Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
My current ideal is the Astros sign Fowler and Encarnacion and bring back Valbuena

I'm sure they will do zero of these things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pancakes posted:

I'm cooking and playing frisbee today, otherwise I'd look into this immediately. For now, please enjoy Kolten Wong's shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnHJwIabBU

Grampa Rossy cameo! :neckbeard:

Bilirubin posted:

How do the jerseys from Fanatics generally fit? The official measurements would place me in a medium, but thinking ahead to the battle against middle age spread has me wondering about getting a large. The measurements on a large would be enormous on me (make me look like String Bean in fact). Are they generally sized on the large side?

Fanatics is just the retailer. Each brand is different. For example, I've noticed that Antigua stuff fits large; I generally wear a "large" t-shirt or an XL hoodie, but an XL Antigua hoodie was swimming on me so I had to go down a size. I just bought a nice Antigua Traverse Cubs jacket and it's a medium.

CubsWoo posted:

Considering how ridiculously lucky the Cubs got with pitching injuries this year you have to expect Lackey will be out for a good chunk of the year and any of the other 3 could run into arm trouble. Zastryzny can clearly spot start and Wood can give you a bunch of innings on a bullpen day (if they're keeping him) but beyond that the pitching in the minors seems to grade out to garbage and the FA market is barren. Are they also re-signing Cahill to keep around?

I just don't understand the move unless there's something major behind the scenes that we don't know about. If he's healthy, Hammel is arguably now the #2 or #3 best starter on the FA market this winter and whatever contract he commands will give a lot of insight into why the Cubs declined the option.

Niwrad posted:

Did Hammel have some kind of no-trade clause?

I'm going to guess they either called around and the market was just not that strong. Or they promised him when he was unhappy that they'd decline the option if he didn't ruffle any feathers.

SourKraut posted:

Wait seriously? I thought that'd be a nice bargain for a 5th starter?

I kinda did think they'd keep Hammel despite his known issues (although this year it seems like he was playing with an injury that he tried to hide) but an ESPN article suggests that they gave him the option to return or not, and he asked to be released. (I'm sure the free $2M plus a significantly more lucrative contract had plenty to do with his decision.)

It still is a loss for the Cubs despite his issues, because when Hammel was good he was real good. The upside is that it makes roster decisions a little easier (Monty definitely gets his spot now) and they can probably justify re-signing more of Wood, Smith, Cahill, etc.

GoatSeeGuy posted:

He's been on the edge of simmering over a few times in public about Maddon giving him a short leash, so who knows what went on behind the scenes. He certainly didn't have the Coghlan Gene that endears you to Joe Maddon forever but doing a guy a solid and letting him make his own deal is one thing, but it's not like the Cubs have starting depth, especially after next season. Zastryzny looks like he's the swing man if Travis Wood leaves, then your AAA backups are Dallas Beeler and Pierce Johnson? $1000 bonus baby Ryan Williams may be ready but he was hurt most of the year and the arms that they do have in the system are all 2-3 years away. Hopefully guys like Dylan Cease and Trevor Clifton make it to Iowa this summer.

I don't get his complaints about being pulled earlier when he was struggling. Did he want to be allowed to give up 20 runs in a game? :psyduck:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
The Fowler-Theo 'handshake agreement' either didn't exist or has just been broken, as Dex has been given a Qualifying Offer. The other Cub FA and their last salary as of right now:

Coghlan (4.8MM) - Awful in Oakland, decent in Chicago, not really worth the money but Maddon loves him.

Cahill (4.3MM) - Spent most of the year in AAA but did a few decent relief appearances. Will probably look elsewhere if he thinks he can find a starting job.

Wood (6.2MM) - Most used Cub reliever, would be great to have back but will probably test the market as a starter like Cahill.

Smith (5.3MM) - I don't think a reliever that's turning 33 and was barely worth 0.5 WAR last year is worth dropping the kind of money Smith will probably expect.

Chapman (11.33MM) - Like him or not (and Maddon's postseason bullpen management aside) the Cubs are probably not World Champions without him. I'm always going to be grateful that he was there to help the team and I can separate my feelings about Chapman the player from Chapman the off-field person. That being said, he's probably going to be looking for $15+MM/yr AAV for a long term deal and I don't know if Jansen or Melancon would come cheaper but I'd be fine with Chapman coming back if the FO really believes his prior offseason behavior was an aberration.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Because it's less than a month before I post the thread, and because there's an election tomorrow, got a quick poll for the people who vote on the SAS Hall of Fame Ballot. Should I do what I've been doing and just have the ballot open right away, or should I post the thread and wait a week or so to let people discuss the merits of everyone before opening up the ballot?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I really wanted to keep Fowler he was such a key piece all year. I mean it makes sense with how overflowing the outfield is and Almora will be a good option to take over in the lead off spot. But Fowler was such a fun likeable player too.

I should say it's still possible we do extend him, but I was really hoping it would be locked down.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Yeah I was hoping that Fowler being so front and center during all the celebrations and the SNL thing and all meant he was staying. A QO doesn't bode well for that... although he had one last year... I'll hope for the best.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Rich Hill hasn't signed an extension, right?

I think you have the answer to what the Cubs want to use that Hammel/Fowler money on unless I missed something.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Matt Wieters won't get a QO and the Braves are reportedly interested

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

beejay posted:

Yeah I was hoping that Fowler being so front and center during all the celebrations and the SNL thing and all meant he was staying. A QO doesn't bode well for that... although he had one last year... I'll hope for the best.

2015 Dex was a 2 WAR player that would have cost your first round pick on top of the contract. 2016 Dex is a 4 WAR player that will cost your first round pick. I think he's going to see a lot more sustained interest if/when he declines the QO.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
I was all gung-ho for re-signing Dex, and I still would be happy if it happens, but if he comes back there's just not enough room for Schwarber and Almora to develop. Baez and Russell are both too good in the infield, Zobrist is going to primarily be a LF now whether he wants to or not. A first round pick might actually be more useful to the organization, gotta stock the farm system back up.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

The clear answer is for Maddon to utilize his new weapon, "Wheels" Schwarber, as a defensive gem in center field

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

As funny as that would be, I think it's more like this:

RF Heyward
CF Almora
LF Zobrist, Schwarber, Soler (will probably be traded)

Schwarber will probably play some at first if Rizzo needs a day off, Zobrist will probably fill in for Baez or Russell once in awhile.

If Fowler comes back, it'll either be a big waste of money because he'd be splitting time with Almora, or they'd have both Almora and Schwarber sitting out most games.

edit: welcome to Cubschat 2017: First World Problems.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'll cheer for Dex wherever he ends up, since the Cardinals don't need a CF :unsmith:

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

he should take that 17 mill but i guess it only takes one gm to be dumb enough to give him a big contract

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Almora still has options so you can hide him in AAA and give him every day reps if they keep Fowler around, and I would expect at least some games where you see Schwarber LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF because Heyward can clearly play the position and if his bat isn't going to improve he'd better get used to shuttling around the outfield when he gets to play at all

Scob posted:

he should take that 17 mill but i guess it only takes one gm to be dumb enough to give him a big contract

A 2-4 WAR CF and leadoff guy who turns 31 right before Opening Day should probably get at least $18MM AAV over a 5 or 6 year deal

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 7, 2016

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I would like Dex back because he is amazing and beautiful and also because I'm not opposed to 22 year old Almora spending a season wrecking the living poo poo out of AAA ball

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Poque posted:

I would like Dex back because he is amazing and beautiful and also because I'm not opposed to 22 year old Almora spending a season wrecking the living poo poo out of AAA ball

But he's probably not re-signing for less than 4 years so you have to look at this with a bit longer window. If you re-sign him for four years with the intention of probably trading him after this year if Almora's ready, and he regresses, that's a problem.

I mean, in as much as wasting $15-$17 million is a "problem" for the Ricketts trust.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'd like Fowler back and I'd even pro-rate him $17m a year for when he actually plays and isn't hurt so $11ish a year sounds about right

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Nail Rat posted:

But he's probably not re-signing for less than 4 years so you have to look at this with a bit longer window. If you re-sign him for four years with the intention of probably trading him after this year if Almora's ready, and he regresses, that's a problem.

I mean, in as much as wasting $15-$17 million is a "problem" for the Ricketts trust.

If Almora regresses?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

If Almora regresses?

You put him back in AAA and have Heyward be the everyday CF, it's not like this team as constructed is short on corner outfielders

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll cheer for Dex wherever he ends up, since the Cardinals don't need a CF :unsmith:

It's actually our primary need, based on what I'm reading. The current plan seems to be shift Grichuk to left, Carpenter to first, Peralta/Gyorko to third, get a natural CF. If Bader can play it great but I don't think Pham is viewed as a long-term option. Lots of Charlie Blackmon rumors among the wishful-thinking Cards fans.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Nail Rat posted:

I was all gung-ho for re-signing Dex, and I still would be happy if it happens, but if he comes back there's just not enough room for Schwarber and Almora to develop. Baez and Russell are both too good in the infield, Zobrist is going to primarily be a LF now whether he wants to or not. A first round pick might actually be more useful to the organization, gotta stock the farm system back up.

Almora can develop in AAA for all I care. Not sure why the Cubs would turn the reigns over to him at this stage.

I also think there is plenty of space for guys if Fowler comes back. Schwarber won't play against lefties. Baez is the backup at every other infield position so Zobrist is still going to play a bunch of 2B. Schwarber, Fowler, Heyward, Soler, Almora, and Zobrist part-time is a nice, flexible outfield. If it gets too crowded you can trade Soler or send Almora down to AAA till he can learn to take a walk.

The Cubs have 2 needs this offseason. Bullpen and CF. They have a bunch of money to spend unless they're planning on dropping payroll (remember Edwin Jackson was still being paid $12 million by this team last season).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Joe Maddon is already trying to argue that Chris Coghlan can be a reliever.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Has anyone else heard back from our good friends at Dr. Pepper because I'm starting to think I was conned into spending $1.75 on a terrible drink?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CubsWoo posted:

You put him back in AAA and have Heyward be the everyday CF, it's not like this team as constructed is short on corner outfielders

Oh no I know that, I just wasn't clear which player he was talking about there. Fowler will never regress because he is amazing and beautiful :allears:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Except it's the opposite and the Cardinals are one of the primary places Fowler is expected to draw interest so :v:

Nail Rat posted:

If the Cubs go all in on Fowler they might as well package up Almora for pitching. The OF is already logjammed without Dex, so if you add him back in I think Almora is well and truly position blocked.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Are there any other CF on the market this offseason the Cubs could get? Not saying they should definitely sign Fowler but they really don't have a ton of other needs and spending $35 million or whatever on the bullpen doesn't seem like a Theo move.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Are there any other CF on the market this offseason the Cubs could get? Not saying they should definitely sign Fowler but they really don't have a ton of other needs and spending $35 million or whatever on the bullpen doesn't seem like a Theo move.

Center Fielders

Peter Bourjos (30) (0.1 WAR)
Michael Bourn (34) (0.3 WAR)
Yoenis Cespedes (31) (2.9 WAR)
Coco Crisp (37) (0.4 WAR)
Rajai Davis (36) (0.4 WAR)
Ian Desmond (31) (2.7 WAR)
Dexter Fowler (31) (4.2 WAR)
Sam Fuld (35) (DNP 2016)
Carlos Gomez (31) (0.1 WAR)
Tyler Holt (28) (-1.0 WAR)
Austin Jackson (30) (-0.1 WAR)
Jon Jay (32) (1.1 WAR)
Desmond Jennings (30) (0.9 WAR)
Alex Presley (31) (-0.9 WAR)
Logan Schafer (30) (0.1 WAR)
Drew Stubbs (32) (-0.7 WAR)

A lot of old lotto tickets, a guy who's going to get loving paid in Cespedes and a bunch of 'eh, I guess I'm ok with him' picks

CubsWoo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 7, 2016

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

CubsWoo posted:

A 2-4 WAR CF and leadoff guy who turns 31 right before Opening Day should probably get at least $18MM AAV over a 5 or 6 year deal

there is no way in hell someone is giving him 5 or 6 years at 18 aav come on. for someone who posts essays about stats everyday you should know better.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

CubsWoo posted:

Dexter Fowler (31) (4.2 WAR)
Sam Fuld (35) (DNP 2016)

gently caress me, how did little Sam Fuld get that old? He's perpetually 25 in my head.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Scob posted:

there is no way in hell someone is giving him 5 or 6 years at 18 aav come on. for someone who posts essays about stats everyday you should know better.

He's the #2 CF on the market playing a position where Fowler would probably be an upgrade anywhere but Anaheim, Boston and Tampa and with Cespedes on the market coming off a $25MM AAV contract (plus the general inflation in contracts over the last 3 years) I don't see why Fowler wouldn't get something like 5/90 or 6/105 with opt-outs in year 2 or 3.

Some team is going to see Cespedes get an absurd AAV and think of Fowler at a 17-18AAV price as a bargain, probably explained with 'technically Fowler was better than Cespedes by WAR in 2016, and...'

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Pancakes posted:

It's actually our primary need, based on what I'm reading. The current plan seems to be shift Grichuk to left, Carpenter to first, Peralta/Gyorko to third, get a natural CF. If Bader can play it great but I don't think Pham is viewed as a long-term option. Lots of Charlie Blackmon rumors among the wishful-thinking Cards fans.

drat it. I assumed Grichuk was in CF to stay. :argh:

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I was thinking 4 years, $72 million for Fowler would be a fair deal but I'm guessing he'll push for a 5th or 6th year.

The nice thing about Fowler is he has some decent pop in his bat so you could always move him over to LF at the end of a contract. I know it might not be worth it for the Cubs but having a high OBP guy up before Rizzo, Bryant, and Schwarber feels really important. I'm guessing if they lose him Zobrist becomes the leadoff guy?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Explosionface posted:

gently caress me, how did little Sam Fuld get that old? He's perpetually 25 in my head.

He was 27 in his first full season (got a cup o' coffee at 25 then spent the entire next year in the minors again)

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

A Handy User Guide to Post Curse Life is a pro-read. I especially enjoyed the shade thrown Dan Shaughnessy's way and the conclusion.

quote:

If ever Theo Epstein finds himself in organizational power struggle …
take Theo’s side, no matter what. If you’re going to trust Red Sox fans on anything, my Chicago friends, trust ‘em on this.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

drat it. I assumed Grichuk was in CF to stay. :argh:

As fun as last year was with a CF who literally couldn't throw at times, we have an opening in LF and Grichuk's already bulked up over the past 12 months. He has some fun highlight catches but I like him more as a corner outfielder.

I had a dream two days ago that we emptied a lot of our farm system, along with our surplus of starting pitching and infielders for Mike Trout and Paul Goldschmidt in an obscene overreaction to the Cubs winning. The difference between me and a lot of Cardinals fans is that I know my dream was outlandish and will never happen. :sigh:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I'll probably lock myself in the bathroom and cry if Dexter Fowler signs with the Cardinals.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

DeepDickPizza posted:

I'll probably lock myself in the bathroom and cry if Dexter Fowler signs with the Cardinals.

:ohdear::hf::ohdear:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

That's fine but do the Cubs spend the money on the bullpen or more crazy Trump ads?

• Locked thread