. 100 stability means you dont lose stamina from hits.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Iretep posted:

stability is a %. 100 stability means you dont lose stamina from hits.

This is why the difference between say a 50 and 75 stab shield is huge. You're not getting a 50% improvement; the amount of end damage you take goes from 50% to 25% i.e. you can block 2x as many attacks with the 75 stab shield. Although most medium shields are a bit crap for actually blocking with the heavier ones can be pretty drat good.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah 50 stability can break in two hits from a heavier weapon sometimes.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Oh alright. It would be neat to tank two straight sword hits at least, but I could just try it out... NPC phantoms don't to comparable damage to real invaders though, right? Could I just try it with Kirk or does he scale just like enemies?

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Obligatum VII posted:

I mean, maybe I'm blind, but the L1 combo on the crow talons looks exactly the same to me as all the other claw L1 combos? And somehow manages to have the same range despite looking 1.5 times longer than a normal claw.

The L1 combo is the same but the while running L1 and rolling L1 (I believe) are different. The while running L1 in particular is really good and is what I was specifically thinking of, it's practically a second weapon art. The regular claw L1 is a good move once you are in range (which the while running L1 and weapon art do a good job of, also rolling R1) especially versus shields, it can really lock them down.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
It's a little weird I've never seen anyone else using the Spiked Mace. It's real heavy and the bleed on it basically doesn't matter at all, but it's reasonably high-damage and the weapon art makes the thing fuckin' combo city. R1->L2->R1->L2->R2 is 7 hits, 6 of which are really wide-sweeping ones that hit like 300 degrees around you. Most of its attacks have poise frames, too.

I've got a hosed up build that's using it as a Sharp weapon and pumped my dex to 40 with only 22 strength, and it seems to take Infusions really well. It's more effective Sharp than Refined.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's a little weird I've never seen anyone else using the Spiked Mace.

When invading, it's one of the red flag weapons that the host is probably more dangerous than usual. I haven't used it much myself but the reach on the combos is devastating.

poo poo, now I want to make a character pretending to be an Evangelist. Can you stick carthus rouge on a blessed gem weapon? Or I guess failing that, cast the blessed weapon buff on a bleed gem weapon?

Sard fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 7, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Any weapon you have to farm I don't see much of.

SHY NUDIST GRRL fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 7, 2016

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That never stopped everyone and their dog using the Balder Side Sword in 1!!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Item discovery seems less generous in 3. Ot at least the gold snake rings worse.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mighty Dicktron posted:

That never stopped everyone and their dog using the Balder Side Sword in 1!!

That weapon never dropped for me. :argh:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

No one uses the carthus curved sword.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

If you want to block with a medium shield, just get a black knight shield. It's 7.5 units heavy but it has the best stability of all medium shields and good elemental resistances on top of that, get it to +4 with twinkling titanite by the end of the game and you're set. The only alternative is the shield of want wich is decent but this one and BKShield can't parry so take that into account. A weapon with good weapon art like Follower Sabre or Bestoc with shield splitter are good weapons to go with them.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Carthus Curved Sword, Dark Sword, Lothric Knight sword are popular weapons you have to farm.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 7, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Drop rate on dark sword seems really generous. Pretty sure you can buy all the lorthic swords.
Ccs yeah. Why is it considered better than the curved swords longer than it?

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
I killed about a hundred evangelists in the little overpass above the alley in undead burg on my man-mode guy without it dropping, and gave up, then got 1 on my paladin just playing through the burg normally, and another at the Cathedral of the Deep.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The two swords (as far as I know) longer than it are the Pontiff Knight and Storm Curved Sword at 393 and 370 AR, respectively, with 40/40. Neither can be buffed. The Carthus Curved Sword has an AR of 438 when infused with refined, can be buffed, and has innate bleed. And the ccs is so long to begin with, it makes no difference that it's technically "shorter".

I feel like the curved swords could lose 100 AR and still be very good weapons, since they're so long and fast - it's just absurd the ccs does 500-700 damage per R1-combo with that swing speed

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Drop rate on dark sword seems really generous. Pretty sure you can buy all the lorthic swords.

Yeah forgot that you can buy the Lothric Swords later but you can farm the straight sword right at the start, sorry. Forgot about heavy weapons that you can farm and are good like the Greataxe, Spiked Mace, Black Knight Greataxe, Black Knight Greatsword and Carthus Curved Greatsword (this thing scales great with infusions).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Did rando get the ccgs on my quality character. Never hear about it so I didn't know if anyone liked it.

Could have swore the ccs couldn't be buffed but maybe I'm thinking of another weapon people did the tumble buff glitch with

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Maleh-Vor posted:

I killed about a hundred evangelists in the little overpass above the alley in undead burg on my man-mode guy without it dropping, and gave up, then got 1 on my paladin just playing through the burg normally, and another at the Cathedral of the Deep.

standard dark souls behaviour. You won't find that awesome dex weapon on your dex character, but you'll end up with 10 on your str character. Or whatever.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It's a little weird I've never seen anyone else using the Spiked Mace. It's real heavy and the bleed on it basically doesn't matter at all, but it's reasonably high-damage and the weapon art makes the thing fuckin' combo city. R1->L2->R1->L2->R2 is 7 hits, 6 of which are really wide-sweeping ones that hit like 300 degrees around you. Most of its attacks have poise frames, too.

I've got a hosed up build that's using it as a Sharp weapon and pumped my dex to 40 with only 22 strength, and it seems to take Infusions really well. It's more effective Sharp than Refined.

The Spiked Mace was actually a really popular weapon near launch cause of the ridiculousness of the Spin Bash skill at the time. You don't see it as much now that that has been nerfed. Still definitely one of the better great hammers since it's fairly light and pretty powerful for it (unlike the Great Wooden Hammer :( ).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The harder a weapon is too farm to more powerful it is. This is why the harpe and giant wooden mallet are top tier.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Internet Kraken posted:

The harder a weapon is too farm to more powerful it is. This is why the harpe and giant wooden mallet are top tier.

I got 2 Great Wooden Hammers killing that one guy that was on the way to the Evangelist, too. Dark Souls.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Maleh-Vor posted:

I got 2 Great Wooden Hammers killing that one guy that was on the way to the Evangelist, too. Dark Souls.

No matter how dumb the drops in this series get, they will never top the first time I rolled into Tseldora and smashed a spider the size of a weimaraner, only for it to fade away in a cloud of souls and leave behind a great scythe.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

skasion posted:

No matter how dumb the drops in this series get, they will never top the first time I rolled into Tseldora and smashed a spider the size of a weimaraner, only for it to fade away in a cloud of souls and leave behind a great scythe.

Same but a Zweihander.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

skasion posted:

They could drop the Zweihander too. On my first run I already had one so there you go, powerstanced Zweihanders because FROM put random weapon drops from a bigass spider.

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Maybe they like to carry them around. For decoration.

I got a Ricard's Rapier from one of those and thought it had some meaning, now that I think about it. I started wondering about whether he got killed by spiders. Not sure if I'd found the one in the chest by then.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 7, 2016

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MarshyMcFly posted:

The dragonslayer spear is AWFUL in PVP. It's probably the most parriable weapon in the game and its weapon art is a big sign saying "please riposte me!" The swordspear on the other hand has a less predictable move set that when 2 handed has hyper armor too. I'd argue that the sword spear is better in duels because if you activate the weapon art at range you know if they are going to charge you for a backstab only to get blasted by lightning. It also buffs the weapon too which is primarily what I use it for. In brawls it's awful because the weapon art is backstabbable and you need a big wind up for it. One dude coming behind you that you don't know about could ruin your day with that thing. I usually don't use the weapon art in 3v3s or brawls.

I have a lovely unfocused build that uses that spear in PvP. I never even got around to picking up the Leo Ring either.

I do..... alright, I suppose. Not brilliant, but I've got a handful of strategies that work reliably against people who don't know what they are doing. Frequent backsteps followed by occasional R1s to keep people at range, or dodging through attacks and then doing running attacks when people try to dodge away. Also the BA makes people panic-roll like crazy. I do get parried occasionally, but that's just a risk you take with most weapons.

It's extremely difficult to win with against somebody who does know what they are doing, though, but on the other hand it's incredibly satisfying to see somebody pulling out Friede's scythe and telegraphing that they're going to immediately go all-in with the spinning attack, backing off, then charging in and skewering them, turning their instant win button into an instant lose :getin:

I just don't want to use tryhard meta weapons and would rather try to outplay people with something slightly unusual.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

On PVP people tend to underestimate how good is Greataxe's rolling attack. I love the fast and short ranged smash that the large and great club lost from DS1. It may be the shorter range on the Greataxe compared to Yhorm's but people usually go reckless thinking that their longer straightsword or CCS can trade hits with it then they get pancaked or get comboed by it.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Yeah the range is poo poo, but the speed is great. You can easily punish people chasing your rolls.

I think I'm going to try two fisting a spear with the paint guardian sword. Spear seems like the best compliment to it, as anything bigger I deffo want to two hand. Does that logic seem good?

Should I go with great lance the best weapon in the game

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Sapozhnik posted:

I have a lovely unfocused build that uses that spear in PvP. I never even got around to picking up the Leo Ring either.

I do..... alright, I suppose. Not brilliant, but I've got a handful of strategies that work reliably against people who don't know what they are doing. Frequent backsteps followed by occasional R1s to keep people at range, or dodging through attacks and then doing running attacks when people try to dodge away. Also the BA makes people panic-roll like crazy. I do get parried occasionally, but that's just a risk you take with most weapons.

It's extremely difficult to win with against somebody who does know what they are doing, though, but on the other hand it's incredibly satisfying to see somebody pulling out Friede's scythe and telegraphing that they're going to immediately go all-in with the spinning attack, backing off, then charging in and skewering them, turning their instant win button into an instant lose :getin:

I just don't want to use tryhard meta weapons and would rather try to outplay people with something slightly unusual.

I think the key is that once you've got enough PvP experience you can win against most people even if you're not using the top meta weapons. I'm using the carthus curved greatsword, and even though it's slow and parryable I win most matches simply because most people don't know how to counter it or simply don't care to use the top tier meta. Sure, I'll have no chance against a confident player with a curved sword and a parrying tool, but those are actually kinda rare! And since I know it's easy to parry, I try not to be too predictable.

Carthus Curved Greatsword is super fun either way! Curved Greatswords are like quick Ultra Greatswords since they have the same poise properties, only they need less stamina. You can poise through straightswords, curved swords, scythes etc with almost no poise at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.
Yeah, a lot of the Youtubers who just pvp a ton consistently manage to wreck people with garbage tier weapons like the Handmaid's Dagger and Arstor's Spear. There's a whole lot more than just having a good moveset on your weapon, and most of it is just intuition and timing, like it becomes in most multiplayer games.