Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How much are we talking here? I'm kinda surprised there's not a charity that just literally buys slaves and then frees them, even if they'd also have to set up work for them so they don't starve to death.

Those charities actually do exist, but their activities are discouraged by the UN for legitimizing slavery.

Slavery exists pretty much anywhere that the Arab and African worlds intersect, it's a big problem in Sudan too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

BCR posted:

Harbin

Seems about right

The inside of that church is almost in ruins and they converted it into some kind of bullshit museum instead of leaving it as a living church.

I think Mall Number One (there are at least four in the series) is near there, which is where I got my boombox that I gave away when I left. I don't remember really.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How much are we talking here? I'm kinda surprised there's not a charity that just literally buys slaves and then frees them, even if they'd also have to set up work for them so they don't starve to death.

They'd just drown in logistics and scale and culture.

Need to have a revolution or people's uprising or something, and that won't happen until there's a incentive to stop slaving. Besides basic human respect.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phlegmish posted:

Those charities actually do exist, but their activities are discouraged by the UN for legitimizing slavery.
This makes sense. I don't buy a completely demand-based argument but I could see it making it worse on a lot of levels. Never really thought about it before :shobon:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

This makes sense. I don't buy a completely demand-based argument but I could see it making it worse on a lot of levels. Never really thought about it before :shobon:

The same argument is being made about adoption. There isn't the same level of orphans as used to be but a large demand from the west for quality babies to adopt. You can probably see where this is going. The :smith: way.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Outside of many Buddhist temples there's a guy that has caged birds and turtles in a tank and poo poo like that. For a small donation he will set the birds free or plop one of the turtles into a nearby canal. This allows you to make merit. It also guarantees that he'll be back in that spot the next day with another cage full of sparrows.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I'm kinda surprised there's not a charity that just literally buys slaves and then frees them

This is a terrible idea if you think it through just a little.

Imagine you're a slaver. Before you had to find discrete buyers for your slaves and there was only so much volume. Now this big charity is buying out slaves left and right to set em free. Should you start rounding up more slaves or less?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

Outside of many Buddhist temples there's a guy that has caged birds and turtles in a tank and poo poo like that. For a small donation he will set the birds free or plop one of the turtles into a nearby canal. This allows you to make merit. It also guarantees that he'll be back in that spot the next day with another cage full of sparrows.

The trick to maximizing merit is to beat the man to death with a stick and release the animals.

Kind of like throwing bankers off of skyscrapers to gain karma.

Chomp8645 posted:

This is a terrible idea if you think it through just a little.

Imagine you're a slaver. Before you had to find discrete buyers for your slaves and there was only so much volume. Now this big charity is buying out slaves left and right to set em free. Should you start rounding up more slaves or less?

Now you've got a large army of hungry slaves. If you've got enough money to buy a poo poo ton of slaves you've also probably got enough money to arm them. And there's guy with a whole bunch of money to buy more slaves with.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Phlegmish posted:

Slavery exists pretty much anywhere that the Arab and African worlds intersect, it's a big problem in Sudan too

Lol you don't have to go that far. Pimping and trafficking is right in our own backyard. Death sentence for pimps and human traffickers.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

The trick to maximizing merit is to beat the man to death with a stick and release the animals.

Now you've got a large army of hungry slaves. If you've got enough money to buy a poo poo ton of slaves you've also probably got enough money to arm them. And there's guy with a whole bunch of money to buy more slaves with.

That's much more workable than my idea of putting a bunch of bird freedom vendors in jail and releasing them for a reasonable donation.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Speleothing posted:

Unfortunately, the American SW is full of lovely matchstick McMansions that need to run ac on full blast for 9 months of the year. Building the easy way instead of the climate-appropriate way is the case for construction companies everywhere.

Finland is full of airtight modern houses which has lead to massive problems with asthma and allergies as the weird plastics and lacquers used will release a constant flow of volatile organic compounds into the air. I think it's gotten better recently but if you have a house or workplace built in the 80s or 90s you can pretty much expect to get poisoned.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Vesi posted:

Finland is full of airtight modern houses which has lead to massive problems with asthma and allergies as the weird plastics and lacquers used will release a constant flow of volatile organic compounds into the air. I think it's gotten better recently but if you have a house or workplace built in the 80s or 90s you can pretty much expect to get poisoned.

The thing to do there is to put in an Energy Recovery Ventilator, a relatively cheap unit that combines an intake fan, an exhaust fan, and an air to air heat exchanger, so you can bring in constant fresh air without wasting energy.

In the US southwest, evaporative or "swamp" coolers make a ton of sense and use a fraction of the energy of AC, while also raising humidity which helps with pollen allergies.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Vesi posted:

Finland is full of airtight modern houses which has lead to massive problems with asthma and allergies as the weird plastics and lacquers used will release a constant flow of volatile organic compounds into the air. I think it's gotten better recently but if you have a house or workplace built in the 80s or 90s you can pretty much expect to get poisoned by Chinese garbage.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what clean facilities! I guess you dont need to follow health codes when what you are making isnt considered food

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Outrail posted:

Interesting. Arm the slaves, then go full Khaleesi on the slavers.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Sheep-Goats posted:

That's much more workable than my idea of putting a bunch of bird freedom vendors in jail and releasing them for a reasonable donation.

Actually, thinking about it is (IF) the man selling the birds is just raising them and treating them right and if he's clever having them trained to fly to another cage so he can resell them it's not that bad. What are the chances those animals lead relatively comfortable happy lives?

normal contact posted:

Interesting. Arm the slaves, then go full Khaleesi on the slavers.

Yes. Now you have Ex-slave salve owners and Ex-slave owner slaves who need liberating. Thus your business model is sustainable and you can continue taking advantage of the slave trade for years to..... wait why are we doing this again?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Nov 7, 2016

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

So are they making plastic rice, filling bags, and trying to pass it off as legit rice, or are they only filling bags 75% with real rice and scamming the last 25% with the plastic stuff? I can't imagine people who have been eating rice their entire lives would be fooled if you gave them a bowl that was 100% plastic.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Blistex posted:

So are they making plastic rice, filling bags, and trying to pass it off as legit rice, or are they only filling bags 75% with real rice and scamming the last 25% with the plastic stuff? I can't imagine people who have been eating rice their entire lives would be fooled if you gave them a bowl that was 100% plastic.

You'd think they would find more evidence of this, on the street.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

ocrumsprug posted:

You'd think they would find more evidence of this, on the street.

All I've heard of it is the same few sensationalist stories, and nothing that actually says, "Li was shocked to find that his rice was in fact mostly plastic". Also it appears that the video posted was filmed in Vietnam.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
One of the comments on that link says it's just the process of recycling plastic and turning it into pellets, which sounds pretty plausible to me.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Outrail posted:

Actually, thinking about it is (IF) the man selling the birds is just raising them and treating them right and if he's clever having them trained to fly to another cage so he can resell them it's not that bad. What are the chances those animals lead relatively comfortable happy lives?

Yes. Now you have Ex-slave salve owners and Ex-slave owner slaves who need liberating. Thus your business model is sustainable and you can continue taking advantage of the slave trade for years to..... wait why are we doing this again?

The birds are usually as dingy and battered looking as the bird vendor so it's hard to say

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
chinese people eat plastic rice?! thats crazy~

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

why would you sell plastic rice when it's way more expensive to produce than regular lovely rice?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

Mauritania (and many other places people are desperate to gtfo of) is getting into the lucrative skype dating scam industry.
http://romancescamsnow.com/scammer-albums-lists/

Which Chinagoon had the coworker who was totally worried about her Nigerian prince?

lol it was me :ughh: I wonder where that girl is now. she went back to Inner Mongolia to take care of her aging parents in 2013. I wonder how that's going for her

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Great Autismo! posted:

lol it was me :ughh: I wonder where that girl is now. she went back to Inner Mongolia to take care of her aging parents in 2013. I wonder how that's going for her

oh someone please repost this story please oh please

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Blistex posted:

All I've heard of it is the same few sensationalist stories, and nothing that actually says, "Li was shocked to find that his rice was in fact mostly plastic". Also it appears that the video posted was filmed in Vietnam.
The more likely explanation is well it makes no sense.

No one is going to get the two confused. They don't have the same look, feel, smell, properties, or taste.

You could screw people over at the distribution level where the bags aren't opened, but I'm not convinced plastic pellets are cheaper than rice. Especially in a part of the world where rice is grown.

They are both really cheap, but it just seems completely pointless on any scale.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 8, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

oh someone please repost this story please oh please

it was this girl jenny who was from inner mongolia. she was a super sweet girl but very book smart but not the most logical. she believed everything she was told. for example one day it was super ominous clouds on the 33rd floor of our building and i said "its gonna pour soon" and jenny said "I saw the weather today, it said it would just be cloudy" and my coworker said "look outside, its going to start raining any second" and jenny said "no" so she went to the internet and told us "it says it is cloudy, but no rain" and then like three minutes later it started absolutely pouring and she said "tga, you are correct, now it is raining" and i said "yes i know" and she said "how did you know it would rain?" she was just floored that it wasn't just cloudy, even though looking out the window i think any person from the united states would be like "whoa boy its gonna storm in any second". she was also completely and utterly floored that any foreigner in our office could understand or speak some chinese, even though every day she heard foreigners speaking chinese. she also would ask foreigners more than once "do you know mao zedong?" and we would say "yes of course" and she would say something like "wow, you know so much about china. he was a very good man" and then that would be the extent of our conversation.

it was her job to help prepare chinese students to go to university in the united states. i'm not sure how she got this job, or who interviewed her, other than the fact that i know i did not take part in any of that process.

anyway, in 2012 in our office she asked me if there was a noun form of "assassinate" and i said yeah its assassination. that seemed kinda like a weird thing to ask in the office so i said "out of curiosity, why?" and she said "I'm writing an email to my friend" so i went over to her computer and it was like "Dear Prince N'Galbo'Omini, I am sorry to hear of your great father's assassination" and i was like "n ono no no no no no no" and she said "what" and i said "this is a scam, don't respond to the person" and she showed me she had emailed this person a handful of times and said something like "he wanted to be my friend" or something like that so she decided they could be friends. another foreigner, this guy andy, said "jenny, please stop emailing this person" and she was like "alright i understand" and then a minute later she and another chinese girl were talking in chinese about how much it would cost to go visit her friend in africa and andy and i were like :ughh:

she applied to a master's program in the united states and got in, she was 25 and pretty sweet, but her parents were in rural inner monoglia and told her she couldn't go and that she had to go take care of them and find a husband in their little town, and she was like "ok" so she just up and left one day in 2013 iirc. she's probably married back in inner mongolia with someone that her parents chose for her that has a decent apartment in rural inner mongolia and she probably has a kid by now as well, and she'll spend the rest of her life there taking care of her parents and her child, until she becomes old and her child goes away to university and then she tells her child it is time to get married so that they can have a grandkid and that they can move home and take care of her for the rest of her life. it's the cirrrrrrcleeee of liffeeeeeee, dunn dunnnn

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Khorne posted:

You could screw people over at the distribution level where the bags aren't opened, but I'm not convinced plastic pellets are cheaper than rice. Especially in a part of the world where rice is grown.

They are both really cheap, but it just seems completely pointless on any scale.

like I said about the fake eggs: I just don't get it.
I mean, I suppose if you got a truck of rubber balls and seashell dust for free and were like "huh, what should I do with this windfall? I know, fake eggs!" but otherwise it must cost more than actual eggs.

fake rice I can understand a little more because it's just slivers of plastic which are probably free/ almost free anyhow. I assume they just mix some in like cutting heroin with baby laxative or whatever

EDIT:

dipshit chick from Mongolia...

holy poo poo does she sound korean. I guess that's where that idiot gene comes from

thanks for the story, man

ladron fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 8, 2016

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
It would make sense if you tried to pass the plastic rice off as some sort of fancy gourmet rice and then be all like "oh, it's supposed to feel and taste like that".

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
start a rumor or write an article bout how plastic rice gives you crazy boner skills for sex and jack up the price and you will make an absolute fortune

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

start a rumor or write an article bout how plastic rice gives you crazy boner skills for sex and jack up the price and you will make an absolute fortune

it totally does because the little pieces of plastic get into your dick's blood and make it hard. SCIENCE!!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Guys! Guys! The Chinese aerospace industry is decades ahead of the west, DEC-ADES I tell you!!

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/china-j-20-fighter-jet/

quote:

Take the J-20 front canards, the elevator-like surfaces ahead of the wing. They’re no good for stealth flight, and they’re likely there to counteract an inherent instability in the design. The J-20 lacks the maneuverability and electronics, communications, and sensing capabilities of its US counterparts. “In head-to-head combat, the J-20 would lose in seconds,” Aboulafia says.

To be fair though, the J20 is probably enough to bully some of China's weaker neighbors as well as good enough to sell to some tin pot dictators around the globe.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

fish and chips and dip posted:

Guys! Guys! The Chinese aerospace industry is decades ahead of the west, DEC-ADES I tell you!!

https://www.wired.com/2016/11/china-j-20-fighter-jet/

To be fair though, the J20 is probably enough to bully some of China's weaker neighbors as well as good enough to sell to some tin pot dictators around the globe.

360 degree field of view sounds like it was just put in for the wow factor. I know nothing really about military aviation but that A) seems like a whole extra 180 degrees to keep track of in intense situations and B) Your wingman or people in your flight should be able to watch your back if it comes down to it. Hell I'm not even sure there is a need for it given that missile engagement ranges are long a hell.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
There's got to be more practical ways to make money with plastic beads...

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Telsa Cola posted:

360 degree field of view sounds like it was just put in for the wow factor. I know nothing really about military aviation but that A) seems like a whole extra 180 degrees to keep track of in intense situations and B) Your wingman or people in your flight should be able to watch your back if it comes down to it. Hell I'm not even sure there is a need for it given that missile engagement ranges are long a hell.

Yeah, for people who's knowledge of dogfights are based on Top Gun it seems impressive, truth is more often than not a fighter pilot won't ever see the enemy craft except as a dot on the radar.

This is how close range (~1.5 miles) looks like in the cockpit:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

quote:

And the jet will ensure dominance in the region once it enters service, around 2018. “China will then have a solid technological edge in air-to-air combat over all its Asian neighbors, including Japan, Indonesia, Vietnam, and others,” says military analyst Peter Singer. That will of course extend to its allies who purchase the jets, Singer says, including countries in Africa, southeast Asia, the Middle East, and South America.

Plus, China will likely build a ton of the J-20 and J-31 (itself a knockoff of the F-35), and could exceed US production of the F-22 and F-35 within a few years. “The airplanes don’t have to be as good if they’re wielded in greater numbers, or in certain scenarios that can create major complications for the U.S. and its allies,” Singer says. In a way, China gets a second-mover advantage. “They don’t have to innovate; they simply have to catch up.”

Peter Singer is really dumb

Reminder: Japan has F-35's

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Fojar38 posted:

Peter Singer is really dumb

Reminder: Japan has F-35's

Also, isn't the Vietnamese airforce famous for punching well above their weight?

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

UltraRed posted:

Koreans make the best Japanese food. Not a fake post.

Based on Korean items on the menu and what I hear being yelled from the kitchen, I estimate 90% of Japanese restaurants in Phoenix are run by Koreans.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Telsa Cola posted:

It hasn't been tested ever really but it's almost certain that there is no such thing as a dogfight any more, if you get seen you get a missile up your rear end and there's no way to dodge a modern anti air missile. However the last time there were possible dogfights having better visibility was one of the most important things about your aircraft as a lot of scenarios lead to this pattern of your plane and your opponent's plane trying to go straight to into the air to get higher than the other one. At some point no jet can sustain going straight up any more and tips back toward earth and at this point you really want to be able to see your opponent so you can either plan for a round two if he's higher than you by twisting into a position that forces that or else come down on top of him so you can shoot at him if you're higher. There are probably other reasons too but feedback from pilots is going to involve visibility pretty often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

just use the nukes

• Locked thread