Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Jesus, I got my first 5-0 in Take Two with Runecraft and drat was it harrowing. My previous two 4-0 runs were both mercilessly crushed right out the gate as I posted about earlier, but this time I actually got the better start and had a 1-card advantage and slight board-control entering the mid-game. At this point both of us had real clunky draws and we ended up trading a bunch of awkward turns without making much headway, including him just passing turn 6 which lead to me not playing anything on my turn 7 because Medb was on my board and I only had minions and removal in hand. I get lucky and had a banish when he played Mordecai - the second time I got to do that this run, funnily enough - and everything was looking good since I had a bigger hand as well, then he dropped Prince of Darkness, which I'd never seen before. Well, that got me feeling kinda bad, but not as bad as when he followed up by casting Astaroth's Reckoning on my 19-health rear end the following turn. Due to a very control-y spell-heavy hand I hadn't quite been able to present lethal before he could get yet another turn, so I was stuck hoping he didn't have one damage in his hand or with his next overpowered draw, but apparently he didn't since he conceded. I was sure there was a 4-1 curse on me...then again, I thought the deck was kinda clunky and not that good anyway so I'm surprised it was the deck I managed 5-0 with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
Imo you should get a special flair for going 5-0 with rune in take two. Good poo poo, did you save the deck to show it off?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

milward posted:

I am still working on an Elena deck, and I bought 2 decrees for the vials i got for starting up.

I still miss one decree and 2 Elenas and I use a Seraph instead of an Odin and I have a Soul Dealer, a Gabriel and an animated Zirnitra spare.
Dragon and blood are those least interesting for me, should I liquefy some one or two of those legendaries for the last golds I need for the elena deck?

I also have a second Olivia, should she go in to the deck instead of something?

Olivia is good if you have a deck that plans to go late, so things like aggro sword/shadow would be bad since you're probably planning on ending the game before you even hit nine play orbs. I personally recommend liquidating the legendaries for decks you have no interest in playing just because it gives you a great buffer to invest in a top-tier deck very quickly. Don't liquidate neutral legendaries though, they'll help you make all your other decks a bit better, as you should probably have one reasonable deck for each leader in order to help you with missions. The default decks are so bad that they can be significantly improved just by tossing in the cards you've gotten from packs, but you're gonna need to be winning games to harvest those daily rewards.

That being said, there's things to be said about saving legendaries in case a deck is buffed in an expansion, but honestly the fundamental difference in playstyle between things like Sword/Forest/Shadow/Blood aren't that massive, so if you wanted to stick with all of them because you like aggro decks but want to be futureproof, stick with the cards you get for all four.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

Imo you should get a special flair for going 5-0 with rune in take two. Good poo poo, did you save the deck to show it off?

Yeah I threw a couple screens of it into an imgur album http://imgur.com/a/GJ4kS

I'm 9-1 overall in my two Runecraft runs since I started last week, so clearly it's my lucky class. 5-5 with Swordcraft! Other than the solo stuff I've only played a bit of Shadowcraft in constructed so I'm not too used to either.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

:worship: 3-2 with an utter trashcan dragoncraft deck. Sure, one of them was a japanese player conceeding on turn 1, and another was topdecking the only card that could save me, but I'll take it, godamnit

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I've still yet to try take-two seriously but my cheapo face decks (dragon and sword) have taken me into D2 with only 2 or 3 losses.

Dragonnewt scholar (not cheap but I got 3 copies somehow) is such an rear end in a top hat of a card. Lots of people don't want to waste removal on a lovely 2-point card and by the time they notice it has evolved, is hitting for 3, gotten rid of my trash in hand, and enabled my mons that depend on somebody else being evolved. And sometimes it combos with the other type of newt to make it extra loving annoying.

Sword is just pure zerg, pretty boring but effective.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone got pointers on beating Blood aggro as Storm Haven? I find myself without the burst to end the game so I clear, attack when possible and pass. And that just chips me down until I have board control and then inevitably the last seven or so damage to finish me comes out of hand with direct damage or storm. There seems to be a lot of variety in what these decks are running after the Vania and bats phase.

edit: This is around B1. I'm considering swapping away from Storm Haven for a while because I'm running into lots of decks that make the 2/1s awkward or underperforming and good lord does the deck fall apart if you don't hit your curve. I'm still climbing but these guys have a rude way of interrupting my streaks.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 7, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
my experience playing midrange sword is that banner sword is the easiest matchup i get

i assume this is partly because the matchup is good and partly because there's a lot of bad banner players out there

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

yo goons just starting out, took the reroll tips and this is my latest reroll, is it worth keeping?

Alexander
Lucifer
Odin
Dark Angel Olivia x2

i think it is because all these cards are listed a top tier on the list...

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Nov 7, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS posted:

yo goons just starting out, took the reroll tips and this is my latest reroll, is it worth keeping?

Alexander
Lucifer
Odin
Dark Angel Olivia x2

i think it is because all these cards are listed a top tier on the list...

Yes, aside from the first you will want the rest in any deck you make for a long time. If you also post golds we can recommend specific decks to try besides Banner Sword.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

Yes, aside from the first you will want the rest in any deck you make for a long time. If you also post golds we can recommend specific decks to try besides Banner Sword.

sweet, well i linked my account and got a merlin and Ziritana to add to my legend collection. my golds are:

Allied Fate
Vania, Vampire Princess
Devourer of Heavens
Spirit Cycle
Latham, Vanguard Captain
Ceridwen
Diabolic Drain
Calamitous Curse x2
Elf Girl Liza x2
Vampiric Fortress
Foul Tempest
Petal Fencer x2
Fire Chain
Erinyes
Elf Knight cynthia
Medusa
Kaguya
Neptune
Homecoming
Leonidas

so a lot of bloodcraft and forestcraft stuff?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

I think you could put together something Forestcraft with Liza, Cynthia, and the Petal Fencers. Make fairies, make fairies Fencers, and just keep throwing them at the enemy while bouncing/locking their stuff down.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I just started this game. The triple headed anime dog girl sold me on this over Hearthstone. My initial free card packs gave me these legendaries:

Fairy Princess
Aurelia, Regal Saber
Sea Queen Otohime x2
Cerberus (what luck!)
Mythril Golem

I got 11 golds and a bunch of other crap. I have no idea how to play card games outside of Yugioh GBA games I played a long time ago. I'm playing the steam version, so no rerolls. Do I have something good I can start off with? Is it possible to create a new mobile account, link it to steam (deleting the one I got now), and play from there?

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

AfroSquirrel posted:

I think you could put together something Forestcraft with Liza, Cynthia, and the Petal Fencers. Make fairies, make fairies Fencers, and just keep throwing them at the enemy while bouncing/locking their stuff down.

sounds perfect, i cant wait to be a fairy god mother:toot:

what sort of list should we be building to for forestcraft?

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Lord Ephraim posted:

I just started this game. The triple headed anime dog girl sold me on this over Hearthstone. My initial free card packs gave me these legendaries:

Fairy Princess
Aurelia, Regal Saber
Sea Queen Otohime x2
Cerberus (what luck!)
Mythril Golem

I got 11 golds and a bunch of other crap. I have no idea how to play card games outside of Yugioh GBA games I played a long time ago. I'm playing the steam version, so no rerolls. Do I have something good I can start off with? Is it possible to create a new mobile account, link it to steam (deleting the one I got now), and play from there?

Despite having no neutrals it's a good roll because you got 2 otohimes

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

sounds perfect, i cant wait to be a fairy god mother:toot:

what sort of list should we be building to for forestcraft?

This looks like a good model: https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/deck/jcg-open-vol26-1st-place-tempo-forestcraft

In the absence of Legendaries and Golds, I'd go for cards like Pixie Mischief that give you more counterplay against big things or Yuel the Ancient to deal with aggro. Looking at card lists, seeing what's highly-rated, and looking for synergy is a good starting point: https://shadowverse.gamepress.gg/cards/forestcraft

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
This was, without question, the dumbest game of Take Two I've played so far.

I didn't think to screencap these until later, but at one point we both seriously had 4 Earth Sigils on the field. Check out the cards remaining - this game lasted forever

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
Opened three packs that you get linking with a google play account and I got another Aurelia and Cerberus. I'm pretty sure my account is a keeper, no?

Also why is Bloodcraft have the most :japan: cards but the leader is some Castlevania Dracula knockoff?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lord Ephraim posted:

Opened three packs that you get linking with a google play account and I got another Aurelia and Cerberus. I'm pretty sure my account is a keeper, no?

Also why is Bloodcraft have the most :japan: cards but the leader is some Castlevania Dracula knockoff?

That's because the actual leader is Vampy-chan and the knockoff is only there as a place holder.

It's difficult to get more anime than that.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
And Ive been watching high rank JP players and holy poo poo, the amount of effort required to win with say, sword or blood, compared to heavencraft is hilarious. At least fairy-girl has to pay attention and do combos while heaven is like, whoops, are you at 4 hp in round 5? lol.

Seems to my newbie rear end that the ranking is something like forest (so much flexibility, you never know what's going to hit you) > heaven > all the other losers.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
i thought aggro vampy seemed easy, in the sense that you can just mulligan for vampys and fortresses and if you don't get those you can just hit concede :haw:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Lord Ephraim posted:

on the other hand swordcraft's legendaries commanders are also pretty :japan:

basically everything that isn't a knight, i'd say

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

The Twitter thing is over, everyone will be getting 5 packs sometime on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
oh man I drafted this monstrosity of a deck:

the games were pretty close though

charon mvp, although mordecai won me the most topdeck wars

Zoness fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Nov 7, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Golden Battler posted:

Check out the cards remaining - this game lasted forever

I once managed to get an Elana Haven deck to draw themselves to death. Basically it involved parking Erasmus in a corner and anything she played would die instantly (obviously after all the removal had already been used up). The fact that she had double Elana probably hurt more than helped, since she didn't have enough space on the board to do anything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That terrible feeling when you realize that your carefully crafted Pascale deck is probably worse than this random Dragon deck you threw together because you opened a 2nd Forte.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 7, 2016

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aaah. I remember the day when I managed to Robin Hood a Forte. Good times, good times.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's the rationale behind more people playing the Sister Initiate version of Storm Haven rather than the Moon al Miraj one? I will say that version tends to beat me running the Moon one in the mirror but I dunno how it fares in other matches. Moon does a lot of work for me.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's the rationale behind more people playing the Sister Initiate version of Storm Haven rather than the Moon al Miraj one? I will say that version tends to beat me running the Moon one in the mirror but I dunno how it fares in other matches. Moon does a lot of work for me.

There's plenty of Garuda Haven variants. Some run 1-3 Moon Al-Mi'rajs, some run 1-2 Gilgamesh, some tech in 1-3 Angelic Barrages/Themis' Decrees. Sister Initiates are pretty common, sometimes in conjunction with Hallowed Dogma, or they pick one or the other. For a while people were running Sky Sprites to give Rush to their Holyflame Tigers, and so forth and so on.

Basically just experiment with variants to find out what works best for you and well, adapt to whatever is giving you the most trouble in the ladder.

Ruby Prism fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 7, 2016

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

so another newbie question, should i be focusing on buying the standard set of the expansion with my gold?

edit: focusing on forest if that changes anything

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Nov 7, 2016

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
forest (tia, liza, cynthia) and haven (seraph, garuda, themis) have a high density of useful legendaries/golds to chaff in the expansion; everyone else should buy standard packs iirc

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 7, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
why buy standard packs when you win them in arena

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
i mean, i assumed he's not buying arena entries with his gold, considering that he asked about what pack to buy with his gold

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Personally I find the Sister Initiates more terrifying because playing Moon al Miraj means you're not hitting me in the face that turn. Storm Haven tends to win by barely killing you immediately before you can stabilize, so having one extra turn where at best all you did was kill a minion gives me that chance to stabilize.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
moon can hit face though

it's just that she crowds the 6 drop slot along with garuda

Speaking from playing midrange sword the 6 drop I hate the most is Themis though. It shouldn't be good but it makes this dumb guessing game when I'm racing the haven player, plus it's like Haven's only way to kill Aurelia.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Zoness posted:

moon can hit face though

it's just that she crowds the 6 drop slot along with garuda

Speaking from playing midrange sword the 6 drop I hate the most is Themis though. It shouldn't be good but it makes this dumb guessing game when I'm racing the haven player, plus it's like Haven's only way to kill Aurelia.

...Oh yeah. For some reason I've never seen her hit face, so I forgot she had Storm and not Rush. I guess everyone just wants to get maximum value out her regeneration.

Edit: But yes, Themis defines why it's hard to kill Haven.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

so another newbie question, should i be focusing on buying the standard set of the expansion with my gold?

edit: focusing on forest if that changes anything

If you want to go all :science: about it, you can use this spreadsheet some guy on Reddit made
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ExJqcph6Giee2CFGlu9qAGtTQz7l0koiI5zvPZYxod4/edit#gid=877059207

It's showing that Standard packs would be more valuable for me when going for a full collection (because I already have most of the bronze/silver cards in Darkness), but Darkness packs have the higher value for the cards I care about.
Of course, you need to input your whole collection so prepare for some :effort:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tamba posted:

Of course, you need to input your whole collection so prepare for some :effort:

Yeah, no thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

If you set the right filters in the card manager, you can just write down the numbers without even looking at the card names, so it's not *that* bad.

• Locked thread