Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kurieg posted:

I thought the idea was that some of the ships got off course/slowed/people slept too long so when you start there's already some modicrum of "Milky Way Civilization" there.

Honestly, getting to the Andromeda Galaxy for the first time and having someone say, "Oh yeah, we've been here for 100 years already, grandpa" would be the most disappointing reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Honestly, getting to the Andromeda Galaxy for the first time and having someone say, "Oh yeah, we've been here for 100 years already, grandpa" would be the most disappointing reboot.

Depends on how it plays out (From Privateer 2)

quote:

Background: Or 'Hicksville, Isaac', as its better known. The butt of just about every joke ever told, Bex is notorious for four things: agriculture, religion, beer and stupidity. Although the last reputation owes much to the previous three, its origin goes right back to the manner in which the planet was settled; some time before the d-drive was invented, a colony ship was dispatched from Hephaestus on the 119-year journey that separated the two planets at the time. Unfortunately for the colonists, the d-drive was invented some 70 years after they left, and so the expectant settlers landed on the planet only to find that another group of settlers had arrived thirty years previously, their journey having taken a mere four weeks. What was worse, a goodly proportion of the second batch of colonists had been Anhurians, and a new, more pacifistic version of Humanism, the Church of Hom, had taken firm root on the planet. Given the cumulative effect of these revelations, it is not altogether surprising that an obsessional interest in the production of intoxicating liquor took hold amongst the Hephaestan settlers, an interest which developed into Bex's prime export industry.

Nowadays, Bex is a peaceful, laid back planet, producing the majority of the Tri-System's beer, 'real' food, and incomprehensible religious tracts. The thrill-seeking pilot may find it a little dull - terrestrial pastimes number straw-chewing, dungaree wearing and line-dancing among the most popular - but for the trader looking to make a good living, Bex Commodity Exchange is one of the most important buildings in the galaxy. Just don't talk to any of the glassy-eyed fanatics that populate the starport; they're more difficult to get rid of than a dose of Hermetic Chlamydia.

Has there been any word on which studio is handling the multiplayer? Is it the same as MS3?

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.

Khizan posted:

Would quantum entanglement communicators work at intergalatic ranges?

To the best of my (limited) knowledge, there is no range limit on the behavior of entangled particles.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

time dilation from traveling even a decent percentage of light speed would probably render it unusable though?

on the other hand this is a video game

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They'd continue to use a pop sci understanding of quantum entanglement, in which it's both truly instantaneous and actually useful.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah technological inaccuracies are fine because an actual shuttle that doesn't crash back to Earth 50% of the time is beyond our technological grasp as of now so you can throw any technical blab about how things work and I'll buy it. What I don't understand is in universe if they had the technology prior to the reaper invasion why didn't anyone use it to do anything. Explore, move etc.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Didn't discovery of the relays have a chilling effect on FTL research that basically ensured no one devoted serious resources to improving the technology?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Yeah technological inaccuracies are fine because an actual shuttle that doesn't crash back to Earth 50% of the time is beyond our technological grasp as of now so you can throw any technical blab about how things work and I'll buy it. What I don't understand is in universe if they had the technology prior to the reaper invasion why didn't anyone use it to do anything. Explore, move etc.

It's possible some of this stuff got kickstarted as a result of research on Sovereign's corpse

wookieepelt
Jul 23, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

It's possible some of this stuff got kickstarted as a result of research on Sovereign's corpse

I'd back that. :rimshot:

I imagine that's what the in game explanation will be. If the reapers have the ability to cross the galaxy through ftl the council races should be able to reverse engineer something, come up with a plan to ensure continuity of civilization under the guise of exploration to prevent a panic or something.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It's N7 Day!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

The_Doctor posted:

It's N7 Day!

batarian independence day

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
And at the moment, the top story is...

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Star dad is best dad

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Boxart

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Hopefully that was the ARK ship carrying all the batarians.

Edit: And that Dad-Ryder was the one that blew it up.

Enigmatic Cakelord fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 7, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Happy N7 Day nerds!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
reminder that this trailer, for Mass Effect 2, is by far the best trailer of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

We posting trailers now? Enjoys some of my favorite fan trailers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX1fs0_Rbbk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvqYN2RJfVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ke8hzpJlIs

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

reminder that this trailer, for Mass Effect 2, is by far the best trailer of all time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjOEmHEd2XM

Nah, this is the best ME2 trailer

https://youtu.be/HinsGPuqIDg

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

SgtSteel91 posted:

Nah, this is the best ME2 trailer

https://youtu.be/HinsGPuqIDg

---------------------------------------8<--------------------------------------------

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

New trailer, still nothing to really get super excited about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyZw_oqk7Q8

losonti tokash
Oct 29, 2007

I'm so pretty, oh so pretty.
I'm pretty excited about this!

https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/795672210665013250

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Finally getting ME3 again. gently caress yeah.

(I'll probably have to buy it again because I have no idea where the discs are)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

How do they manage to make space exploration look so dull?

another loser
Mar 25, 2001
Hey, go watch the briefing trailer

https://www.masseffect.com/andromeda-initiative/training-hub

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How do they manage to make space exploration look so dull?

By only showing out of context combat and action sequences that look exactly like the previous games.

Hell, the first little bit looks just like the prologue of ME2 with the protagonist being ejected from his destroyed ship. Only this time you just wake up and brush yourself off after landing instead of being burned to a crisp and being reborn as a cyborg.

EA marketing appears to be completely independent of development so I wouldn't worry... yet.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

looks like the Andromeda Initiative is scheduled to launch in 2185, so that's a year before the Reaper War starts

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I for one welcome space suits that let you crater into a planet and only break your helmet's glass visor

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Is that Javik I hear?

hobbesmaster posted:

EA marketing appears to be completely independent of development so I wouldn't worry... yet.
Personally, I was heavily invested in the ME3 story of what's his name in London doing... whatever he was up to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Some screens from Origin

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I'm excited to play the worst video game ending of all time on my premium Xbox One Entertainment System

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Is that Javik I hear?

Personally, I was heavily invested in the ME3 story of what's his name in London doing... whatever he was up to.

Haha I just realised it's exactly the same as 'hey look it's that guy from the tie in book'

But instead it's 'hey it's that guy from the marketing'

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
That alien at the end is loving retarded looking. At least you should be able to grab his head handle and swing him around.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I still don't like that helmet design. This is obviously the most important part of ME:A.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Psion posted:

I still don't like that helmet design. This is obviously the most important part of ME:A.

:lol: If you play any game with the helmet on.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Trast posted:

:lol: If you play any game with the helmet on.

my spaceman looked fantastic in Halo Reach, thank you

but yeah, I disabled that poo poo in ME1-3, so I guess it's nice they're making sure I stay consistent in ME:A.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
helmet on in combat, off in conversations unless you're in a vacuum or something

the only way to play

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rinkles posted:

Some screens from Origin

Glad to see that weapon design is at a stand still in ME's future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Deakul posted:

Glad to see that weapon design is at a stand still in ME's future.

well like, they were in cryosleep for that 600-year journey. they're using what they had in 2185, yeah?

plus BioWare have settled on the Avenger as the "iconic" ME gun

• Locked thread