Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

original mac ui was super amazing. it's even usable by today's standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
back then computers were so slow that you actually had to use the os-provided ui widgets.

pentium ruined everything and after that every gui has looked like babby's first winamp skin

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

mishaq posted:

there's seriously usb 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2?

they couldn't have named it usb 3.2?

also lol at the clusterfuck that is thunderbolt 3 with usb c cables

technically the formal names of the standards are usb 3.0 superspeed and usb 3.0 superspeed+ 10 gb/s

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

what is the stray 2.0 even in the cursor blink bit?

old macos was certainly not always pretty, but pretty hard to argue with the usability in an age where the closest competition were about to bring out microsoft bob 12 years later

2.0x as fast

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wheany posted:

back then computers were so slow that you actually had to use the os-provided ui widgets.

pentium ruined everything and after that every gui has looked like babby's first winamp skin

I was so annoyed when WPF came out and suddenly every app on windows looked so lovely.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
whoa

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
lol at actually having your phone tell you to go to bed

who owns who???

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XSC_UG5_kU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Shifty Pony posted:

my phone does not have the force-touchy so I can just pull down the alarm. it even has a little bar on the bottom of the alarm box to let you know about it.

yet again the SE proves to be the superior iPhone.

does just pulling down on that notification actually work for you? with ios x I've started to have to sort of slide the shade up and then pull it down to get to actions, took me a while to figure out

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I will never watch this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pulling down the notification works but honestly i had to post in an internet forums of mega nerds to dind that our

ufarn
May 30, 2009
remember how griffin was going to fix apple's poo poo with their magsafe replacement

quote:

With the 15-inch MacBook Pro, Apple includes a USB-C charger and block with 87W of power. This means that the included charger will be able to adequately charge the MacBook Pro’s 76-watt-hour battery, which Apple says offers up to 10 hours of juice.

The BreakSafe, however, is only capable of reaching 60W of power. This means that charging the 15-inch MacBook Pro will take longer than expected or could even not be able to charge the device when under heavy use.

Griffin notes of this discrepancy on its website, too. The company lists the 12-inch MacBook and the 2016 13-inch MacBook Pro as the only Macs with which BreakSafe is compatible.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

lol his gestures actually match up

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Last Chance posted:

I will never watch this.

i will never not watch this

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Last Chance posted:

I will never watch this.

its loving great so click it

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

as good as the GTX 970 video. maybe better

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

as good as the GTX 970 video. maybe better

linkuu~?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

its loving great so click it

it looks so boring and predictable that i probably don't need to.

"this macbook pro doesn't have the thing..! *gestures wildly* and gets more excited"

its the new hitler dub thing and its overdone

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Last Chance posted:

"this macbook pro doesn't have the thing..! *gestures wildly* and gets more excited"

youre such a dweeb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTsXtu3ivko

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Last Chance posted:

:qq:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

from the sound of your responses, i'm right

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Last Chance posted:

from the sound of your responses, i'm right

*snort*

*pushes up frame of glasses with one finger*

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah wow, ouch

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it's me, forums poster Last Chance. I'm too cool to laugh at funny videos, they're just dreadful. I've read Das Kapital ten times

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
to be fair, the star citizen one is better

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it was a funny video the first time i saw it

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

its not even the guy laughing --- it's what is written and it just works so well

"remove all the ports and sell them as dongles"

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Shaggar, since I am very disappointed by Apple's new Macbook Professionals, I'm looking at those new X1 Yogas from Lenovo with the OLED screens. Worth it?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
do you like an oversaturated display with terrible viewing angles that will experience burn-in and lose ~30% of its brightness in three years?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vintersorg posted:

its not even the guy laughing --- it's what is written and it just works so well

"remove all the ports and sell them as dongles"

ill take your word for it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Wheany posted:

if you've never used macintosh system 6 on an se or se/30 or other fast late-80s mac it's worth trying it out sometime

the system is snappy when booted and run from a floppy disk, and when it's on a 20mb scsi hard drive it's more responsive than any modern operating system (with graphics) on the fastest computer with the fastest SSD

modern computers really suck in this regard.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

atomicthumbs posted:

if you've never used macintosh system 6 on an se or se/30 it's worth trying it out sometime

the system is snappy when booted and run from a floppy disk, and when it's on a 20mb scsi hard drive it's more responsive than any modern operating system (with graphics) on the fastest computer with the fastest SSD

modern computers really suck in this regard.

Yeah no one knows how to write software anymore. Instead of trying to maximize efficiency they just rely on the next iteration of hardware being fast enough that the wait times don't change too much.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i write my UIs on node and webkit. poo poo runs fast af

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shillary posted:

Yeah no one knows how to write software anymore. Instead of trying to maximize efficiency they just rely on the next iteration of hardware being fast enough that the wait times don't change too much.

i think the first macintosh programmers were probably just really good and smart

like isn't there a thing like where the UI guy hadn't actually seen the Xerox Alto in person, so he didn't know that it couldn't support opening more than one window at a time, so he just figured out how to make the macintosh composite multiple windows on top of each other because that's how it seemed it should work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

trilljester posted:

Shaggar, since I am very disappointed by Apple's new Macbook Professionals, I'm looking at those new X1 Yogas from Lenovo with the OLED screens. Worth it?

idk I haven't seen lenovos irl for years cause most of them are garbage now. get an xps 13 or 15

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
oh my god I used natural scrolling for a day and now they both feel wrong

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

natural scrolling is Correct. it's hard for me to use legacy scrolling now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

natural scrolling is correct on a touchscreen and acceptable on a touchpad, but it's totally and blatantly backwards on a mouse scrollwheel. why apple defaults their mice to "scroll wheel down = move up on the page" i will never loving understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

natural scrolling is correct on a touchscreen and acceptable on a touchpad, but it's totally and blatantly backwards on a mouse scrollwheel. why apple defaults their mice to "scroll wheel down = move up on the page" i will never loving understand

agreed.

i also don't understand why they won't let me set them independently.

• Locked thread