Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

Blocking beat writers because you don't like what they say is bush league and the Lakers would have had an empty press room since like the 90s if they did it since both ESPN, Bleacher Report and the local news papers think people only want to read negative Lakers stories.

Lol dude

Ric Bucher was employed almost exclusively for the purpose of kissing Kobe's rear end constantly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

yeah except Cuban banned the writers because he's upset that ESPN isn't covering his team enough lmao

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/795475933704622080

he really is the donald trump of the nba

"it's a beat writer's fault the locker room is toxic!!"

*trades for rajon rondo*

https://twitter.com/ChandlerParsons/status/795476017544568832

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MourningView posted:

Lol dude

Ric Bucher was employed almost exclusively for the purpose of kissing Kobe's rear end constantly

Though he isn't wrong that only negative news stories about the lakers are interesting.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Lol dude

One part time sideline reporter compared to literally thousands of negative stories doesn't exactly balance it out.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

The Stein thing surprises me. I always thought he was a big Dirk/Mavs homer. Also, what's Parsons' deal? I guess he's not clubbing with Cuban anymore.

Also, I'm glad Luke's Lakers are winning games. They've been fun to watch.

edit:

https://twitter.com/nikebasketball/status/793523775169933313

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Nov 7, 2016

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

One part time sideline reporter compared to literally thousands of negative stories doesn't exactly balance it out.

He was one of their main web and studio guys for a long time and it was just the first and most obvious example I could think of. Also there have not exactly been a ton of positive things to say about the team for the last two or three years, but that doesn't mean The Media is out to get you. The persecution complex is annoying enough when it's, like, Blazer fans but come on, man

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Week 2 Power Ratings

1. Cavs - Very good.
2. Clippers - Best one loss team.
3. Spurs - Best two loss team.
4. Hawks - They look pretty great, but have some horrible losses.
5. Thunder - The Warriors loss kind of broke the spell of this team for me but hey, Russ.
6. Hornets - Not sure how it's working but it is.
7. Raptors - The best Raptors team I'm going to mostly ignore.
8. Pistons - Best rating for a team I haven't watched
9. Warriors - Theoretically good.
10. Jazz - Some quality wins and losses to equal or better teams.
11. Lakers - Fun offense, funny defense.
12. Blazers - Anytime they aren't shooting the three or the ball is out of Lillard's hands they look pretty bad, but they keep those moments to a minimum.
13. Bucks - Well, the Pacers and Kings should be theoretically better than them but they beat them.
14. Three Alphas featuring Taj Gibson and Doug Bucket - Might be the last time I can rank them above the irrelevant line in good conscience. In fact it might already be too late for that.
-----------------Irrelevant Line Here------------------------------
28. Sixers - This is still a roster with many people who I'm not sure are better than members of the D-league. But they try really really hard.
29. Wizards - Currently legitimately worse than the team that won single digit games last year.
30. Pelicans - Basketball gods hate them.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

He was one of their main web and studio guys for a long time and it was just the first and most obvious example I could think of. Also there have not exactly been a ton of positive things to say about the team for the last two or three years, but that doesn't mean The Media is out to get you. The persecution complex is annoying enough when it's, like, Blazer fans but come on, man

I don't feel persecuted by it because I understand why they do it, and don't think the media is out to get the Lakers (in fact my whole point was that the Mavs don't have a right to feel persecuted by this). It is a fact though that ESPN has spent nearly the entire history of their web presence using gossip about the Lakers to generate clicks. Are you really disputing that?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That lakers pick is going to be like 7-10 range.

Meh oh well

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

The Lakers are the best team with the best coach and the best players. Championship incoming. :colbert:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rick posted:

Week 2 Power Ratings

1. Cavs - Very good.
5. Thunder - The Warriors loss kind of broke the spell of this team for me but hey, Russ.
12. Blazers - Anytime they aren't shooting the three or the ball is out of Lillard's hands they look pretty bad, but they keep those moments to a minimum.
13. Bucks - Well, the Pacers and Kings should be theoretically better than them but they beat them.
14. Three Alphas featuring Taj Gibson and Doug Bucket - Might be the last time I can rank them above the irrelevant line in good conscience. In fact it might already be too late for that.
28. Sixers - This is still a roster with many people who I'm not sure are better than members of the D-league. But they try really really hard.
29. Wizards - Currently legitimately worse than the team that won single digit games last year.

The Sixers managed to hit 10 last year.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Speaking of the sad, sad Wizards

Ted Leonsis, Owner posted:

“We will have a fantastic training facility, we’ll have the best coaches, we’ll have great young players that we can retain, we’ll eventually be able to land a free agent, we will improve our performance and we’ll wake up and we’ll be a ‘have’ team,” he said. “We’ll be a team that is reflective of our value and our market. Today we’re not.”

Great. Super. Right on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's been a lot of chatter about how George Hill and Jeff Teague are working out, but how are the Hawks doing with a point guard rotation of Schroder and something called Malcolm Delaney?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Pelicans released Lance Stephenson because they literally have 1 guy who can dribble a basketball up the court.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Henchman of Santa posted:

There's been a lot of chatter about how George Hill and Jeff Teague are working out, but how are the Hawks doing with a point guard rotation of Schroder and something called Malcolm Delaney?

Schroeder is decent. 15/7 on okayish shooting numbers please ignore three pointers. ORTG of 106. Not as good as Teague but five years younger and honestly about equal on D

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Rick posted:

Week 2 Power Ratings

1. Cavs - Very good.

I think you have GS and the Raptors way too low. Hawks and Thunder too high.

Pistons being that high is kinda surprising (even though they're my fav team) but I'm assuming that's more due to you not wanting to put a 3 loss team above a 2 loss team. Marcus Morris probably has one of the 10 best contracts in the NBA, especially for it not being a rookie deal. Fun fact-Josh Smith is getting paid more, and for longer, than Morris is!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

It is a fact though that ESPN has spent nearly the entire history of their web presence using gossip about the Lakers to generate clicks. Are you really disputing that?

This is true, but its hardly always negative. I guess I can see it being annoying always having the spotlight, but it seems easier to block that out than trying to follow a team that doesn't get any attention whatsoever.

Declan MacManus posted:

Schroeder is decent. 15/7 on okayish shooting numbers please ignore three pointers. ORTG of 106. Not as good as Teague but five years younger and honestly about equal on D

My problem with Teague is that if he isn't able to penetrate, the rest of his game tends to stagnate really quickly. I don't know if Schroeder is better than Teague, but at least he's keeping more options open (even if his shooting isn't one of them).

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Carlosologist posted:

hot take: the Warriors should have kept Barnes and the possibility of bench depth instead of going for broke with KD

This is what I said when it happened :shrug:

WELL actually I probably said something about shook and up 3-1 but then this.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I don't feel persecuted by it because I understand why they do it, and don't think the media is out to get the Lakers (in fact my whole point was that the Mavs don't have a right to feel persecuted by this). It is a fact though that ESPN has spent nearly the entire history of their web presence using gossip about the Lakers to generate clicks. Are you really disputing that?

reading about how they're gonna sign every other teams best player as a free agent must truly be a burden

I don't dispute they get a ton of coverage. I dispute that it is all or disproportionately negative

Carlosologist posted:

hot take: the Warriors should have kept Barnes and the possibility of bench depth instead of going for broke with KD

were you also a huge Barnes fan when he was going 2-800 in the finals last year?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 7, 2016

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

This is true, but its hardly always negative. I guess I can see it being annoying always having the spotlight, but it seems easier to block that out than trying to follow a team that doesn't get any attention whatsoever.

Try following a team where all national coverage is like "This guy rules but needs to get off his team immediately! What if <x> team can trade for him with <y> and <z> scrubs?! Maybe throw in <garbage> pick to sweeten the deal, although it's already a much better return for him than anyone else can give, imo.".

e: not hearing this constantly is why I follow this thread

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Try following a team where all national coverage is like "This guy rules but needs to get off his team immediately! What if <x> team can trade for him with <y> and <z> scrubs?! Maybe throw in <garbage> pick to sweeten the deal, although it's already a much better return for him than anyone else can give, imo.".

You're responding to a Timberwolves fan...

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Kibner posted:

I had season tickets for the Timberwolves when Kevin Love became a superstar. It was excruciating having to hear my team talked about like a AA farm team. My condolences to fans of Anthony Davis and Cousins.

MourningView posted:

were you also a huge Barnes fan when he was going 2-800 in the finals last year?

I think a bunch of people warned that losing Bogut/Ezeli/Barnes is going to affect the Warriors, even with adding KD.

Also remember its November, and people write off really, really good teams way too early (see, Cavaliers twice in the last two years). The Warriors will eventually go on a tear where they win 29 out of 30 or something. They'll be fine.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Can someone post that insider article on embiid

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

My problem with Teague is that if he isn't able to penetrate, the rest of his game tends to stagnate really quickly. I don't know if Schroeder is better than Teague, but at least he's keeping more options open (even if his shooting isn't one of them).

Teague playbook:
1. Pick and Roll
2. Drive and Kick
3. Give and Go
4. Stand and Wait

He hit some threes last year but otherwise reminds me of Devin Harris in his prime which isn't necessarily bad but really goes downhill quickly

Schroder (which is pronounced Shroo-der; I thought it was Shray-der and everyone else pronounces it like the Peanuts dude) gives you about the same production but is still young enough to expand his skillset significantly, provided he is given enough burn to do so. It's still early but it looks like the Hawks made a really smart decision

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Lockback posted:

I had season tickets for the Timberwolves when Kevin Love became a superstar. It was excruciating having to hear my team talked about like a AA farm team. My condolences to fans of Anthony Davis and Cousins.

I think a bunch of people warned that losing Bogut/Ezeli/Barnes is going to affect the Warriors, even with adding KD.

Also remember its November, and people write off really, really good teams way too early (see, Cavaliers twice in the last two years). The Warriors will eventually go on a tear where they win 29 out of 30 or something. They'll be fine.

The Warriors have a lovely defense and unless Durant decides to devote himself to protecting the rim and pulling down boards I don't think there's a "groove" they can get into

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

IcePhoenix posted:

You're responding to a Timberwolves fan...

Yeah, but people aren't saying that about KAT, afaik. I did forget about those Garnett years, somehow.

Point still stands! :v:

e: And I forgot that Kevin Love was once an extremely highly valued player. Just derp'ing everywhere this morning.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
In my defense, I've gone through this with AD, CP3, and NOLA having an NBA team, in general.

Probably why I gravitated towards the Kings as my second team.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

Yeah, but people aren't saying that about KAT, afaik.

They are :sigh:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

In my defense, I've gone through this with AD, CP3, and NOLA having an NBA team, in general.

Probably why I gravitated towards the Kings as my second team.

And the Wolves have had KG, Love, Starbury, and pre draft Rubio

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Declan MacManus posted:

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Marbury demanded a trade before those hot takes ever started.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Really? Already? He actually has some quality players next to him, though!

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

The point of power rankings isn't to say which team you think will be the best, it's which teams are the best right now. As long as the Warriors have their dick in the dirt, their rating is going to reflect that

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Declan MacManus posted:

I honestly wasn't really following the NBA when they had KG or Starbury. I watched the '92 Olympics and the Barkley Rockets teams as a kid. Didn't pay attention again until the playoffs where CP3, West, and Chandler beat the Mavs. I actually didn't know NOLA had an NBA team until that moment, lol. They were literally never talked about where I lived, which was anywhere between 45-90 minutes away from the city.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

MourningView posted:

I should have included a should of, haha

'm not a Warriors fan or anything, I was just providing a faux hot take for humor. I think if the Warriors believed they had no shot at KD, they would have looked to fill out the wing with someone else that fit the offense and load up on depth. but still, one really ice cold series doesn't break a player or anything

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

straight up brolic posted:

The point of power rankings isn't to say which team you think will be the best, it's which teams are the best right now. As long as the Warriors have their dick in the dirt, their rating is going to reflect that

wikipedia posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_rating_system#Theory
Sports ratings systems use a variety of methods for rating teams, but the most prevalent method is called a power rating. The power rating of a team is a calculation of the team's strength relative to other teams in the same league or division. The basic idea is to maximize the amount of transitive relations in a given data set due to game outcomes. For example, if A defeats B and B defeats C, then one can safely say that A>B>C.

From an academic perspective, the use of linear algebra and statistics are popular among many of the systems' authors to determine their ratings. Some academic work is published in forums like the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference, others in traditional statistics, mathematics, psychology, and computer science journals.

I did not realize how deep Rick and Marc Stein were getting into this.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

alansmithee posted:

I think you have GS and the Raptors way too low. Hawks and Thunder too high.

Pistons being that high is kinda surprising (even though they're my fav team) but I'm assuming that's more due to you not wanting to put a 3 loss team above a 2 loss team. Marcus Morris probably has one of the 10 best contracts in the NBA, especially for it not being a rookie deal. Fun fact-Josh Smith is getting paid more, and for longer, than Morris is!

I'll have you know that the Thunder are the number one team in the West right now and are being disrespected by having that scrub clippers and overrated spurs team in front of them

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I guess watch the Hawks if you like defense? Dwight is a lot of things, but he is much more of a defensive help than Horford in both rim protection and shoring up their bad rebounding weakness.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

The Warriors have a lovely defense and unless Durant decides to devote himself to protecting the rim and pulling down boards I don't think there's a "groove" they can get into

Steph and Klay aren't making shots at nearly the rate they historically do (Klay's actually a slightly negative player up to this point). If they get back to their norms (assuming Curry's somewhat between last year's GOAT performance and the previous couple "just really good" performance) they could easily have a "groove".

Also by the numbers it can't be stated how horrible Klay is so far.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

alansmithee posted:

Also by the numbers it can't be stated how horrible Klay is so far.

Klay is not going to look as good this year. Everytime a star player gets moved to the 3rd wheel role it takes a long time to adjust and they never look as good as they were when they were a primary/secondary role. See: Bosh, Chris and Love, Kevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Lockback posted:

Klay is not going to look as good this year. Everytime a star player gets moved to the 3rd wheel role it takes a long time to adjust and they never look as good as they were when they were a primary/secondary role. See: Bosh, Chris and Love, Kevin.

Ehh, Bosh's role just changed. And Love was/is more just underutilized. Like Klay's bricking everything now, dude's actually got negative WS.

• Locked thread