Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Hello knit thread! 'Tis the season for getting a jump on Christmas presents for everyone! I've got two I just started up:

Exhibit A:

I bought that yarn literally over five years ago and I don't even remember why. I have two brothers so I probably thought it would be suitable for them. Yet as I started making this scarf (simple rib + cable every ten rows) it became increasingly clear that this yarn is hideous. I became despondent and wanted to quit but my partner encouraged me to keep going, reminding me that we have at least a few friends who would wear this ironically. Sadly the yarn itself is also bog-standard acrylic so it really has no redeeming qualities. Is there anything that would actually look good with this or should I get rid of whatever's left after this horrible scarf?

Exhibit B:

Before starting this I announced my intentions to my partner to make him a scarf. I then made him a bunch of swatches showing off various stitches. He immediately gravitated to the garter stitch and insisted he wanted that one. I told him he probably didn't really want garter stitch, how about this nice basket weave or drop stitch pattern? Still, he stuck firm to his choice so here I am making the first garter stitch scarf I've done since I first started knitting about ten years ago. And...it actually looks good! I found some nice yarn in his two favorite colors that's deliciously soft to the touch so this one may be worth losing street cred with all the cool knitting kids.

Next I wanna make fingerless gloves so I'll regain my knitting street cred that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Xibanya posted:

Hello knit thread! 'Tis the season for getting a jump on Christmas presents for everyone! I've got two I just started up:

Exhibit A:

I bought that yarn literally over five years ago and I don't even remember why. I have two brothers so I probably thought it would be suitable for them. Yet as I started making this scarf (simple rib + cable every ten rows) it became increasingly clear that this yarn is hideous. I became despondent and wanted to quit but my partner encouraged me to keep going, reminding me that we have at least a few friends who would wear this ironically. Sadly the yarn itself is also bog-standard acrylic so it really has no redeeming qualities. Is there anything that would actually look good with this or should I get rid of whatever's left after this horrible scarf?

By itself? No probably not, but I did use an almost identical wool yarn as the contrasting stripe color in a Turn A Square cap. It looked really good as the main color was a darker green similar to one of the color changes so the stripes would fade in and out.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Please don't continue, it's way too much effort to end up with something you hate. Even the cable is unlikely to be visible. If you must, it would at least look better as a honey cowl (or a tube scarf with that stitch pattern). Or search the rav forums for patterns suggested for "clown barf." Or just don't use yarn you hate, you can always donate it and someone will be grateful! If you're on a budget to replace it, Berroco Vintage is a cheap wool-acrylic blend that feels and looks great.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Xibanya posted:

Exhibit A:

If you want to use it: use it as a stripe with a solid color, picked from that mess of a colorway. A scarf that's mostly solid with stripes of the variegated stuff, or blocks of it, might be enough to tame it. Anne Whateley's Honey Cowl idea is good too. Slipped stitches sometimes help this sort of thing.

You could use the planned pooling generator to get a pattern out of it.

But honestly it's acrylic, so if you don't like the colors give it to somebody who does. A school, Goodwill, anybody. Marie Kondo that poo poo.

The friends who might wear it ironically are welcome to learn how to knit, and can finish it! ;)

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Wow that yarn. Is it supposed to be camo?

Anyone else falling for the Westknits MKAL trap again this year? I ended up not liking and not finishing the Doodler, but had fun somehow anyway. So I joined and went to the yarn store and accidentally spent way too much money. My family is gone Saturday so I figure I will drink beer, watch some terrible TV (probably 90 Day Fiancee) and knit the first clue.

E: I just figured out Vogue Knitting Live is in my hood this year. Has anyone ever been? Is it worth $20 to go yarn shopping? I'm guessing not really, but maybe I should check it out.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 6, 2016

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Xibanya posted:

Exhibit A:

That yarn is hideous.

If you knit a scarf like that again use a reversible cable pattern like on here so it'll look the same on both sides.

Sodium Chloride fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 6, 2016

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hello knitting thread, I do not have any of my own knits to share with you, but I did want to share this collection of supremely good sweaters. I would unironically wear the ice cream one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Thank you for those supremely . . . something sweaters. I think the one most likely to succeed today is "I'M A LUXURY," but I won't be testing that theory!

HungryMedusa, I haven't been to VKL (I've always thought it's kind of a ripoff to pay to shop) but I think friends are going to drag me this year. I think it'd be worthwhile if there's a class you want to take or friends you want to go with, or maybe if you have no good LYSes nearby.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Killingyouguy! posted:

Hello knitting thread, I do not have any of my own knits to share with you, but I did want to share this collection of supremely good sweaters. I would unironically wear the ice cream one.

My favorite is the crouching cat with a mouse toy for the pocket. I might steal that idea for some small children in my life.

I had a sweater with a train on it in the 80's. AND one with a horse! (Or a unicorn, I can't remember.) The 80's were all about clipart on clothing.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Anne Whateley posted:

Thank you for those supremely . . . something sweaters. I think the one most likely to succeed today is "I'M A LUXURY," but I won't be testing that theory!

HungryMedusa, I haven't been to VKL (I've always thought it's kind of a ripoff to pay to shop) but I think friends are going to drag me this year. I think it'd be worthwhile if there's a class you want to take or friends you want to go with, or maybe if you have no good LYSes nearby.

I decided to go ahead and take a class tomorrow at VKL. I agree the "pay to shop" thing is bullshit, so in order to go to this thing I wanted to at least take a class. I am taking Debbie Stoller's double knitting class. I know I could figure the technique out myself with youtube, but it's a fun excuse to get out of the house and just make something for a while.

I also plan on buying enough yarn for my next sweater, but if poo poo is too expensive I will bail. I llive in the Twin Cities, so I have good LYS coverage already. I am hoping to find a good deal on something, maybe from WEBS. We'll see.

Aaand, holy poo poo those 80s sweaters! The banana guy looks a lot like my husband's friend so we will be saving that image for the right time to shame him with it.

E: Went to VKL. I liked the class I took a lot. I now know how to double knit. If it comes back and there is a class I want to take, I would do it again. The merch area was OK; there were plenty of niche interesting vendors along with the bigger ones. Stuff was not cheap though.

I ended up buying a sweater's worth of Tosh Vintage from WEBS and getting the 25% off was nice. If I wasn't in the market for a whole sweater of nicer yarn the marketplace would not have been worth it for me.

HungryMedusa fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 7, 2016

my formal jorts
Oct 19, 2004
Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'd like to learn how to start spinning on a wheel. Can anyone recommend some clear and thorough youtube tutorials? I've had mixed results from random searches and I'm hoping someone is aware of some good ones!

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

hatbadger posted:

Not sure if this is the best place to ask, but I'd like to learn how to start spinning on a wheel. Can anyone recommend some clear and thorough youtube tutorials? I've had mixed results from random searches and I'm hoping someone is aware of some good ones!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3337961

We have a whole spinning thread, there's user overlap but I'm sure this will help you more.

my formal jorts
Oct 19, 2004
:doh: really should have used that search function. Thankyou!

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
Thanks for the advice on the clown barf, everybody! Decided to abandon the project. I also started over on the other scarf to do a somewhat more interesting pattern. Here it is!

Should have made the garter sections wider though as it curls a bit at the sides, but I figure for a scarf it'll be fine.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
Made some more stuff and took pictures of it:

Mitt Envy in Knit Picks Capretta

I was unsure about knitting these, since I never wear fingerless mitts, but I asked my brother for sock yarn last year and he bought me off-white yarn... I don't want to know what the bottom of those socks would look like after two wears. I ended up really happy with these, and since Seattle is colder than anywhere else I've lived, I've already worn them twice. I really liked the yarn and I wish it came in weathered or subtle tone-on-tone variations, since I'm generally not a huge fan of yarns that are this solid.

I'm not sure what to make out of the rest of it, I have about 350 yards left. I am thinking either a hat or boot-toppers. I haven't found a fingering-weight beret that I particularly like, though.

And speaking of not liking solid yarns, here is another lesson for me in never getting high contrast variegated yarns, even within the same color family:

Vitamin D in Rowan Fine Art (kingfisher)

I KNEW. Or I very strongly suspected, that this would come out stripier than I wanted. The biggest problem, though, is that the sleeves are waaaaaay too big, so it feels super sloppy when I wear it. I need to either serge the sleeves narrower (scary) or reknit them (blah). So many lessons learned.

Pheasant Revolution
Dec 26, 2006

stitchin is bitchin
First sweater I knitted I forgot to decrease for the armholes at the front (yeah, I was too distracted by the zillion cables). Anyway, a braver person than I sandwiched with fabric, machined sewed, snipped and serged it for me and it survives 5 years later.
Not sure all those steps are necessary, but just wanted to share a success story, don't be afraid.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"

Pheasant Revolution posted:

First sweater I knitted I forgot to decrease for the armholes at the front (yeah, I was too distracted by the zillion cables). Anyway, a braver person than I sandwiched with fabric, machined sewed, snipped and serged it for me and it survives 5 years later.
Not sure all those steps are necessary, but just wanted to share a success story, don't be afraid.

Thank you! I know it can be done in theory (that's how tons of commercially produced sweaters are made, after all), but it's still nice to hear it worked out for someone at home.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

A while ago I saw someone in the thread made a rad butterfly stitch hat. I saw it and I knew I needed to become the prettiest, so I did:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

That yarn is a gorgeous choice and what a good hat! You are indeed now the prettiest

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
Is there a consensus for who makes 'the best' needles?

I've looked at Signature Needle Arts but their prices seem very high and I don't know enough to know if they're worth it. This is for a Christmas present for an experienced knitter, however, so I'm sure they'd appreciate the quality if they really are that good.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Needles are almost impossible to buy for an experienced knitter, because by then people tend to have strong preferences about material, finish, points, etc. Is there anything you could get instead? Or an IOU to shop together?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
IOU is probably best, then. I was going to pair the needles with a yarn bowl from a local potter but I'll slip an IOU inside it instead.

Thanks!

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

the trump tutelage posted:

Is there a consensus for who makes 'the best' needles?

I've looked at Signature Needle Arts but their prices seem very high and I don't know enough to know if they're worth it. This is for a Christmas present for an experienced knitter, however, so I'm sure they'd appreciate the quality if they really are that good.

I've used and owned a few sets and, frankly, no. They're not worth the insane prices. Hell, ask anybody who used their original first lines of circulars. Those took over a YEAR to be actually good, let alone worth $40+ a pair. Loooots of drama there because of bad cables, metal flash on the joins, needles coming apart after an hour of use, etc.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

keyboard vomit posted:

A while ago I saw someone in the thread made a rad butterfly stitch hat. I saw it and I knew I needed to become the prettiest, so I did:

Nice! Subtle variations on color work so well with that pattern.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

keyboard vomit posted:

That's gorgeous, really is a perfect yarn for that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Winter Knitty is up, if anyone wants to make an adult agender crocodile costume.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I usually find one or two things in Knitty that I like, even lately, but this one is awful.

TastesLikeChicken
Dec 30, 2007

Doesn't everything?

neongrey posted:

I usually find one or two things in Knitty that I like, even lately, but this one is awful.

Pantashrooms???

:stonk:

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

TastesLikeChicken posted:

Pantashrooms???

:stonk:

Toilet paper cozy?!? :confuoot:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I don't think it's awful, just bland.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
The colorwork mittens aren't bad. A little dull, but they'd probably be about five bucks on Ravelry and they're free here. Same with the cabled pullover.

I have no idea why you'd want a short-sleeved cabled smock, though.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Knitty used to be where you'd go to find stuff really unique and interesting, but I guess that well has run kinda dry. Now it's just 90% ridiculously cliche lace shawls/wraps, a few colorwork things, a few generic sweaters, and two or three really loving goofy things.

snail goat
Dec 12, 2006

you shouldnt doubt yourself
you know more about goats than you give yourself credit for
I did a dumb thing and inadvertently blocked a hat.

It got wet on a walk and I put it on a pumpkin to dry. It's not a huge pumpkin, but it of course dried bigger than it was before and while it still fits fine, it isn't snug like I like it. Is it possible to re-block it and kinda smoosh it back together or do I gift it to someone with a larger head than myself and just make a new one? (I've knit this pattern several times now, it wouldn't kill me to make it again.)

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

You could get it wet again and put it on a smaller pumpkin :v:

If your head is the same size as one of those foam mannequin heads you could block it on that.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Alpaca yarn is soft and I like it

left_unattended
Apr 13, 2009

"The person who seeks all their applause from outside has their happiness in another's keeping."
Dale Carnegie
I LOVE alpaca. Alpaca/silk is especially luscious. I made this Bord de Mer in alpaca/silk (red) and alpaca/merino.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I've been lurking this thread for years now want to have a project worthy of being up here, and I just finished this blanket for some friends who are about to have their first baby. So I made them this small human snuggling blanket.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 22, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Oooh that's cute. I usually don't care for that relief technique (do you know what it's called?), but it works really well on a large blanket the way you've done it. Most people do it on washcloths and things that are just too small, I think.

Does anyone look at the Show Me Your Knits group on Ravelry anymore? I make my finished projects visible through there but I don't know if there's any activity.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Oooh that's cute. I usually don't care for that relief technique (do you know what it's called?), but it works really well on a large blanket the way you've done it. Most people do it on washcloths and things that are just too small, I think.

No clue. But yeah, I saw one of those classic block blankets but that was too traditional for my friends but the dishcloth patterns worked out well. It was super easy, just weird since they're all pretty much just slightly different sizing.

I didn't know Rav had such a group. I feel like that would bring the yarn wizards out of the woodwork. Going to go lurk now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Lovely blanket, Slightly Used Cake!

I go on Ravelry a lot but rarely look at groups any more. It's too much trouble for me to click through to them.