Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Accidentally bought a position in MSFT in the wrong account on Friday at $58.80. Proceeded to buy another position in MSFT right after at $59.85 in the right account with the hope I could pay off the commission within the volatility. MSFT as well as the market has been kind of beaten down for the past week or two, so I figure it was due for a bump. Also expecting a bump before the election once people took their head out of their asses with all the doomsday predictions.

For once my gently caress-up and subsequent gamble paid off, as I realized a 2.5% overnight gain on the mistaken position and a similar unrealized 3% gain on the correct long term position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I dunno that your tobacco analogy really holds. For one thing cigars and cigarettes are consumed differently by different markets. People aren't buying cigarettes to smoke daily versus cigars because of the cost difference and their method of drug delivery is pretty much the same with similar effects. On the other hand you can smoke poo poo weed all day along and you won't ever get as high as a single bowl of great weed would get you, plus you'll have a ringing headache for your trouble.

I really don't think outdoor trash weed will ever be as popular as you think. I think vast outdoor grows *might* be popular to provide weed for edibles but I don't think people will prefer to buy seedy crappy weed when the top tier stuff is super cheap anyway. If an eighth of high quality hydro costs $30-$40 then I'm not buying ditch weed even for $5/eighth because I'd smoke the entire bag and it wouldn't get me high versus 1-2 decent puffs on the good stuff. Tobacco just doesn't work the same way (plus a decent cigar takes 30-60 mins to smoke). And let's be real, crops grown on vast outdoor plots will be trash weed. There's just no getting around it - we're talking about pre-sensimilla days type stuff.

Plus from what I've seen, most people who smoke weed who are presented with the choice a club offers almost *never* opt to buy the crappier weed that is cheaper, and a huge number of them end up buying the extracts and waxes and tinctures that are even stronger than the best hydro nugs at even more premium prices. We're talking about drug users here, after all (I say that as someone who smokes weed a lot).

I think industrial hemp will be a much more popular crop on those marginal farm lands. Either way though, I agree that it's too early to be investing in weed stuff. I haven't seen a decent ETF and I don't think I will until there are some more serious companies in the industry - it's kind of a bit too 'wild west' for me at the moment. Example: half the edibles found in the club are blatant copyright infringement (Stoney Rancher, BuddahFinger, KeefKat, Pot-Tarts) that is in a word toxic as hell from an investment standpoint. I don't really care what their sales look like if they are going to get slammed with fat lawsuits they will surely lose as soon as they take off.

That said yeah there are a couple more serious looking companies that might be worth looking at but I don't think they are publicly trade-able in any way regardless (based on research I did half a year or more ago, granted).

paternity suitor posted:

I've taken exactly one grow class, and have approximately zero crop growing experience outside of that, but one of the things we were taught was the importance of fooling the plants regarding the season. In a controlled environment, you can fool the plants into staying in a growth season for a long time, which gives you much better yields. Cannabis plants only yield buds when they're about to die, which happens in the fall. So you trick them into growing a lot by simulating summer light, and then you trick them into budding and dying by decreasing light. Indoors, you also have many more harvests per year too.

Yeah an outdoor grow will yield harvest maybe a couple times a year really depending on the genetics, but with an indoor grow you can fool the plantto start flowering early (and without worrying about it actually dying on you) and get a harvest every 45-60 days depending on harvest (I'm sure that number will go down as well once there is more money in marijuana genetics). So yeah electricity is expensive but you're talking literally 10x or more the yield of higher margin/priced product from an equivalent amount of floor space - without even considering how much more a plant can yield by virtue of an indoor grow - and I dunno that electricity is all *that* expensive.

Also,

pointsofdata posted:

lol Walmart isn't going to start their own grow op

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 7, 2016

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

pointsofdata posted:

lol Walmart isn't going to start their own grow op

Um doesn't Sear Holdings have a poo poo ton of empty Kmarts? Someone get on the board and get this going.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

This is my chance! Can't wait to add Kmart President of N.A. Sticky Icky Solutions to my LinkedIn profile!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Just another quick post because that last one was getting hella long;

I think a much closer analogy would be the way the alcohol industry works. Yes, there are macro brews that are considered not very good - that's going to be your mass produced mids (still mostly indoor though I think). However, there's also a huge market for hard liquor, micro brews, home brews, all kinds of different flavors and blends, etc.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Re indoor legal grow operations, skylights / greenhouses will be an option if you don't have to hide what you're doing from helicopters. Artificial light will only have to make up the difference from optimal vs natural light, not provide 100%

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Business, Finance, and Careers > The Stock Trading Megathread: Marijuana Grow Thread.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
I didn't think I'd wake up today and seriously wonder whether Wal-Mart, Amazon, or Sears would get into a competition to see who could grow the most weed.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
It'll actually be Costco.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Hmmm, good point. They have the most electrolytes, don't they?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I'm ready to buy a penny weed stock. Steer me straight goons, what should I buy 5 bux of

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

POT :v:

e: CBIS (OTK ticker)

DNK fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 7, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
i got some CBIS and it hasn't done jack in the last week. the CANN i got at .90 on the other hand...

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

I'm going to watch the IIPR IPO, it is a REIT specializing in retail and industrial properties associated with medical marijuana. Plus the management is a legitimate REIT management team so i assume they won't take the IPO money and run away to Tijuana.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Walmart could grow on the roof and use solar to power the lights? Might be bearable to shop there stoned.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The real company to look at for weed is Target, who will grow marginally higher quality weed than Walmart but sell it for 25% higher prices.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Not sure why you guys are talking about Walmart and Target and Costco. They have too much to lose since they're not terrible dead companies.

If it's anyone, it's going to be Sears and JC Penney. All that mall space will finally become valuable again.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Not sure why you guys are talking about Walmart and Target and Costco. They have too much to lose since they're not terrible dead companies.

If it's anyone, it's going to be Sears and JC Penney. All that mall space will finally become valuable again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgVS1OhucbI&t=129s

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Isn't Walmart the one that doesn't sell contraceptives because Christian customers would be mad?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
All in TVIX for surprise Trump upset. See you guys on the other side.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

revmoo posted:

All in TVIX for surprise Trump upset. See you guys on the other side.

Ha! I actually thought about throwing a couple thousand at that this morning, but my compliance regulators told me I couldn't do it. I hate working for a bank.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really mad at myself for selling all my FCX when it was at $10.80. Oh well.

Loading up on SWHC, hoping it'll pop if HRC wins.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 8, 2016

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all seriousness, if you don't like outdoor-grown weed, greenhouse/hothouse weed still makes way more sense than weed grown in commercial warehouse space (as if farming in a commercial building would even be legal), and if you're speculating about who will be big in weed once it's nationally legal, I'd be looking at outfits like Monsanto.

Or just go down this list and take your pick:
http://www.croplife.com/top100/

I'd argue that "trash weed" grown on actual farmland will go up in quality a lot, when big agricultural companies are able to apply the full force of their power to the problem. Certainly industrial hemp, too, but don't underestimate the ability of a multibillion dollar agricultural-product genetic engineering firm to design and deliver high-yield acceptable-quality weed by the millions of tons.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 8, 2016

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
I eagerly await the day of ©Kelloggs brand weed, being delivered by an autonomous Amazon drone, twenty minutes after I push my Weed button.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. I've no doubt luxury craft weed will still be a big industry, and perhaps all those microbrew-like companies will wind up consolidated as brands under an umbrella corp the same way most booze companies are... but Budweiser is the King of Beers for a reason.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Microbrewery beer infused with the would be neat.

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
What should I invest in to anticipate the backlash against BIG WEED(tm)?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm just telling you how it works here in Colorado, it's all grown in old warehousing/manufacturing spaces on the outskirts of town that have access to relatively large amounts of cheap energy. Growing outdoors just isn't done. I mean back when it was first legalized I heard a few places did offer some outdoor grown stuff as their absolute cheapest poo poo option, but I haven't heard of that in a long time.

You're imagining Iowa scale corn cultivation maybe in a greenhouse but that's just not how it works. It's a relatively small indoor warehouse business, anything that is not high powered lighting 24x7 just doesn't make as much economic sense.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Do RS or dilution ever end well for companies?

VendaGoat posted:

I eagerly await the day of ©Kelloggs brand weed, being delivered by an autonomous Amazon drone, twenty minutes after I push my Weed button.

Hahaha. You should patent that weed button ASAP

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Hahaha. You should patent that weed button ASAP

You could name it insta-gram

e: oh wait

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I don't think :2bong: are going to buy EVIL GMO MONSANTO WEED but that's just me.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think :2bong: are going to buy EVIL GMO MONSANTO WEED but that's just me.

They already buy evil Monsanto stuff all the time w/o knowing it why would this be any different

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Pryor on Fire is right about weed.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The weed money is in selling weed equipment like extractors.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
Marijuana production is going to look very different once agricorp-sized research budgets turn up.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm just telling you how it works here in Colorado, it's all grown in old warehousing/manufacturing spaces on the outskirts of town that have access to relatively large amounts of cheap energy. Growing outdoors just isn't done. I mean back when it was first legalized I heard a few places did offer some outdoor grown stuff as their absolute cheapest poo poo option, but I haven't heard of that in a long time.

You're imagining Iowa scale corn cultivation maybe in a greenhouse but that's just not how it works. It's a relatively small indoor warehouse business, anything that is not high powered lighting 24x7 just doesn't make as much economic sense.

I'm imagining something like a 100x increase in total consumption nationwide, and I'm imagining that it'll be a nationally-produced product so production will concentrate in the places where it can be grown cheapest. Maybe in Colorado that's in a warehouse, for now, but that's probably because it's very very early days and the hydroponics outfits had a small head start. But there's no technology moat for pot producers and when the industry becomes lucrative and large scale, the big players are going to GMO up that trash weed to get it to the THC content they want and then grow it in the most efficient way possible, which is probably not indoor farms in Colorado.

Maybe you're right and this is going to be the one and only major crop on Earth that is exclusively grown under artificial lighting indoors, but I'm really doubtful.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

coffeetable posted:

Marijuana production is going to look very different once agricorp-sized research budgets turn up.

Yields! I look forward to earnings call discussing THC rendered per acre of cropland, as well as rural radio stations discussing proper NPK balances for marijuana.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I think maybe greenhouses will be a decent middle ground.

I still doubt fully outdoor crops will be very viable. You can GMO all you want there's not much you can really do about the fact that controlling the lighting results in a harvest 10-15x a year versus 1-2x a year with natural light. Idk how you'd prevent fertilization and whatnot even with GMOs.

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe you're right and this is going to be the one and only major crop on Earth that is exclusively grown under artificial lighting indoors, but I'm really doubtful.

I don't think anyone is saying it will be exclusively an indoor artificial light crop. I just don't think vast acres of farmland will be growing weed for personal use like you said earlier.

Also as an aside indoor farming even of food crops is getting pretty popular because conditions can be controlled so easily. An indoor farm in Chicago grows lettuce using 98% less water per head versus regular farms and gets them to harvest 15-20 days faster.

Besides, food crops aren't valuable enough to justify electricity costs so ofc you don't see widespread indoor farming. A pound of tomatoes is like what, $5? Dispensaries pay thousands per pound for good weed and small differences in the product translate to hundreds of dollars difference per pound. You're essentially talking about saving some operating cost by growing outdoors but running the risk of having to sell your product for waaaay less than it would have otherwise netted you. Even if operating cost is cut by half we're still talking about a difference of a few thousand dollars per pound.

Lighting is... what $300/yr per sq meter? That's a negligible cost to be honest if we're talking about a price difference of a couple grand per pound per plant, esp given that indoor grows can flower and harvest the weed 10x a year. If you're growing tomatos then sure it's a huge cost for no reason (essentially a tomato is a tomato is a tomato).

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 8, 2016

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Moridin920 posted:

I think maybe greenhouses will be a decent middle ground.

I still doubt fully outdoor crops will be very viable. You can GMO all you want there's not much you can really do about the fact that controlling the lighting results in a harvest 10-15x a year versus 1-2x a year with natural light.

What you do about it is you grow thousands of acres of it at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

flowinprose posted:

What you do about it is you grow thousands of acres of it at a time.

Why would I pay the rent on thousands of acres of land and all the farming equipment that entails when literally a tenth of the same warehouse space will give me the exact same yield of a much higher quality product with what is ultimately a negligible difference in operating cost given the higher profit potential of the higher quality weed?

Plus to grow weed on that scale outdoors you're either picking buds by hand or using threshers which means you have to replant every time you harvest, the former is costly as hell on that much space and the latter is dumb and wasteful.

I mean what are we really talking about here, a couple hundred bucks in electricity cost per sq meter? It's not that prohibitive.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 8, 2016