Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

So would the rest of the league I imagine.

Why's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

DR AIDS posted:

Why's that?

So many syllables, it makes them tired.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Jokes on everyone, they are re-hiring Sigi immediately in prep for the next playoff round.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

Jokes on everyone, they are re-hiring Sigi immediately in prep for the next playoff round.

I'm actually the new coach, and will immediately be hiring Shalrie Joseph's shambling corpse.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

DR AIDS posted:

Why's that?

Because he's an average coach at best. I guarantee you Sigi would still be coach and you'd be in the same position or better had Lagerway waited 4 days and Lodeiro played one game under him. Your success has not been down to coaching in the second half of this season. It's entirely down to the fact that your team was built around having an attacking mid orchestrate your offense and you didn't have a good one. Lodeiro was your missing piece and was identified by Sigi. Lo, and behold, he shows up and you guys play like a goddamned team. Must be the coach. Couldn't be the DP hired to specifically address your biggest flaw.

The reason the rest of the league will be happy is because instead of going out and getting a great coach, y'all settled for just 'ok'.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Because he's an average coach at best. I guarantee you Sigi would still be coach and you'd be in the same position or better had Lagerway waited 4 days and Lodeiro played one game under him. Your success has not been down to coaching in the second half of this season. It's entirely down to the fact that your team was built around having an attacking mid orchestrate your offense and you didn't have a good one. Lodeiro was your missing piece and was identified by Sigi. Lo, and behold, he shows up and you guys play like a goddamned team. Must be the coach. Couldn't be the DP hired to specifically address your biggest flaw.

The reason the rest of the league will be happy is because instead of going out and getting a great coach, y'all settled for just 'ok'.

Another flaw was the 4-3-3 that Sigi stuck with even after Martins left, because he's a stubborn bastard. To be honest I liked Sigi a lot, but during playoffs he seemed to go so conservative, and sometimes ridiculous (see: ancient Shalrie Joseph starting at forward, or Montero up top by himself for the first time all year), and it was really quite annoying.

Also I'm pretty doubtful Sigi would've managed winning 10 and only losing 2 of the last 16 games, but we'll never know. What we do know is Schmetzer did, so if that's "just ok" I'm quite fine with that. He also managed to not gently caress up the first leg of a playoff game, which was quite nice for a change.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

On one hand, I think this is definitely true from a tactical standpoint. But from a man management standpoint, I do think Sigi had lost the team, so Schmetzer is a breath of fresh air for them all. It remains to be seen if he can up his other skills.

With no one really available right now, I'm fine with trying it.

e: Additionally, Schmetzer was no slouch at the USL level, he got two championships and only missed the playoffs once in six years. And I'm sure he's been paying attention for the past 8 years.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 2, 2016

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
well, there you go

https://twitter.com/SoundersFC/status/794000849378873344

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Probably should've waited until after this weekend's 4-0 loss.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
What does NYCFC's performance have to do with our coaching situation?

(I wanted to say "LA's", but that would involve the impossible scenario of Colorado scoring more than one goal)

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
As of November 2016, I have never seen Gerrard win the league.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That was ill from Piatti

E: not gdt, point stands

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Piatti is the truth

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Piatti is awesome

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

Piatti is awesome

I like this Piatti guy, too bad he's old enough that he doesn't have too many years left in him.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

whypick1 posted:

What does NYCFC's performance have to do with our coaching situation?

(I wanted to say "LA's", but that would involve the impossible scenario of Colorado scoring more than one goal)

who is this man who looks into the future and sees the tears of NYCFC?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

NYCFCLOLQTIYD

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

thelazyblank posted:

who is this man who looks into the future and sees the tears of NYCFC?

Bah, Gio screwed up my clairvoyant powers in ET there

(worth it, because gently caress NYCFC)

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I really hope Giovinco wins it all. Will the MLS trophy look comically large next to him?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
So there's only for teams left, and every team has a cool story to finish. Only one championship between the lot, only one Original 10 team. Canada will have its first crack at a Cup final, no matter what happens. A mid season firing might turn out to be the spark that ignites a trophy run. The reigning MVP might send the trophy north. Defense might send the trophy up the Rockies. A resurgent team gelling at the right time might turn Ole into Allez.

Colorado might bore us to death and win on defense. Montreal might rip the league apart with those clinical goals. Toronto might get dragged to glory on the back of Sebastian Giovinco. Seattle might overcome a Tuesday home game to add a star to its already-bigger-than-Jersey's honors.

It's gonna be a cool month for our stupid old league. There's only five soccer games left. Let's have fun!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The only team left I'm ok with winning is Colorado

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I feel that Seattle should win and Toronto should win. And then, we as a team of smug evil can squash the long suffering Toronto like bugs. And the darkness begins.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I have seen the future guys

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm going to laugh so hard if the cup final comes down to Colorado vs. Toronto and Drew Moore and Clint Irwin lose to the Rapids.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
We don't start the WCF for sixteen days!? Jesus, the world could end by then.

Well, if that's true, then at least the Sounders went out on a high note.

Seriously though, this team could use some R&R, that injury report is piling up.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

shirts and skins posted:

We don't start the WCF for sixteen days!? Jesus, the world could end by then.

The ONE time we actually unequivocally respect international breaks. :colbert:

I literally said in preseason (when the Rapids traded Irwin to Toronto and people Elsewhere On The Internet were complaining that the Rapids were dumb for giving Toronto a key piece for a title run) that if Colorado managed to make the Cup final only to lose to Toronto that I'm sure they would be kicking themselves just before the world ended.

Boy isn't that egg on my face.

On an unrelated note I just realised (thanks to an otherwise terrible English tabloid article I won't bother to link) that both Lampard and Gerrard's contracts end this year and they both ended their seasons and likely careers in ignominious playoff defeats on the same day and it is such poetic schadenfreude I may need to consult a doctor.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

moor is the best defender in the league

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Jesus Christ anyone but Seattle. Please Jobu.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Seattle is going to win it all just to spite everyone (especially here) and to gently caress NYC out of a CCL spot.

I think Colorado is going to beat us tbh

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Our average manager got further than yours, nyah nyah nyah

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Was Taters posted:

Our average manager got further than yours, nyah nyah nyah

It helps when your players don't let you down. Why do people let Englishmen take penalties?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

It helps when your players don't let you down. Why do people let Englishmen take penalties?

But Gerrard the one of Englishman actually made his?

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 9, 2016

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Apparently that was Cole's first penalty kick as a professional? hosed up if true.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Bastian Schweinsteiger has been seen meeting with Chicago coach Veljko Paunovic. Apparently the Fire have a discovery claim on him as well.

He's over the hill, but he wouldn't be the worst signing in the world.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hello Towel posted:

Bastian Schweinsteiger has been seen meeting with Chicago coach Veljko Paunovic. Apparently the Fire have a discovery claim on him as well.

He's over the hill, but he wouldn't be the worst signing in the world.

Schweini is still young enough that he could have a couple years of years of dominance in MLS.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

binge crotching posted:

Schweini is still young enough that he could have a couple years of years of dominance in MLS.

He couldn't really hack in it England and he's going to find that he won't here either. He's Gerrard 2.0. Great when he's there, but gone for most of the season with injuries.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hello Towel posted:

Apparently the Fire have a discovery claim on him as well.
I hate the fact that you can "claim" right of first refusal to a well-known German World Cup veteran.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

He couldn't really hack in it England and he's going to find that he won't here either. He's Gerrard 2.0. Great when he's there, but gone for most of the season with injuries.

Is Will Johnson still playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

porkface posted:

Is Will Johnson still playing?

He died for the Canadian Championship.

• Locked thread