Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
fat people ruin mattresses at amazing speeds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hargrimm posted:

I've been seeing signs around town for a high school doing a mattress sale fundraiser. How the hell often do people replace mattresses that there's a sustainable market for that??

Used to be you replaced your mattress every couple of decades, but mattress marketing has been steadily decreasing the interval. Now you have Erik Estrada on TV telling us if it's over eight it's time to replace.

Apparently telling people they're sleeping on an ever growing pile of dead mites, discarded skin cells, and gallons of dried sweat works.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

If you're a regular sex-haver like me it also reduces the life-span of mattresses to, like, maybe two or three years at most. Someone buying mattresses often is prettymuch a guaranteed sign of virility. Now you know!

HIRE ME SLEEP COUNTRY

z16bitsega
Nov 26, 2005

Hargrimm posted:

I've been seeing signs around town for a high school doing a mattress sale fundraiser. How the hell often do people replace mattresses that there's a sustainable market for that??

"Did you realize 1 in 10 people buy a new mattress every year?"

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I am pretty sure that means "each year, one in ten people buy a new mattress" not, "out of ten people, there is one person who habitually buys new mattresses every year"

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Used to be you replaced your mattress every couple of decades, but mattress marketing has been steadily decreasing the interval. Now you have Erik Estrada on TV telling us if it's over eight it's time to replace.

Apparently telling people they're sleeping on an ever growing pile of dead mites, discarded skin cells, and gallons of dried sweat works.

I paid $80 to have somebody use a special heavy duty vacuum thingy and anti-goon spray on my mattress.

I dunno, I think it's money well spent although there's a pretty good chance it's all placebo. Even if it's done nothing, I feel like I've done everything possible to manage my hayfever and asthma.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

z16bitsega posted:

"Did you realize 1 in 10 people buy a new mattress every year?"

This is a no pressure sale

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

froglet posted:

I paid $80 to have somebody use a special heavy duty vacuum thingy and anti-goon spray on my mattress.

I dunno, I think it's money well spent although there's a pretty good chance it's all placebo. Even if it's done nothing, I feel like I've done everything possible to manage my hayfever and asthma.

Just get a dust cover man, then you can take it off periodically and wash it.

I had to get a new mattress last year after my 10 year-old one develop a noticeable dip in the middle. Buying a mattress sucks, most department/mattress stores all sell the exact same product that has just been rebranded, trying to buy one based on reviews seems fraught with peril, and laying on one in a store for 5 minutes never feels adequate. I ended up getting one at Sears and it worked out fine I guess. Now I'm just on a never-ending quest to find some pillows that don't turn to poo poo after ~4 months.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

Mathematically there is no negative zero. WTF is a "direct check"? My initial take on this whole transaction is that you're full of crap.

A check written pay to the order of Troop 123. Had I not been several Jameson's deep I probably would have written it "direct donation" to help you better understand my lies on the internet.

defectivemonkey posted:

Dude that popcorn is delicious though.

As a former peddler of that popcorn back in the day I knew exactly what I didn't need tempting me in my own home.

Sirotan posted:

Just get a dust cover man, then you can take it off periodically and wash it.

I had to get a new mattress last year after my 10 year-old one develop a noticeable dip in the middle. Buying a mattress sucks, most department/mattress stores all sell the exact same product that has just been rebranded, trying to buy one based on reviews seems fraught with peril, and laying on one in a store for 5 minutes never feels adequate. I ended up getting one at Sears and it worked out fine I guess. Now I'm just on a never-ending quest to find some pillows that don't turn to poo poo after ~4 months.

There was a A/T thread years ago on buying a mattress. It was invaluable when I was purchasing a new one to replace mine which was worn out beyond belief. Basically ignore brands unless it's a proprietary mattress of some kind. Before even laying on it look at the contents: Spring count, construction, pocketing, something else. The seller has a big book of this, make them drag it out. Once you have an idea of the difference between the various mattresses, lay on the one with the correct firmness for your body. Once you find the one you think you like, lay on it for 10 minutes without moving, set a timer. If it's still comfy consider buying it. All prices are negotiable.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 6, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

http://jalopnik.com/what-to-do-when-youre-stuck-in-a-massive-auto-loan-1788572217

Discuss

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Their car payment is as much as my rent. :psyduck:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
My neighbor is trading up fully loaded trucks every 2-3 years, while rolling his negative equity into the next loan. Of course he has no clue how much he owes, it's just "payments I can afford". What is the current payment you ask? $950/month. On a truck that MSRP something like 45k, or 32K if you buy it a year later when new inventory rolls in. I've no idea how people live like that.
Edit: It's a leisure vehicle, he doesn't need a loving truck.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nitrox posted:

My neighbor is trading up fully loaded trucks every 2-3 years, while rolling his negative equity into the next loan. Of course he has no clue how much he owes, it's just "payments I can afford". What is the current payment you ask? $950/month. On a truck that MSRP something like 45k, or 32K if you buy it a year later when new inventory rolls in. I've no idea how people live like that.
Edit: It's a leisure vehicle, he doesn't need a loving truck.

"If I don't have a truck nobody will respect me and I won't respect myself" has always been such a bizarre mindset to me even growing up in the south and everything

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A lot of car dealerships try to reel customers back in by offering to "upgrade" their car after a few years with the exact same monthly payment. Of course, you go from less than a year away from being fully paid off back to a fresh 5 year loan, but that's not as important as showing off your new car to the neighbors.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Konstantin posted:

A lot of car dealerships try to reel customers back in by offering to "upgrade" their car after a few years with the exact same monthly payment. Of course, you go from less than a year away from being fully paid off back to a fresh 5 year loan, but that's not as important as showing off your new car to the neighbors.

I still get like quarterly "hey we sold you a car but maybe you'd like ANOTHER CAR???" poo poo in the mail that reminds me of Amazon's terrible attempt at targeted advertising where they think that because you just bought a washing machine you totally want to see nothing but washing machines because gosh you love washing machines right

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ate all the Oreos posted:

I still get like quarterly "hey we sold you a car but maybe you'd like ANOTHER CAR???" poo poo in the mail that reminds me of Amazon's terrible attempt at targeted advertising where they think that because you just bought a washing machine you totally want to see nothing but washing machines because gosh you love washing machines right

Why have they not fixed that yet. Is there some counterintuitive marketing thing I'm not getting, or are they seriously just that bad at being a store

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Don't clean shame tia

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

"If I don't have a truck nobody will respect me and I won't respect myself" has always been such a bizarre mindset to me even growing up in the south and everything

I once told a girlfriend who didn't really grow up in the south but identified as southern that if I was to own a truck, it would be a beater Ranger or F-150 because I wouldn't want a fancy $50K truck and I think that was the most concern I had ever seen on her face. No exaggeration. Everyone's consumerism is non-sensical, but automobiles seem to be so big in scale and give so many opportunities for regular people to set tens of thousands of dollars on fire. It's harder to do that at Crate and Barrel or whatever hole yuppies throw their money into.

BWM - I'm buying a bunch of craft beers as part of a friend's wedding gift. It's difficult for him to get them, and I'm around a bunch of famous craft breweries. I went to shops to buy some and holy poo poo, I get that they have high alcohol content but it's like $7-$15 a bottle. Then I thought about how much the people I know who are into craft beer drink, and I was stunned to think about how much they spend a month on this stuff.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Blinkman987 posted:

I once told a girlfriend who didn't really grow up in the south but identified as southern that if I was to own a truck, it would be a beater Ranger or F-150 because I wouldn't want a fancy $50K truck and I think that was the most concern I had ever seen on her face. No exaggeration. Everyone's consumerism is non-sensical, but automobiles seem to be so big in scale and give so many opportunities for regular people to set tens of thousands of dollars on fire. It's harder to do that at Crate and Barrel or whatever hole yuppies throw their money into.

Yeah, everyone has a go at me because I drive a hatchback, as that is apparently a "girl's car".

They're wrong, anyway, women these days are driving two-ton SUV's.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Yeah, everyone has a go at me because I drive a hatchback, as that is apparently a "girl's car".

They're wrong, anyway, women these days are driving two-ton SUV's.

I have to agree SUVs are extremely girly, same with underwater trucks.

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

My favourite dealership angle is when they pretend that they have customers clamoring to buy your used car, so you'll get a really good trade-in value!

A couple of months ago I got a mailer with a handwritten note, "We NEED your 2008 Aveo!!" It's an 8-year-old absolute shitbox economy car, but someone took the time to write that in actual pen, so I am convinced.

Trillian fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 6, 2016

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Blinkman987 posted:

BWM - I'm buying a bunch of craft beers as part of a friend's wedding gift. It's difficult for him to get them, and I'm around a bunch of famous craft breweries. I went to shops to buy some and holy poo poo, I get that they have high alcohol content but it's like $7-$15 a bottle. Then I thought about how much the people I know who are into craft beer drink, and I was stunned to think about how much they spend a month on this stuff.

In Singapore, a lot of those craft beers would typically run S$20-30+/bottle (15-25 USD). Even poo poo beer is usually at least S $12 (~8.50USD). The cheapest I've ever seen was cans on promotion at the grocery store for about $4/each.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Trillian posted:

My favourite dealership angle is when they pretend that they have customers clamoring to buy your used car, so you'll get a really good trade-in value!

A couple of months ago I got a mailer with a handwritten note, "We NEED your 2008 Aveo!!" It's an 8-year-old absolute shitbox economy car, but someone took the time to write that in actual pen, so I am convinced.

Every couple of months we get a call from the dealer that sold my wife a car back in 2015 begging us to sell it back to them. Are they seriously that hard up for business that they think there's any chance in hell that I'm desperate to upgrade from a 1.5 year old car?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Zo posted:

fat people ruin mattresses at amazing speeds

Another reason not having sex is GWM. Your mattress lasts FOREVER. To say nothing about the not having kids.

RealityWarCriminal fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Nov 7, 2016

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Powerlurker posted:

Every couple of months we get a call from the dealer that sold my wife a car back in 2015 begging us to sell it back to them. Are they seriously that hard up for business that they think there's any chance in hell that I'm desperate to upgrade from a 1.5 year old car?

Sure, they'd love to pay trade-in prices for a 2 year old car whose greatest depreciation has already occurred.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I just took my car in for a valve clearance adjustment at the dealership. They called me back after I set the appointment because "the manager wants to ask if we can do a free appraisal while we're doing the work".

No :mad:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Just offer a price that you'd be satisfied with, paid with a check, and watch the backpedaling.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
It's not uncommon for sales people to wander into the maintenance waiting room at the dealerships here to try to sell cars to people waiting for maintenance.

Why yes instead of paying for an oil change I would like to buy a new vehicle instead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Problem! posted:

It's not uncommon for sales people to wander into the maintenance waiting room at the dealerships here to try to sell cars to people waiting for maintenance.

Why yes instead of paying for an oil change I would like to buy a new vehicle instead.

I know someone who did that. "But I got a great deal, and my payments are the same."
Traded up a 2 year old Avalon for a new one

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Problem! posted:

This is a depressingly common thing and one of the major reasons that dealerships offer to service your car for free / cheap. One of my coworkers went in to get her oil changed and wipers replaced for free. She went in with a 2014 Lexus SUV and left with a 2016 Lexus SUV. I have no idea how you could buy a new car so cavalierly.

"It was a free upgrade! That's why I like Lexus. They actually TAKE CARE of their customers!" She thinks a car payment is just a thing that exists forever.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have no idea how you could buy a new car so cavalierly.

I ordered my car from my phone over the web, riding in the back of a taxi. Friction of purchase is the enemy!

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

"It was a free upgrade! That's why I like Lexus. They actually TAKE CARE of their customers!" She thinks a car payment is just a thing that exists forever.

Sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy there. If you live life in a way that leads to permanent debt then car payments (not to mention other debt) do technically exist forever.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007
Bad with Money: My aunt's husband (I could call him my uncle, but what he did was so goddamn retarded that I feel compelled to point out he's not related to me by blood) spent most of his career working for a trust company, literally managing other people's money, so you'd think he'd know how to keep his finances in order. And for most of his life, that was the case. He had a lovely house in a really nice town, drove old cars, put his 4 kids through college and got them launched on good stable careers.

Then he retired. And got bored sitting around the house. So he decided to start daytrading. And then one day my poor aunt comes home and he tells her they have to sell the house, ASAP, because he had been trading with borrowed money or on margin or some other imbecility that he really should have had nothing to do with. They're not destitute or anything, but they had a nice house and a quiet retirement to look forward to and now they're in a much worse rental house and are both back working again.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
uh yeah lol day trading has nothing to do with managing money or budgeting or anything so i'm not sure why you're bringing up his job or whatever, it's just straight up gambling.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Problem! posted:

I had a friend in high school whose dad ended up with a Dodge Viper this way. Wish I could recall what vehicle was getting the oil change.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Zo posted:

uh yeah lol day trading has nothing to do with managing money or budgeting or anything so i'm not sure why you're bringing up his job or whatever, it's just straight up gambling.

Gambling with borrowed money. Leverage is so sweet at multiplying profits and losses. He probably would have been better off just going to the casino.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When I bought my car the dealer gave me a coupon for a free oil change, and then I got to ~spin the wheel~ and see what fabulous other prize I'd get (the people before me got the grand prize of a cruise!)

I got 3 free oil changes.

The dealership is like 80 miles from where I live, I threw the coupons in the trash.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Was there anything good on the wheel?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

Was there anything good on the wheel?

I mean like I said there was an actual cruise, and I watched the people before me win the cruise (he didn't just make that up). Other than that the only good things were a couple of slots where you got $50 cash. The rest was just oil changes and a "free MP3 player!!!" that was one of those incredibly cheap garbage ones you can get in bulk for $1 each from China or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Horse timeshare equity!

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/5bka04/my_24f_just_had_to_stand_up_financially_to_my_30f/

quote:

My mom, sister and I went in on a horse together 1.5 years ago. We thought it would be a great way to bond with one and other as well as pursue a hobby. We ended up buying a horse that was more or less like a rescue situation, but we didn't know the depth of what we were getting into until later on into our ownership.

The horse will not train well under saddle (which was the sole purpose of us purchasing) , ended up having many health issues that were not prevalent during the vet check, and he destroys the paddock in various ways throughout the week which means we either a) pay for a fix or b) pay for the supplies and fix it ourselves.

Fast forward to tonight, I broke the news that I would no longer be financially supportive of this decision as prior discussions and agreements were in place. I have even told my mom that my share of the horse when/if he is sold can go directly into her pocket. That's a minimum of $2500 which the potential of more. My mom and sister are so mad at me right now they wont even talk to me. My sister called me selfish, my mom feels slighted and I feel like finally standing up for myself financially has put me in a really bad place with the two of them.

My sister shops. A lot. She is constantly coming home with designer handbags, boots, coats, and at least 3 times a week there is a box on our doorstep with something new she has purchased online. I don't know the dollar amount of how much she spends on her personal shopping, but it's completely obvious that it surpasses my percentage of the horse, and more.

Horse timeshare equity!

• Locked thread